Spot the real Andrew Wiggins rumor!

855442

A member of the national media wrote about a rumor going around concerning Andrew Wiggins yesterday afternoon. Can you guess which one it is? (Note: I totally made up the other four.)

a) Wiggins has known where he’s going for the past two months and is putting off his announcement to bring attention to his “brand.”

b) John Calipari recently spoke to Coach K about Wiggins’ recruitment and said that Wiggins’ father, Mitch, wants his son to pick Florida State or Kansas, which would put North Carolina and Kentucky in the “second tier.”

c) Wiggins is so worn out with his recruitment that he locked himself in his room for four straight days with only Gatorade and video games.

d) During their phone conversation last week, Roy Williams added Michael Jordan to the call, who spoke to Andrew about his time at North Carolina and how he could be the “next Jordan.”

e) Wiggins is waiting for teams to finalize their non-conference schedules before deciding so he can go to the school with the most televised games.

I’ll post the answer in tonight’s night post.

90 Comments for Spot the real Andrew Wiggins rumor!

1. get it over with already
    3:00 pm April 30, 2013 Permalink

1st. and I pick A.

2. Andrew
    3:00 pm April 30, 2013 Permalink

A

3. Courtney
    3:00 pm April 30, 2013 Permalink

I am going with D…. as Michael won’t tell that to any kid but his own.

4. Z
    3:01 pm April 30, 2013 Permalink

My guess is D.

5. will
    3:02 pm April 30, 2013 Permalink

Gotta be D.

6. StuckAtWork
    3:03 pm April 30, 2013 Permalink

I’m going to go with D. I heard a coworker talking about a Wiggins – Jordan conversation earlier in the day.

7. Duuuuuuude
    3:04 pm April 30, 2013 Permalink

D

8. you suck
    3:04 pm April 30, 2013 Permalink

on the edge of my seat for the answer!!!

you suck for this blog post.

9. SimpleMan
    3:07 pm April 30, 2013 Permalink

The answer is B, believe it or not.

10. Wuhuuhhh
    3:08 pm April 30, 2013 Permalink

It’s B

11. chad
    3:09 pm April 30, 2013 Permalink

I bet it is A. No way it is D because Jordan got married last weekend. No way he called a high school kid before he got married.

12. will
    3:09 pm April 30, 2013 Permalink

#9, why would Cal talk to Coach K about Wiggins?

13. KevinM
    3:10 pm April 30, 2013 Permalink

I’m gonna go out on a limb with ‘A’.

Its all about the AW brand now……….shoe companies are coming in this week to come up with the Wiggins family shoe.

14. b)
    3:12 pm April 30, 2013 Permalink

The answer is d)

15. J in Orlando
    3:13 pm April 30, 2013 Permalink

the only one that could be true is A…

B isnt true because the only three people in the know are Wig and parents (easy to spot the fake insider because he will claim to know anything about where he is leaning)

C is too stupid to put out there

D is a violation

E just means its UK or UNC, which it will be

16. texaswildcater
    3:13 pm April 30, 2013 Permalink

it is B

17. Teachable Mo'
    3:13 pm April 30, 2013 Permalink

f) Wiggins has decided to corner the Paxil market so he will delay his announcement until 2018

18. qtlakhg
    3:14 pm April 30, 2013 Permalink

noooooooo not more waiting re: wiggins

19. Yeah
    3:14 pm April 30, 2013 Permalink

12- I was thinking the same thing 12 said and I read ‘B’ several times as I was confused.

20. Demo1975
    3:15 pm April 30, 2013 Permalink

A.
    Mean post to make us wait alllll day.
    But funny too

21. J in Orlando
    3:15 pm April 30, 2013 Permalink

The TRUE irony in the Wiggins recruitment is that if all the media outlets stopped hyping the decision, he would just announce it. If it is going to continue to be a hot topic in the media it is great branding and PR to let them run with it as long as he reasonably can.

22. Wuhuuhhh
    3:18 pm April 30, 2013 Permalink

Eric bossi of rivals is saying “B”, it’s just a rumor so who really cares. I bet he will still be a cat in the end.

23. Sounds like
    3:19 pm April 30, 2013 Permalink

B sounds like something someone would make up to create an interesting story. That’s my vote….

24. shawn
    3:20 pm April 30, 2013 Permalink

C. Wiggins is worn out from all the traveling and all star games.

25. KevinM
    3:23 pm April 30, 2013 Permalink

I gotta go with D…..Huckleberry Hound and that picture go together here.

26. BOSOX
    3:26 pm April 30, 2013 Permalink

Ummmmmm?!? Coach Cal should just call Lebron then and let him talk Kentucky to Andrew Wiggins…. Heck put Jay Z, Drake, John Wall! Need I say more?

27. KevinM
    3:28 pm April 30, 2013 Permalink

15, since when is anything a violation when it comes to UNC?

Are you saying that MJ has never been involved in recruiting since he left the campus?

28. Justin
    3:29 pm April 30, 2013 Permalink

It’s actually B and Eric Bossi of Rivals was the one who posted it. Yeah, pretty far stretch if you ask me.

29. Rafaello and Co.
    3:38 pm April 30, 2013 Permalink

The answer is
    f) Wiggins is waiting for his line of credit from Durham, then he’s going to shock the world. Where did you think that necklace came from, Lance Thomas’ garage sale?

30. SeoulCat
    3:40 pm April 30, 2013 Permalink

Whatever the answer, I’ve got a bad feeling about the direction of Wiggins’ recruitment..maybe it’s the look on Mitch’s face in the above photo.

31. Sick'nTired
    3:44 pm April 30, 2013 Permalink

Who is Wiggins?

32. MattD
    3:45 pm April 30, 2013 Permalink

I haven’t seen any of these rumors on twitter or online, and search for Wiggins info religiously.

33. Musehobo
    3:48 pm April 30, 2013 Permalink

Damn

34. Shaffer
    3:48 pm April 30, 2013 Permalink

D is a definite violation as Jordan is a team owner. It’s why he couldn’t talk to teams at Jordan Brand AA game. Don’t know that Cal and K are that close to be talking about wiggins recruitment. I say A is only feasible answer but they are all BS

35. Rockfield, KY
    3:50 pm April 30, 2013 Permalink

D. Jordan explained how much extra time he’ll have to work on his game while at UNC since they get B’s without ever having to attend classes. NCAA approved!

36. DJ
    3:57 pm April 30, 2013 Permalink

d

37. UKfanNKY
    3:58 pm April 30, 2013 Permalink

Get over yourself and sign

38. UKDMD
    4:00 pm April 30, 2013 Permalink

So obviously it’s B per the comments above.

Before anyone freaks out please keep in mind this is a ridiculous rumor and nothing else. Cal would never call K to talk recruiting, especially when wiggins could be going to one of Dukes biggest rivals.

UNLESS, Cal called K to tell him this to prank him bc he knows Wiggins is coming here. But that’s just too funny.

39. ukfan
    4:01 pm April 30, 2013 Permalink

Why would you make us wait for the answer to a Wiggins rumor instead of just breaking it to us.. that isn’t cool

40. it's e
    4:10 pm April 30, 2013 Permalink

No, seriously. It’s E.

41. PennsylvaniaWildcat
    4:13 pm April 30, 2013 Permalink

If the picture’s a hint, it’s D.

42. Jatt Mones
    4:16 pm April 30, 2013 Permalink

Bullshit.

43. UK
    4:19 pm April 30, 2013 Permalink

If any of you all have every heard Michael Jordan speak (HoF speech, etc), I cannot see him ever calling anyone, let alone a high school kid, the next Jordan.

A.

44. Bloodthorne
    4:19 pm April 30, 2013 Permalink

BIG DEAL!!! It didn’t ask which one of these is true…

45. Duke sucks
    4:22 pm April 30, 2013 Permalink

It’s A!
    Don’t blame the kid either. This is a once in a life time opportunity use it to your advantage because the NCAA will be using him next year! To those who say he should announce now Why would he? You can bet the coach already knows where he’s going. Didn’t Randle say he had told Cal about 2 weeks before his PC.

46. GoBlue
    4:29 pm April 30, 2013 Permalink

All of the above.
    Doesn’t mean they’re all true, but I bet they’ve all been reported as rumors.

47. LionGeneral
    4:37 pm April 30, 2013 Permalink

Is Andrew Wiggins as worn out with his recruitment as we are from listening to KSR’s endless obsession with him? If there’s no news fit to print then just don’t print. Especially this ‘cutesy’ drivel . . .

48. kingcat
    4:38 pm April 30, 2013 Permalink

all i know is that he was in lexington on 4/22/13

49. TheColoradoWildcat
    4:40 pm April 30, 2013 Permalink

I think it is “A”.
    I don’t think “B” is too likely, though one of you thinks it would be to jerk K’s chain…lol.
    I guess “C” could be possible, but then again, he could end it all himself by just announcing if he was so tired of it!
    Yes, “D” would be a violation for most schools…..
    And “E” is stupid….EVERY Kentucky game is on TV….I live in Colorado, and have not missed a game is 9 or 10 years!

As for the look on dad’s face….to me, it is more the look of “how much longer do I have to sit here before we can get on with the rest of our lives….? And mom’s look is that of being…”polite”…

Then again, we could all be wrong about “B” in that we presume we know who this coach “K” is regarding….could there be another coach out there that Cal knows, whose first or last name starts with a “K”? Mrs Thompson says that four of the five are “made up!”

50. who cares
    4:42 pm April 30, 2013 Permalink

I am sick of this kid thinking he can hold the nation hostage with making everybody wait. Who cares where he goes? By himself he wont win a title and if he is that hung up on himself……..like archie? …… then DONT come to uk. We dont need another “boy” who wants to play a mans game.

51. Aaronj
    5:08 pm April 30, 2013 Permalink

No way Jordan tells Wiggins that he will be the next Jordan.

52. enoughalready
    5:10 pm April 30, 2013 Permalink

#49 I agree I haven’t forgot april 1. Tyler if you don’t have anything to report just leave it alone…..ok?

53. Winston
    5:14 pm April 30, 2013 Permalink

F) Who cares? I’m over this whole thing.

54. Mrs. Tyler Thompson
    5:17 pm April 30, 2013 Permalink

THE ANSWER IS B!

55. 8andcounting
    5:27 pm April 30, 2013 Permalink

Breakdown of the options:
    A- Very possible. During a lull in the sports world, Wiggins’ recruitment has put him at the forefront of basketball fans’ minds.
    B- Either ridiculous or fabricated. Either Cal would have no reason to tell Coach K about Wiggins’ recruitment, or he could have a reason to tell Coach K something false in order to have, for example, Allerik Freeman commit to the Jayhawks in Wiggins’ spot rather than Duke, as both schools target one of the only remaining ESPN100 recruits on the table and Duke would pose more of a threat than Kansas with an additional scorer.
    C- Just, no.
    D-Jordan is far too egotistical to suggest that ANY player, no matter how good, could be the next him.
    E- If he wants to be an elite player and be the top pick in next year’s NBA draft, Wiggins will want all the exposure he can get. This ties in with option A as both help to build his brand. So this, too, is a possibility.

Conclusion: Either A or E. Both have similar motives, as well as a similar level of practical reasonability. If it is A or E, then let’s go Cats; we’re sitting in good shape.

56. Look at yourself
    5:29 pm April 30, 2013 Permalink

All these middle aged men sitting in front of a computer thinking that some highschool kid is selfish because he is taking his time with a decision that could have a huge impact on his and his family’s life. Give him all the time he needs to make his decision. The rest of you need to back off cause the kid doesn’t owe you sh*t. His recruitment has been incredibly secluded the whole time for a reason. He wants to make the best decision possible without being harassed the way LBJ was with the “what should I do” commercials and “the decision” announcement. He’s being very mature about all of this and the least you could do is show some patients. He isn’t the one doing all the speculating or spreading the rumors so idk why everyone is so pissed off at this kid for wanting to take his time with this very stressful process.

57. Mrs. Tyler Thompson
    5:41 pm April 30, 2013 Permalink

I GAVE YOU ALL THE ANSWER, UNDERGROUND REPORTS ARE COMING OUT OF CHAPEL HILL THAT CAL AND COACH K HAVE DISCUSSED WIGGINS AT LENGTH.

58. Todd
    5:57 pm April 30, 2013 Permalink

I say c

59. tim gray
    5:57 pm April 30, 2013 Permalink

I’m guessing c because a & b seem a little out there and D would be a violation and UNC would have to cease recruitment.

60. tim gray
    6:03 pm April 30, 2013 Permalink

#27, Jordan talking to recruits is not an issue. The head coach setting up the meeting is. Even still, Jordan is considered a booster for UNC. So setting up the meeting is a major violation

61. tyrus
    6:06 pm April 30, 2013 Permalink

A

62. We don't need him
    6:21 pm April 30, 2013 Permalink

B and D are the only ones that don’t make him look like an egotistical drama queen… so B and D are definitely not true.

63. ricky penetrator
    6:24 pm April 30, 2013 Permalink

ANTICIPATION BONER!!!

64. Ole Seven
    6:33 pm April 30, 2013 Permalink

If D were true, wouldn’t that be a violation? I think Jay-Z got fined for talking to UK players a couple years ago because he was part owner of the Nets. I bet the answer is A. He knows he wants to go to Kentucky. Well, at least I know, that he knows, that we all know, that he knows that he wants to go to Kentucky. Or something like that.

65. Uriah Heep
    6:40 pm April 30, 2013 Permalink

@58 “Look at Yourself”-agreed, your comment about middle aged men sitting in front of a computer, I’m an old man and feel I am excluded from your judgements. Wiggins will be OK no matter what, the youngsters will have forgotten him in two years for the “best since LeBron” flavor of the year anyway. What I really want to ask you is where did you come up with LBJ asking “what should I do?” I don’t recall him asking for anyone’s advice or permission, so that’s interesting to me. Care to share a source?

66. RahRah
    6:42 pm April 30, 2013 Permalink

No way in heck do I believe Coach Cal is nonchalantly discussing the recruitment of any of these young men openly with anyone not on his staff!

Gotta say, MrsT, “Spot the real rumor” is as hilarious a title as I’ve seen in a while. Well done.

67. Roland
    6:45 pm April 30, 2013 Permalink

C

68. PepsiCo
    6:49 pm April 30, 2013 Permalink

@69-that all you got? at least plug a flavor for me. stock needs a boost ya know.

69. Notown Ranger
    7:41 pm April 30, 2013 Permalink

How can you be the next Jordan at N.C. if you’re only there one season ?

70. Bunny
    7:50 pm April 30, 2013 Permalink

Nice Mrs TT! You’ve got us all in a tither! Can’t wait to find out!

71. Tim
    7:51 pm April 30, 2013 Permalink

Mrs T, If the real rumor is B as you’ve stated, then, as s the case with most rumors, fails to pass numerous logic tests….as does this entire waste of post.

72. tim gray
    7:56 pm April 30, 2013 Permalink

#71, Williams kept Harrison Barnes at UNC more than 1 year by holding him back. If you remember, Barnes was considered the next lebron or Kobe until Williams worked his magic

73. Roland
    8:17 pm April 30, 2013 Permalink

70, Either, I dreamed it or heard something about it a couple of days ago. Besides, it makes the most sense.

74. Let it be
    8:21 pm April 30, 2013 Permalink

When will it be posted? I’m ready for the decision already though. I really care less about updates at this point unless its hard facts with some back bone. I really believe its Kentucky or UNC . Kansas is in my opinion.. the last option. And i dont think FSU can win a championship so i think that eliminates them.

75. Let it be
    8:23 pm April 30, 2013 Permalink

I think its C

76. Kentucky Roots
    8:24 pm April 30, 2013 Permalink

As a rivals.com premium member I can confirm that the stolen bogus rumor is selection b.

77. M. Jordan
    8:30 pm April 30, 2013 Permalink

Do you really think I would say someone else could ever be Me?

78. Slovakian cabbage
    8:32 pm April 30, 2013 Permalink

Andrew Wiggins хочет играть за UK

Возьмите это в банк

79. rnet
    8:40 pm April 30, 2013 Permalink

so um what’s the answer? please don’t do any other posts like this or at least give a answer in the post…geez

80. HereWeGo
    10:24 pm April 30, 2013 Permalink

Jordan’s last year with the Bulls was 1998. Wiggins was two or three years old. In 2003 he retired from the wizards a mere shadow of his former self. Jordan is to Wiggins as Oscar Robertson is to me. A player I’m told was great. The fact is, players in high school today have almost no memory of anyone before 2005.

81. Balkan Prince
    10:33 pm April 30, 2013 Permalink

@80- Comrade Slovakian: poslať 1.000 rubľov pre mňa a Wiggins bude mačka

82. Look at yourself
    10:34 pm April 30, 2013 Permalink

@67 wasn’t a shot at middle aged men really. Just pointing out how the people putting in the most hate and scrutiny towards this 17 yr old are middle aged men who have almost certainly never been in his position before. And it was actually a commercial for LBJ, it might have been directly after he went to Miami but I’m not sure… It is on YouTube type In LBJ what should I do commercial and it’ll probably be one of the first things to pop up

83. [email protected]
    10:36 pm April 30, 2013 Permalink

This better not be a trend KSR… Making me wait for news? That makes me want to go elsewhere to find my UK news. Boooooooo this is lame. With that said, my opinion at this point if we get him awesome and it shows he’s a smart kid, if not sucks for him bc we are still winning the final four. With or without him… 1 is never greater than 5 bc let’s be honest who can match up better with KU, UNC or FSU next year than our wildcats? No one. Come to UK dominate, go elsewhere get dominated.

84. Uriah Heep
    10:49 pm April 30, 2013 Permalink

@84-Look*- thanks

85. Wise Words for Mr Wiggins
    10:53 pm April 30, 2013 Permalink

“You either get down or you lay down!”
    “If you cant beat them then join them”

With or without Wiggins UK will get number 9, so if he wants to win a championship is one year in college he should come here. If he does not then have fun losing in the first or second round aka Kevin Durant (Texas) Shabazz Muhammed (UCLA)

86. jim
    10:59 pm April 30, 2013 Permalink

whats the answer?? lame BS ksr….

87. Bleed Blue
    1:07 am May 1, 2013 Permalink

I can tell you right now A is also true. The wait helps build up more hype, thus making his brand larger. The 2 month part is pushing it, but he is waiting. He was never going to decide early, it was always going to be this late. I’m just hoping he ends it soon. Fulford said that he will most likely sign a LoI so that means he will be deciding in the next two weeks, but could pull the trigger at anytime.

88. I'm a boss