Stacey Poole Jr.’s Friday News and Views

The University of Kentucky basketball team has been without that set of three goggles you see above for almost two months now. Stacey Poole Jr. and his family felt it was best for him to leave the program and finish his basketball career at another school. The sophomore guard finished out the fall semester at UK and then packed up his belongings from the Lodge and headed home to Florida.

Now, after over a month of silence, the former Kentucky guard has named four possible destinations for his transfer. Poole is considering Georgia Tech, Seton Hall, Florida International, and DePaul. He’ll make the drive from Jacksonville to metro-Miami to visit Isaiah Thomas and Florida International on Friday. Due to the strict time schedule, FIU will likely be the only visit he makes, but that’s OK, according to him. Poole told Adam Zagoria that he visited Georgia Tech in high school and has been to Atlanta many times, so he doesn’t feel the need to visit again. “DePaul and Seton Hall, I already got a feel for that,” he added. “I really don’t need a visit. The only thing I need is a place where the coach is going to believe in my talents and go from there. A visit isn’t going to do me any good.” Poole will be eligible to play for his new school in the fall of 2012.

Although Poole never showed signs of being a major contributor at Kentucky, it still hurt to see the young man leave the team, especially with the lack of depth this season. This year would’ve been the perfect opportunity for him to log quality minutes for the Cats in relief of Marquis Teague and Doron Lamb. Instead, Jarrod Polson and the newly-eligible Twany Beckham sit on Kentucky’s bench, when Poole had just as good of a shot — if not better — of seeing the floor. The athleticism and potential was always there, it’s a shame we couldn’t see it in action. We wish him the best wherever he ends up. “Once a Cat, always a Cat.”

News. Views.

— Former Hilltopper and current Gamecocks head coach Darrin Horn met with the South Carolina media on Thursday and apparently he’s pretty impressed by Kentucky’s ability to create offense from great defense. “If they’re playing well offensively, they’re phenomenal,” he said. “Because defensively, with their length and athleticism, and with Davis, their ability to not only keep you from scoring but to create offense from their defense is outstanding.” He added, “If they’re playing well offensively and shooting the basketball, well, I’m not really sure what anyone does with them.” Horn called Anthony Davis a complete game-changer down low for the Cats.

— South Carolina will be coming into Rupp Arena on somewhat of a hot steak, having won six of its last seven games. The Cocks’ last loss came at home on December 17 to then No. 2 Ohio State. Since losing by eight to the Buckeyes, they’ve defeated Southeastern Louisiana, Wofford, USC Upstate, and South Carolina State by an average margin of somewhere between 10 and 20 points. I’m not a bean counter, as Coach Cal would say.

Western Kentucky just got HOSED at home against Louisiana-Lafayette. With the scored tied at 70 with 20 seconds to go, the Ragin’ Cajuns played six men on the court for the final possession and scored to win the game by two. It was 6-on-5 for the final 20 seconds and NO ONE noticed. LOOK!…

wku-hosed
(Pic and Video via Deadspin)

Can the league do anything about that? That can’t count, can it? That’s bulls—.

— Moving on… Calipari visited 2013 small forward Troy Williams at his team’s practice on Wednesday night. Williams, out of Hampton, Virginia, tweeted about Cal’s visit that night. The 6-foot-6 star recruit is the No. 8 player overall in the class according to Scout.com.

— Anyone interested in office space? The Lexington Herald-Leader has some for sale. According to this online property listing, you can buy anywhere from 3,000 to 22,500 square feet of space at the Herald-Leader building. We are currently talking with our accountant to determine how much space we can afford for the KSR Lexington offices. It would be very convenient for both parties, as John Clay could just walk over, rather than sending e-mails, when complaining about us stealing pictures. It would also turn out to be an eco-friendly move if Clay, Rashawn Franklin, Jerry Tipton and Not Jerry Tipton could carpool to and from work. My only concern is refrigerator space in the building for our Boone’s bundle packs. Other than that, I think it’s a great idea. We’ve been told the bidding starts at four annual newspaper subscriptions.

— It’s that time of the year, my friends, where we put all our free time on the Internet to better use than watching HoopsMixtape highlights on YouTube. The 2012 NBA All-Star ballot has gone live and four former Cats need your support. Place your vote for John Wall, Rajon Rondo, and Tayshaun Prince in the East, and DeMarcus Cousins in the West. If you’re feeling real blue, use the write-in option to vote for everyone else. Do it now.

— Speaking of DeMarcus Cousins, Boogie just scored the first five points for the Kings against Milwaukee. I’m watching the game right now on League Pass and Kentucky West played well early but now trails by double digits in their first game under Keith Smart. Still… Suck it, Westphal.

— Over in Washington DC, John Wall doesn’t sound too confident with his team in his second year as the team’s franchise player. “It could get ugly this whole season,” he said after Wednesday night’s loss to Orlando. Washington is off to the worst start in franchise history. I like the new uniforms, though.

— ESPN counted down the Top 10 plays of the NFL season and your favorite player made the list. Randall Cobb’s 108-yard kick return in the season opener was No. 7 on the top plays countdown. The former Kentucky legend is already making Big Blue Nation oh-so proud in his young professional career.

Jimmy Buffett is coming to Louisville on March 3rd. Parrotheads, let’s rally!

That’ll do it for now. Tune in to Kentucky Sports Radio radio in the morning when I stop by to keep Matt from talking about The Bachelor.

Go Cats.

Article written by Drew Franklin

62 Comments for Stacey Poole Jr.’s Friday News and Views

1. MKG fan
    11:16 pm January 5, 2012 Permalink

Always liked Stacey Poole, but his dad blew it. Leaving UK will likely cost him 2 million in lifetime earnings.

2. UK3K
    11:17 pm January 5, 2012 Permalink

And we all thought the UK/UL officiating was bad this year…

I watched the video and still can’t believe my eyes.

3. old_school
    11:22 pm January 5, 2012 Permalink

Indiana is for real – another big win for the Hoosiers.

Ok – serious question. I really like Anthony Davis – seems like a good kid – great player – even greater potential as he develops – which unfortunately for UK fans – will likely take place in an NBA uniform.

Meanwhile – Hoosier fans will get to watch Cody Zeller do stellar big man work for at least three years at IU.

Now – we can compare the two players all day long – and most experts right now might say that in 10 years from now Davis will be the better NBA big man.

But this is Kentucky and Indiana and college basketball rules. So my question is this: Who’s the better recruiter?

Cal for getting a great player for one season – or Crean for getting a great player for at least three seasons?

4. Mafia boss
    11:26 pm January 5, 2012 Permalink

By God when a fix is on.. A fix is on.

5. Mike
    11:27 pm January 5, 2012 Permalink

old_school – and how many years has Crean gotten these “great” players? A blind squirrel finds a nut every now and then. Cal is bringing them in year after year, pooping ice cream. One and done is fine with me, get the kids their money. That’s what every single one of them wants anyway, even those that decide to wear candy striper suits at IU. Just takes them a bit longer.

6. old_school
    11:29 pm January 5, 2012 Permalink

Mike – Crean has built a program at IU.
    Calipari simply assembles a team every 12 months.

Again – let’s revisit this in three years and compare the programs.

And next year – IU will be a much better team than UK – all because Cal doesn’t recruit to sustain a program.

7. E Cat
    11:34 pm January 5, 2012 Permalink

Wishing Poole the best. But when he contended before the season that he didn’t see himself as a Liggins-like player, I knew that was trouble. On this team, he could have potentially been a good defender. But he seems intent on being a scorer. Problem is, he can’t shoot. His dad was great from mid-range, but I couldn’t see where his strengths were. Hopefully with a year off and in time, he can find his offensive game.

8. Depoytown
    11:37 pm January 5, 2012 Permalink

Screw Buffet …..Van Halen opens tour at Yum 2/18

9. Cliver
    11:38 pm January 5, 2012 Permalink

You didn’t proofread at all, did you Drew?

10. Drew Franklin
    11:38 pm January 5, 2012 Permalink

No. Should I?

Let me finish this movie and then I’ll think about it.

11. MKG fan
    11:40 pm January 5, 2012 Permalink

Old_school, everyone is tired of you.

12. E Cat
    11:42 pm January 5, 2012 Permalink

6. I’d say Cal’s 2.5 years to date has been a pretty good trend and sustainable (Elite Eight, Final Four and ranked No. 2 this season). Best 3-year run since the 1990s. Next year is a long way off. Would like to see UK retain more players, and I think a few will be here multi-years (Wiltjer, Harrow, Hood, possibly Teague), and fill out the roster with some role players. But I don’t want to go back to 4 year players just for the sake of it. You see where that got UK before Cal. Tom Crean would not have turned away Anthony Davis, Teague or Gilchrist.

13. Cameron
    11:47 pm January 5, 2012 Permalink

6- The way I see it, you can play with the one-and-dones or you can play against them. I’d rather play with them.

14. Kieth Smart at the buzzer
    11:57 pm January 5, 2012 Permalink

Don’t prefer the one and dones. Zeller may go after 2 years, but hell, maybe he stays all 4.

15. dave
    12:07 am January 6, 2012 Permalink

6-“cal doesn’t recruit to sustain a program” you’re an idiot.
    he’s gone to elite 8 & final 4. we’ll see where crean finishes in his 4th year at IU…..

16. darryl isaac
    12:14 am January 6, 2012 Permalink

i like hot steak

17. alabamaCAT
    12:30 am January 6, 2012 Permalink

So, can western ky appeal this loss or not?

18. Middle School JV
    12:39 am January 6, 2012 Permalink

The whole substitution thing was always confusing anyways.

19. BPsycho
    1:05 am January 6, 2012 Permalink

I’m usually not a fan of Darrin Horn simply because he reminds me of a plantation owner, but he speaketh the truth.

20. Coal Keeps the Lights On
    1:16 am January 6, 2012 Permalink

Good luck to Poole. I don’t blame him for leaving. Coach Cal has been here 3 seasons and each year he’s had a “10 deep team” yet he only uses about 7 or 8 players at max. I remember the Pitino days when Pitino went 10-11 deep (he still goes deep while in Italian eating establishments) but seriously, Cal has talent, but won’t use it for some reason. Vargas is better than 5 minutes per game and Poole was good enough for 8-10 minutes per game. I don’t blame Poole one bit and I wish him nothing but the best.

21. BPsycho
    1:16 am January 6, 2012 Permalink

“My only concern is refrigerator space in the building for our Boone’s bundle packs”

Speaking of Boone’s Butcher Shop: What a wonderful establishment that sells wonderful products at wonderful prices. I try to eat at least 16 servings of Boone’s Butcher Shop products everyday as part of a well balanced diet.

22. Natedog
    1:45 am January 6, 2012 Permalink

Speaking of people moving on to “greener” pastures, Matt Jones did you see this link: http://espn.go.com/nba/team/roster/_/name/orl/orlando-magic

The link reports the 2011-12 salaries of the Orlando Magic. Your old friend Daniel Orton is getting paid over a million dollars this year. Again: OVER. ONE. MILLION. DOLLARS!!!!

I wonder how many dollars that will break down to per goaltend he has this year?

Also great to see my boy Liggins earn $473,604 this year. He deserves every penny, but I selfishly would have loved to see him on the same team as MKG and Davis. The three of them would have absolutely locked down every opponent.

23. you'll get nothing and like it
    2:07 am January 6, 2012 Permalink

old_school, youre an idiot. i like crean, always have but youre freaking retarded.

24. gopher
    2:17 am January 6, 2012 Permalink

i want a hot dog, no a cheeseburger, i want a team thats relevant……SPALDING (old_school) you’ll get nothing and like it

25. iWantToBeTheDrewFranklin
    3:40 am January 6, 2012 Permalink

Old_school why are you here trolling? You won we lost congrats. Move on, please. Iu has beaten UK only 5 times in my 22 years of existence. To me you’re irrelevant, and I’m from Southern Indiana. You’re old news. Our class next year one recruit away from jumping to the number 1 spot in recruiting rankings. And as far as Zeller and Davis go, Davis brings so much more to the floor than that HGH taking Zeller kid. Zeller may score more points, but he would get a double double or damn near triple double like Davis can every night.

I’m not worried about IU. We’ll get you in March.

26. barn
    3:45 am January 6, 2012 Permalink

21)love me some boone’s too. you should visit their slaughter house sometime like i did. my 3 yr old grandson loved it. of course he knew he was getting a happy meal after the tour.

27. strange brew
    6:24 am January 6, 2012 Permalink

IU beat UK on a last second shot at home and beat a injuired prone Ohio State at home. Clap, clap. UK has beaten dozens of ranked teams these past three years, at home, on the road and tournament time. Comparing IU to UK is like comparing the fat chick with a hairy lip to Victoria secret model.

28. strange brew
    6:27 am January 6, 2012 Permalink

29. SexnNursinHomes
    6:42 am January 6, 2012 Permalink

old fool, I have to give you credit for your trolling. your consistent, stubborn, and one helluva master baiter.

30. NotTheSlickistRick
    7:17 am January 6, 2012 Permalink

29) and who would know a baiter better than SexnNursinHomes

31. SexnNursinHomes
    7:24 am January 6, 2012 Permalink

30- haha I’ll flail it no doubt

32. Jared
    7:34 am January 6, 2012 Permalink

Gotta love the Sun Belt commissioners comments, “This probably happens more than we realize,” Waters said. “Coaches are on the court, too. If the official had stopped it then it upsets the flow of the final seconds of the game. But we wish it wouldn’t have happened.”

33. Al B. Sure
    7:37 am January 6, 2012 Permalink

Mmm… I love hot steak!

34. old_school
    7:40 am January 6, 2012 Permalink

Once again – here’s the original question:
    Would you rather have a player like Zeller for 3-4 years or a Davis for 1.

I’m not debating who is the better player – but rather recruiting methods.

Next year UK fans will start to turn on Cal because next year reality sets in – meanwhile up in Bloomington – Crean’s will really start to build on a solid foundation that he took time and care to construct.

35. Nassau65
    7:50 am January 6, 2012 Permalink

old schools have asbestos. move along, prick.

36. barn
    7:58 am January 6, 2012 Permalink

34–maybe that reality will set in during the #8 banner hanging ceremony

37. Al's IndiCats
    8:07 am January 6, 2012 Permalink

I love the Old_Stool comments as much as a constipated bowel movement. You actually think Zeller will stay 3 or 4 years? Personally I don’t, but who am I? Most kids (not all) have aspirations to play for pay, and if his status is low enough in the draft he’ll fly so fast that the stripes will come off those barnum and Bailey warm ups those poor kids have to endure. 14 and 1. They’ve beaten both a #1 and a #2 AT HOME!!!!!! School, sometimes a team has to travel outside the friendly confines of their home arena and if memory serves me, they were handed their collective crimson and cream at MSU.
    I was and still am a fan of Tom Crean. As a matter of fact I wanted Crean at UK before the Clyde experiment. As for 1 and dones, like someone else said Crean would’ve given up his first born to have a Davis or Kidd-Gilcrest on his team this year.

38. Nassau65
    8:12 am January 6, 2012 Permalink

strange brew, take your weak links elsewhere. We are all tired of them.

39. KSR1080Fan
    8:17 am January 6, 2012 Permalink

#4: “Crean’s… that he took time and care to construct.”
    No he got in bed with the AAU team in Indiana to save his arse. Also, watch the dang home cooking they get and tell me he hasn’t made a deal with the devil.

40. Kidnut
    8:28 am January 6, 2012 Permalink

Old School is right, we should fire Calapari and hire Crean. Once that happens with all the transfers and recruits lost, IU’s program will be in shambles just like UK if Calapari left…wait a second…I take back everything.

41. Kieth Smart at the buzzer
    8:31 am January 6, 2012 Permalink

#25-

Ha! Davis brings shot blocking to the floor. Zeller brings great feet, great hands, a basketball IQ, toughness, confidence, and a nice shooting touch. He knows his ay around the basket, he blocks out, he hustles, knows when to flush it, and knows when to lay it in. I’d take the complete player in Zeller 10 out of 10 times.

42. douggercats
    8:44 am January 6, 2012 Permalink

#2 and #6 are open! Pass the ball!

43. nolablue
    8:49 am January 6, 2012 Permalink

Zeller to IU had nothing to do with Crean and everything to do with Zeller hatred of Kentucky.
    You ever heard either three of those doofs talk about UK? They’re typical snotty Indianans.
    They all three shove off. Just typical Indiana yankees. Pointblankperiod.

44. nolablue
    8:50 am January 6, 2012 Permalink

(The third Zeller doof is Luke, in case y’didn’t know…)

45. NashvilleCats
    8:52 am January 6, 2012 Permalink

Once a Cat, Always a CAT???….Marvin Stone?!?

46. KyTom
    8:55 am January 6, 2012 Permalink

Looks like the Ragin Cajuns won on a Power Play….

47. Whoofarted
    8:58 am January 6, 2012 Permalink

I would rather have Davis for one year than Zeller for four because we will load up with another sick player next year. Let’s say Zeller stays for 3 – we have had Davis, cousins, Jorts, and ppat down low in just that 3 year time period. So yes, I will take Davis for 1 over Zeller for 3 every time. Not to mention the handful of other McDonald’s all Americans on the floor – Zeller is your best potential comparison and I still would take Davis. Did you forget about spots 1-4? Who would you rather have at those positions? Answer: kentuckys entire squad is better. Lastly, we then get to follow these players into the league which makes watching the nba actually interesting.

48. old_tool
    9:07 am January 6, 2012 Permalink

I’m old, grumpy and I hate Calipari. And I will continue to remind everyone with my self righteousness and superiority complex. Yet I will continue to watch a team I don’t like with a coach I hate, and post ignorant comments about a sport I don’t know much about. Thank you and good day.

49. Al's IndiCats
    9:08 am January 6, 2012 Permalink

What the heck is going on at KSR and the refresh key this morning?

50. Come.on
    9:13 am January 6, 2012 Permalink

Zeller will leave after this year. Mark it down.

51. CB#00
    9:15 am January 6, 2012 Permalink

For all you IU idiots Zeller will leave for the pros after this year! And by the way “old school” is a band wagon fan!

52. shendo
    9:15 am January 6, 2012 Permalink

old school – so your asking if i’d rather have hamburgers for 3 years or steak for 1. it’s a flawed question because, each year, i’m getting steak (albeit from a different restaurant) and on top of that i’ve got plenty burger joints to pick from as well.

in three years we have had cousins, kanter and davis. when we couldn’t get kanter eligible we still had jorts (a four year guy who developed under calipari, helped us to the final four, and is now a knick) Cal doesn’t just get one and dones. he also is building with players like wiltjer. each year he has added quality players who were not meant to be one and done. So a few have developed and excelled enough to achieve their dream of making it to the NBA…bledsoe is a perfect example. That’s a bad thing? The bench will continue to get stronger as the starting lineup continues to be full of the best talent available.

to look at UK basketball over the last three seasons and be so consistently negative you must be the most miserable creature on the face of the earth. cheer up man.

53. State the obvious
    9:25 am January 6, 2012 Permalink

I really don’t get the “Once a wildcat, always a wildcat” idea. Poole was…then he decided he didn’t want to be anymore. If a wife leaves a husband she’s not still his wife. It makes no sense at all. Michael Bradley, Rod Rhodes, Adam Chiles, non of these guys are wildcats. (Bradley is a villinova wildcat but still). He couldn’t hack it so he left. Good riddance, Beckham barely plays but seems more capable then Poole ever was. He’ll go to to FIU and no one will ever hear from him again.

54. CB#00
    9:30 am January 6, 2012 Permalink

I think old school wishes IU was more like UK!

55. Doom or Gloom
    9:36 am January 6, 2012 Permalink

Keith Smart at the buzzer… Davis against UL (top 15 team) just had 6 blocks, 12+ rebounds, and like 18 points. Come on, the dude does more than just block shots. Yeah maybe he doesnt have the same post moves as Zeller, but impacts the game way more than Zeller. Also, UK has 5 scoring options along side him. Davis does what the team needs to win. Come tourney time, would you be more afraid to play a team with Zeller or Davis on it?

56. BlueFins
    10:05 am January 6, 2012 Permalink

BlueFins says “Fins Up!” Just not sure how the tailgating will go in early March, just assuming the need for more Tequila. Just glad Jimmy’s coming back after swearing off Louisville because of a bad experience by, you guessed it, the Kentucky Fair & Exposition Center. ~~(\~~

57. old_school
    10:26 am January 6, 2012 Permalink

I would like to apologize to the Big Blue Faithful for trolling and being a complete idiot. John Calipari is clearly superior to Crean.

58. scott davis
    11:11 am January 6, 2012 Permalink

Matt ksr should get a.Booth at the Carl casper custom.auto show at the fairgrounds. It.is the 3rd weekend.of.february

59. JEREMY
    12:03 pm January 6, 2012 Permalink

old school…Go back to school! You would take Coach Cal at IU today if you could, and you would not care one bit about his recruiting methods

60. Scotty P
    12:51 pm January 6, 2012 Permalink

Anyone else think Stacey Poole being out of Lexington is good for Terrence?

61. 3 fan
    12:52 pm January 6, 2012 Permalink

WAIT! Are Buffett tix on sale yet???

62. cracka
    1:31 pm January 6, 2012 Permalink

old_school – the question isn’t whether you’d rather have tyler zeller for 1 or 2 years or however long he stays which no knows or anthony davis … the question is would you rather have bawa maniru as your recruited center in 2009 (who btw is not on the roster any more) or have cousins and orton come in … and then in 2010 have guy-marc michel (who also is no longer on the iu roster) or have terrence jones, enes kanter (who we all know didn’t play) and eloy vargas come in … AND THEN in 2011 have tyler zeller or anthony davis and kyle wiltjer come in? there’s your question

i only brought up guys listed 6’9″ + in this example because it seemed like you were comparing big guy recruiting