Sonny Collins named SEC Legend

Sonny Collins, quite possibly the coolest Cat ever to hit the football field, has been named an SEC Legend.

The former running back, who played at UK from 1972-75, will represent Kentucky at the SEC Championship in Atlanta at the end of the season. Collins was a two time All-American who still holds the Kentucky career record for rushing yardage and also holds school records for rushing attempts (777), rushing touchdowns (26) and 100-yard rushing games (18). A native of Madisonville, Kentucky, Collins played for the Atlanta Falcons for one season before a knee injury ended his career.

I just hope he wears those boots.

14 Comments for Sonny Collins named SEC Legend

1. CliffFrankLou
    11:51 am September 14, 2012 Permalink

Need to find some old game film of Sonny. He was an outstanding runner–very shifty.

2. Bicycle Seat Sniffer
    11:57 am September 14, 2012 Permalink

I want to learn to dress like that.

3. the ghost of Bill Hicks
    11:59 am September 14, 2012 Permalink

you know that dude got a TON of tail back in the day…..prolly got laid between classes.

4. Turner the Burner
    11:59 am September 14, 2012 Permalink

Can I buy you a fish sandwich?

5. tracy H
    12:39 pm September 14, 2012 Permalink

hey, what year did he graduate from high school? and who were his HS coaches? anyway to find that out?

6. Rick James
    12:44 pm September 14, 2012 Permalink

I want my boots back!!! Unity!!!!

7. SonnyCollinsFan
    1:36 pm September 14, 2012 Permalink

I started following UK Football in 73 (I was 9) and Sonny is the first player I remember. He was a great runner!

8. I'm just sayin
    1:58 pm September 14, 2012 Permalink

If you pick apart that picture, each part of it is completely ridiculous in hindsight – the platform boots, the polka dot suit, the monstrous collar, the afro. Put ’em all together, and Sonny just looks like one bad dude in that picture! I love it!

9. SeoulCat
    2:13 pm September 14, 2012 Permalink

Whoa…Forget about Sly. I’m feeling a little “Sonny and the Family Collins” for my 8-track right about now.

10. Briar Gates
    2:21 pm September 14, 2012 Permalink

I remember him rockin’ the full length white fur coat. Could have been a movie star. He was cool before MJ made shaving your head cool .And Oh,by the way, best running back in blue, ever.

11. Sonny Teammate
    6:34 pm September 14, 2012 Permalink

Played high school ball with Sonny. He graduated in 72. Head coach Dennis Sexton later moved to Evansville and his daughter married Don Mattingly.

12. tyrus
    6:36 pm September 14, 2012 Permalink

10# You’re spot on with your comments!

13. BCinVA
    8:16 pm September 14, 2012 Permalink

Hey,” Sonny Teammate,” I graduated from Union County in 72. I remember that when we played the Maroons, one of my classmates tackled Sonny and Sonny broke his ankle. Was that in his senior or junior year, do you recall? Sonny was one hell of a high school football player and did really well at UK. I always wondered if that ankle kept him from becoming totally unstoppable.

I also wonder if he ever attended a class while on campus. I was there from 72-76 and NEVER saw him other than on Saturday, ha ha…..

14. Ol Blue
    9:41 pm September 14, 2012 Permalink

Sonny was a great one. But Sonny was also involved (albeit indirectly) in some pretty nefarious stuff while at UK. For those of you too young to remember, take a gander: