Sports Illustrated sees Mark Stoops, gives him some love

stoopswalk

Sports Illustrated’s Zac Ellis has a nice profile of Mark Stoops’ first months as Kentucky’s new football coach. Ellis summarizes what Stoops has done on the recruiting trail so far, most notably landing big in-state talents like Jason Hatcher and Ryan Timmons. Even more so, he’s brought football to the front of fans’ minds during basketball season, something unheard of until now:

In a few short months, Stoops believes he’s taken steps toward bringing Kentucky back to relevance. Like any new hire, he assures such transformation won’t occur overnight, but he won’t downplay the importance of going toe-to-toe with the country’s top teams on the recruiting trail.

After all, that’s been the formula for success for another Kentucky athletic program. And if all goes according to plan, perhaps Stoops can turn some Big Blue hoop heads into football fanatics. “I don’t think coach [John] Calipari has anything to worry about there,” Stoops joked. “I think there are just enough fans around the state to support us both.”

The article doesn’t include anything we haven’t heard before, but it’s still nice to see Stoops and the football Cats getting some national recognition.

[SI.com: Mark Stoops out to revive Kentucky on field and recruiting trail]

12 Comments for Sports Illustrated sees Mark Stoops, gives him some love

1. First
    5:08 pm March 22, 2013 Permalink

First?

2. First
    5:08 pm March 22, 2013 Permalink

YES! Victory!

3. stangluvr
    5:11 pm March 22, 2013 Permalink

What is this “basketball” you speak of?

4. Zach
    5:12 pm March 22, 2013 Permalink

Stoops is getting us on a fast track to being a SEC and BCS Bowl contender in a couple of years with some work. SSSSSSSSTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!

5. Justin
    5:31 pm March 22, 2013 Permalink

Any news on if kyle wiltjer is transferring to gonzaga??

6. Ksr, i understand your motto of bringing news in the most ridiculous manner possible. “bringing Kentucky back to relevance”.This statement is a testament to that.

7. Calf
    5:45 pm March 22, 2013 Permalink

#6) Those were SI’s words not KSR’s.

8. actually...
    5:53 pm March 22, 2013 Permalink

7) SI makes it sound like they were CMS’ words…

9. brain
    5:55 pm March 22, 2013 Permalink

I didn’t realize we were ever relevant in FB.

10. Calf
    6:12 pm March 22, 2013 Permalink

2007 we were #7 in the BCS at one point. Seemed a little relevant to me.

I’ve never been able to understand why some UK fans think it’s cool to make fun of UK football.

11. Trolls be trolls
    6:43 pm March 22, 2013 Permalink

Haha the tard trolls are out in force. Can’t wait to watch them all disappear after they lose in the tourney. Anyways my point…. The Stoops Train is about to take off either your on or your gonna get ran the F**k over!!

12. Cloudy reality
    7:46 pm March 22, 2013 Permalink

#11 you mention a Stoops train. Well I have seen the train wreck that has been UK FB for 35+ years. I have been told from Curci to Claiborne to Curry to Mumme to Morriss to Brooks to Joker that “no really, this is the guy that will make us relevant.” I think Stoops has had a great couple months and I wish him well. I am very guardedly optimistic. But geez do you guys realize how YOU can be regarded as delusional when Stoops has yet to coach a game? I am always on board, but just like i said when UK hired Gillispie…..he’s gonna have to show me he can do it before I jump on people that say he can’t.