Some Quick Thoughts on Kyle Wiltjer’s Transfer

Kyle Wiltjer, Jason Pimentel

I was surprised this afternoon to be on hole 16 at Stonecrest (sitting by the way at +2 and poised to have one of the best rounds of my life) to hear the news that Kyle Wiltjer was leaving Kentucky. The news caused me to scramble, calling anyone and everyone to get info and to play the final three holes 5 over par (look, 79 for me is not bad, but I was set to have a career day). While the news took me a bit off guard, now with some time for hindsight, it isn’t shocking that Kyle has decided to leave Kentucky. Let me start there by saying that I fully expect Wiltjer to never again play in Lexington. While I know that he and Calipari both left the option open for a return in their statements, from talks I had today, no one believes he will come back. Over the last 48 hours, multiple conversations took place to try and convince Wiltjer to stay and he has decided to explore his options. It would be a shock if he returned.

So why did it happen? Simply put, Kyle Wiltjer wants to play at a school where he will be the focal point of the team’s offense. He believes (correctly I might add) that he possesses a number of offensive skills and he doesn’t want to be limited to a three point shooting role, or an occasional post-up player. He wants to go to a school where the offense can go through him, play to his strengths and his weaknesses can be hidden. One major weakness is defense and he knows that Calipari is loathe to play zone, so going to a school where that is a consistent option if necessary, appeals to Wiltjer. But most importantly, he is a guy that believes he does better with the ball in his hand. That was showcased during his tremendous performance for the Cats versus Ole Miss. However that occurred when Kentucky was talent depleted. That won’t happen next year and it likely won’t happen again in the future. Calipari has too many great players to give Wiltjer the ball and run the offense through him…that won’t happen here and for Kyle to maximize his potential, he may need it, and that has to occur elsewhere.

With that said, the folks at Kentucky wanted Wiltjer to stay. They think he can be a valuable asset to next year’s team and still has his best days ahead. However an issue with Wiltjer has always been his work ethic and his desire to fix the things that he must change to reach his maximum potential. Since arriving at Kentucky, he hasn’t gotten appreciably stronger or faster…both things that must happen, likely to play in the NBA, but certainly to play in the UK system. Wiltjer just hasn’t done those things and while he is still a great shooter and has many post-up skills, he hasn’t become the complete player that he can be. Kentucky coaches thought this year, with the competition in practice and the new talent on campus, that would take place. It looks like they won’t get a chance to see it come to fruition.

Wiltjer spent the last few weeks playing for Team Canada. In that system, Wiltjer saw what it was like to be the center of an offense and he excelled. I think he wants that now for the rest of his college experience. On that team, he played with some of the guys he knew in high school and AAU and a couple of those players are currently on Gonzaga. I would expect that the Zags would be his most likely destination and I think the bonds formed on Team Canada are a big part of it. But I won’t blame Team Canada for all of it. The reality is that after the season, many rumors swirled of a Wiltjer transfer. He denied all of them, but where there is that much smoke, there has to be some fire. Much had been made of Wiltjer’s parents moving to Kentucky, but whereas stories were reported of them buying a house in Lexington, in the end they never actually got one. In his post-season conversations with the UK staff, Wiltjer asked about his role and seemed primed for another year in Kentucky going after his second national title. But clearly there were other thoughts going on as well. Those thoughts became reality after his Team Canada experience.

I wish Kyle Wiltjer the best. I hope that he ends up coming back to Lexington, even though I think it unlikely. He is a great kid, with a wonderful personality and he was a good contributor for his two years here. While not crucial to the chase for #9, I think this Kentucky team could use him next season. However it might be best for him to find a system that best fits what he does. If that is the case, then this move makes sense and I hope for him much success.

Article written by Matt Jones

80 Comments for Some Quick Thoughts on Kyle Wiltjer’s Transfer

1. Slappy
    9:56 pm June 24, 2013 Permalink

Too much of a defensive liability, and too slow. Like the move … since he caused my bald spot to double last season.

2. Russ Smith
    9:58 pm June 24, 2013 Permalink

Smart kid, didn’t want another whoopin.

3. catdaddyd
    9:59 pm June 24, 2013 Permalink

Well said, matt.

4. CatsFan12
    9:59 pm June 24, 2013 Permalink

Good luck getting with a smokin hot girlfriend up there. Gonzaga’s female population is in the lower third of universities in the nation.

5. Old Henry Man
    10:00 pm June 24, 2013 Permalink

He should not be invited back to UK in 2022, for the 10 year reunion. He will be remembered like as not a part of BBN

6. CatsFan12
    10:00 pm June 24, 2013 Permalink

Good Luck though you will be missed.

7. Kelkat
    10:02 pm June 24, 2013 Permalink

I felt like out side shooting could be a weakness on this year’s team. Now it seems that losing Wiltjer really makes that more likely to be true.

8. jeff
    10:02 pm June 24, 2013 Permalink

#5, Wiltjer was in Kentucky for double the time most UK players tend to stay anymore, so your comment is ignorant. best wishes wiltjer!

9. NKY Cayt
    10:04 pm June 24, 2013 Permalink

If I’m Hawkins, Polson, Hood or someone else currently with a low ceiling on my playing time next year, then I’m obsessively shooting 3’s and FT’s from now until October. We now have an opening for “spot up shooter” for the 2013-14 season. Any applicants?

10. KC
    10:06 pm June 24, 2013 Permalink

Matt,

Do you think Cal will hold his scholarship for possibly
    landing Dante Exum in the Spring Semester?

11. Harry
    10:08 pm June 24, 2013 Permalink

Best of luck. You will always be a part of BBN.

12. JP
    10:09 pm June 24, 2013 Permalink

So what you’re telling me is that Kyle didn’t want to work hard to get better in order to earn a spot against the talent coming in, as opposed to just having it handed to him? As much as I like him, that attitude sucks.

It’s fine if I’m wrong, but that’s the impression I’m getting.

13. Wildcatsteeler
    10:10 pm June 24, 2013 Permalink

Any division 1 team that makes their offense “go through” him is gonna have a very tough season.

@5 I agree.

14. Eric
    10:11 pm June 24, 2013 Permalink

I disagree with “while not crucial.”. Outside shooting is the perfect compliment to athleticism and inside play, and without Kyle will be sorely lacking next year. I hope he isn’t the missing piece in 2014, like Jody Meeks was for Wall, Cousins and co!

15. Old Henry Man
    10:12 pm June 24, 2013 Permalink

Good Pont #12.
    Get rid of the players that thanks everything is owed to them. If Kyle does not want to compete then he does not belong here.
    By the way Aaron Harrison can shoot and play Defense

16. Popcorn Fart
    10:13 pm June 24, 2013 Permalink

Kyle is one burger boy that Cal did not develop.

17. backdoorSlider.com
    10:13 pm June 24, 2013 Permalink

I really thought that Kyle would be UK’s version of Kyle Singler. He showed glimpses of taking over games last year but never seemed to have the confidence to be “The Man”. I will hate to see him go for I think he could still be that type of player but wish him the best.

18. jman3715
    10:25 pm June 24, 2013 Permalink

Kyle had the perfect opportunity and playing time to prove himself last year and never did. I’m sure he is a great guy but Kyle you were given the chance of a lifetime that most of us can only dream of and did not take advantage of it. Good luck!

19. cm punk
    10:25 pm June 24, 2013 Permalink

His defense sucks. Im glad that now ALL of the weak links from last year’s abomination are gone. Do not want to sit thru another year like that again. Oh and Harrison and Young can both shoot the 3.

20. Luke
    10:26 pm June 24, 2013 Permalink

Bummed to lose Kyle. Wish him the best, just hope he doesn’t head to a rival school.

21. Roofus Howls
    10:28 pm June 24, 2013 Permalink

Wish he would just redshirt and stay. If he transfers he has to redshirt, and the year with Rock Oliver would do more for him than Gonzaga.

22. 8th grade
    10:30 pm June 24, 2013 Permalink

Where is he going to play next year?

23. bung
    10:32 pm June 24, 2013 Permalink

shoulda played him more last year instead of wasting time with some of the others…

24. Archie goodwin falls alot
    10:33 pm June 24, 2013 Permalink

He should have stayed come off the bench play 10 mintues a game and hit 3 or 4 threes a game.. maybe win your second national title and start your senior season.. and then always be part of bbn. go back and look at wiltjer he freshman year when you had to guard all of the other pieces of our team and how well he shot when he was wide open.. we also lose a little experience we could have used in pressure situations in the tournament.. i think wiltjer will be missed more than people tend to think..

25. Wildcat Faithful
    10:33 pm June 24, 2013 Permalink

This is not a slap on Kyle, but he is a role player (three-point specialist) who wants starter minutes that just aren’t available with the class Cal has coming in this season. Kinda sucks that BBN’s final memory of him on the court will be missing the final shot in the loss to RM. Ugh!
    Anyway, best of luck and hope you find success at your new school.

26. College girl's Abs
    10:33 pm June 24, 2013 Permalink

UK will have 3 guys in the rotation next year that shoot as well as Kyle. Kyle missed a bunch of shots last year.

Also, the only things he didn’t develop was quickness and power. and coaches cant do that for you. If Kyle wants to play pro ball he had better get to doing some ladder drills and lifting some weights. He’s got Yao Ming foot speed and 2-guard power. Don’t get me wrong, I would love to have him back, but I hope he starts taking fitness seriously, where ever he ends up.

27. Woohop
    10:33 pm June 24, 2013 Permalink

Guess Calipari finally got rid of his last vestige of any player that has skills other than dribble drive. Maybe if he had broader skill as a coach he could have taken the talent he had last year and played a different game that included setting screens for spot-up shooters on offense and zone on defense. The greatest coaches can adapt to the talent he has. If not, then make darn sure you recruit players that can play your style. He guessed wrong or misread the talent he recruited last year an we struggled mightily because Cal could never adapt. Hopefully he read this year’s recruits’ talents better than last. Now, an incredibly talented spot-up shooter has left. Does our new team have a shooter that can replace that aspect of our offense……or are they all dribble drive style players who expect someone besides them to play Cal’s man-to-man defense? We will soon see.

28. Name(required)
    10:35 pm June 24, 2013 Permalink

I can see him being a good offensive fit for West Coast ball BYU, Gonzaga, or St Mary. He has an excellent shot, but his defensive skill set and offensive post up footwork needs honing. I’m not sure a coach is willing to trade his 3’s for 2’s. Maybe find a school that plays a lot of zone? Hmmm, he’s not quite Syracuse style though. Good luck to him. I think he will be happier and I can understand wanting to play more.

29. cool food
    10:40 pm June 24, 2013 Permalink

Kyle will be great on a team running a Spurs-type offence and a zone defense. Most BBN fans will be rooting for you, Kyle!! Best wishes!! Thanks for two great years!!

30. Kingscuba89
    10:41 pm June 24, 2013 Permalink

Is it bad that I only read the bold sentences? Good luck Kyle. You’ll be missed

31. Neil
    10:42 pm June 24, 2013 Permalink

The 3 ball will be just fine, Young and Harrison are great shooters as is Poythress and Randle.
    It is just too bad to lose anyone from the BBN, especially someone from a Championship team.
    Good luck Kyle.

32. Korean Tacos
    10:43 pm June 24, 2013 Permalink

Can’t fault someone for doing what makes them happy, but I’d hate to see him go to Zag. It’d probably lower any chance he has going to NBA. Scouts/GMs just don’t trust the Gonzaga kids anymore. I guess it would give me the chance to see him play more, since I live in Portland. Still he has a better chance at a NBA career getting 6th man minutes at UK than he does being a starter at Gonzaga

33. NIT
    10:47 pm June 24, 2013 Permalink

Cal’s players are figuring out that there are TWO paydays.

1) They get $200,000 to sign with the team in the first place.

2) They get twice that when they transfer out. It’s called “hush money.”

Harrow became a wealthy young man and now Wiltjer wants his

34. Ares
    10:48 pm June 24, 2013 Permalink

I wish him luck what ever he chooses. I hoped he would stay but I understand with what is coming in his concerns. I think those that are being a bit negative need to remember we are a players first program and if he can reach his potential somewhere else we probably shouldn’t hate. The kid can clearly shoot and I thought he would benefit with more talent around him.

35. Dee W.
    10:48 pm June 24, 2013 Permalink

5 – that’s ridiculous. We welcome back Oliver Simmons without any problem (and quite a few other players who left UK faster than Wiltjer – should he leave)- we can certainly welcome back Kyle Wiltjer…though I hope he ultimately decides to stay – I think we need him, plus I just like the kid.

Willis can potentially be a good shooter for the team but may not be ready next year to step into that role.

36. bgblue
    10:48 pm June 24, 2013 Permalink

Good Luck Kyle!. We will miss you.

37. wedding planner
    10:48 pm June 24, 2013 Permalink

Without Wiggins and Wiltjer, I hope we lower our expectations a notch. All this nonsense of a guaranteed final four or title are nonsense

38. fireant
    10:48 pm June 24, 2013 Permalink

KW needs to change his work habits if he wants to play for a living. Matt Jones hit the nail on the head, KW hasn’t changes a lot since he arrived and that is going to hurt him at UK. He is a defensive liability. He needs to add strength and endurance if he wants to play serious basketball either at UK or the NBA. It is a shame he is not embracing the road less traveled.

39. The Real Truth
    10:53 pm June 24, 2013 Permalink

Wiltjer probably sucks defensively because his coach never taught him

The other UK players had the athletic ability to play passable defense, but the guys who need to be coached up weren’t developed.

Didn’t this guy just say he “makes millionaires”? He killed Goodwins stock and just ran off another McD AA

And that’s the bottom line.

40. Smoov
    10:54 pm June 24, 2013 Permalink

no more WBA noooooooooooo!!!!!! i miss him for real

41. Shawon
    10:55 pm June 24, 2013 Permalink

Wish him well, because he’s a great person, but Kyle Wiltjer couldn’t guard a door, much less a Vanderbilt Commodore.

42. The Real Truth
    10:56 pm June 24, 2013 Permalink

Lipstick was the 4th or 5th best player on an NIT team that lost to Robert Morris. Fat Cow can’t win with guys like this. He has to have elite talent at every position or he FAILS.

43. Apulfarrar
    10:57 pm June 24, 2013 Permalink

Have fun in LONG BEACH Kyle.

44. lipset
    10:59 pm June 24, 2013 Permalink

this makes me SICK!! I hope he goes to louisville and stomps UK’s ASSets!! Love Cal but i cant support this team any longer. Smarts over athletic ability everytime. Bring in the thugs Cal!!!! Where did it get you last year???

45. mail will not be published required
    10:59 pm June 24, 2013 Permalink

I thank Kyle’s pretty don’t yall? He oughta beef up and be a rassler.

46. UK
    11:00 pm June 24, 2013 Permalink

I like Kyle but three point shooting will be fine. Remember the name James Young? Everyone seems to forget that he will be a stud. Aaron Harrison was the best shooting guard in the country, and his brotherAndrew is an underrated shooter. Poythress shot 42% from 3 last year. Randle will compete for being the best power forward in the country. Marcus Lee will get to develop for us earlier and get valuable minutes for the future. Best if luck to Kyle but this season is gonna be sweet.

47. Cal'sDCups
    11:01 pm June 24, 2013 Permalink

Wheelchair will shine once he gets some coaching.

48. mail will not be published required
    11:01 pm June 24, 2013 Permalink

Don’t yall thank Kyle’s prettier than James Young? He really oughta be a rassler.

49. Shoutout
    11:03 pm June 24, 2013 Permalink

Shout out to all the trolls tonight. Whats it like to have nothing better to do than post on a rival teams website? I wouldn’t know because I have a life.

50. Wildcat Faithful
    11:05 pm June 24, 2013 Permalink

@27 I think your selling Cal short on his coaching skills, I’d blame it more on recruiting last year then anything else. I think most fans would agree the three biggest killers last year were lack of quality guard play, Noel going down, and no bench depth. It’s hard to execute a game plan when several key players need an attitude adjustment they will never receive due to lack of depth.
    Besides, Cal has not run a pure dribble-drive offense since he’s been at UK, it’s always been a hybrid with elements of pick-and-roll, post-up ect…,depending on the team he’s got. He’s not one dimensional like your suggesting.

51. HarrisonTwinsIneligible
    11:09 pm June 24, 2013 Permalink

Cal can’t just roll it out there when he has guys like Wiltjer out there. He needs more ringer so he can just sit back and act like he knows what is going on.

52. BGSteve
    11:10 pm June 24, 2013 Permalink

What blows my mind is HE’S the one who wanted to come HERE. Sending a video to Cal instead of being heavily recruited. His lack of strong skills on defense won’t be as noticeable in a zone-oriented system. Of all the egos to be managed, Wiltjer was way down on my list. Best wishes to him, and I hope he doesn’t end up regretting the decision.

53. Troll-Dar
    11:17 pm June 24, 2013 Permalink

Alert! Major troll sighting on KSR tonight!

54. Idiot
    11:21 pm June 24, 2013 Permalink

@44 you are an idiot, I’m guessing you’re a Lousyville fan already, but if not good riddance we don’t want you.

55. Michael
    11:35 pm June 24, 2013 Permalink

The Real Truth posts on the Cardinals scout board because he said the exact same thing on there under a different name. I like to take a look on their board when something like this happens for the hilarity. Why do they always forget about Pitino kicking multiple players off the team against their will every year and have the audacity to say Cal kicked Wiltjer off?

56. Michael
    11:38 pm June 24, 2013 Permalink

@Harrison twins ineligible, If Cal is such a bad coach what does that make Pitino? It makes Pitino 1-4 against Cal and the only win came against Cals worst with Pitinos best playing at home and only squeezing out a pathetic 3 point victory against an NIT team. Way to go douche.

57. L1C4 is LAME
    11:49 pm June 24, 2013 Permalink

NEWSFLASH…….. LOUISVILLE FANS R THE MOST IGNORANT FAN BASE THERE IS!!! TALK SPORTS OUT THEIR ASS!!!

58. Swag
    12:08 am June 25, 2013 Permalink

Swag

59. L-Dog
    1:09 am June 25, 2013 Permalink

Oooooh Wel…. Wiltjer’s loss….

60. LongParagraphsSuch
    2:06 am June 25, 2013 Permalink

Matt, Drew,
    Hit Return: long paragraphs are Hard To Read!!!!

61. Lip set
    4:05 am June 25, 2013 Permalink

54) let the mouse out of your pocket. The only “we” talking is one dumbazz

62. Nerlens
    6:52 am June 25, 2013 Permalink

It’s funny seeing some of these trolls coming on here and downgrading Wiltjer. It is obvious that you people don’t represent BBN. Cal wanted Wiltjer to stay and Wiltjer also wanted to stay. This was a very hard decision for him, but one that is in the best interests of Wiltjer as a basketball move. He already has a championship ring.

He could be a role player at UK in a system that isnt the best fit for his skills, OR he could go to the West Coast Conference and average 15-18ppg. For someone with a ring already, this is a no brainer.

63. RainmanJax
    7:45 am June 25, 2013 Permalink

Kyle style of play never fit Cal’s style of play. Last years team did not play a lot of team ball and pass well. When Kyle had his stint with the Canadian team he was better utilized and he would rather play on a team that plays the style of play rather than Dribble Drive. So he is looking to the future for a team that will utilize his skills, and to me this would help him in the future.

64. Bob the Replier
    7:59 am June 25, 2013 Permalink

Interesting that he wants to go someplace to be the man but when asked to step up and be the man last year he couldn’t handle the role.

65. Big Blue Coming At You
    8:39 am June 25, 2013 Permalink

16. You can lead a horse to water but you can’t make it drink. Cal gave Wiltjer all the opportunity and tools he would ever need to succeed and instead of getting better, he wanted to make WBA videos all day. I wish Wiltjer the best wherever he goes but he doesn’t want to put in the work that’s needed to get better. As Cal said, he can’t hide you here. This place will expose you and Wiltjer got exposed for being slow and a defensive liability.

66. RahRah
    9:08 am June 25, 2013 Permalink

I hope those of you insulting a member of our beloved 2012 championship team ARE UofL trolls. Otherwise this is just sad. I’m sure Kyle is weighing all his options carefully and will make the best decision for himself. I hope we never have to play against him. Betting the shots would fall that night. Good luck, Buddy. #BBNforever

67. Mr. Blonde
    9:28 am June 25, 2013 Permalink

Obviously Randle, Poythress, and Lee are all big competitors for playing time at Wiltjer’s position. You also have to put into factor that Karl Towns is coming in next year and may very well play some at the power forward position depending on where Dakari Johnson is. AND Cal is still recruiting several other bigs (i.e. Jahlil Okafor, Trey Lyles, Cliff Alexander). I understand why he wants to leave, but it still hurts.

68. Opportunity squandered
    9:40 am June 25, 2013 Permalink

If Kyle wanted to be the man and have the offense flow thorough him then last year was a golden opportunity to do so – yet he didn’t step up. Nuff said.

69. She's A Caawp!
    10:11 am June 25, 2013 Permalink

I’m kind of saddened by some of the responses I’m reading here. Calapari’s system isn’t built around a player like Kyle, a spot-up shooter who isn’t adept at creating his own shot off the dribble. Kyle to me is like a taller version of J.J. Reddick, but J.J. had great success at Dook because Coach K likes the 3 ball and ran him off screen after screen until he got an open look. What Kyle needs to do is work on his core strength and defense, if he were stronger down low and could get that hook to fall his outside game would open up and he would be a much better offensive option.

Hope you stay buddie, but if you go best of luck to you!

70. She's A Caawp!
    10:16 am June 25, 2013 Permalink

@33…Are you kidding me? Go home, man

71. Allan Lanman
    10:27 am June 25, 2013 Permalink

I think the Canadian experience may well have been the tipping point for Kyle. 10 of the other 12 players are playing Div. 1 ball, of which Gonzaga is probably the consistently strongest program represented. They ran the table beating all three of their opponents three times [Latvia, China, and the USA] and Kyle was averaging double figures and in the final game also had double figure rebounds. The Canadian team’s signature was their smothering defense, which sounds like Kyle managed to hold his own in their system of play. I can see this sending a strong message to Kyle to find a place where he can excel, and concluding that UK is not likely to be that place. Reality is not always what we want, but what we get. I liked him as a player and will regret his leaving, but he will have a place in my heart as part of #8, ALWAYS.
    A Cat fan in Canada

72. jeff
    10:51 am June 25, 2013 Permalink

good luck to ya kyle the bbn will always have your back

73. bluecreeker
    12:22 pm June 25, 2013 Permalink

Never have I read so much crap on a UK site. Kyle Wiltjer along with players like Polson and the Mono depleted John Hood were about the only ones on the floor last year who had a clue what they were doing offensively. UK was a MUCH, MUCH better team offensively with Wiltjer on the floor and the ball moving through his hands.

Defensive liability? only if Cal allows him to be a defensive liability. Wiltjer had no such issues with Noel on the floor, and with Noel gone….it would only be up to one person to make the adjustments in order for Kyle to still be effective. A zone defense might have been in order?

No sir……more Cal trying to fit the square peg into the round hole IMO. I said the same thing years ago about Tubby. The man refused to change his style to suit the players on the floor.

Kyle Wiltjer will be THE man at Gonzaga, and I will be a Gonzaga fan as long as he is there. It will be refreshing to see him prosper in a way he wouldn’t behind the likes of Archie Griffin, Poythress, Harrow, and whatever 1 and done genius we get. Regardless what worked last year….Cal went right back to Griffin and Poythress time after time after time…..it was painful to watch for all BBN.

Sorry gang, but I have been watching UK Bball since Joe B. Hall days, and I am starting to not like what I see.

I calls ’em like I sees ’em.

Good luck to Kyle Wiltjer…..one of my favorite UK players.

74. Blu Day Due
    2:30 pm June 25, 2013 Permalink

Kyle was never a good fit at UK. The system that Cal has implemented calls for one on one offense and man to man defense. Simply put. Athletic Players. Kyle can flat out shoot the ball. But he struggles creating his on shot and seems a step to slow on the defensive end. Its a shame because he is such a good person. I wish him well. He needs to find a system that better suites his strengths and weaknesses.

75. I calls em like I sees 'em too
    3:33 pm June 25, 2013 Permalink

#73..Granted the offense was better with Wiltjer on the floor but that never, ever made up for the fact that our opponents offense was better when he was on the floor too. He was a defensive liabliity like no other. Guy couldnt guard a 3 piece suit if he was the one wearing it. I doubt he would have been effective even in a zone defense. Coaches know how to take advantage of the weakest part of a defense. And I am amased that you think that Cal needs to change 4 other players style of play to suit the 5th. that are on the floor. Doesnt work that way. And who is this Archie Griffin you kept talking about? I thought he played football at Ohio State years ago.

76. Bob
    3:52 pm June 25, 2013 Permalink

Don’t let the door hit ya, baby. You couldn’t guard a fence post.

77. DribbleDrive
    4:35 pm June 25, 2013 Permalink

Bottom line, if you are not a dribble drive type of player, you will not succeed under Cal. Spot up shooters need not apply.

78. bluecreeker
    7:08 pm June 25, 2013 Permalink

#73 – Dear Lord man…the guy is almost 7′ working on the perimeter most of the time. Of course he will struggle defensively. That doesn’t mean Cal couldn’t make the right adjustments (zone) so that they wouldn’t get killed on D. I saw no such adjustments, only the same old S about doing the work to get better.

#77 – You are exactly right. Call it what you will, I know what we called it back in the day.

Most KoolAid drinkers don’t know what the’re looking at (Bob #76)

Everybody who watched UK last season, watched them struggle offensively when Kyle wasn’t in the game. Archie Goodwin (Griffin) was a turd as well as Harrow and Poythress. One has to wonder why Cal kept trying to ram those guys down everybody’s throat.

I saw a weak team lose in the first round of the NIT……what did you guys see?

79. Katbluefan
    6:47 am June 26, 2013 Permalink

Why do some people have to be a complete Jacka$$ when someone like Wiltjer feels like he needs to make a change in his life. When Cal took over the program at KY he felt like he needed to make changes in the program and he did which included players leaving. I wish Wiltjer the best what ever he desides to do.

80. Lcat
    9:34 am June 27, 2013 Permalink

Kyle will be an All -American at Zag U. They develop players. Note their 2 star center will be a lottery pick