SOURCE: UK Athletic Director Mitch Barnhart Close to Long Term Extension

tttt

Two sources close to the situation tell Kentucky Sports Radio that Mitch Barnhart is close to a long term deal with UK to extend his contract and remain Athletic Director into the future. The exact length of the extension is not clear but two sources tell Kentucky Sports Radio that it is “nearly done” and will likely be announced by the end of this week.

We will have more on this later in the day.

Article written by Matt Jones

51 Comments for SOURCE: UK Athletic Director Mitch Barnhart Close to Long Term Extension

1. Nice...
    3:49 pm February 6, 2011 Permalink

We should just give him a Memorandum of Understanding…

2. curious
    3:55 pm February 6, 2011 Permalink

Is there anybody who was thinking, “Boy, we really need to lock up Barnhart and give him a long term deal”? #whocares

3. WinOne
    3:56 pm February 6, 2011 Permalink

How many final fours have we been to under Barnhart?

4. WinOne
    3:58 pm February 6, 2011 Permalink

How many final fours have we been to under Barnhart? He better start producing or no extension shoud be granted. I could give a s**t about badmitton, soccer, polo, baseball, or the rifle team. This is KENTUCKY dammit!!!!!

5. so this is important why?
    4:01 pm February 6, 2011 Permalink

“curious” is a definitely twitter kind of poser I mean poster.

6. catfandan
    4:06 pm February 6, 2011 Permalink

bitch marnhart is a nasty typo

7. so this is important why?
    4:14 pm February 6, 2011 Permalink

Matt, do ya have sundays off from that 2 tv gigs? Egypt would like to have ya run their state site on sundays.

8. Donnie
    4:17 pm February 6, 2011 Permalink

He brought in coach cal. He did a great job

9. Roll Tide
    4:20 pm February 6, 2011 Permalink

Barnyard needs an extension before Todd quits. He is a social pygmy who will not show his face in public. Ditch Mitch!

10. timer
    4:20 pm February 6, 2011 Permalink

He better get it signed before Lee Todd leaves….

11. Calipartytime
    4:21 pm February 6, 2011 Permalink

3 Exactly… just last night I was thinking “Man,it’s Barnhardt’s fault we have lost these 2 point games on the road…”

12. GhostofBearBryant
    4:23 pm February 6, 2011 Permalink

Great, a chance to extend not spending enough (nor raising enough revenue) for football well into the future.

13. Bg Wildcat
    4:34 pm February 6, 2011 Permalink

Todd Is Giving His Boy A Present B4 He Leaves. A New Prez Would Have 2 Pay Out A Big Buy Out 2 Replace Mitch.

14. robman181
    4:36 pm February 6, 2011 Permalink

Great, we’re locking up the worst AD in the country for a long time. Well done. Maybe when Todd gets done banging Barnhardt in the ass they can find enough time to do something sbout the facilities.

15. curious
    4:37 pm February 6, 2011 Permalink

5. Oh I get it. Poser looks like poster. I see what you did there. Very clever indeed.

16. TrueBlueFan4Ever
    4:41 pm February 6, 2011 Permalink

Good for Mitch and I like Mitch and think he has done a good job, but when are we going to hear something about Commonwealth Stadium upgrades? I know the city is mostly working on the Rupp Arena issue, but who is working on the football stadium issues? Come on Mitch, please tell us what’s going on and what the plans are?? Football ‘Cat fans deserve to know what’s going on. Go Big Blue!!

17. Bringith
    4:42 pm February 6, 2011 Permalink

What a bunch of Mitch haters! Give the dude a break. He’s done a lot for the university except make the game winning shots in the last two games.
    9) Show his face in public??? What an idiot! I’m sure if you saw him out, you would be the first to walk up to him and speak your mind. You’d probably throw up on yourself fumbling over your words. What a joke…

18. Kentucky14
    4:44 pm February 6, 2011 Permalink

I love how people criticize Mitch and say he has done a bad job. He brought in Brooks and took crap for it and now we all love him. He brought in Gillespie and after that failed he realized his mistake and put the big money down on Cal. and #4…maybe you should call him up and tell him to stop worrying about fulfilling his job description and just do what you think he should do.

19. old_school
    4:44 pm February 6, 2011 Permalink

If Barnhart and Calipari really are at odds at times – what does this say about UK’s long-term commitment to Calipari.

Might the university be having some second-thoughts about their rush hire in the spring of 2009 to bring in Cal with all his baggage? Might they be getting more and more concern from the fanbase about Cal’s recruiting ‘strategy’ of one-and-done freshmen?

If we had to choose between Barnhart and Calipari- I think UK made the wise choice.

Barnhart’s a good AD, a classy guy. However, the last two basketball hires are on him – the first one – Billy G. ended horribly – the current one has all the ingredients to end embarassingly.

Hopefully – third time will be the charm.

20. Kentucky14
    4:46 pm February 6, 2011 Permalink

20…I like Mitch, but you might have just made the dumbest post in KSR history. I don’t know one fan who thinks Cal needs to leave. It has all the ingredients to end badly? And what are those? Are you one of the guys sitting in the lower level who wants the music turned down?

21. Kentucky14
    4:47 pm February 6, 2011 Permalink

Post #20 is addressed to #19…they must have deleted a post

22. T
    4:54 pm February 6, 2011 Permalink

It’s amazing that a guy who has never lost at Rupp, lost 9 games in two years, and beat UofL both times is being questioned as a bad hire. UK fans can be some of the best and worst fans in the country

23. TeamWeaver
    4:56 pm February 6, 2011 Permalink

Pardon me – this is the same guy who was trying to jump to Kansas just a few months ago, right? They were not impressed and we should be why?

24. Red Rooster
    4:57 pm February 6, 2011 Permalink

21. There are plenty of fans who want Cal gone. Plenty. I’m not one of them but i am on the record as not having him in my top 3 when he was hired.

25. Red Rooster
    4:58 pm February 6, 2011 Permalink

19. It’s Cals long term commitment to UK that is a problem. Either than or the first major violation.

26. bung
    5:04 pm February 6, 2011 Permalink

Could we just extend mitches contract to like 9 oclock and get a Ky person?

27. Big Blue 66
    5:05 pm February 6, 2011 Permalink

Totally off subject, but i havent been able to post since the game last night and I looked back on everyone blaming Cal and the time out or no timeout, let me tell you our problem, Jorts sucks. He blows defensive assignments constently and others have to rotate to help and then we get burned. When Florida went on their run it happened over and over and on top of that, he cant block out either. I know this site is in love with him, but teams understand how to play us now. At the same time, Miller isnt much better. If you ask me, Miller is the most overrated player ever at UK. I would go with a 3 guard front with lamb starting over miller all day long.

28. El_Duderino
    5:08 pm February 6, 2011 Permalink

Who should be the Head Coach of Kentucky?

I hear all the talk, but never hear a reasonable answer.

29. BukakenNursinHomes
    5:11 pm February 6, 2011 Permalink

Every time I read a comment from Old School it reminds me of the adage “there is no fool like an old fool”.
    Seriously dude why not go make your inane comments on Card Chronicle, if you dislike the direction of UK so much.

30. bung
    5:12 pm February 6, 2011 Permalink

Cats losing … football sucked…BCG BCG…Mitch vs. Cal and Mitch gets a Todd extension…..Do the Board of Regents live in KY?

31. matthew hh
    5:16 pm February 6, 2011 Permalink

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

32. barn
    5:17 pm February 6, 2011 Permalink

-27-i like jorts as a character, but, he’s not the answer inside. if you go back and look at the 2nd half when we started our comeback it was at 11:33 when we were down 12, and jorts went out and eloy came in. eloy is much more active and athletic and can contest shots more effectively without fouling. hopefully he will get more pt, and hopefully he can make a substantial difference come march. i think he has the ability but is just slow getting with cal’s program.

33. bung
    5:22 pm February 6, 2011 Permalink

28) I hope Cal stays and wins us 5 more Titles……but if I made a wish list…..Riley, Issel, Pratt, Ford, Pelphrey, Macy, Chapman, Hamilton, Padgett, Sheppard, Bennett, Delk…I am missing a bunch.

34. Dennis Smith
    5:31 pm February 6, 2011 Permalink

You have to wonder what is going on within the Administration.

35. El_Duderino
    5:32 pm February 6, 2011 Permalink

33) I hear ya, but are those reasonable??

It’s like a fast-food worker wishing for $1 million dollar home on the beach.

36. Big D
    5:45 pm February 6, 2011 Permalink

Anyone recognize the course he is playing ?

37. bung
    5:48 pm February 6, 2011 Permalink

35) 1st step is a Ky blue AD that recognizes all the names

38. TheGuyPitinoForgotToPayToGetFreshFishAtPorchinis
    5:48 pm February 6, 2011 Permalink

Four!

39. TheGuyPitinoForgotToPayToGetFreshFishAtPorchinis
    5:56 pm February 6, 2011 Permalink

If hiring Billy Gillispie as head coach of Kentucky Basketball doesn’t get you fired, then your bosses aren’t competent.

Heads roll when this type of utter lack of descretion is made anywhere else where something is of importance.

Imagine Alabama football hiring like that.

If you don’t protect what’s important then what you have isn’t important (and neither are you).

Not only should Barnhart have been tossed, but everyone in charge of keeping him should get axed as well. They aren’t qualified to be protectors of our program.

40. J cruse
    6:12 pm February 6, 2011 Permalink

Total B.S. ,!!!!

41. The Fan
    6:12 pm February 6, 2011 Permalink

I like Mitch, Both Basketball teams are ranked again, Baseball is ranked, Football could use some help. But I think Mitch really tries to bring the best to UK. And I think he will get that new arena built also. Good Job Mitch!

42. J cruse
    6:14 pm February 6, 2011 Permalink

We could do Sooooo much better!

43. Old_Pogue_Bourbon
    7:04 pm February 6, 2011 Permalink

39 – Bill Curry – Mike Shula

44. Tom Jurich
    7:09 pm February 6, 2011 Permalink

I hope it’s lifetime deal… I love having little Mitch always trying to compete with all the new facitlites and national team rankings. Director’s cup race? Louisville 21st Kentucky 98. Sign Mitch for life brotha . . . doin’ well in The Ville… come visit some time. Parden the dust, that’s our NEW soccer stadium and Doubling of the size of the new stadium… Elite programs both…. thanks!

45. Wow
    7:13 pm February 6, 2011 Permalink

I just threw up my wings and chips and salsa… What a joke our football program will never go up. Howard Schnellenberger was right “you have to have a president an ad who wants to win and make a football program great, and UK has neither”

46. BettyD
    7:32 pm February 6, 2011 Permalink

WHY?!?!??!?!?!

47. Pitino
    8:05 pm February 6, 2011 Permalink

I did it as coach, I can do it as AD too!

48. bluetexan
    8:19 pm February 6, 2011 Permalink

#23- Great post. Barnfart should never been hired let alone get a ‘long-term extension’…Clueless is giving him a nice retirement package…just reinforces my decision to FINALLY cease supporting UK Athletics.

49. sunnycat
    10:55 pm February 6, 2011 Permalink

Mitch is doing fine. Eventually Commonwealth will get the upgrades it needs. As far as a new arena I hope not. Rupp is a great facility thats hold 24000, they just need to put the student section three rows deep around the court or the erruption zone on both ends. Oh yeah who do you think would pay for a new arena? Taxpayers and ticket prices and neither sounds good to me.

50. sunnycat
    10:56 pm February 6, 2011 Permalink

47 Do you mean what I think you mean by “it”

51. TheLossDoesn'tCount
    11:07 am February 7, 2011 Permalink

The thought of Barney long term is very depressing.