Stadium Frame Final Four Print Wants Notes from Cal’s Press Conference

The celebration is over but it can live on forever inside your home or office with this Final Four print from Stadium Frame. The 34×24 framed photo is matted with coins and features a shot of the Superdome court just after the final buzzer sounded to end Kentucky’s magical 2011-12 season. Go to www.Final4Prints.com to purchase the print you see here, or pick out another print or variation of this one from Stadium Frame.

***********

Cal met with the media today before tomorrow night’s matchup against Vanderbilt. In typical Cal fashion, there were several great soundbites. Ready?

“I’m like Bernanke and the President.”

Cal said he was surprised at the splash his comments about certain players being “not real coachable” made, calling them tame compared to some of the things he said as a younger coach. The media’s reaction to his remarks only reminded Cal of the impact his comments can have: “I’m like Bernanke and the President. I make a statement. ‘Oh my gosh, the stock market moves.’ We have to close down the borders if I make a statement.” All in all, Cal suggested that he made those remarks (which he remembers only saying on the bench, not to the media, but we have tape, Cal) in order to motivate his players. Why? Because a coaches’ number one tool, the bench, isn’t available…

“The frustrating thing is the bench isn’t my friend.”

In a normal year, Cal could just sit whichever players needed motivating and make them fight for playing time. Bend to the will of the team or ride the pine, right? Not this year. Cal said that the team’s lack of a bench has been their biggest weakness so far: “Right now, we don’t have that luxury.”

“You get exposed here. Sometimes it happens.”

At one point, Cal almost seemed to admit defeat, saying that he’s doing everything he can to help the team, but ultimately, it comes down to them:

“You lose your whole team and have a great class, but they’re not quite up to…that’s the whole risk you take. You know what I’m saying? That’s the risk you take. That’s part of the deal here. The other risk you have is I don’t like having 12 guys on scholarship who all deserve to play. If you have three or four injuries or this or that happens, a couple guys just don’t have the mental makeup for this — even though you’ve talked about it; ‘This isn’t for everybody,’ ‘Can’t hide you,’ all the things that I’ve said for four years — you get exposed here. Sometimes it happens.

“Now the issue for me as a coach is: Just keep coaching them. I’m not going to change; just keep coaching them. I’m going to do everything I can, push whatever buttons. I’m reading any book, trying to give them anything, but the reality of it is they’ve got to go on the court and start performing better.”

“We can be the story of the year.”

No matter the odds, Cal is a firm believer that this team can still turn it around. After the epic loss of Nerlens Noel, he says that with hard work and commitment, “we can be the story of the year, of recovery and all. We can do that if they choose to do that.” Will they?

“Our guard play is shaky at best”

Cal didn’t tip his hat one way or the other when it came to who would start at point guard tomorrow night, calling the team’s guard play “shaky at best.” Combine poor guard play with a lack of toughness inside and you have a team that’s floundering. What can pull them out of their funk? “The biggest thing is just battle, fight. You’ve got nothing to lose, go after it.”

— On today’s show, Matt and Ryan tried to inject some positivity back into the fan base and break down what the Cats have to do to make it back to the Tournament. Also, how good was DJ’s Dick Vitale impression? Judge for yourself at TalkRadio1080.com.

18 Comments for Stadium Frame Final Four Print Wants Notes from Cal’s Press Conference

1. seriously
    3:33 pm February 19, 2013 Permalink

Can we move past the stadium print notes. Lets find something new please.

2. Licamo katz
    3:43 pm February 19, 2013 Permalink

Poor Cal, he almost seems resigned, he tries to put on a good face, but you can see that he is worn out with this group.

3. Travis ruins KSR everyday
    3:47 pm February 19, 2013 Permalink

#1 You want to pay to sponsor the afternoon notes?

4. tyson
    3:49 pm February 19, 2013 Permalink

I’m not worried where we end up this season. Would i like to win an NC? Sure! Would i be suicidal if we got knocked out in the 2nd round of the NIT? No. My main concern is that the players give 100% each game and i don’t think many of them are doing that. If they aren’t coachable i would rather see the walk ons get playing time and let them play 110% and have fun. That would make me happier than what i saw during the UT game.

5. Steve Fitts
    3:50 pm February 19, 2013 Permalink

I think Cal backtracked when he realized that some of the fans were trying to use “The Uncoachables” as the team nickname, much like “The Unforgettables” or “The Comeback Cats,” and Cal understandably did not want that used as a term moniker or nickname. That being said, there is a degree of truth to what Cal said! There is no question that this is the most underachieving group Cal has had at UK, but I agree with Cal that we can do without a humiliating nickname like “the Uncoachables.”

6. RaleighCat
    3:51 pm February 19, 2013 Permalink

Seems like Cal feels like I feel- this team is woefully short on smarts and heart. Especially without Noel. And he’s absolutely correct on everything he said. Cal can only do so much right now. This is his team and it’s very limited. Our struggles in Dec/Jan were excusable. Our same friggin struggles going into March are inexcusable.

We’ll be damn lucky to make the tourney and I don’t see it happening. Sucks.

7. SexnNursinHomes
    3:59 pm February 19, 2013 Permalink

1- Better get on the street and start sellin’ ass for KSR. You think Stadium Prints sell it for free? Yep, $10 bucks for a Stadium Print handjob. Times are tough bro…

I feel for Cal. Bless his heart–like an older black lady would say when she feels sorry for your ass… Bless Cal’s heart….

8. Alan Cutlers Mustache
    4:01 pm February 19, 2013 Permalink

#1. I’m pretty sure that website pays them to advertise that, so I doubt that’ll happen til their deal is over.

9. Devastation INC
    4:10 pm February 19, 2013 Permalink

maybe the batchelor tv show can pay for the notes. They get more plugs from here than TV guide.

10. bigbluegdud
    4:39 pm February 19, 2013 Permalink

“I’m like Bernanke and the President.” Cal used this line during his call-in show last night. I believe it’s the first time he’s ever spoken a line one time and then used it again later.

11. seriosuly
    4:50 pm February 19, 2013 Permalink

Im pretty sure everybody that wants one has one including myself. And yes I may consider funding myself if we can get some hot chicks to pose instead of a picture of a picture

12. mudcreekmark
    5:03 pm February 19, 2013 Permalink

Cal is trying everything he knows how to do so it isn’t his fault.I don’t care how much coaching you do, if the kids cannot play they cannot play. He could take Georgetown College players and coach them the way he has coached these kids he could probably beat these SEC teams.

13. Mark Liptak
    5:08 pm February 19, 2013 Permalink

Cal has done a remarkable job at UK but it is his fault the team has no bench this year. He had scholarships to give and didn’t use them all. Fortunately this won’t be a problem next year as guys who think they are going to the NBA are going to have to come back for a second season.

Mark Liptak

14. oldschool
    5:14 pm February 19, 2013 Permalink

The bench isn’t Cal’s friend because he hasn’t been the bench’s friend. How many games did Kentucky play early in the season where they had huge leads with less than five minutes remaining and guys like Hood saw four, two, one or zero minutes? After the walk-ons endured Camp Cal – they never even saw the court in most of these games – not even for the final minute or two.

If Cal doesn’t have a bench – it’s his own fault. Cal is a feast or famine coach. We’ve feasted on success – now we’re suffering the hunger pains. Get used to it.

And Cal is now comparing himself to Bernanke and the President to suggest that his comments are taken out of context or overblown? Coach – you’re at Kentucky – everything you say or do will be over-analyzed and overhyped. Don’t act like you’re surprised by that four years into the job.

And by the way coach – a bench isn’t a luxury – it’s a necessity. Most Div. I colleges have that figured out.

15. Stadium Frame
    5:14 pm February 19, 2013 Permalink

I only have one comment on the stadium frame…I would rather see that picture eah day than to have one Bachelor update each week. What a waste, who cares about that crap?

16. mudcreekmark
    6:28 pm February 19, 2013 Permalink

14) Good points. Its really hard for me to be too hard on Cal after winning it all last year though. It is hard to challenge his tactics. I really think the reason he didn’t use all of his available scholys this year is because he knew the class was weak and he knew next years class is loaded. I’m with you on the playing the bench players at the end of blowouts. These kids work their butts off just like the starters and need to be rewarded.

17. CatsFaninTardCountry
    6:57 pm February 19, 2013 Permalink

Here is my question to all UK fans…how much different would this team look with John Wall or Eric Bledsoe running the point? A player who can handle the rock, drive to the hole and either dish or score? Basically, the whole problem with this team boils down to having bad guard play. But its ok, Cal has it fixed next year, just be patient. Think about that NC we just won guys, and remember that next year we will be back on top.

18. lou
    8:22 am February 20, 2013 Permalink

Does anyone see any player other than Nerlens that is actually remotely ready for the NBA?????????????????? If these guys have any compass they will all return and earn the right to be ready to play at next level.