Someone else says Nerlens won’t be Anthony Davis

You just read the quotes from Nerlens Noel saying he is going to play his own game. Now read a report from another NBA analyst who thinks Noel isn’t going to be Anthony Davis.

From ESPN’s Chad Ford:

Nerlens Noel, F/C, Kentucky Wildcats
Noel showed up at the adidas Nations camp last weekend and, by virtually every account, was a major disappointment. While longtime high school gurus knew that Noel was incredibly raw, NBA scouts got a pretty big taste of just how raw he was. Offensively, Noel struggled to do anything other than dunk the ball. Defensively he showed why he was a terrific shot-blocker, but did little else to impress.

Last year Anthony Davis showed up at the LeBron James Skills Academy and virtually every scout in attendance claimed he was the best prospect there. I couldn’t find anyone who was willing to say the same about Noel.

“He’s got the raw abilities, but he doesn’t have any of the intangibles of Anthony Davis,” one scout said. “I think he’s going to get better and [UK coach John Calipari] will help him a lot. But I told my GM to temper his expectations. We’re probably going to see a season closer to Andre Drummond’s than Anthony Davis.”

Noel began the season in late June ranked No. 1 on our Big Board. A lot of NBA scouts are now questioning whether he really belongs there. On the other hand, if Noel isn’t No. 1, then who is? No one had a clear favorite to replace him.

Okay, we get it.

Nerlens Noel isn’t going to be Anthony Davis. Davis is arguably the most decorated and dominant college basketball player ever. Kentucky fans would be crazy to expect a similar year from Nerlens Noel.

Kentucky fans are expecting exactly what Nerlens Noel is going to do: Play his own game.

And his own game is going to be pretty damn good.

Article written by Drew Franklin

21 Comments for Someone else says Nerlens won’t be Anthony Davis

1. pat
    4:26 pm August 8, 2012 Permalink

let ’em hate!

2. lets do it again
    4:28 pm August 8, 2012 Permalink

I realize that the media, sports announcers, critics and all that makes the sports world go round, but it still burns my hide how young talent is put so far under the microscope that you can see the roots of their nose hairs. By the time they finally get on the floor, the pressure to be all they can be and more is simply overwhelming. Just sayin!

3. lonnieb
    4:31 pm August 8, 2012 Permalink

I agree……..
    If I remember watching AD at the beginning of the season and I hate to use the word “offensively challenged” but AD was lob city and looked uncomfortable every where else on the floor. A few jump shots later he was buckets from about 15 feet with a couple nice post moves. I also feel that offensively we got weapons for days…..especially when KW is on the floor. 1-4 capable of 20 every night with Harrow, goody, poy, and KW. If he plays D like AD we are good, and it sounds like they were happy with his D. I think as a fan base we may need to be a little more patient this year…….as we may have some tough L’s early. but I expect them to be rolling late. I want the UCF transfer as well.

4. Mr. Wrestling II
    4:36 pm August 8, 2012 Permalink

Really, is it the worst thing in the world in Nerlens ends up “not as far along” as AD entering school or after the first year. Personally, I would not be opposed to see a raw talent stick around an extra year, especially with the class we are building for 2013.

5. SexnNursinHomes
    4:37 pm August 8, 2012 Permalink

Chad Ford. HA, the same Chad Ford who changed his 2012 draft 15 damn times?? That Chad Ford? Who is his boss? I’m take a shower, hittin the bong, and I’m going to apply for Chad Ford’s job. Forbes even wrote a damn article talking about how terrible Chad Ford’s predictions are. Yeah, if I was a GM of a NBA team I would really listen to Chad effin Ford. Good, let Noel fly under the radar as UK coasts to #9 while also being the #1 pick in 2013.

Here’s the link that shows how effin awful Chad Ford is at his job. It’s a head shaker he is employed.

6. So What Says
    4:37 pm August 8, 2012 Permalink

So What? Who the hell out there would have been the next AD; a once in a lifetime player? Noel will be fine once he gets ‘coached up’ at UK. Geez, he may only end up a top 5 pick after one season.

7. Real UK Fan
    4:39 pm August 8, 2012 Permalink

I watched the UK/Lamar game yesterday which was certainly an early season game against a less than stellar opponent. Although Davis played well defensively, his offensive game at that point was mostly dunk the ball on a lob. He made great improvement as the season went along. Will Noel do the same? We don’t know at this point, but we Kentucky fans have confidence that Coach Calipari will him playing his best by the end of the season when it counts and that is all anyone has a right to expect.

8. Joseph Diesel
    4:40 pm August 8, 2012 Permalink

So……he dunked the ball often and blocked a bunch of shots. How is that bad?

9. bluebloodtoo
    4:50 pm August 8, 2012 Permalink

maybe Cal has a chance to improve his perception for “player development”…

10. UKBlue
    4:50 pm August 8, 2012 Permalink

Let Coach Payne do his thing, and Noel will be all good.

11. asdf
    4:51 pm August 8, 2012 Permalink

Noel won’t be drafted based on what he is today. He’ll be drafted on what he is at the end of the season.

12. CrashTheLoader
    5:12 pm August 8, 2012 Permalink

So if NN finishes the season with a well rounded offensive game to go with his more probable defensive domination, are “they” still going to claim Cal can’t coach? Probably…, because too many of “them” fall into either the group pursuing an agenda against Cal, or those that are too lazy to write their own stories.

13. SeaCat
    5:13 pm August 8, 2012 Permalink

Cal will turn Noel into a star, don’t worry.
    And with Poythress and WCS double teams
    will not be an option.

14. barn
    5:21 pm August 8, 2012 Permalink

anthony davis Ain’t walkin’ thru that door, but nerlens is

15. justafan
    5:28 pm August 8, 2012 Permalink

Noel will be solid for the Cats but I agree that we should expect a season similar to Drummond…up and down. Some games he will look like a stud and others we will see why some of the critics are saying what they are. I wouldn’t expect much out of him offensively. Almost all of his points will come from others setting him up.

16. bigblueyoda
    5:28 pm August 8, 2012 Permalink

Keep stoking that fire fools!!!

17. Biglaw Dawgin'
    5:34 pm August 8, 2012 Permalink

So be it if he’s “too raw” according to NBA GM’s. I won’t argue with an extra year at UK for Noel to polish up….

18. Blue4ever
    6:06 pm August 8, 2012 Permalink

So what’s the down side? He stays two years rather than one? I look at that as the glass half full. Can’t see why everyone’s in a tizzy? And maybe the kid had other things on his mind like studying and becoming eligible? If I remember correct Anthony wasn’t exactly burning it up at the beginning.

19. CAUKFAN
    10:33 pm August 8, 2012 Permalink

I hope he doesn’t let dumb @$^$% like Ford get into his head.

20. dablueman
    7:54 am August 9, 2012 Permalink

Page views, Page views, Page views. Boss” hey Chad your page views are way down since the draft better get them up” ” dont worry boss Pete Thamel has shown us all the way! Negative UK article about Noel will be up before the end of the day.

21. Reply
    9:45 am August 9, 2012 Permalink

We all need to temper our expectations. Last year, we had Lamb and Jones returning, combined with 3 other top-10 recruits. We simply don’t have that this year. Don’t tell me Wiltjer or Harrow are as good as Lamb or Jones. Noel is extremely raw offensively and is already behind the 8ball with training and conditioning. I’ll be incredibly pleased with a final four season. But please, let’s back off the #9 talk right now.