Speaking of ACLs, Rondo has successful surgery

It’s been an all-ACL-day here at KSR, and I couldn’t be more torn up about it. As everyone has been echoing, I am more worried about Nerlens Noel’s future than about this UK team at the moment. Luckily, recovering from an ACL tear is not unheard of and thus the future is still very bright for Nerlens and his MAJOR comeback. Another former Cat has been battling the same injury recently, and we’ve got an update on him.

According to Danny Ainge of the Celtics, Rajon Rondo successfully underwent knee surgery yesterday. Rondo tore his ACL in mid-January in a failed attempt to win a Double OT game. His official diagnosis came January 27, which happens to be 10 days after the NBA’s injury deadline that would have allowed Boston to bring on another player at 50% of Rondo’s salary without it counting towards the soft salary cap.

Rondo has, according to the Boston Globe blog linked above, been obsessed with how Adrian Peterson recovered so incredibly fast from his ACL tear. Rondo went to the same doctor as AP for his surgery; Dr. James Andrews. Check out Danny Ainge’s positive comments on Rondo’s imminent comeback:

“Dr. Andrews thought the surgery went great, clean, no complications, no other damage.”

“And you know Rondo: He’s going to want to come back faster than anybody who’s ever returned.”

Rondo will hope to beat the typical 9-12 month recovery period for ACL tears. Looks like we’ve got the medical plan for Nerlens ready to go: Call Dr. James Andrews for surgery, and then let Nerlens mirror his recovery after AP and Rondo. I’ll be hoping for a speedy recovery for all.

Article written by Chris Thomas

17 Comments for Speaking of ACLs, Rondo has successful surgery

1. Here we go now
    6:09 pm February 13, 2013 Permalink

I will not elaborate but Nerlens would do well to go the same route and have Dr Andrews do his surgery also.

2. Jus Sayin
    6:09 pm February 13, 2013 Permalink

They should rehab together.

3. James K
    6:11 pm February 13, 2013 Permalink

It’s interesting that in some cases the knee can end up stronger after surgery. I had an autograft procedure where they took a piece of my patellar tendon, and I wonder sometimes if it isn’t stronger than it was before, because tendons are stronger than ligaments.

4. Ridge Runner
    6:13 pm February 13, 2013 Permalink

Nate Willis will NOT be attending UK. He didn’t make the grades……for the SEC? Come on Man

5. Thrashitup
    6:18 pm February 13, 2013 Permalink

“Torn up about it”

Waaaaaa… Was that a pun?

6. Claw
    6:20 pm February 13, 2013 Permalink

This year sucks. The Cats and Nerlen. My wife left me. I have become an alcoholic and just want it all to end. Keep hoping for a breakthrough and pray. Am so embarrassed.

7. Claw
    6:27 pm February 13, 2013 Permalink

Just kidding. It’s not that bad. I never liked her anyway. Yankee biotch.

8. Linda Taylor
    6:33 pm February 13, 2013 Permalink

We have our Gameday tickets.

9. West Coast Cat
    6:35 pm February 13, 2013 Permalink

Dude- Dr. Johnson and Dr. Mair at UK are 2 of the top surgeons in the country. Why go to Andrews, when a world class surgeon is right there in Lexington

10. Good luck Nerlens
    6:37 pm February 13, 2013 Permalink

ACL surgery is becoming a common thing now! No doubt Nerlens will be back. Just a few years ago it was a calander year injury now it’s 8 months at worst and as low as 6.
    I was thinking the Samething as #1. I don’t know all the factors involved with UK hospital and insurance but if it was my future I think Dr. Andrews would be the man doing the surgery. Seems like he has this process down pat for athletes. The stresses a athlete and a normal person put on there bodies are completely different I don’t know if UK has the history with this type of surgery.
    I would get a hold of ARods hook up. HGH is prescribe during these surguries to the average person so Nerlens should be allowed to take it as well.

11. Bringith
    6:48 pm February 13, 2013 Permalink

It’s so funny to me to hear people say that “Dr. Andrews” should do the surgery. Yes, I’m sure he is a great orthopaedic surgeon but he is not the only great surgeon that repairs sports injuries such as ACL’s. UK sports meds Darren Johnson is great too. Just because he doesn’t walk on the field to check on RGIII like Andrews does, doesn’t mean he can’t get Nerlens back to form as quick.

12. Marvb
    8:01 pm February 13, 2013 Permalink

I’d deffinately go to Adrian and Rondos doctor. It’s strange though how Celtics are on a winning streak Claw I wasn’t that worried about you because I’ve been that way a long time and like it!! And RidgeRunner, no shit, sounds and smells like bs to me.

13. Damn ACL
    8:45 pm February 13, 2013 Permalink

I had my ACL surgery this morning. That’s why Dr Andrews couldn’t do mine. Ha ha!!

14. schwing
    9:16 pm February 13, 2013 Permalink

eff rajon rondo.

15. CursedCombo
    11:47 pm February 13, 2013 Permalink

’tis an ill-fated year (’13 — unlucky?) for ACL injuries for certain hoopsters having ties to both Commonwealths of Kentucky and Massachusetts????

16. West Coast Cat
    12:18 am February 14, 2013 Permalink

Darren Johnson did Derrick Locke’s multilig knee… guy should barely be walking, and finished up pretty damn strong at UK. Andrews gets all those guys because of his Marketing. The ACL surgery that is done today owes much to Freddie Fu in Pittsburgh and Dr. Johnson. I’ve seen what Dr. Johnson can do first hand, and if it was my knee I’d be all in. Plus you are rehabbing with guys that know the drill. Everyone runs to Andrews, much like the used to run to Kerlan-Jobe… marketing and being trendy gets a big draw. They are good surgeons but none are that far superior to the others.

17. SamFroCheerz
    1:06 pm February 14, 2013 Permalink

good point #15, & don’t 4get SamMalone….
    & Cal proved how truly disingenuous he really is, as the other eve shortly after NN went down,
    Cal stated something about being “sick” (over the injury), & that he w00d be just as upset had the injury occurred to a mere walk-on
    well, walk-on Sam Malone did sustain a recent serious injury, yet the reaction by Cal was quite different — indeed, non-Xistent!!!

there was absolutely no furor or fuss whatsoever

hence, Cal’s recent trip to Wash., DC, & chumming around w/scumbags like reTHUGlican Boehner has had an adverse effect on Cal, as Cal now, too, seems that he can tell out”RIGHT” lies, and get away w/it, when there is historical evidence contrary to what he states publicly….

sadly, Cal speaX w/forked-tongue!!!