Sporting News: Vitale Calls Jones’ Effort ’embarrassing’

eastboundsportingnews

Stop me if you’ve heard this before, but Dick Vitale called Terrence Jones’ effort vs. IU ’embarrassing.’

The Sporting News reports Vitale as saying:

“I’ve been doing games for 33 years. I can’t ever remember a great player in a game where I ever had to talk about (not) playing hard. I’ve had guys have bad games. Obviously, that happens to everybody. I was trying to give him the benefit of the doubt. Maybe he’s sick. It was really embarrassing, to be honest with you.”

Click over and read the rest. This article has it all: Vitale, basketball, Calipari, Kentucky, Terrence Jones and Chattanooga.

——————————————————————————————————————————————————

OK, that was really just a front for what I wanted to post about today: Derek Jeter. I like the Yankees just fine, but this isn’t just about Derek Jeter the baseball player. This is about Derek Jeter being one greatest game changers of our time.

New York magazine reported today that Derek Jeter gives his one night stand house guests a ‘gift basket’ when they leave his apartment the next day:

Instead he has a gift basket prepared for the car service he sends them home in. It usually contains autographed Jeter memorabilia, often a baseball – just a little souvenir by which they can remember the Derek Jeter Experience. The Post says they found out about it when Jeter accidentally had a two-night stand, and he sent her home with the same gift twice. Maybe if she’d gotten something new and fun (collect ’em all, ladies!) she wouldn’t have blown up his spot, but he failed to change things up properly. “While the parting gift may seem cold, signed Jeter memorabilia sell like hotcakes on the Internet, with an autographed baseball fetching hundreds and even thousands of dollars,” explains the paper. It’s a profit opportunity, really. You know, in case you want to feel less like an interchangable hookup and more like a prostitute.

Don’t miss this, “Jeter accidentally had a two-night stand.” These gift exchanges happened so frequently that he honestly had no idea that he ever “held hands” with the woman before. Do you know why amusement parks place gift shops near the exits of roller coasters? They do that because people want to buy products bearing the name of the ride so that they can relive the experience and brag to others that they did it. Derek Jeter obviously understands this, as he is creating hundreds, maybe thousands of brand representatives annually. By creating the ultimate “but wait, there’s more!” moment, Derek Jeter knows he is giving his new friends something that will memorialize their time forever: a souvenir. I’ll bet they don’t teach that at your fancy Harvard business school.

A grown, thirty-seven year old man uses his fame and fortune to bring women back to his residence to “hold hands,” all the while making no commitments. When the fun times are over, he sends them home with a gift basket containing goods bearing his signature. To some, it is dirty, bizarre, immature and inappropriate behavior. To others, he is a revolutionary.

But he is hardly the first to change the game. Chet “The Rocket” Steadman despised the way the old timers allowed women to embark on the “walk of shame” the morning after, so he he began leaving quarters on his kitchen table for bus fare. Rick Vaughn raised that bar even higher when he began the practice of paying for an actual cab ride the next morning. Steve Nebraska had a closet full of women’s sweatshirts, sized from “Extra Small” to “Large Medium” to hand out before the early a.m. commute. Nuke LaLoosh, the reported inspiration to Eldrick Tont Woods, was known to give his PYTs the same phone number his wife used to reach him.*

Of course, without these men, Derek Jeter would be ostrasized.  Because of them, he is celebrated.

*This is a joke. Cheating on your spouse is inexcusable.

Article written by Tyler Montell

55 Comments for Sporting News: Vitale Calls Jones’ Effort ’embarrassing’

1. thegreatbluewa11
    6:08 pm December 13, 2011 Permalink

To think, instead of waiting in line for hours, pushing past fans and yelling my lungs out so jeter might happen to grab my ball an pen and give me an autograph, all I had to do was suck his…

2. One Team One Brow
    6:13 pm December 13, 2011 Permalink

The “Is 55 the new #1” on the magazine must be about Jorts

3. string music
    6:13 pm December 13, 2011 Permalink

Dang KSR…..Kick dead horses much?

4. Biglaw Dawgin'
    6:26 pm December 13, 2011 Permalink

I hate to say it, but TJ’s effort was pretty embarrassing. To me, it looked like he was pouting. Then gave a lack of effort as if to say to the team (or whoever upset him), “you can’t do it without me.”

This wasn’t just a bad game for TJ. Somebody (from the UK side) got under his skin either before or during the game, and he didn’t like it. As a former college B-ball player, I’ve seen this happen with star players many times. Ego’s get bruised and they shut it down for a game or a practice or whatever. I don’t know if it’s to prove their worth, but it happens. Not that he’ll do it again, but the loss kind of reinforced that attitude. The truth is, UK can’t go too far without it’s best player busting it 24/7.

Truthfully, I kept waiting for KSR to break this thing down and let us know what happened, but obviously we’re all still speculating at this point. If anyone watches a reply of the game, be on the lookout for when the lack of effort began. I can bet that it started just after TJ got repremanded for something. If it started from the tip, maybe we’re missing something pre-game. Either way, this doesn’t appear to be a mere “off day.”

5. Hawk
    6:28 pm December 13, 2011 Permalink

Can you imagine how HOT the woman must have been for Jeter to go back for the second night?

6. STL.cat
    6:30 pm December 13, 2011 Permalink

#5 this is a kentucky fan site, you are not a kentucky fan. you should probably leave.

7. Biglaw Dawgin'
    6:31 pm December 13, 2011 Permalink

5 – You can’t call Cal “gutless” because he essentially benched TJ the entire second half. If Davis wasn’t in foul trouble, Jones would’ve been on the bench the entire time. Playing him was out of necessity at that point. I don’t think one poor effort negates the fact that he’s one of our best players and usually gives 100%. Other than this game, I can’t recall anything he’s done to label himself a “cancer.” That’s pretty harsh, IMO.

8. Ktmiln2
    6:31 pm December 13, 2011 Permalink

5- don’t talk about things you don’t know about as if it is fact. Take that weak ish elsewhere.

9. Ddt
    6:31 pm December 13, 2011 Permalink

Im telling u it started after mkg didnt pass on a breakaway and took it himself tj got real whinny after

10. josh
    6:37 pm December 13, 2011 Permalink

Vitale wont you go and f*** yourself. U worry about u and Duke and not worry abouth UK. When it is the end of the year, then you can talk about UK a little, loser.

11. Biglaw Dawgin'
    6:38 pm December 13, 2011 Permalink

10 – I recall that. I was watching and said “give it up, give it up, ok take it.” And now that you mention it, TJ did have a reaction like “WTF.” I think TJ hit his chest or did something to show his frustration.

In retrospect, MKG should’ve given it up and that can be frustrating, but not enough to quit on your team. If that’s the case, I’m sure they’re watching the film and Cal is giving TJ an earful. Based on Cal’s team management skills, he’s also likely giving the younger guys an earful too, in order to ensure this doesn’t happen again. I’ve got a feeling that the guys will start feeding TJ down low a bit more next game and we’ll see better team chemistry.

12. lol
    6:41 pm December 13, 2011 Permalink

You people need to lay off Jones. Jeez, the kid had a bad game. It’s not all his fault and he isn’t the first player to ever have a bad game. The best of the best have bad games. It’s not all his fault that we lost, even with his little contribution, we were still ahead in the final seconds.

We lost because of the perfect storm in Bloomington. We lost because of a desperation three. We lost because young “kids” couldn’t handle a hostile environment. We lost because those kids didn’t listen to Cal when he said foul when they get across half court.

Don’t put all the blame on one kid. When he comes up big for us in the following months and helps us to the national title…I don’t want any of you haters jumping back on the bandwagon. If you can’t support the kids in the worst of times, we don’t want you to support them in the best of times.

13. ktmiln2
    6:42 pm December 13, 2011 Permalink

11- Same goes for you as 5. Quit acting like you know what you’re talking about when you clearly don’t.

14. ktmiln2
    6:44 pm December 13, 2011 Permalink

I swear some of our fans make me think BBN is ridiculous.

15. me
    6:50 pm December 13, 2011 Permalink

I agree 18. If that is UK fans and not trolls, they need to move on to another team, or quit watching all together. They are obviously not mature enough to understand it is a game, and these are kids with outside factors going on in their lives.

16. saki7
    6:51 pm December 13, 2011 Permalink

It’s probably not true, but I can’t help but wonder if there’s some kind of power struggle between Jones and MKG for leadership of the team..and that part of the team dynamic is shaky. They’re all still new to playing with each other, so I guess it’ll take a while for chemistry to develop. Hopefully they’ll end the season as close as last year’s team seemed to be. That always seems to help.

17. bung
    6:54 pm December 13, 2011 Permalink

miller and kidd looked good…wiltjer prob would have with more minutes

18. BBN
    6:57 pm December 13, 2011 Permalink

The difference between having a bad game and quitting On your teammates. Thank you Dickie V for calling Jones out. Kaboom!!

19. here ya go
    6:59 pm December 13, 2011 Permalink

there is a big difference from having a bad game and not putting forth any effort.. 1 rebound-1 assist-0 fouls.. for a person who leads the team in rebounding and is a shot blocker down low.. those stats are pretty telling..feel free to rag me for calling it like it is.. but effort has been a knock on jones before. there was a freethrow that they showed jones.. everyone on the team except him was bent over grabbing shorts sweat pouring off them, he had barely broken a sweat and was looking around like he was on drugs. Knew at that moment he was totally not into the game.

20. gomer
    7:01 pm December 13, 2011 Permalink

Hey, players used to feel it was honor to play for ky and gave 110%.

21. Ryan
    7:10 pm December 13, 2011 Permalink

damn, i thought kenny powers was going to be in the article

22. me
    7:12 pm December 13, 2011 Permalink

24-cheer for someone else then. I hear Duke players play for the name on the front of their chest all the time

23. Ranger
    7:26 pm December 13, 2011 Permalink

It’s just sports chill out.

24. 101_ blue
    7:32 pm December 13, 2011 Permalink

Dickie V got fire from coaching, so his opinion ain’t much.

25. blitzedanddazed
    7:34 pm December 13, 2011 Permalink

Where the hell does Dick Vitale get the nerve to call Terrence Jones an “embarrassment”.
    How would Vitale like it if someone talked about his two daughters and what an “embarrassment” they were to the
    University of Notre Dame.
    This prick Vitale does not even care that Terrence Jones is a college kid that has a family that cares about their son.
    Look up the word “jagoff” in the dictionary and you will see the picture of Dick Vitale.

26. Me
    7:34 pm December 13, 2011 Permalink

Thank gawd… ANOTHER thread talking down TJ.

I wish our fanbase could rally around our players and bombard these ‘talking heads’ when they talk sh!t about OUR players. But, as it turns out – our own fanbase talks down our players and Matt and ksr give these ‘fans’ that platform.

Wish Cal and the players would request the same treatment Joker now gets from ksr – the royal treatment…

27. Hal
    7:35 pm December 13, 2011 Permalink

when did what jeter does with his balls become ksr news??

28. Me
    7:36 pm December 13, 2011 Permalink

Oh yeah, and F U Dicky V, ya douche.

You’re the embarrassment – a grown azz man talking down a 19 year old kid. Bet ya wouldn’t way it to his face, Dick…

29. 101_ blue
    7:41 pm December 13, 2011 Permalink

Dickie V needs to retire.

30. Me
    7:42 pm December 13, 2011 Permalink

Oh and Matt – you do realize at least half of these people posting (even with UK’ish names) are uofl fans getting to take free shots from at OUR guy from Jefferson County via ksr…

31. Skeps
    7:45 pm December 13, 2011 Permalink

I’m tired of people throwing TJ under the bus. He was put in the post too many straight times which was predictable which led to turnovers. He only got 1 rebound because IU ran a bunch of Iso’s with Zeller and Davis to defend down low which kept Jones out of the lane.

32. Bledsoe's Biceps
    7:45 pm December 13, 2011 Permalink

Man, I wish IndianaSportsRadio would do another negative post on Terrence Jones so every idiot could take some more shots at him in the comments.

33. RidgeRunner
    7:48 pm December 13, 2011 Permalink

No comment. I think most know how I feel and have since the game clock hit 0:00

34. RidgeRunner
    7:54 pm December 13, 2011 Permalink

I will say this…

For those of you who think calling out our players is unimaginable as a UK fan….you would have had a heart attack listening to Cawood Ledford.

Doesn’t mean we don’t bleed blue and want the best for any UK player…just means we hold them responsible for their actions or inactions. What a difference it appears from generation to generation. Saying “no” to someone today means you are the enemy. My have times changed in our culture and as fans.

35. Bledsoe's Biceps
    8:03 pm December 13, 2011 Permalink

39 – I’m plenty old enough to remember many games called by Cawood. But in my opinion that is a poor analogy. 1) Cawood did it in public using his face/voice/name. 2) Cawood was paid to give his opinion and 3) He would say it and move on. These comment sections simply give anonymous people a platform to rant for days on end.

36. ktmiln2
    8:14 pm December 13, 2011 Permalink

39- not to mention, half of these a-holes spreading crap about a player. It’s one thing to criticize a player, it’s another thing to slander. It’s a 19 year old kid for chrissakes. People need to quit trying to re-live their “glory days” vicariously through teenagers. It’s sad and kind of disturbing.

37. 101_ blue
    8:15 pm December 13, 2011 Permalink

anybody can pull a upset, IU was USC three years ago.

38. Wildcat Kyle
    8:56 pm December 13, 2011 Permalink

#5 Cant be the real Truth. There is no way he can spell all those words. He cant even speak clear english.

39. Wildcat Kyle
    9:00 pm December 13, 2011 Permalink

I wonder if u punched Dick Vitale in the belly if hi glass eye would pop out?

40. Makers Man
    9:19 pm December 13, 2011 Permalink

32 -Exactly correct. Who gives a damn about Jeter and his women on KSR? If I wanted to read about major league baseball, I would NOT come to KSR. C’mon Matt Jones, get some talent back on KSR. Hell, even BTI at least kept to topic. And where is Beisner? Get him writing more.

41. Bobby Knight
    9:24 pm December 13, 2011 Permalink

Cause uh…on uh count uh….when Dick Vitale says it, it ain’t hatin’!!!

BITE ME!!!

42. Bobby Knight
    9:28 pm December 13, 2011 Permalink

It ain’t cheatin’ if you don’t get caught.

Or if you got enough money that it don’t matter if you get caught…

43. Legs
    9:55 pm December 13, 2011 Permalink

I think UK should have taken Terrence Ross instead of Jones.

44. Big Sarge in the Korengal Valley, Afghanistan
    10:41 pm December 13, 2011 Permalink

Poor 19 year old “KID.” He’s going to school on someone else’s dime and in a year or so, he’ll be making millions. I know. It’s tough to have to actually get up and PLAY basketball 32-40 times a year. I know. It’s real tough.

Lots tougher than being shot at, rocketed, mortared, and IED’d in Afghanistan or Iraq on a daily basis.

I really feel sorry for these Kentucky Basketball Players. They’ve got it really hard.

Damn! I wish they had it as easy as my fellow Infantrymen and me and the rest of my brothers in Konduz, Ghazi, Wardak, Helmand, Korengal and the Marines in Fallujah. We just don’t know how easy we got it.

We could have to play 30 to 40 basketball games over the course of a year. Now that would be TOUGH!!!

45. Gocats
    10:49 pm December 13, 2011 Permalink

Go cats
    Boo to bad fans

46. Woot
    10:52 pm December 13, 2011 Permalink

49- wow reality check for BBN
    Go Armed Forces!

47. kyhank
    11:25 pm December 13, 2011 Permalink

T jones Quit I know it he knows it you know it and Dick knows it, Cal also knows it but he will do the best thing for the player and call it a bad game !! I hope his team mates get over it because also know he quit !!

48. kyhank
    11:28 pm December 13, 2011 Permalink

Saturday They Quiters had they day

49. Carl
    11:40 pm December 13, 2011 Permalink

Vitale has no idea what’s going on with TJ and needs to shut the hell up.

50. Mikee Mike
    3:58 am December 14, 2011 Permalink

Vitale Is right!! Don’t start saying I’m not a fan.. If I wasn’t than it wouldn’t bother me that Jones played like a baby.. I don’t want to hear that he is just a kid. That’s B.S. You can Have bad games. T
    there is no excuse for quiting.. When you’re not playing good you should try that much harrde

We don’t have to win all the time, but we should always be tough.
    Jones can be great if he stays out of his own way.

51. notTJones
    4:07 am December 14, 2011 Permalink

80 of 8760

That’s how many hours out of a 365 day year that a College Basketball player is expected to give 100% effort.

Basically, that is .009% of the time.

Coach Cal and the Big Blue Nation is expecting that for LESS THAN 1% of Terrence Jones time that he give 100% effort.

I guess that’s just too much. lol

52. PUNT PUNT
    7:47 am December 14, 2011 Permalink

RELAX FOLKS!!! It was 1 game, we’ve all had bad days and mental lapses. Watch him the rest of the season, he’ll use that IU game as fuel….he’s still one of the best players in the country!

53. Stan
    7:53 am December 14, 2011 Permalink

I agree with both of you, 55 and 56. As you can see,if you insist that a player be held accountable for his actions,you are labeled as “not a true fan” and told to “find another team”. I went to Uk, am a season ticket holder and help support the program. I bleed blue so I’m not going away. I agree, this issue has been debated enough, we all have our opinions on TJ quitting Saturday. I hope he learned from it and grows from it, his talent, when he is into the game, is a difference maker, nut I think he put HIMSELF under the microscope as far as effort goes, for the rest of the year. I think as fans we have the RIGHT to expect 100% effort from whoever is in the lineup and should accept no less. Winning every game isn’t important, giving all you have is. Most people hate Pitino on here, but one of the most enjoyable seasons to watch was his first year here. The players left everything they had on the court. I think that is the standered we have a right to expect, and for the most part the players do that. It is a honor of a lifetime to play for UK, treat it like that. Just my opinion…

54. kyhank
    7:56 am December 14, 2011 Permalink

let the quiters have they day,if my bros forgive me we can have a great season

55. OverweightUKfan