Today is game day as the Cats prepare to host the fighting Devan Downey’s. I will have a USC preview and a look at the key Gamecocks soon.
Here are some midday updates as we set our sites on revenge:
– I am excited about Matt and the KSR guys checking out a Morehead State game tonight. I spent 10 great years in Morehead, met my wife there, earned a couple of degrees from MSU and love what head coach Donnie Tyndall is doing with the Eagles.
Johnson Arena is a nice facility and tonight will be a tremendous game as the Eagles battle instate rivals Murray State, who has one of the most talented teams I’ve ever watched in the OVC.
Oh yeah, Morehead State has one of the nation’s best post players in Kenneth Faried, who leads the nation in rebounding with more than 13 per game.
– USAToday.com wonders if experience matters for the Cats as they prepare for March Madness. The article even references some statistical numbers from an awesome Kentucky website.
– Just when it seemed that ex-Cat John Pelphrey was turning things around at Arkansas, his team has ran into a tough stretch. The Razorbacks were 6-3 in the SEC and leading the West Division, but have managed to lose 3 of the last 4. Last night, they lost 65-54 to LSU, which is 1-12 now in conference play. I wonder if Pelphrey’s seat is starting to feel warm again?
– Do you happen to remember Louisville 2011 recruit Jeremy Tyler? Long story short: he committed to Louisville, opted to quit high school and go overseas, signed for $150,000, has played about 7 minutes a game and scored 2.1 points and recently he just walked off the bench and watched from the stands. I have a feeling that he is now wishing he could do it all over and be a Louisville recruit once again.
– I am proud to say that the SEC’s top two women’s teams meet tonight in Knoxville. I’m proud because one of those two teams is UK. The No. 16/14 Kentucky women battle No. 4 Tennessee. Here is a preview from UKAthletics.com
– I’m not a big Jarvis Varnado fan by any means, but I should point out that he broke the all-time NCAA record for career blocked shots last night. He blocked 8 Alabama shots to give him 536 for his career.
– Did you see Matt’s pictures from UNC last night (scroll down)? The Tar Heels are now 14-14 (3-10 ACC). Wow. I wonder if Roy feels that John Wall fits into the North Carolina character mold now?