Its finally here…after the first game in Cincinnati that only barely felt like a game, and then a bizarre Week 2 bye week, football time in the Bluegrass is officially here. The anticipation on the UK side of the aisle for this game has been strong. Everywhere I go, people are talking about the improvement of Mike Hartline, the new Wide Receiver strength and the deflation of all things Louisville. Plus, all are ready for a new season of tailgating and the potential for the UK band to be better than awful. It is a time of optimism all over and tomorrow cant get here soon enough. A couple of notes on the day.
— Football recruiting has potentially its biggest day of the year as Kentucky welcomes two 4 star players on it campus. Storm Johnson, the Running back out of Georgia, and Alex Smith, the TE out of Ohio, have both been brought to campus for this game, and an electric atmosphere followed by a big victory, could be huge in getting two offensive stars to Lexington.
— Its also a big weekend for basketball recruiting as Stacey Poole and Brandon Knight have found their way to Lexington for the weekend as well. Both of these players are UK targets that have been rumored to be on the verge of pulling the trigger for sometime. In Poole’s case, he has said he wants to make a decision early next week and his ultimate call may only come down to how much “love” he feels from the UK coaches when he is in town. As for Knight, Larry Vaught suggested this week on the Kentucky Sports Report premium section that he believed that Knight was very close to committing. While I havent heard that immediacy, UK has been thought the leader for Knight for some time, so this weekend could be huge in closing the proverbial deal.
— Ok so those are the official points. Now lets talk about what is really important to watch for on Saturday:
1. Is Mike Hartline for Real?
2. Will the Commonwealth Stadium crowd be full with as many beautiful women as we all hope?
3. How loud will the reaction be if the UK basketball team is introduced?
4. Will I cry at the new SEC press rules that will force me to watch most of the game in the press box, rather than on the field?
5. Will the band play “Motown Hits from the 60s” for the 5,000th straight game?
6. Will the guy who stands up and leads the C-A-T-S cheer finally fall down and hurt himself?
7. Is it possible for David Diaz-Infante to be an even worse color commentator than he was two weeks ago?
8. Will the analogy made on a live blog by a reader of Jeff Piecoro to Michael Cole of the WWE, be shown to be brilliant?
9. Is it possible for Lones Seiber to miss a PAT, FG and shank a kickoff in the same game? The proverbial triple crown of emo kicking?
10. Will Alan Cutler knock another person over to get to the BBQ in the media room?
These are the questions of the day, and will be my focus as the Cats simply pound the Cards into oblivion. We will be doing a LIVE BLOG DURING THE GAME HERE ON KSR, that can be read by those watching the game at home, or at the game on their cell phones. In addition, we will be giving away two tickets to one of the UK basketball exhibition games via our Kentucky Sports Radio twitter feed.
Get ready…tomorrow is going to be a fun day to be a Cat fan….