Some Thoughts from the Other Half

From Kristen Geil…

BBN:In the mood for some intellectual reading with your Wheaties this morning? A friend sent this to me somewhat out of the blue last week, pitching a post about how basketball has shaped culture across the state of Kentucky. Since he’s a Louisvillian-turned-Lexingtonian, I was intrigued about what he meant by this fairly broad statement. While his criticisms are harsh, I think he makes some interesting points that are worth contemplating. The writing below is a thought-provoking essay about whether sports simply reflect our culture and mindset as citizens, or if they influence it. He’s one of the most talented writers I know, and if nothing else, you’ll get a good laugh from his searing condemnation of Indiana. Note: the opinions expressed in this essay are his and his alone.

The Times and Trials of a Conflicted UofL Fan: A Neighboring Perspective on the Culture of Basketball

I grew up in Louisville. Not born there, but raised from a very young age, have lived there ever since I can remember. I feel very passionately about my city and its unique, diverse inhabitants. It’s quite a strange and slightly paradoxical city, however, as I will soon explain.

I was indoctrinated into Kentucky’s culture of basketball as soon as I could walk, and as soon as I could talk, I was forced to make that critical decision that would define my identity as a Kentuckian for the rest of my life: Red or Blue. The pressure was immense; you were either one or the other, it was them or us, good or evil, through sickness and in health, until death do us part. To choose both, or neither, would necessarily result in a metaphorically eternal revocation of personal and social recognition- an inevitable “out-castration” of personhood (notice how many friends a Duke, North Carolina, or UConn fan has in this great state…). And so, I sought out to find my niche within the country’s greatest college basketball tradition: Kentucky- the shining buckle of all sports belts, the bottomless breadbasket of all bottomless baskets hung up on a 10 foot post. Basketball, where would this great state be without it.

Growing up in a hard-nosed, blue collared, working middle-class, urban Louisville neighborhood left me with little choice: I was to be a Cardinal fan through and through, and I embraced it whole-heartedly. I was spoonfed Crum’s of Cardinal history, as old-timers looked back nostalgically on the elite ‘80’s. During my childhood, the height of Cardinaldom was embodied in the local hero, DeJuan Wheat (still one of my all time favorite players), product of Louisville’s own Ballard High School, and whose personalized banner would later adorn the low, dimly lit rafters of Jim Reuther Gymnasium, alongside the likes of Allen Houston and Jeff Lamp. Ballard is where I too would ultimately attend high school, furiously cheering on a Bruins team led by current UK player, Antiquawn Beckham.

I would go on to attend college in Lexington, where I was soon to experience, firsthand, the true scope and nature of Kentucky’s unrivaled basketball culture. To be quite honest, Louisville and Lexington are entirely different worlds, and to a native Louisvillian, it was somewhat of a culture shock to say the least. The transition during my first two years was made somewhat easier due to Billy G’s belligerent and discursive reign over Big Blue Nation. During this time, I reserved a soft spot in my heart for a (to put it as nicely as possible) struggling Wildcat team. One of my roommates was a diehard, and we were made to suffer through the weekly tortures of every televised game (much as UL fans are enduring now). I couldn’t help feel sympathetic for him and every fan like him, and so long as they weren’t playing the Cards, I could find a way to justify cheering for the team I had been bred to passionately disdain as a way of life.

And then my world was turned upside down: Enter John Calipari.

Read more by clicking on to page two…

Pages: 1 2

Article written by KSRCollege.com

101 Comments for Some Thoughts from the Other Half

1. Brett
    7:39 pm February 2, 2012 Permalink

Hmmmmmmmmm

2. Hambone1480
    7:40 pm February 2, 2012 Permalink

Jesus man, lay off the commas. Reading this wore me out.

3. John
    7:45 pm February 2, 2012 Permalink

Go write over at Cards Chronicle or whatever their favorite blog is called. This entry was two pages of worthless gibberish. Good for you. Louisville fan who respects Kentucky. If you are going to root against the Wildcats once a year when they play Louisville I’d just assume you root against us Oma daily basis. Pick a side.

4. Never get it back
    7:47 pm February 2, 2012 Permalink

WOW I just realizied I will never get those minutes back from reading this crap.

5. Somervillain
    7:48 pm February 2, 2012 Permalink

If you think Lexington is go-getter, you should get out more. Seriously.

6. Somervillain
    7:49 pm February 2, 2012 Permalink

And I don’t mean to be mean. I just think you should go see New York or Boston. Those places would change you deeply.

7. NC Cat
    7:50 pm February 2, 2012 Permalink

It must be tough to have cognitive dissonance…..but thanks for the insight into the psyche of the Ville…..we all suspected the city thought it was outside the soul of KY and you’ve proven that. Maybe it would be good to just relocate to Illinois or Indiana, basketball aside.

8. echo 1
    7:51 pm February 2, 2012 Permalink

You were doing fine until you said, “don’t mistake me, I am still a UofL fan and always will be”. WTF?

9. Blue
    7:52 pm February 2, 2012 Permalink

Apparently people don’t recognize a well-written piece when they see it, regardless of the topic. I thoroughly enjoyed this entry, despite it’s length. I think you hit the nail on the head as far as Kentucky fans are concerned…We’d never put up with the crap UofL fans do on an annual basis, even if it is Rick Pitino. Well done.

10. bsquaredcat
    7:52 pm February 2, 2012 Permalink

Great job! Love you writing style. You sound way too intelligent to be a Louisville fan, though. Come be a winner with the Mother F***ing Big Blue Nation! You know you want to.

11. bsquaredcat
    7:53 pm February 2, 2012 Permalink

Great job! Love your writing style. You sound way too intelligent to be a Louisville fan, though. Come be a winner with the Mother F***ing Big Blue Nation! You know you want to.

12. MFingBBN
    7:53 pm February 2, 2012 Permalink

Well written. One of the best blogs I’ve read in a while. Great job, keep it up.

13. Bob
    7:54 pm February 2, 2012 Permalink

So you had little choice to be a Cardinal fan? Just because you grew up in a hard-working, blue-collar, middle-class, and urban area of Louisville? Are you kidding me? I’m from the Okolona area in Louisville and there is a large percentage of UK fans here. You can’t get no more of a hard-working and blue collar area than this either.

14. MyHeadHurts
    7:54 pm February 2, 2012 Permalink

Rather than trying to promote KSRCollege, just let it unfold. Bring the best of their stuff here after having been vetted by their readers (via comments and/or hits). Then, maybe make it a feature, “The Best This Week At KSRCollege.com”.

15. Chris
    7:55 pm February 2, 2012 Permalink

Personally I thought this was well written and I enjoyed an outside perspective. I liked it.

16. KYStout
    7:56 pm February 2, 2012 Permalink

Enjoyed your perspective. I was born in Louisville but my loyalty to UK was never in doubt.

17. bigbluedude
    7:57 pm February 2, 2012 Permalink

just horrible

18. Rick Fifteeno
    8:00 pm February 2, 2012 Permalink

Loserville sux. I wouldn’t waste my time reading any article about them.

GO BIG BLUE

19. Mother F*****g Big Blue Nation
    8:02 pm February 2, 2012 Permalink

Well done. This was a great piece of work.

20. winston guy's hair
    8:05 pm February 2, 2012 Permalink

You say “Louisvillians” when what you really mean is “Louisville fans living in Louisville”. I, like #16, was born and raised in Louisville and have always been UK through and through. So has my family and so has roughly 40% of Louisville’s population.

21. he says she
    8:05 pm February 2, 2012 Permalink

My eyes are tired… and for what exactly? Let me see… Louisville fan that doesn’t like Louisville (city or team). Admires Kentucky (team… and city in which it resides).

Ok. I think I got it.

22. Doug
    8:05 pm February 2, 2012 Permalink

I never kmew anyone from Louisville had this much insight.

Come on over to the BLUE. It’s the only way.

23. Jake_GOCATS
    8:09 pm February 2, 2012 Permalink

Great piece. I like seeing an outsider’s perspective.

24. Dane Brammage
    8:10 pm February 2, 2012 Permalink

If BLUE is the color of Go-getters, then Red is the color of Ghetto-ers.

25. Cats are Gr8
    8:12 pm February 2, 2012 Permalink

I’m a UK fan first. Cal fan second, and believe me I love what Cal has done. But I’d be a fan no matter our coach.

26. Willis talkin bout...
    8:17 pm February 2, 2012 Permalink

Well written… but this novel could have been summed up with two words.. “Louisville Sucks” and we already knew that..

27. Todd
    8:20 pm February 2, 2012 Permalink

I been a Cats fan since 78 and the stuff you guys can say is just rude and embarrassing. Its a just good point of from somebody outside our fanbase. I enjoy reading these types of articles ( like the ones from the uconn and Carolina fans) So thanks KSR!

28. SuperTroy18
    8:23 pm February 2, 2012 Permalink

I liked the insight of this article. I think it was a tad pretentious and (to be pretentious, myself) grandiose what with it using as many big words as possible. It reads into the palpable psyche of each city, and you guys should see the original idea that this guy had in seeing the good in a rival city and trying to bring it out. It’s a compliment to the city of Lexington!! Sheesh. I am on the other end of the spectrum though. Born and raised in Lexington, I bleed blue through and through. Now, I live in Louisville and absolutely LOVE this city. The fact that there are Card fans here doesn’t bother me really. There aren’t that many, and I really feel as though they are only temporary anyway. 🙂 Card fans are (usually) fair-weather fans. The city though, is super cool. Not GIANT-city cool, (like NYC, Seattle, etc…) but pretty cool on its own.

29. Kirk
    8:26 pm February 2, 2012 Permalink

Well written,well said,well put, well done,.

30. Joe
    8:28 pm February 2, 2012 Permalink

Nicely written change of pace for KSR readership.

31. Big Blue 66
    8:29 pm February 2, 2012 Permalink

So basically you are a bandwagon UK fan……we get it…..now get out

32. BigBlueSkyDog
    8:29 pm February 2, 2012 Permalink

Being a Kentuckian who lives in Louisville (I always refer to myself as a “Kentuckian” first and foremost) I have to reluctantly agree with much of what the writer says about the apathy and herd mentality of people from Louisville. They are easily led and do not question authority; which is one reason why they consistently vote for big-government liberalism. It is also a union town; which explains the shoddy work ethic. It has it’s pluses, such as a great park system. However when I retire, I’ll be looking for a place to live in one of the other 119 counties in the state.

33. footballsux
    8:30 pm February 2, 2012 Permalink

Louisville doesn’t exist. Why is that so hard?

34. El cid
    8:31 pm February 2, 2012 Permalink

Good piece, however there are more French war heroes than blue collar students at Ballard. I went there and I was in a gang. We at The Boat Club did not take too kindly when those punks from LCC would invade our turf at Holiday Manor.

zodiac

35. Big Blue 66
    8:31 pm February 2, 2012 Permalink

meanwhile KSR crew has destroyed any shot for Murray State to go undefeated by showing up for their game, Murray St down 11 in the first half.

36. jpgott2
    8:38 pm February 2, 2012 Permalink

Great job! As, a Cats fan from Louisville, I see where this piece comes from.

37. heylow
    8:41 pm February 2, 2012 Permalink

Well written…and I appreciate your sentiments…but You’ll never “get it” like we do…you’d honestly be better off “converting” to a UK fan and thus breaking out of the mindset you were raised in.

We may not always win, but NO ONE feels a loss as we do and NO ONE wants win more than we do…

The last paragraph REALLY puzzled me…

“However, beware to all: prepare for mass panic and utter chaos in the city of Louisville, as she begins to tread into the unknown territory of “What next?” As Ricky P. begins to unravel and expose his true self to the Cardinal Proud, this is the unfamiliar and perplexing question that Louisvillians will be confronted with, “What next?” To me, it is an exciting question and I hope its answer will break the City’s long cycles of apathetic complacency and lethargy and awaken the beast within, both for the sake of the city itself and for the game of basketball that has come to play such an influential role in the shaping of all Kentuckians’ lives.”

This is where us, as UK fans, believe that Louisville isn’t a part of Kentucky….you don’t behave as “Kentuckians”

It’s a brooding, depressing place…like Indiana…or Belgium…or some place like that…

“Beast within”?

The “beast” resides in Lexington… AND Louisville…(sorry, but it’s true) And world wide for that matter…

And the only program that has shaped the lives of Kentuckians, in any positive way has been…

THE UNIVERSITY of KENTUCKY

Learn it…

38. Jerk off UK fans
    8:49 pm February 2, 2012 Permalink

Good piece. To bad some of our more ignorant fans started out bashing this.

39. over here on Broadway
    8:52 pm February 2, 2012 Permalink

I like it, I wish he had gone more into what he was setting up at first, the part about the contrast between Louisville and her hotter, sexier, more fit sister Lexington..

40. Horrible
    8:53 pm February 2, 2012 Permalink

WTF has KSR become? Complete garbage. KSR College is a complete joke and this piece of crap did nothing more than reiterate that fact. I’m moving to a new site with better perspective, less stupidity, better analysis and a lot less Matt Jones and Drew Franklin egomania. Adios KSR, you suck. I guess this means Louisville does exist? How bogus.

41. barn
    8:54 pm February 2, 2012 Permalink

i haven’t read this much since i was in detention

42. sscott
    9:03 pm February 2, 2012 Permalink

Belgium is depressing? I think it is one of the most extraordinary places on Earth.

43. Rick Pitino
    9:07 pm February 2, 2012 Permalink

Awww….

44. BC
    9:07 pm February 2, 2012 Permalink

#40…with comments like that I am sure myself and any other KSR reader would be happy to say adios to you. Obviously you are a Loserville fan yourself. This article was well written and it is a change of pace from many of the articles. That is what makes KSR great. It can be ridiculous, insightful, oh yeah, and FUN!!!! Get Lost!!

45. Adam
    9:12 pm February 2, 2012 Permalink

Well written, I like to see other views on this topic. Good job!! And by the way….. KSR is the best website for Kentucky related news. I check it daily. Keep up the good work KSR team!!

46. OneAndDone
    9:12 pm February 2, 2012 Permalink

Despite the DB’s comments up top, I enjoyed this post. It’s always good to hear an “outsiders” perspective…

47. Seriously
    9:13 pm February 2, 2012 Permalink

First, good well written piece.

But KSR is moving in the wrong direction… Matt, you got popular writing about UK basketball not your life..
    To the writer, keep in mind your audience.
    Post a bio of some new football recruits.. Not a autobiography of some louisville fan..

This style post belongs on a personal blogspot account or something.. Not KSR..
    Please keep the KSR college stuff on KSR college.. It sucks
    And matt.. if you wana save KSR college get some writers who bleed blue and keep the personal posts off there.
    No one cares what they think WE CARE ABOUT KENTUCKY!!
    -A college student.

48. nassau65
    9:14 pm February 2, 2012 Permalink

Nice work Kristen! dont let the azzwads get to ya. Good Read.

49. Crackerhillbilly
    9:17 pm February 2, 2012 Permalink

Uh, in case you haven’t noticed, Jerry Abramson was elected by the voters of the BBN to be one heartbeat away from governor of the BBN. Granted the Williams-Farmer ticket sucked, but good grief he’s a dirty Card fan……as well as having been a very poor mayor in his second round of terms. BTW, as a long-time resident, your assessment of Louisville is correct.

50. sharon
    9:21 pm February 2, 2012 Permalink

Very well written and insightful. As a wildcat fan, I appreciate the respect shown our program. ,ignore the stupid negative comments. No one forced them to read it. I did and am glad. And I respect that you refuse to jump ship. No true fan ever would.

51. Bulldawg
    9:23 pm February 2, 2012 Permalink

When did KSR get so many editors? I didn’t realize that half of these commenter’s were really literature analysts…with so many people telling ksr how to run their site it looks like KSR would have more competition from rival blogs. No…oh well, that must mean your comments SUCK!!!!

52. UL Sucks
    9:34 pm February 2, 2012 Permalink

What is wrong with you people? The fact a Louisville fan is permitted to post this jibberish signifies the downfall of Western Civilization. I don’t care if some bandwagon fan respects UK. I don’t and never will respect UL. Never. Go write for the the Card Chronicle. We don’t need your respect. It isn’t mutual.

53. bama_cat
    9:35 pm February 2, 2012 Permalink

finding the correct way to place 2500 commas in a single essay does not make him/her a good writer. it makes him/her grammatically correct. i could not even finish reading this.

54. MayorforLife
    9:37 pm February 2, 2012 Permalink

Grew up in Shively and Valley Station and never circum to the idiology that UL was even close to the same stage as UK basketball. South and west Louisvile make up 80% of the louisville fans, so St. Matthews was considered a Lexington suburb to us.

55. Stuffed Shirt
    9:40 pm February 2, 2012 Permalink

Your critics could watch “Gone with the Wind” and say, “it was some chick flick about some woman who had a bad day”.

56. Stank McNasty
    9:40 pm February 2, 2012 Permalink

Damn……what a waste of time. Your head has been buried up your A$$ for so long that you have $hit plugging up your ears………go get a life………..A Ville fan for life….Please……what drugs were you on!!!!!!!!

57. Stank McNasty
    9:45 pm February 2, 2012 Permalink

You’re on the wrong site Bulldawg…………..Suck it…

58. bigbluecats
    9:51 pm February 2, 2012 Permalink

Good write up. And maybe if these writers (like the UConn and Carolina fans) seen half the comments before they complimented UK fans then they would think twice before saying GOOD things. But thank God some of you dont speek for all of us. Id be willing to bet that most of the negative feedback is from the retards that cant fathom articulate big words and just like to look at pictures. All the same they are the ones that do shit wrong 10 times even though someone keeps telling them how to do it right but they are too feeble minded to comprehend. And I hope u bash me too cause it just proves my point.

59. Chuck
    9:55 pm February 2, 2012 Permalink

58 = Virgin

60. Colorado transplant
    9:56 pm February 2, 2012 Permalink

There’s two people who appreciate this article,,,,the author and his mom…go back where you came from

61. Stank McNasty
    9:58 pm February 2, 2012 Permalink

Great comments Chuck and Colorado……I was going to comment to 58 but I don’t think they would post it.

62. notv
    10:06 pm February 2, 2012 Permalink

go back to Louisville and open a hat bill ironing shop or patent a new line beard trimmer. You’re bound to make it further than you ever will as a journalist.

63. catastic
    10:23 pm February 2, 2012 Permalink

Most of you on here make me sick. First of all blog entries do not have to be grammatically correct. They are written to portray style and emotion. Second, it was refreshing to read insight from the otherside of the perspective. If they posted biographies of recruits all day they would run out of shit to write quickly, and if that is all you want go to ESPN. We can get that info anyway, but what makes KSR so great is that they give us much more than that.

Thank you for this piece. It was refreshing, insightful, and intriguing to say the least. I even postponed sleeping with my wife to read it all. No ive got business to do. The rest of you can complain about a blog, talk crap to a kid behind a computer screen, and be jealous of what im doing. Im sure you havent touched a women in years. Deuces cranky commenters

64. Clam
    10:27 pm February 2, 2012 Permalink

Good article overall, and I appreciate your thoughtfulness and good writing (which is oh so rare on the sports world).

My only gripe is that KSR, God bless ’em, is too concerned with Louisville. I suppose this comes from Matt and other writers living there, but most UK fan are not nearly as concerned with Louisville or UofL as KSR would make it seem.

PLEASE let up on all this UofL stuff whe we are not even playing them. I don’t think a UK fan has anything to be envious about UofL, so why obsess on them so much? Please just stop it.

65. Zaber123
    10:28 pm February 2, 2012 Permalink

That was some solid hyperbole

66. Woo's Gummy Snacks
    10:39 pm February 2, 2012 Permalink

good article/write up….and not even due to the fact that i agree, i just find the angle, intriguing and contemplative. I’ve never had these specific thoughts or connected these specific dots but i dont necessarily disagree…..this will lead to good conversation

67. Fan1
    10:44 pm February 2, 2012 Permalink

Too bad we can’t just reroute the Ohio river around all of Jefferson County and just give the ghetto which is louseyille to the low-lifes to the north.

68. Carl
    10:47 pm February 2, 2012 Permalink

Good article. I liked: “Kentucky- the shining buckle of all sports belts, the bottomless breadbasket of all bottomless baskets hung up on a 10 foot post. Basketball, where would this great state be without it.”
    The rest of you need to lighten up.

69. notv
    10:59 pm February 2, 2012 Permalink

63 — It’s KSR college. Thus, they should be writing at a college level. Which means using English at a level at or above a retard.

Style and emotion are one thing, if you’re Ernest Hemingway or William Faulkner. We all know those guys were masters of the language though. But if English was good enough for Jesus, write it like the good Lord intended.

(Seriously?)

70. best1978
    11:05 pm February 2, 2012 Permalink

If some of the folks in Louisville would not look down their noses at other Kentuckians, then maybe the rest of Kentucky would not resent Louisvillians. Notice how much the looks like villans?

71. bama_cat
    11:06 pm February 2, 2012 Permalink

bahahaha 63, what a tool, maybe u should spend more time with ur wife and find more of a married friendly blog. and in case it needs to be reiterated again, 63 is goin to sleep with his wife. and 63 is goin to sleep with his wife. oh wait, hes goin to sleep with his wife.

72. Lucas
    11:14 pm February 2, 2012 Permalink

Not a bad article. There were some parts that it did feel like it dragged slightly, but other than that, it was pretty well written. I really enj

73. Bulldawg
    11:44 pm February 2, 2012 Permalink

@57 don’t know what you are talkin bout dumba$$! I am not the one complaining about material posted on a free website, idiot. I love ksr and it pisses me off when people get on here and trash the writers. If you don’t like what they write, get the fu(k outta here (Scarface voice) or just skip over it, pretty simple. If you are not smart enough to understand my comment, then that is your bad. Since I bleed blue, I am pretty sure that I am on the best damn site on the planet for that!!!! SO DON’T TELL ME I am on the wrong site douche bag. KSR exists to please me!!!!! Don’t you know anything????? GBB!!!!

74. Catincolorado
    11:48 pm February 2, 2012 Permalink

I’m always proud to be a Cats fan until I start to read the comments section. Damn we can be some ignorant assholes.

75. Matt D
    11:55 pm February 2, 2012 Permalink

I’m on board with #27. I have to remember that despite the people in the comment sections being UK fans, they are still people. I’d like to think that UK fans take pride in their behavior and don’t act like idiots, but, as previously stated, fans are just people. UK has some great ones, but many most willing to comment are embarrassing. Hopefully the rest of us can show some semblance of reasonableness. May the actions of BBN speak louder than the words of the few on here that make Matt jones want to kill the blog. <3 ksr. xoxo

76. Stylz
    12:15 am February 3, 2012 Permalink

As someone who lived attending both grade school and high school in Louisville, your well written piece is great insight for those who have never experienced living there…it is worse now since I left back in 89′ to attend UK (UL was never an option I entertained for a higher education). Fortunately, I have no family there to draw me back. Oddly enough, about two years ago, my brother and I met Mayor Abramson in Florida at a traveling event sponsored by the City of Louisville where he tried to convince people who were from Louisville to come back and consider prospering back in Louisville. We went for the free small batch bourbon being offered…thanks but no thanks.

77. thefan
    1:18 am February 3, 2012 Permalink

good read.

78. Eloy the Destroyer
    2:17 am February 3, 2012 Permalink

#63 aka… Im mad because my date stood me up, so now i’m gonna rub one out and go to bed.

79. Bledsoe's Biceps
    7:32 am February 3, 2012 Permalink

Good post. Comments – Not so much. Too many immature mental midgets who believe they have the only opinion that should count. And if UL is simply mentioned then they have to show how tough they are, by typing on a keyboard.

80. Conference Call
    8:00 am February 3, 2012 Permalink

Nice call on the Indiana drivers in the fast lane, I HATE that. Ohio’s are just as bad about it. I’m from Louisville also and chose BLUE at birth. I now live in Lexington and agree that Louisville needs a new coach if they want someone to LEAD them. But I hope they stick with Rick, so they don’t improve.

81. JimR
    8:10 am February 3, 2012 Permalink

Both 55 and 74 are on the money. New writers posting on KSR (seasoned ones, for that matter) must feel like they’ve landed in hell wearing gasoline underwear. Most of the flamers would dry up if we had to post under our real names.

82. jimmiephil
    8:22 am February 3, 2012 Permalink

Very well written. Thank you

83. Zack
    8:31 am February 3, 2012 Permalink

Wow, the hate on here from fellow Big Blue fans is disheartening. I’m a diehard UK fan, and really appreciated the perspective not just of sports “us vs. them” but in the sociological differences that the writer perceives between Lexington and Louisville. I found this to be 100% easier to read and more entertaining than the vast majority of the error laden posts (spelling, grammar) we wade through daily here at KSR, and think that the writer should be commended for doing a great job. Apparently if there isn’t a picture of underage female “Fans of the Day” up for some slack jawed yokels to rank or claim who they’d “hit it” with, it’s not a good post? Weak sauce BBN, we’re better than this.

84. Al's IndiCats
    8:33 am February 3, 2012 Permalink

Great Read, but seriously why would some of you act like the pompous ASS you are? I lived around Boston for two years and NYC for one year. Those people that dwell in those two cities think the rest of the country are nothing but a bunch of bumkins. They are the RUDEST of the rude.

I grew up in the projects in the south end Louisville in the 50s and 60s and was a Big Blue fan from the age of 7, listening to Ed Breck, Vernon Hatten, Larry Persifil, and Cotton Nash on the radio was the High light of the week for my family and I.

I was stationed in Springfield Mass, for a year, then went to S.E.A for 13 months, during that time my sisters would tape record every game and sent it tto me so I could keep up with the Cats. When I returned to the States I then would drive 35 miles one way to listen to Cawood call the game from the hightest point in Kansas in ALL the weather.

Upon returning to civilian life my job was no longer there so I moved to Indy for work, got married, raised 3 kids (Who are DIE HARD CAT FANS).
    The point I’m getting to is that some of you fine folks just look at something to bitch about be it an article from BTI to the author of this piece. If you look at the headline it reads: Some “THOUGHTS” from the other half. Nothing more…..nothing less! I found it insightful and amusing.
    Some of you couldn’t be happy if you were to stay home and your employer mail your wages to you, you’d want him to send it to your bank……GO CATS!

85. Kwildcat
    8:35 am February 3, 2012 Permalink

Hey girl, nice read but wordy. If you think Lexington is different, half of these dipsh!ts who comment on here are from a world outside of the city that would absolutely freak you out. I mean put away the sharp knife cause you’d slit yur wrists! That being said in the business world in sales there is an acronym KISS – Keep It Simple Stupid. You could have gotten by with far less to get to the point, if that ‘s what it was. Guess what, I live in Lou, went to Ballard (state champ year), went to UK, lived in Lex for 6 years….so I know your story!!! Love your passion and perspective keep goin (just shortin it!!).

86. TrashCanMan
    8:37 am February 3, 2012 Permalink

Good writing. a little wordy but I got the point. Im glad that someone in Louisville has a brain.

87. GummyBear
    8:37 am February 3, 2012 Permalink

13.. I think the key word there was “urban”, which Okolona most certainly is not.

88. Yabba Do
    9:00 am February 3, 2012 Permalink

UofL fans are Midwestern wannabe, ass kissers, Kentucky fans from Louisville aren’t. You want to awaken yourself Louisville?, show some Southern Pride like the rest of the State. Then, maybe, we’ll start viewing the City of Louisville like Tennessee does Nashville or Georgia does Atlanta.

89. Slirmin
    9:16 am February 3, 2012 Permalink

I bet he was a Delta Tau Delta at UK.

90. CATS
    9:30 am February 3, 2012 Permalink

69.) HAHHAHAH Jesus didn’t speak English. You lost all credibility with that statement

91. villecard
    9:35 am February 3, 2012 Permalink

#16 If you were born in Louisville, but your loyalty resides to UK, you have no loyalty. Traitor.

92. notv
    9:41 am February 3, 2012 Permalink

90 – Thanks for falling for troll bait. Which is why I included “(Seriously?)” at the end of the post. Play again next time.

93. Susan
    9:53 am February 3, 2012 Permalink

I also thought it was very well written, and I like your writing style. Great job – I’m going to have to check out KSR College more often.

94. RICK
    9:58 am February 3, 2012 Permalink

WE CAN ALL WRITE A STORY LIKE THIS, BUT NO ONE WANTS TO READ IT.

95. theWilkman
    9:59 am February 3, 2012 Permalink

Quit complaining that it was too long. Really? It took you more than 5 minutes to read? Stick to “Tweet Beat” then if musings over 140 characters hurts your brain.

Nice article, great style. I’m sorry you feel you are required to be a Louisville fan. I have many friends I made at UK who came from Louisville that didn’t feel that pressure to succumb to the Red. If Pitino stays on until 2017, you may finally make the full jump to the BBN.

96. tvillian
    10:06 am February 3, 2012 Permalink

i took a shit this morning that was better than this

97. EdgarAllenPoe
    10:32 am February 3, 2012 Permalink

KSR needs to go back to having to log in to leave comments. This was a well written piece and anyone with even half a brain can see that. It is topically outside of the usual KSR pieces in that it does not deal directly with players or game recaps. Nevertheless, it is about UK basketball and provides an insightful and different perspective.

You who bash this article didn’t have to read it and if you chose to and found that you didn’t like reading something besides Teague’s assist to turnover ratio and related stats that even the Herald Leader prints, then you could have ceased reading. At the very least it was well written – if you want to complain about anything on KSR, it’s that the quality of writing has dropped off, but this was a well written piece. Thank you Kristen. Ignore the idiots.

98. TruthSquad
    10:40 am February 3, 2012 Permalink

Kristen, I just read this sentence in another article you wrote: “Being a lifelong Lexingtonian, I was spoiled by my easy access to obscure television channels showing the game, scintillating Herald-Leader sports articles by Jerry Tipton, copius tailgating, and the completely unique and (mostly) memorable experience of being a 21 year old during a UK Final Four run.” So, are you from Lexington or Louisville or does it depend on which way the wind is blowing in Chicago.

99. catfan38
    10:51 am February 3, 2012 Permalink

Boring!

100. Scott
    12:03 pm February 3, 2012 Permalink

UofL fans are complacent and accept mediocrity, yet they are still chastised for forcing Denny Crum out. Something doesn’t add up there.

101. Haters gon' hate
    12:35 pm February 3, 2012 Permalink

A lot of people who are ragging on Kristen should probably read a little deeper and realize that she did NOT write this piece. It was submitted anonymously by a UL fan. So quit hating on the wrong person. Or just quit hating, but that might be too much to ask.