Stacey Poole: Sophmore Emergence

Will deuce make a splash?

Eric Lindsey at CoachCal.com interviewed Stacey Poole recently about his sitting on the bench during his first season at UK and how he plans on working to see the court more in his sophomore campaign.

In the exclusive interview, Poole talked about how disappointed he was to sit on the bench last season while his classmates flourished. His pain was only enhanced by the fact that he had to keep a happy face on for the cameras:

“I love the game, so I’m going to enjoy it anyway,” Poole said. “It was good seeing my teammates out there having success. People never saw me mad, angry, upset or pouting. There was none of that. I always had a smile on my face when I was out on the court with my team. It was a great experience for me, going to the Final Four in my freshman year. The experience I had was incredible and I enjoyed it.”

Behind closed doors, however, Poole was not satisfied. One of the puzzle pieces to last year’s top-ranked recruiting class, Poole was the only ranked signee to sit on the sidelines. While teammates Brandon Knight, Terrence Jones and Doron Lamb sparkled as freshmen, enjoying the spoils that come with being Kentucky superstars, Poole, the No. 33 overall player in Rivals’ 2010 class, struggled to see the floor.

Poole credited his father with helping him keep his head up. Poole knows that if he works hard, then he’ll earn his playing time. Like Josh Harrellson and DeAndre Liggins before him, Poole can work his way into consistent playing time and a spot in the rotation. Coach Cal said that if he’s healthy, expect Poole to have an impact season.

It’s a strange phenomenon in the Calipari years to have a highly ranked freshman come in and not contribute immediately. If Poole works hard and gets some time this season, he could become a strong contributor and experienced leader in his junior and senior seasons. It says a lot for Stacey that he decided to stay at Kentucky when the opportunity of a transfer probably seemed easier and more enticing. For UK to have success, we’ll need players like Poole who are committed to what Calipari is preaching and can stick around for three or four years:

Poole will continue to play the role of supportive teammate and tutor some of the newcomers, but he’s also trying to compete with them for playing time in order to help them on the court. Remember, this is a player who would have been the star in just about any other recruiting class.

“Coach told me not to worry about who is coming in,” Poole said. “He told me to handle my business, handle what I need to take care of and produce.”

Article written by Matthew Hays

33 Comments for Stacey Poole: Sophmore Emergence

1. tdogg4033011
    7:06 pm September 4, 2011 Permalink

I’d like to see Poole get into the rotation

2. catcrawler
    7:12 pm September 4, 2011 Permalink

I’m a big believer in him, ready to see him contribute!

3. Reality Chedck
    7:19 pm September 4, 2011 Permalink

He will be a bench jocky. Move along, nothing to see here.

4. UK fan in NKY
    7:29 pm September 4, 2011 Permalink

I have alot of faith in Poole. I think later on he can become a very special player.

5. Pedantic Parvenu
    7:29 pm September 4, 2011 Permalink

What the hell is a “Reality Chedck”? A drunken Idiot? Yes.

6. UKGoBigBlue
    7:42 pm September 4, 2011 Permalink

Poole has no one to blame but himself; everything is a joke to this kid, and he doesn’t seem to take anything seriously. If this kid could play & was serious, he’d see the court. This kid was able to just get by on his ability in high school, kid this isn’t high school, you gotta earn it. Hopefully the light will finally go off in this kids head. I don’t see this kid getting much if any playing time.

7. Johnson
    7:48 pm September 4, 2011 Permalink

I mean its all up to Poole. Cal put him in a few times last year, and he did absolutely nothing. Looked scared.

8. Mr Schwump
    8:01 pm September 4, 2011 Permalink

Hopefully he’ll beat out that guy….ummm, what’s his name? You know, the guy who disappears when you need him…what’s his name?

9. Anony.
    8:02 pm September 4, 2011 Permalink

SPELL SOPHOMORE CORRECT!

10. gimmiedaball
    8:02 pm September 4, 2011 Permalink

Poole didn’t look scared when he hit that 3 pointer against Notre Dame. He played 2 mins. had 3 points and 1 rebound.

11. Truth
    8:13 pm September 4, 2011 Permalink

Poole is not good enough to play here. He should transfer.

12. GODSAZNO
    8:18 pm September 4, 2011 Permalink

Calipari needs juniors and seniors. Come his junior year Poole will be a contributing veteran.

13. CatFanNLville
    8:31 pm September 4, 2011 Permalink

Saw him come out and hustle hard against ND last year. Looks like a very athletic and strong young man. Hope he stays around, college from high school is a big jump let alone learning the DD motion offense and playing in front of 24K fans every night. He’ll be fine look for him to be a “glue guy” soon.

14. Big Blue 66
    8:44 pm September 4, 2011 Permalink

I think Poole will contribute, fine young man and that goes along way. Hope he works hard and earns some time.

15. BLUE BUCK
    9:01 pm September 4, 2011 Permalink

I would love to see him, i believe that this would mean blowouts, and i dont know about you all, but i wouldnt mind a lot of blowouts this season!

16. Tbc
    9:08 pm September 4, 2011 Permalink

He was an overrated 4 star recruit. Athletic with low skill level. I saw him pop off & run his mouth several times. When he gets frustrated this year, he’ll do it again to the walk ons. He needs to go.

17. DB11
    9:27 pm September 4, 2011 Permalink

seems like a good kid, hope everthing works out

18. BCO
    9:50 pm September 4, 2011 Permalink

Seems like a great kid and I really want him to see the court and contribute, and I think he will. Yall need to quit busting his chops, hes one of our own.

19. BCO
    10:00 pm September 4, 2011 Permalink

Seems like a great kid, and hes one of us. Yall need to lay off him. Sheesh. I wish him the best and hope he sees the court more this year.

20. lop211
    12:50 am September 5, 2011 Permalink

he sucks. bust.

21. MikeD.
    1:29 am September 5, 2011 Permalink

He plays on our favorite team. Quit dogging him like that. You need to realize 90 percent of freshman struggle. Looking at some of the comments on here it is easy to see why UK fans have a bad reputation. Its pathetic. Give him time. Its just people used to the freshman that Cal gets to be stars from day 1.

22. gottodoit
    2:29 am September 5, 2011 Permalink

Wonder if those Louisville fans criticizing Poole show any common sense decency toward other people in their daily lives?

You can’t be too brave on the internet you know.

23. blue ink
    8:19 am September 5, 2011 Permalink

i would suspect Poole is a name that often comes up from opposing coaches during recruiting … warning players that they can get lost in the talent shuffle at UK

24. Tokyo now Tampa Satchel
    10:16 am September 5, 2011 Permalink

UL tolls in da’ house! Stirring up trouble and trying to find a crack in the shell of big brother. Nice try, but we love all of our players and young Mr. Poole is a fine addition. He should get more plating time this year and will be a solid contributor as a Jr.

25. David
    10:21 am September 5, 2011 Permalink

We don’t need to be so harsh. The guys really talented. Give him time. With Cal he might make it to the pros. He did with Jorts who is not as talented as Poole.

26. jaygee85
    10:46 am September 5, 2011 Permalink

Poole is a legit player, he was just a little immature last year, and he is definitely athletic enough to contribute, especially on the defensive side of the ball. It’s hard to come in and light the place up when you get to play 2-3 minutes every 5 games, you can’t get into a groove that way. When Stacey decides he wants to focus 100% on basketball, he will contribute. Cal rewards guys who play hard on defense, and if Stacey can play hard on D, Cal will give him the space to get his offensive game going. Not every freshman can come in and start at the elite level that UK plays at, actually, hardly any freshman come in and contribute like Lamb,Jones and Knight, all this bashing of Stacey is ludicrous. Stacey is like 90% if the freshman in the nation, he just needs to grow into his role and he will be fine.

27. joe joe
    11:50 am September 5, 2011 Permalink

#10. I was going to say the exact same thing. I wanted to win that game so bad against Notre Dame because of Hansbrough talking so much shiat. I always remember Poole coming in and playing HUGE for that short period of time. Then, I never saw him again the rest of the year. Not sure what happened, but I think Poole can play and will become a good contributor by the end of his time here. Maybe not this year but soon.

28. joe joe
    11:54 am September 5, 2011 Permalink

The people who are criticizing Poole on here probably aren’t UK fans. UK fans pull for everyone on the team. I think Poole is going to be very good by his senior year. The guy can play. You’ll see.

29. joe joe
    1:07 pm September 5, 2011 Permalink

I am a redneck and never went to UK or any college. I have no right to call anyone out. I’ll just go back to my trailer and see what my sister/wife is doing.

30. Ukalltheway
    7:40 pm September 5, 2011 Permalink

Why are everyone such assholes in the comment sections, there is a group of posters that have such mserable live that they only post negative mean things.

Poole do t worry about them youll be good

31. blue ink
    9:45 pm September 5, 2011 Permalink

???

32. jimi
    11:40 pm September 5, 2011 Permalink

by Jerry Meyer – 09/23/2009
    Poole is an elite athlete’s in regard to explosiveness, strength and body control. He excels at attacking the basket, drawing contact and finishing. An average outside shooter at this point, Poole has promise in this regard based on his touch near the basket on the move. A solid wing ball handler, Poole also has the ability to dominate his position as a defender and rebounder.

Give him some time and Cal will bring him along…….

33. Bedside Manner
    9:14 am September 6, 2011 Permalink

This is the first reply I have ever left anywhere. I only want to say that its embarrassing sometimes to be a Kentucky fan after reading whats been written thus far. Sometimes it takes a guy a little longer to put it all together, especially with the competition he had to go up against everyday. He as well as ALL athletes that represent our great state deserve nothing less than complete support.