Stadium Frame Final Four Print Wants Afternoon Notes & Podcast

The celebration is over but it can live on forever inside your home or office with this Final Four print from Stadium Frame. The 34×24 framed photo is matted with coins and features a shot of the Superdome court just after the final buzzer sounded to end Kentucky’s magical 2011-12 season. Go to www.Final4Prints.com to purchase the print you see here, or pick out another print or variation of this one from Stadium Frame.

***********

Happy Valentine’s Day, KSR readers. While you munch on some candy hearts or roll your eyes at yet another picture of a friend’s flowers on Facebook, here are some notes on a somber Thursday afternoon:

— I’ve decided to split the season up into “WN” (With Nerlens) and “AN” (After Nerlens). Today is our second day AN, and the reality of the matter is still settling in. The national media continues to remind us about it nonstop, with Chad Ford moving Nerlens from first to third on his NBA Big Board (Alex Poythress and Archie Goodwin are 13th and 17th, respectively) and USA Today’s David Leon Moore examining the Cats’ postseason chances now that he’s gone. Wah.

— Maybe the most surprising thing we’ve heard today is a bit of talk about Nerlens possibly returning to Kentucky next season. Yesterday, everyone assumed Nerlens would go pro and rehab with a pro team since he is still considered a Top 5 pick, but John Calipari cryptically dropped a hint last night on his radio show that Nerlens’ decision could hinge on how quickly he rehabs. There have been more whispers from behind the scenes that Nerlens and his family may be more inclined to rehab at UK on their own timeline, but for now, those are just whispers. Common sense still says it’s best for him to go pro now while he’s still projected high and not risk reinjury, but clearly, it’s not that simple. Stay tuned.

— One topic that Nerlens’ injury has brought to the spotlight is the integrity of the one-and-done rule. USA Today’s Jason Jordan (a KSR blog crush) asked Julius Randle and Dakari Johnson for their thoughts on the policy. Here are a few quotes:

Randle (who is currently recovering from his own foot injury): “I think you should be able to go ahead and go if you’re ready.”

Johnson (who sprained his knee last summer): “I think, you know, if you have a chance to go, then why not? Why hold a kid back if he has an opportunity to realize his dream and help his family out? Why not just let him go?”

— Matt is currently in Indianapolis for the NCAA Mock Bracket Selection Process. Here’s one nugget of info he’s discovered so far: Kentucky was #49 in RPI on Monday. After losing to Florida by 18, they moved up to #43 in the RPI.

Archie Goodwin is the 25th best freshman in the country according to ESPN. To find out why, you’ll have to be an Insider. If you are, report back.

— Before we forget, the McDonalds All-American selections will be revealed this afternoon at 5 p.m. ET on ESPNU. I think we’ll know a lot of them.

— We’ll finish up with this classic from BBN Cards:

Can’t argue with that.

— It was the Ryan Lemond Show this morning as Matt was en route to Indianapolis. Matt did call in to discuss Nerlens’ injury, the ramifications, and what exactly is going on with Nate Willis. Have a listen.

28 Comments for Stadium Frame Final Four Print Wants Afternoon Notes & Podcast

1. BobKYCats
    3:04 pm February 14, 2013 Permalink

25. Archie Goodwin, G, Kentucky Wildcats

Time once again for our latest episode from “He’ll be a Better Pro” theater. I’ve heard some skepticism and even incredulity over Goodwin being projected as a borderline lottery pick for 2013, and I can see where that’s coming from. Nominally a shooting guard, Goodwin doesn’t really, you know, shoot all that well. John Calipari’s freshman has displayed little if any perimeter range, and he’s more or less average statistically in terms of accuracy inside the arc.
    But he’s 6-5 and — say this for Goodwin — he attacks. (Sometimes to a fault.) For the season he’s drawing six fouls per 40 minutes, meaning that low offensive rating he sports has a lot to do with the fact that he’s shooting just 66 percent at the line. I don’t know what UK will be able to piece together in its post-Noel incarnation, but I do know that Goodwin will have as much to say on that subject as any Wildcat.

Previous ranking: NR

2. The Stickleyville Slingshot
    3:07 pm February 14, 2013 Permalink

Wouldn’t it make more sense to say “WN” as in With Nerlens, as opposed to Before Nerlens?

3. WILLIAM BRASKEY
    3:08 pm February 14, 2013 Permalink

NN did get mentioned in rankings………

Allow me to state at the top that Kentucky’s Nerlens Noel would of course be on this list — and very highly ranked — if he were healthy and available to John Calipari. Noel’s knee injury is a huge blow to the Wildcats, who were quietly but assuredly rounding into form as yet another outstanding Calipari-brand defense. Get well, young man, and quickly. Your heroic 12-block game at Ole Miss was one of the season’s more memorable efforts, to say the least.

4. BobKYCats
    3:09 pm February 14, 2013 Permalink

No problem Ms. Tyler.

You know, a thought occurs when it comes to Nerlens and his knee: We have the money, we can afford to rebuild him.

5. Jpat14
    3:10 pm February 14, 2013 Permalink

I may be in the small minority of people who think it’s best for him to return to school and rehab. I believe there is an emotional aspect to the entire situation and it is not just about the NBA money. #3 would be the youngest player in the NBA, battling rehab, away from any protection the university gives and his family, experiencing an all new professional would that wants to use him for their own gain. Call me crazy or overly BBN biased, but if it were my son, I would encourage him to stay and get ready physically and emotionally for the next step…

6. Amaze Pants
    3:18 pm February 14, 2013 Permalink

Yeah but weren’t they also saying MKG and Davis are considering sticking around for their sophomore years?

Everything changes when you are given an opportunity to set your family for life, financially.

Nerlens, you’re awesome. We love you. You’re gonna have a great pro career. Starting this year.

7. Cat Fan in Georgia
    3:18 pm February 14, 2013 Permalink

I’d love to see Nerlens come back but if it were me or my kid the fear of re-injury would trump everything else — see Robbie Hummel of Purdue as a recent example. I’d take the NBA money and run.

8. Pokey Chapman
    3:29 pm February 14, 2013 Permalink

If NN does come back then both Hood and Polson are going to have to give up their scholarships.

9. BBN
    3:29 pm February 14, 2013 Permalink

Nerlens, we love you, but take the $$$ and go to the NBA… Your family will be set for life as soon as the contract is signed…

10. HeshimuEvans'2ndGradeTeacher
    3:31 pm February 14, 2013 Permalink

Allow me to state at the top that Kentucky’s Nerlens Noel would of course be on this list – and very highly ranked – if he were healthy and available to John Calipari. Noel’s knee injury is a huge blow to the Wildcats, who were quietly but assuredly rounding into form as yet another outstanding Calipari-brand defense. Get well, young man, and quickly. Your heroic 12-block game at Ole Miss was one of the season’s more memorable efforts, to say the least.

Prime example for why you shouldn’t listen to what ESPN has to say. At what point did this team look like “another outstanding Calipari-brand defense”? Nerlens was literally the only one that COULD play defense. I guess they’ve never seen our gurds try to actually guard somebody.

11. yeah but...
    3:32 pm February 14, 2013 Permalink

I dont think NBA GM’s were chomping at the bit to get Hummel though lol

12. yeah but...
    3:33 pm February 14, 2013 Permalink

@ #9

13. Ridge Runner
    3:36 pm February 14, 2013 Permalink

Come back Nerlens

14. Laker Cat 18
    3:43 pm February 14, 2013 Permalink

Had training at work this morning and am just now getting to listen to the podcast. Anyone want to chat about the show like it’s their first time listening to it? LOL.

15. Michael Porter
    3:43 pm February 14, 2013 Permalink

Any hot teens on here?

16. Hmmmm
    3:44 pm February 14, 2013 Permalink

I don’t think signing one contract automatically sets you for life, especially with an 18 year old kid. Now I do think that Nerlens has a good enough head on his shoulders to not just blow through his money like an Allen Iverson or Vince Young, but his first contract isn’t nearly as important as the one’s to follow. If he comes back, gets healthy and gets his mind right, I think he has a better opportunity long term in the NBA. #7 is right on the money with the mental aspect and being able to rehab amongst familiar surroundings. It makes a big difference. He’s not going to get as much support in the NBA as he’s going to get around here, there’s just no doubt. An NBA team is a business, plain and simple, and while they’ll be trying to get him back and ready to go, they’re going to give up on him and go in a different direction a lot faster than we would here if things were to not go according to plan with the rehab.

17. Big O
    3:51 pm February 14, 2013 Permalink

I cannot see the young man taking a chance on returning and hurting the knee again. Then his draft stock and futue grow really dim. On another note – if Cal is putting that “retun” possibility word out there does it impact 2014 bigs who might shy away from Lexington? Just some thought.

18. midge
    3:57 pm February 14, 2013 Permalink

Everybody keeps talking like the correct business decision is to go to the NBA now. It all depends on where he will go in the draft. If he is below 3rd in the draft like possibly 5th from some things I have heard he would get 7 million over 3 years. If he believes he could come back and be the #1 pick in 2014 that is 14 million over three years. So do you want 7 million over three or 14 over 4? And I know what you are thinking.. but what if he gets hurt? That is what the insurance policies are for. If i owned a business i would want 14 million over 4 versus 7 over 3..maybe thats just me. Yes of course my business could burn to the ground next year but if I have insurance I collect and reinvest just like Nerlens could do.

19. Archie
    4:02 pm February 14, 2013 Permalink

Here is the insider blurb on Archie:

20. Jay
    4:13 pm February 14, 2013 Permalink

Most players aren’t ready to go but that is not the point. If a GM is going to draft someone in the lottery than the player is ready.

21. Whut
    4:26 pm February 14, 2013 Permalink

What does ‘Wants Afternoon Notes & Podcast’ actually mean?

22. Roland
    4:50 pm February 14, 2013 Permalink

Never! say NO, to someone ho wants to give you MONEY, esp. Mil$

23. Rebuttal
    4:52 pm February 14, 2013 Permalink

College freshman arent much if Archie is 25.

24. Jpo
    6:06 pm February 14, 2013 Permalink

21. Dude it’s the first comment

25. Tom Blevins
    6:14 pm February 14, 2013 Permalink

it doesn’t surprise me that Kentucky’s RPI went up following our loss to Florda. Our strength of schedule improved because Floida has such a high RPI.That said, I would gladly see us go down in the RPI if we could have a healthy Nerlens Noel. Nerlens, God bless you and I hope you have full recovery.

26. DrSayre
    6:33 pm February 14, 2013 Permalink

It’s a honor to listen to the Ryan Lemond Show today!