Sportsnation polls the nation about Nerlens

ESPN SportsNation has a bevy of polls about the impact of Nerlens Noel’s injury, asking fans whether or not Nerlens will come back to school (current results above), whether UK will make the tournament without him (below), where he’ll go in the draft if he goes, and the integrity of the one-and-done rule.

The results to the top poll about whether or not Nerlens should return to school are interesting to me. Those who voted in the state of Kentucky thought he should go to the draft more than the national average. Have we been conditioned to the Calipari Era in putting the player’s best interest first? Also, the results to the poll about the Cats making the tournament show that the majority of fans in the state still believe.

I’m curious to hear your responses to both questions in the comments section.

31 Comments for Sportsnation polls the nation about Nerlens

1. Andy_Cane
    11:46 am February 14, 2013 Permalink

I’ve seen worse teams make the tournament.

2. Pimp K
    11:50 am February 14, 2013 Permalink

I think this team will make it. Nerlens has been a huge help to our team defense and rebounding, but he hasn’t been a major scoring factor. I feel that extra effort by the team can help out with defense and rebounding and we will still be able to keep doing okay on the offensive end. I feel the extra effort will come because the team will know that they need to do so without Nerlens.

3. t_f_licker
    11:52 am February 14, 2013 Permalink

As far as Nerlens going pro, he’d be crazy not to. As far as making the tournament, I for one am not ready to lay down for the Duke’s, Indiana’s, and Florida’s of the NCAA. I figure it’s gonna take 5 more wins to make the tournament. Somewhere in that locker room there’s gotta be a Lou Brown ready to peel a section every time we win one of those five games. Somewhere in that locker room there’s got to be a Spartacus who’s ready to kill a Roman just because it’s Thursday. Somewhere in that locker room there has to be a Magic Johnson who can look even AIDS itself straight in the eyes and say, “Nah, not today.” The last time I checked, we’re the University of F’N Kentucky!! Not only are we gonna make the NCAA tournament, but we’re gonna make it in a blaze of glory!!!

4. t_f_licker
    11:52 am February 14, 2013 Permalink

Side Note: And if we don’t, who really cares, we’re gonna be stacked to the gills next year.

5. 2013 SEC Tourney Champs
    11:59 am February 14, 2013 Permalink

book it : Cats

6. JTack
    11:59 am February 14, 2013 Permalink

What do you guys think the lineup will like like if/when Cauley-Stein gets in foul trouble?

7. Clouseau
    11:59 am February 14, 2013 Permalink

#2 – I agree about Nerlens going pro. I’m sort of confused over all the folks that say he will/ should come back. Obviously it’s his decision and he should do what he wants most, but in no tangible way does this injury hurt his stock, still projected to go in the top 3… so I’m not sure about all the sudden “he should come back” sentiments. He can rehab in the pros just as easily as he can at UK, and next years draft will be absolutely loaded…

I’d love to see him come back, but I also realize that’s pretty selfish. The kid does seem to love UK deeply however, so who knows.

8. jim tom
    12:01 pm February 14, 2013 Permalink

I’m actually surprised that our state isn’t red in the first poll.

9. Conspiracy theorist
    12:04 pm February 14, 2013 Permalink

After reviewing the video of Nerlen’s injury, I just can’t understand why the basket support at the Oconnell center is so close to the floor. According to NCAA rules on court markings, the support should be 6 feet beyond the baseline. Could Florida have violated NCAA rules? Would Nerlens be injured today?

10. Crizzle
    12:05 pm February 14, 2013 Permalink

If Nerlens returns next year WCS will go pro. He’s a probably lottery pick that only played about 20 minutes a game with 2 centers on the team. Add in d. Johnson and who knows how much he will play. Nerlens injury adds another layer to recruitment and possible returnees.

11. Crizzle
    12:09 pm February 14, 2013 Permalink

And I would hate to lose out on J. Randle or A. Gordon because they think its possible that the front court will be to crowded and then we see Nerlens announce to go pro a month later.

12. buzzard
    12:09 pm February 14, 2013 Permalink

I would LOVE to have Nerlens back next year; however, Nerlens should do what’s best for him. I hope and pray he has a full recovery. If he is in the top 10 in the draft he should go to the NBA. I would hate for him to return to UK and get injured again. UK will be okay regardless of what Nerlens does. To fans, it’s a game. To Noel, it’s his future.

13. Matt
    12:11 pm February 14, 2013 Permalink

the UL fans want him to declare so they don’t have to face him next year…

14. Circle
    12:14 pm February 14, 2013 Permalink

Pretty sure it’s saying what nerlens should do… Not what he will do.

15. Good luck Nerlens
    12:16 pm February 14, 2013 Permalink

The whole reason for 1 and done , is every high school player thought they where ready for the NBA! School couldn’t count on a recruiting class untill after the NBA deadline. I think baseball has the best rule and would like to see the NCAA do the same for basketball and make it 2 years instead of 3.
    UK will make the NCAA. I think we could do the Samething Boston is doing. No way any team is going to be better with out Nerlens, but. I think this team could play better now. This team has the talent and our biggest problem is effort and playing for the team. Hopefully Alex and Goodwin will take this personal and play the way they can! Agian I’m NOT saying we are better with out Neelens I’m saying others could step up and play inspired now that Nerlens is out. It could be the thing to bring them together as a team.
    I don’t think every body should panic over the Flordia game. They are a legit top 5 team and at home. That was a game they needed badly because Cal has owned Billy D and they needed that game to show they are the #1 team in the SEC. We will give them a lot better game in Rupp! The only games so far that was a bad losses was Baylor and A&M. If we beat Missouri and don’t have any surprises we will make the NCAA with breathing room!

16. Pimp K
    12:21 pm February 14, 2013 Permalink

I think Nerlens will stay because such an injury is a very traumatic injury mentally and physically to the individual. You are very depressed in a way because you are in a lot of pain and you are stuck laying around a lot. I have torn my ACL myself and have personal experience of the depressing nature of the injury. I’m just not sure Nerlens will want to tackle something new like the NBA while he’s trying to put all his focus into getting better. I feel like he will want to be around friends to help him pull through this. I don’t think he will want to enter a new situation be around new people while dealing with this.

17. RICK
    12:24 pm February 14, 2013 Permalink

He will go pro, we win sat. and we will be in, i think we win sat.

18. tickle
    12:25 pm February 14, 2013 Permalink

nerlens is still projected as a top 5 pick this year. he’d be crazy to come back. how would it benefit him?

19. Duke sucks
    12:28 pm February 14, 2013 Permalink

Acl injuries have become common place in athletes now days. It used to be 1 calendar year rehab then it was hit and miss if the player was the same. Now it’s 6-8 months rehab and it’s the norm for a complete recovery! It looks as if Noel would be ready to go by the start of the season next year, so why would anybody think Noel would come back? This kid is from a big family so I’m sure the money could help his family! Most are saying he is still in the top 5.

20. Good luck Nerlens
    12:40 pm February 14, 2013 Permalink

Why do we have some who want to do this every year? Saying they think a kid loves school and they are going to turn down millions and comeback to school. If anything this injury should galvanize the reason for these kids to go pro! Noel has played his ass of for UK, he has been very gracious to the community and given so much for others! Everybody has gained from him choosing UK but him. He hasn’t gained nothing from his time here.
    He needs to go pro and reap the benifte of his hard work. I would get coming back to school if his stock had dropped a lot but by all mock drafts I’ve seen he’s top 5, so go young man. It’s been a pleasure to watch him. I put Noel in with MKG as being 1 of the few players that UK is better off for having them play here.
    I hate to be the barer of bad news to some who are little out of touch, but unless the NBA just doesn’t want them Goodwin and Alex are gone too. Most Mock drafts still has them between 10-15. If they are that high their gone and rightfully so. In Goodwins case the pro game probably suits his game better any way!

21. Good luck Nerlens
    12:55 pm February 14, 2013 Permalink

I think the better and most fair question is if WCS comes back? Will seeing Nerlens get hurt will make his mind up for him? He is projected to be a late 1 round pick, but if he comesback he could be a top 10 pick. He does have a hard choice to make. He could come back be on a championship quality team. He clearly needs a year in the weight room plus given he played football this would be the first year he has all summer of nothing but basketball.
    I ,being a fan think he needs to comeback. He is going to have a hard choice. Plus with Lee looking to be a lot better then we thought and Johnson being a dominate 5 will he get the PT to improve his draft stock. Not to mention the 3 we still are recruiting, it’s hard to think Cal won’t get at least one of them and that means less PT for WCS!

22. Jen
    1:14 pm February 14, 2013 Permalink

Your problem is you equate a giant pile of money with Noel’s, or anyone’s, best interests. These elite kids at UK are going to be insured and if they have to come back, go to class, and grow as a person, then I don’t think their interests have been harmed.

23. doronslamb
    1:17 pm February 14, 2013 Permalink

I think the support that Noel is getting from BBN plus the love he feels from Kentucky will motivate him to stay and go out with a title next year…he can fine tone his offensive skill, prove to nba the knee is fine and have the most fun a 19 year old kid could possibly have, maybe even leading a team to an undefeated season…the money will come, he’s got an insurance policy as a backup…I just think this kid is special and that he really wants to give back to these fans with #9…don’t be shocked if he announces in the next week he is coming back!…if he don’t we still wish him the best next year

24. the Big Dog
    1:18 pm February 14, 2013 Permalink

Thank you Montana, Maine, New Mexico and Alaska. I think Nerlens may wait to see how his rehab goes. If he can demonstrate that he on his way back, I think he’s gone. It would be great to have him next year (duh!!) becasue I think that Johnson will take some time to develop. Lee may be more ready to be a defensive impact player.

25. Bob Loblaw
    1:45 pm February 14, 2013 Permalink

In most cases, leaving early is not in the player’s best interest. It’s in the agent’s best interest. It’s time to stop spreading this propaganda.

26. Good luck Nerlens
    2:02 pm February 14, 2013 Permalink

25) How is getting this money not in their best interest? Don’t kid yourself money makes the world go around. I bet if anther company offered you a 200% pay raise you would take it!
    23) coming back to win a title is the worst move anybody could make! UK has won 8 in over 100 years and we ARE the best program in college BB( UCLA was more of just having a good coach and a NCAA willing to look the other way.) my point is they hard to win and if that’s the only reason you comeback, even with what we are going to have its along way from a sure thing. Making anything short of a banner a fail!
    Yes Nerlens has been great to Lexington but he’s only been here less then a year so how in love with it can he be! Im sure what city gets him will have hospitals and Nerlens will continue to help needy kids only now he will be able to give money as well as his time!
    We got to stop looking at this as fans and more like a business because that’s what it is when it’s all said and done!

27. Mc
    2:12 pm February 14, 2013 Permalink

#25-or it may also be in the best interest of the player’s family.

28. GubbaHump
    2:13 pm February 14, 2013 Permalink

Glad that second map wasn’t the 2012 election map!

29. Onions
    2:46 pm February 14, 2013 Permalink

#26 Did you watch college basketball in 2007? The Florida guys came back for no reason other than to win back to back titles and thats exactly what they did. I think its an excellent goal to set for yourself whether you achieve it or not. And finally its just a game so we shouldnt look at it any other way than as a fan. Yes its a business for the people involved but everybody on this site is a fan and thats exactly the perspective we should look at it from.

30. Good luck Nerlens
    2:48 pm February 14, 2013 Permalink

27) amen! I don’t see how it can be in any bodies best interest to turn down a top 5 draft pick and the millions that go with it! By the way he carries himself he is mature enough to handle the money and you can finish your education over the summer and on-line. We just have to stop looking at it threw a fans glasses!

31. An old buzzard
    3:15 pm February 14, 2013 Permalink

Get your heads on straight! To paraphrase a favorite Cal expression: “I been doing this a long time (1958).” Since then the Cats have won 1300-plus games, 5 National Championships,umpteen SEC Championships, etc.,etc. (You know the litany.)Nerlens Noel played in 16 of those wins and none of the rest of it. Any more stupid questions? Make the tournament? To hell with that; the goal never changes……win the damned thing!