Sports Illustrated says Boogie is raw, immature… and worthy of a max contract

dmcusa_670

Does this count as shots fired? Because I’m usually pretty quick to come to Boogie’s defense, especially when people say things like the following:

Kings center DeMarcus Cousins has defaulted on most every standard of athletic professionalism in his three-year NBA career. He clashed with two coaches – one a regrettable, ill-fitting hire (Paul Westphal), the other promoted because of his bond with Cousins (Keith Smart) – and survived both of their firings. His body language is horrendous and tends to irk referees (Cousins led the NBA in technical fouls last season) as much as it does casual fans. He’s been suspended by his team and the NBA and allowed his frustrations on the court to boil over into postgame confrontations with teammates and broadcasters.

That was courtesy of  Rob Mahoney of Sports Illustrated, who later in the article also called him a “loose cannon aimed in no particular direction.” So, spoiler alert, he’s not exactly a huge fan of DeMarcus Cousins, the person. Still though, Mahoney thinks the Kings would be wise to lock him up longterm, saying:

Only one other NBA player matched Cousins last season in both scoring and rebounding per minute. That player was Tim Duncan, and while the two make for an odd coupling of inverse personalities, their comparison should put in perspective the caliber of production at stake in Cousins’ career. His is simply a case of an All-NBA talent wrapped in a consistent headache, and it’s frankly easier to track down an economy-sized bottle of Tylenol than a big-man prospect with Cousins’ bona fides.

The Tylenol metaphor seems a tad harsh, but it’s hard to argue with his overall point: no matter what concerns might exist surrounding DMC’s alleged antics, when measured by just about any statistical category, he’s one of the truly elite big men in the game today. And he’s only 22.

If that’s not enough to convince the Kings to do the right thing, Mahoney also brings up a second point for why Sacramento should extend him, and it’s good one– longterm stability might soften the edges of some of the other issues that seem to swirl around Boogie:

He can grow as a person and player if given the right opportunities in controlled, fixed environments. By that same logic, he could stand to benefit from the resolution of a quick extension as opposed to playing out the season with his impending free agency swirling overhead.

Getting Cousins on the right path involves keeping his head as clear of such distractions when possible, and on the contract issue the Kings have the power to set his immediate future in ink. It’s a gamble that understandably will make some nervous. But as long as the Kings are sold on Cousins as a basketball entity (and given the statistical company he keeps, I don’t know why they wouldn’t be), they have ample reason to lock him up as a means of securing a foundation.

That I totally agree with. For all the talk of Cousins being a coach-killer, etc, Sacramento was hardly an environment conducive to the development of young players to begin with. Since Day 1 of Cousins career there, the ownership has been up in the air, relocation rumors have run rampant, and seemingly every other week, his name has come up in trade talks. Longterm stability has never been something available to Boogie.

Hopefully though, that changes soon.

For that reason and more, it’s time to pay the man, Sactown.

[ SI: DeMarcus Cousins is raw, immature and still worthy of a max extension ]

Article written by Andrew McCarthy

21 Comments for Sports Illustrated says Boogie is raw, immature… and worthy of a max contract

1. Do whut?
    3:03 pm July 29, 2013 Permalink

Said it before and I’ll say it again, until Davis proves himself in the League, Boogie is the best of the Cal era.

2. Boogie
    3:23 pm July 29, 2013 Permalink

Locker room cancer.

3. Musehobo
    3:33 pm July 29, 2013 Permalink

I think this guy’s correct. Boogie is a headache for the Kings, but kind of like T.O. was in Dallas…one that produced A LOT. It’s easier for the Kings to try and deal with him/minimize the damage than replace him with a less talented up-and-comer.

I bet if you put incentives in his contract to have less technicals each year it would be a good start. There’s a way to fix these things…at least a bit.

4. Jesus
    3:34 pm July 29, 2013 Permalink

I love Cousins, but for his own sake he should seek professional help. That could be the difference between being a Tim Duncan or a Rasheed Wallace…

5. LIL c
    3:43 pm July 29, 2013 Permalink

#1 You can say it 100 times, that doesn’t make you right. Anthony Davis set records that none of us here today will live long enough to see broken!! You said “the best of Cals era.” Cals era stops after college. What the players go on to achieve after that, he has nothing to do with. Davis gets my vote, easily.

6. Catlogic15
    3:53 pm July 29, 2013 Permalink

I don’t agree with the logic that a max contract would hasten Boogie’s maturity.

7. Response to 5 & 1
    4:17 pm July 29, 2013 Permalink

Davis is already better. Look at the Blue and White USA scrimmage. Davis was pouring in 22 points while Boogie was on the side lines pouting about not getting to start. And don’t forget who jumped center that game as well. His attitude is holding him back BIG TIME.

8. Bizarro NBA GM
    4:20 pm July 29, 2013 Permalink

“His struggle is man’s struggle. He lifts my spirit.” “He is a loathesome, offensive brute. Yet I can’t look away.”

9. Yuhp
    4:23 pm July 29, 2013 Permalink

Boogie isn’t a bad guy he just don’t like to looosee. Seriously though I love boogie and I wish the kings were more relevant. What he needs is an all star point guard like Chris Paul/kyrie/wall I feel like that would settle him.

10. BigCuz
    4:36 pm July 29, 2013 Permalink

needs to learn to let go of the things he has no control over. Let go. Keep moving forward. Stop dwelling on every little thing that doesn’t go your way!

11. Eric
    4:40 pm July 29, 2013 Permalink

He is a terrible person I’m a big cats fan but my son went to the camp one this year and Cuz was a total ass didn’t do anything with the kids till the media showed up he was there with to goon body guards at a kids camp never will I root for him again!!

12. Do whut?
    4:54 pm July 29, 2013 Permalink

#5 clearly my statement included what the players are doing in the pros. If you choose to change te parameters that’s a different discussion.

#7 I think you are waaaaay underestimating the points and rebounds per minute stat. Not to say Davis’ defensive ability isn’t a huge plus but Cousins was second only to Tim Duncan in what is one of the most valuable statistical breakdowns in the league. Second in the entire NBA.

As for Boogie’s attitude I’d like to see a doctor assess him for bipolar disorder.

13. Chicago Chris
    4:57 pm July 29, 2013 Permalink

How many run-ins with the law has Cousins had?

14. Chicago Chris
    4:58 pm July 29, 2013 Permalink

#11 That is disturbing. I’m disappointed to hear that.

15. J in Orlando
    5:08 pm July 29, 2013 Permalink

11 interesting since that is the complete opposite experience I have heard from 30-40 other families whose kids have been around Cuz in those situations

16. Do whut?
    6:09 pm July 29, 2013 Permalink

p.s.- #5 I don’t mean it as a knock on Davis nor am I ignoring his stellar stats already in the NBA or his eventual upside. I just think Cats fans forget how good Cousins really is and can be. He has now started sprinkling in Kevin Love style stat sheets on a more regular basis. I’d be more than pleased to build a team around either player.

17. Eric
    7:52 pm July 29, 2013 Permalink

Well Orlando didn’t make it up the guy is a punk

18. red headed step child
    9:25 pm July 29, 2013 Permalink

Eric, are you a troll? I didn’t get that vive from Cousins. He is not in trouble with the law. that’s good enough for me. I would love to see him get his head on straight, but he is an easy TARGET because he wears his emotions on his sleeve. His suspension for the media member he complained to was Bullshit!t.

19. Some Guy in Kentucky
    10:18 pm July 29, 2013 Permalink

I think Big Cuz would do better on a winning team. It is hard for someone that is used to winning to lose 10 games a month.

20. Kevin C.
    2:17 am July 30, 2013 Permalink

This is kind of a no-brainer, really. After all, it’s not like “immaturity” has ever kept a guy from making lots of money in pro sports.

21. Bledsoe's Biceps
    8:49 am July 30, 2013 Permalink

We’re talking about the Sac Kings here. Their ownership & management isn’t exactly known for making good decisions. Boogie’s performance and potential absolutely warrant a max contract, but his immaturity/attitude/etc give any team a convenient reason not to do so. He may finally see how his “issues” can cost him 10’s of millions of dollars and MAYBE that can be the incentive for him to make some changes. I love the guy and believe he is genuinely a good person, but he needs to stop the childish antics.