Nerlens, Archie, and Julius Mays talk about the new group of Cats

BQWNHM8CcAA0iB5

John Calipari’s Pro Camps start this week, and it looks like so familiar faces are in town to help out. Check out this group picture of the campers, with special guests Nerlens Noel, Twany Beckham, Julius Mays, and Archie Goodwin. Nerlens is coaching one group of kiddos, while former Cat Perry Stevenson coaches the other.

BQWI9S3CcAAe7f2
Photo by @UK_Fans

The former Cats talked to the media briefly during the camp. Here are some highlights:

Archie Goodwin on his Summer League success: “I wanted to showcase that I’ve been working really hard. I wanted to show that I was better than what people thought. …I knew what I was capable of. I control my own fate. Nobody else controls its.” Goodwin also said he’s been told by the Suns GM that he’ll play right away and they believe he’s one of the best players from the 2013 draft.

Archie on the current UK team: “There’s just too many guys on this team that hate to lose and I feel like they’re going to do special things.”

Archie on Julius Randle: “Julius, he really stands out to me. He’s a competitive guy just like I was, in the gym every night just like I was.”

Julius Mays said that he expects to sign a contract with an overseas team any day, but doesn’t know which country yet. Nerlens Noel told reporters his knee is feeling great and he’s still ahead of schedule in his rehab. He also said that the fact that five teams passed on him is his motivation to get up and work hard every morning.

All three former Cats had this advice for the new team:

Nerlens: “Establish your team chemistry early in the year and make sure a leader steps up. Come in the gym and work hard every day.”

Julius: “[They’ve got] all the talent in the world. I told them if they can all check their egos at the door, they’re gonna be real dangerous.”

Archie: “Listen to what Coach Cal says and not how he says it. Last year we had a couple guys get down when criticized.”

Welcome back, boys.

13 Comments for Nerlens, Archie, and Julius Mays talk about the new group of Cats

1. Lil c
    11:13 am July 29, 2013 Permalink

Great advise Nerlens, but kinda hard to do when all the recruits STILL AREN’T ON CAMPUS YET!!!!

2. LOL
    11:16 am July 29, 2013 Permalink

1. LOL. Jealous Troll.

3. Goodwin
    11:19 am July 29, 2013 Permalink

I really like Archie and am glad he was a cat. He gave it his all and I can’t wait to see him thrive in the NBA. Anyone who actually paid attention that knows Archie was NOT the problem last year.

4. Bobbum man
    11:27 am July 29, 2013 Permalink

Unrelated but did that Rozier kid from UL ever get eligible? I know he had to go to prep school and get his grades and his act score up an all that but I never did hear if he was gonna b good to go this year, and knowing UL fans they’re more concerned with the twins and young an probably dont even know

5. Ur an idiot
    11:28 am July 29, 2013 Permalink

1- advice* learn how to spell before trolling

6. The Problems
    11:44 am July 29, 2013 Permalink

I said it before and I’ll say it again, Ryan Harrow and Kyle Wiltjer was the problem last year. Harrow was weak and couldn’t run a team properly, and Kyle is just a spot up shooter who could work in the post but was very inconsistant and played absolutely no defense. Archie was never the problem. This years team is well above and beyond last years team already and should win the title, although if they make the elite 8 i wouldn’t be mad.

7. Hammer time
    11:47 am July 29, 2013 Permalink

4) Rozier is eligible and has been on campus for several weeks.

8. Bobbum man
    12:03 pm July 29, 2013 Permalink

7- thanks couldn’t remember hearin anything about him
    6- I agree harrow and wiljter were problems but I don’t think you can say Archie was NEVER the problem, his wreckless play at times was absolutely the problem although he did always play hard

9. Bobbum man
    12:04 pm July 29, 2013 Permalink

But I think we can all agree in Cals offense it all starts with the pg and harrow was the biggest problem of all last year

10. Philuk18
    12:47 pm July 29, 2013 Permalink

You hit the nail on the head I think. Archie was sometimes the problem. I think he almost tried too hard at times last season, he would get so desperate to make something happen that he would get reckless. But Harrow was clearly the biggest issue. I feel bad for the kid really. He wasn’t and never will be mentally prepared to play for a big time college program

11. LOL
    12:47 pm July 29, 2013 Permalink

Can someone send 4 to prep school?

12. Dano
    1:18 pm July 29, 2013 Permalink

10: so you are saying he should have gone to. Duh Ville?

13. Tim Kathlina
    1:35 pm July 29, 2013 Permalink

Forget last year, we are about to bring home #9! Awesome with a capital A!