South Carolina is so salty

Message boards have a tendency to bring out the worst in people. It’s a breeding ground for trolls and one of the best locations for a hive mind. If you’re into that. Fans pretend they have inside sources and throw around opinions which often contradict each other. It’s a nice community in theory, but often times the practice is just messy.

So when I set out to explore the depths of a South Carolina message board for kicks and giggles, I did not expect to find Nobel Prize winning writing. I was looking for a good laugh, and some serious sour grapes. What I found did not disappoint. There were 16 threads on the first page of one free forum that detailed Drew Barker, the USC quarterback situation, or Kentucky in general.

Allow me to share my findings, beginning with a bang.

bigrus126: “He will be a Gamecock.”

Short and sweet.

WSPCock11: “It’s almost a given he will commit to Carolina here in the next few mins…”

These comments obviously came before the announcement, but you can see confidence was not lacking in some of the South Carolina faithful.

Poultry King: “Why would Barker want to waste his years in school merely being the starter/star of a team that is (maybe) Papa John’s Bowl bound?”

Great point. I suppose the same argument can apply to Damien Leonard, the four-star shooting guard from Greenville, South Carolina who chose to play basketball for the Gamecocks in 2011.

TN–Gamecock: “Rumor here in Tennessee is that he is leaning to the Vols…I don’t know, I keep hearing it’s down to UK and us, then on the sports radio show out of Knoxville states Barker is UT’s to lose…hum…”

Wait, what?

Birdiecock: “Congrats to KY fans.  You still have a pitiful program and your coach has a real uphill battle to get even with FL, UGA and us. Heck you have a climb to get even with Vandy-Vandy!  All four of these programs will pound you the next few years.  So I could care less if you got a local kid away from us.”

U MAD.

sclawman77: “Not to mention the kids graduating now are too young to remember seeing Tim Couch play or know who he is-even around Lexington-considering he’s twice their age”

Interesting thoughts, because Barker had this to say about Couch who encouraged him to be a Wildcat and break his school records: “That’s pretty cool,” [Barker] said. “Tim Couch is a legend, probably one of, if not the best player to come out of Kentucky, and he went to UK and was the No. 1 draft pick. That’s awesome that a quarterback like him would say that about me or talk about me.”

Okey-dokey then. Moving on…

gamecocking: “Too bad for the kid… Settling for less than the best rarely pays off long term….”

According to Emory University, Kentucky is the best place to play football if you want to be drafted… That’s right, the Wildcats football program have converted more prospects to picks compared to the number of four- and five-star players than any other school in the country. It seems “settling” for Kentucky is a pretty solid career move and won’t cost him anything less than it would at USC.

trae172001: “If he chooses Kentucky he will be losing a possibility at making a lot of money in the NFL one day. I hope the pressure there to commit to the in state school doesn’t end up costing this young man.”

Stephen Garcia.

Chris Smelley.

Stubbytwo: “Afraid of competition.”

Kentucky will feature Maxwell Smith (three-star), Patrick Towles (four-star), Jalen Whitlow (three-star), Reese Phillips (three-star) and Drew Barker (four-star) in a five-way quarterback competition with nothing but three- and four-star players. South Carolina competition will be Connor Shaw (three-star), Dylan Thompson (two-star), Brendan Nosovitch (three-star), and Connor Mitch (four-star).

Roostersrule: “Spurrier will more than likely retire by the time Barker is ready to play. I am certain Spurrier has not promised Barker he will be here.”

Hitting the recruiting trail by telling future players you won’t be coaching in a couple of years. That’s a bold strategy, Cotton. Let’s see if it pays off for them

usctim: “He would have redshirted at USC. I’m sure Stoops promised him the starting job if he came to UK”

The current plan is for Barker to red shirt at Kentucky.

Gamecawks: “Am I the only one that’s glad we didn’t pick him up?”

Ah yes, the old backtrack maneuver. Glad that your team didn’t get a player the coaching staff pursued with full-force and clearly desired to have suit up in a uniform. So glad.

That’s a lot of hurt butt over in Gamecock land.

Go Cats.

Article written by Stuart Hammer

B.S. Broadcast Journalism from the University of Kentucky. @StuartHammerKSR

37 Comments for South Carolina is so salty

1. Sam
    5:38 pm May 11, 2013 Permalink

Love it!!!

2. tanks fer nuttin
    5:38 pm May 11, 2013 Permalink

You gotta love it!

3. LOL
    5:39 pm May 11, 2013 Permalink

What a joke, are fans really that ignorant? I bet those are the people that constantly do nothing but troll and become attention whores, sorry for the language but it is true…..

4. Spurious
    5:40 pm May 11, 2013 Permalink

I know young people tend to think life on planet earth began on the day they were born. I get why most think the last three years means a football team has become a long term dynasty, or not. But, when did South Carolina reach the level of Florida and Georgia? Have I been comatose for a few years?

5. G.A. Mangus
    5:43 pm May 11, 2013 Permalink

Note to self: Keep your mouth shut next coaches meeting. Maybe I can get out with my job since Barker was the only QB we have offered so far.

6. Bluerthanu
    5:43 pm May 11, 2013 Permalink

All those comments sound exactly like this board lol, let’s not go acting like we are any better than they are when we miss out on a recruit.

7. Pro Playa
    5:49 pm May 11, 2013 Permalink

If you want to play in the NFL, come to Kentucky? LOL. Tell me, how many Kentucky players played on an NFL team last season and where does that rank among other schools? The level of pure homerism and BS on this site is astounding!

8. frickenbocker
    5:52 pm May 11, 2013 Permalink

6. my thoughts exactly! reminds me a lot of KSR.

9. That's the Point
    5:59 pm May 11, 2013 Permalink

UK is not Better.

10. Bulldawg
    6:00 pm May 11, 2013 Permalink

I never really understood why ANY QB would want to play for Spurrier. It is no secret that he will pull the rug right out from under you if you make a mistake. He is not a great QB coach. I really can’t remeber ANY of his QB’s making an impact in the NFL… and niether did Spurrier while in with the Redskins… South Carolina is far from a superior football team. I think a lot of their fans think because Spurrier is their coach that they have a claim to Florida’s tradition. USC has had a couple of decent years and even in their best SEC east champion season they got beat by UK and Joker Phillips, so let’s not act like SC is some powerhouse football program. They are starting to build tradition but it is far from built. GO CATS!!!!!

11. Stats
    6:00 pm May 11, 2013 Permalink

Players in the NFL right now. (Includes latest draft).
    UK = 20
    South Carolina = 32
    Tennessee = 35
    Alabama = 42

Yeah. Your story is BS.

12. That's the Point
    6:01 pm May 11, 2013 Permalink

Add this to 9: than the teams Stoops is Out recruiting

13. jpgott2
    6:10 pm May 11, 2013 Permalink

11., I guess you did not read that article attached to the Pro player by average stars analysis?

This site does have a its super homers, yet I have never seen UK fans get pissed when they have lost out on a recruit from the teams HOME state. I love how USCjr has tons of history now since Spurrier has been there. Before him, USCjr was a nothing in football. I also like the Vandy props. Vandy has much worse football history than UK. I like how 2 years under Franklin changes all of that. Hmmm?

14. NorthernKYcatfan
    6:33 pm May 11, 2013 Permalink

USCjr fans are the worst fans in the SEC. Florida is a close second. Both have hated UK for a along time. USCjr=Bama’s entitlement, Vandy’s trophy case.

15. NorthernKYcatfan
    6:33 pm May 11, 2013 Permalink

A long, not along

16. harry
    6:42 pm May 11, 2013 Permalink

hate buffet, all day long

17. M
    6:52 pm May 11, 2013 Permalink

Agree with #6. You go to any site or message board out there, and there are UK fans that sound this ignorant too. Just the nature of the beast. Every fan base has idiots.

18. NOTso FASTmyFRIENDS
    7:04 pm May 11, 2013 Permalink

Rivals (9th) and 247 Sports (10th) both prefer Louisville, while Scout only places the U of L class at No. 25, seven spots behind UK.

19. NOTso FASTmyFRIENDS
    7:04 pm May 11, 2013 Permalink

But give credit to coach Mark Stoops and UK offensive coordinator Neal Brown. With six commitments, UK’s 2014 class ranks No. 18 by Rivals, No. 18 by Scout and 23rd by 247 Sports

20. bigbluetrue
    7:10 pm May 11, 2013 Permalink

#14- winner, winner, chicken dinner! SCjr has by far worst fans in the SEC. I have said that for a long time. They have this grandiose opinion of themselves being SEC royalty when in fact they are pure trailer trash. They are the only SEC team I root against during bowl season– well maybe Tennessee too. Lol.

21. Otis
    8:25 pm May 11, 2013 Permalink

Towels will transfer to NKU where he should have trouble being a backup

22. stoops-ed
    8:48 pm May 11, 2013 Permalink

18. UL has 13 commits. UK only has 6. Once those who are expected to commit to UK do, (like 3-4 recruits here in the next few eeks), UK will surpass UL in all networks (Rivals, Scout and 247) but with less recruits.

Check the average star rating…..that’s the kep measurement regardless of the number of recruits/commits.

23. TheOtherUSC
    9:08 pm May 11, 2013 Permalink

Pretty much expected from the SEC’s worst fanbase. They actually tink they are a top-tier SEC program.

24. Hey 11...
    9:12 pm May 11, 2013 Permalink

read the article dumba$$

25. Josh
    9:19 pm May 11, 2013 Permalink

Out of all the teams we play this yr Bama is the only one Im sure will beat us, after seeing what Stoops can bring in and his defense’s at FSU and Brown’s offensive strategies I think SC, FL, UGA better watch out don’t under estimate UK.

26. Otis
    9:39 pm May 11, 2013 Permalink

Only sure win is Alabama State

Stoops could go 1-11, but it will all be blamed on Joker

Seems to be working do Obama

27. Johnny
    9:46 pm May 11, 2013 Permalink

“Fans pretend to have an inside source”. Kind of like KSR. This site used to be good but these guys are just Homer Clowns. Coming here is a waste of time anymore.

28. Truth
    10:04 pm May 11, 2013 Permalink

Stoops just bitch-slapped the garnet off of USC fans. If you troll and cut on UK football, you’re likely a trolling phag.

29. Megan
    11:40 pm May 11, 2013 Permalink

Expect the same when Wiggins announces. Fans have rationalized why their school is the best destination, and if he doesn’t go there, they’ll have exactly the same reactions.

Happens every time a school looses a prized recruit. Saw it on the Maryland boards with the Harrisons, saw it on the Georgetown boards with Nerlens, saw it on the UK boards with Shabazz (coach didn’t want him anyway, not a team player, yadda yadda yadda). The consistency is phenomenal.

30. Unboltedharp
    11:50 pm May 11, 2013 Permalink

What has scu ever done. All I hear are crimckets…. Spurrier is nothing anymore, other than being overrated. He teaches players to intendionally hurt opposing teams players to win. Being a scumbag is worse than anything joker ever did!

31. Chicago Chris
    12:10 am May 12, 2013 Permalink

If the Wigg goes to FSU, we’ll all be saying the same stuff about his choice.

32. fan fan
    12:38 am May 12, 2013 Permalink

UK is one of the best football teams in the SEC….if the defense plays good ball we will win at least 8 games

33. kadizkat
    7:26 am May 12, 2013 Permalink

#27, then why are you here?

34. Jeff
    9:01 am May 12, 2013 Permalink

I hate Spurrier so its a great day in the Commonwealth when USC is upset!

35. James K
    10:53 am May 12, 2013 Permalink

Let’s be fair, guys. This post is totally unfair and hypocritical to come from ANY fanbase. Every fanbase does this when they lose a kid.

I think we would’ve bashed Archie if he had picked Arkansas, and so on.

36. Pepper Brooks
    5:32 pm May 12, 2013 Permalink

“that’s a bold strategy Cotton, let’s see if pays off for the.” Well played.

37. Shelbyjoe
    8:58 pm May 12, 2013 Permalink

I predict sc will stink within 3 yrs of spurriers retirement… Which isnt far off byw