Stanley Johnson likes John Calipari, says UK is “biggest school” on his list

Stanley Johnson is one of the top players in America entering this summer’s AAU circuit. The soon-to-be high school senior is a 6’7”, versatile wingman with interest and offers coming from the nation’s best basketball programs, Kentucky included.

Over the weekend, Johnson participated in an EYBL event in Hampton, Virginia and the Lexington Herald-Leader’s Ben Roberts was in the house. Roberts spoke with Johnson about the University of Kentucky following one of his Oakland Soldiers games, and Johnson told him he feels a special bond with John Calipari.

“He’s really excited about me and he really wants me to be there,” Johnson said. “I feel that (from him) more than a lot of other coaches. Coming from the biggest school on my list – quote, unquote – that’s a lot coming from him.”

Johnson’s AAU coach also weighed in on his star player’s recruitment; he told the Herald-Leader that Stanley will go somewhere where he can win.

Johnson plans to take his five official visits to Kentucky, Duke, Florida, Arizona and Oregon, and two unofficials he’ll treat like officials — on his own dime, of course — to UCLA and USC. If he plans to win, he can go ahead and cut that list in half.

[2014 Kentucky target Johnson offers leadership, versatility]

Article written by Drew Franklin

12 Comments for Stanley Johnson likes John Calipari, says UK is “biggest school” on his list

1. KevinM
    11:42 am April 29, 2013 Permalink

Man, I like what SJ is saying….Cal expresses how much he wants him in Blue.

Ready to hear if he’ll be an early decider or does he go through all year?

2. Michael
    11:58 am April 29, 2013 Permalink

Sign him up.

3. SoCal Will
    12:01 pm April 29, 2013 Permalink

I got to see SJ play a game this year. He is one intense kid. Definitely an MKG type. When the ball goes up he immediately looks like a Cal kid.

4. M
    12:02 pm April 29, 2013 Permalink

Ben Roberts does a good job on recruiting news. I was surprised to find out he’s not a UK fan and doesn’t really root for anyone though.

5. kadizkat
    12:12 pm April 29, 2013 Permalink

Drew,I thought the same thing when I saw his list, cut it by half.

6. MemphisCat
    12:17 pm April 29, 2013 Permalink

Come on down, be the next UK superstar and addition to the NBA…I would take a commit now if he really wants to be a Cat, I’m tired of waiting on players to decide.

7. Sam
    12:24 pm April 29, 2013 Permalink

No doubt Cal absolutely LOVES the fact this kid actually talks on the court. Communicating is so important in winning, and I’m not sure he ever got the team to talk to each other this year. Well, he got Harrow to shout out meaningless phrases, but besides that, I think this team’s potential was hampered severely by the lack of communication/leadership skills. We need something like this on the team. We’ll have a few on next year’s team, but they’ll be gone, so it’ll be good to know we got some leaders coming in.

8. RahRah
    1:00 pm April 29, 2013 Permalink

Come on down, Kid!

Seriously, Ben Roberts is not a UK fan? How did I not know that? I love that site second only to ksr.

9. Al's IndiCats
    1:00 pm April 29, 2013 Permalink

Only at UK can we have one of the absolute best recruits in collegent history coming in next year…..but the fans are looking 2 years down the road…..GO CATS!!!!!!!!!

10. Boogie
    1:42 pm April 29, 2013 Permalink

I saw him play in Indy a few months ago. The kid does not jog, does not give up on loose balls, and doesn’t look at other players like they made a mistake. Very positive kid. He’s thin and plays like a 2 guard, and I think that’s the right spot for him. But he can easily run the 3.

11. Screw Memphis
    1:48 pm April 29, 2013 Permalink

Come on down! I like kids like this and Young who openly say UK is their first choice early on in the process! I don’t blame any of these kids for taken advantage of the whole process because it’s a once in a lifetime opportunity but there is something to be said for a kid who WANTS to be a cat!

12. DCS195
    4:21 pm April 29, 2013 Permalink

#8. It should be obvious by now that the H-L will not hire anyone, especially in the Sports Department, that is openly a UK fan. If Ben Roberts was a Cat fan, he would have had to be a closet fan or he wouldn’t have been hired.