So who is this Devin Booker guy?

who-is-booker

Coach Cal was in Mississippi Wednesday evening to see Devin Booker, a 2014 prospect from Moss Point High School. Booker received an offer from Cal during the visit, so who is this guy?

***********

DEVIN BOOKER
Shooting Guard
Moss Point, Mississippi
6’4” 180 lbs.

Rivals: No. 23 overall (4-star)
Scout: No. 23 overall, No. 3 point guard
ESPN: No. 19 overall, No. 2 shooting guard

Offers

Alabama, Arkansas, Duke, Florida, Michigan, Missouri, North Carolina, Ole Miss

Notable Visitors

Georgetown, Kansas, Kentucky, LSU, Michigan State, Mississippi State, Stanford, Tennessee

Scouting Report

Booker can shoot, catch-and-shoot, shoot off the pick-and-roll, dribble and shoot, shoot and shoot, and regular shoot after creating his own shot. Shoot, he is one of the better shooters in the 2014 high school class.

ESPN Recruiting says, “This is not your typical wing guard. Booker has a few things working in his favor. For starters, he’s been blessed with a unique feel for the game and a passion for his position. His basketball IQ is one of the first things you notice regarding his play.”

Unfair Comparison

The Curry brothers

YouTube Video With Electronic Hip-Hop Beat

Article written by Drew Franklin

65 Comments for So who is this Devin Booker guy?

1. Cards
    7:52 pm April 24, 2013 Permalink

I’m not trying to be a hater. But I think we’ll be better next year. Rozier can play the point. Russ> Harrison
    I’d take Blackshear over Poythress
    Chane>Randle because of experience
    You all do have the bench and center advantage tho.

2. Bourboncat
    7:58 pm April 24, 2013 Permalink

Great arc on the kids shot. Nice shooting touch

3. Rex
    8:00 pm April 24, 2013 Permalink

I think Smith/Harrison is a wash. Neither will stop the other.
    If Wiggins chooses UK that is a no brainer.
    Chane over Randle? What are you smoking?
    U of L will be very good next season but Kentucky’s talent
    is far superior. It just depends how they jell. I think
    they will do very well.

4. Boogie
    8:01 pm April 24, 2013 Permalink

If you think Chane Behanan is better than Julius Randle…..wow…Im speechless. Poythress will be 2nd or 3rd off the bench so I don’t know why you compared a starter to him. The only argument that can be entertained is Russ Smith guarding Aaron Harrison. If Russ Smith can play under control and learn to run the point he could see minutes in the NBA. But small 2 guards are much too easy to find.

5. KSR Groupie
    8:03 pm April 24, 2013 Permalink

Drew, you witty sum bich. “Electronic hip-hop beat” makes me laugh. Well done. It’s the small things that prolly make you laugh that you hope one cool guy will hopefully notice. Well my friend, I,m that guy.

6. Cards
    8:03 pm April 24, 2013 Permalink

3. I’m just saying Randle will have his hands full with Chane. Luke’s coming back to.

7. Cards
    8:04 pm April 24, 2013 Permalink

4. Poythress will start next year.

8. Elton John
    8:04 pm April 24, 2013 Permalink

“He wears his war wound like a crown, he calls his child Jesus, cause he likes the name, WHAT….? Never Mind!”

9. JKUK
    8:05 pm April 24, 2013 Permalink

Doran Lamb-like

10. JKUK
    8:06 pm April 24, 2013 Permalink

@7 If he plays well enough to start over Young or Wiggins, you better watch out.

11. Jacob
    8:07 pm April 24, 2013 Permalink

I will take Aaron Harrison any day over Russ Smith. Really????!!!!!!!

12. HilljakLinbeard
    8:07 pm April 24, 2013 Permalink

This kid looks like DLamb, I like it, I’ll take it for 2-3 years and be very happy.

13. Cards
    8:08 pm April 24, 2013 Permalink

10. I’m saying he’s starting as of right now. You cats fan just can’t take the truth. Back to back!!

14. Boogie
    8:10 pm April 24, 2013 Permalink

@7. When you have 9 starters one one team, who knows who will start. A Louisville fan with nothing better to do certainly can’t predict a starting line up. Cal doesn’t even know who’s going to start.

15. JKUK
    8:10 pm April 24, 2013 Permalink

@13 I know UofL will be very good next year. But I also know UK will be better. That’s the truth.

16. Smart Person
    8:13 pm April 24, 2013 Permalink

Point 1) That kid can shoot everything except the dunk shot.
    Point 2)That is more jump shooting than all internet high school prospect videos combined for the class of ’14

17. Cards
    8:13 pm April 24, 2013 Permalink

14. Shut up. That would be your starting line up. December 28 is gonna be a fun day.

18. Civilized Wildcat fan
    8:16 pm April 24, 2013 Permalink

1. Louisville will be a force to reckon with, but I feel like the Harrisons have an advantage with their size. Chane and Randle will be an interesting matchup, but once again, size. Randle also has a “hulk” mentality that Terrence Jones displayed, and maybe even more. James Young will start at SF over Poythress, unless Poythress catches a constant fire.

Regarding Devin Booker, does this mean we might lose out on Tyus Jones? Although, Booker doesn’t seem like a 1-and-done player, but still a very talented player. I hope he comes along with Karl Townes!! I also hope we land Jahlil Okafor…

19. Cards
    8:18 pm April 24, 2013 Permalink

18. Agreed completely. Randle scares me on how good he can be. 😰

20. Eric K
    8:19 pm April 24, 2013 Permalink

#17 yea it will be a fun day for THE BBN, cause THE CATS are running the trash/turds out of RUPP and back up I-64 on Dec. 28th! GO CATS!!

21. Boogie
    8:20 pm April 24, 2013 Permalink

Uhhh…what’s our starting lineup? you’ve mentioned one player….typical cards fan doesn’t even know how many players are on the floor

22. Cards
    8:21 pm April 24, 2013 Permalink

20. Thank you for that.

23. Eric K
    8:23 pm April 24, 2013 Permalink

#22 your welcome…. CATS by 20 on Dec. 28th! GO CATS!!

24. Cards
    8:23 pm April 24, 2013 Permalink

Your starting line up will be:
    Pg- Harrison> rozier
    Sg – Harrison< smith
    Sf- ap= Behanen
    C- wcs> whoever.

25. Cards
    8:23 pm April 24, 2013 Permalink

23. My actual prediction ky by 11.

26. tdogg40330
    8:25 pm April 24, 2013 Permalink

24) its just 4 on 4 now??

27. L1C4 is LAME
    8:25 pm April 24, 2013 Permalink

Chane over Randle? Dont c that happening. And Luke is a scrub, worse player to ever win mop. Tells u somethin bout 12/13 season dont it?

28. Cards
    8:26 pm April 24, 2013 Permalink

I’m sorry I’m an idiot 26.
    Randle>= Behanen
    Ap< Blackshear

29. Cards
    8:27 pm April 24, 2013 Permalink

27. Luke is the reason we won the championship game hit big threes if you don’t remember.

30. Boogie
    8:29 pm April 24, 2013 Permalink

@24. Almost there kid…you got 4 players…so close!!

31. Cards
    8:32 pm April 24, 2013 Permalink

Pg – Harrison> rozier
    Sg- Harrison< smith
    Sf- Ap= Chane
    C- wcs> anybody
    Better?

32. Not aDeck
    8:32 pm April 24, 2013 Permalink

If you think Blackshear>Poythress then you need to have your head checked.

33. C.J
    8:32 pm April 24, 2013 Permalink

Looks like another smooth player i.e Doron Lamb #2. Sweet stroke dont dunk a lot. Can shoot off the dribble and behind the perimeter.

34. Cards
    8:33 pm April 24, 2013 Permalink

Ok I know I typed that one right KSR is messing with me!!

35. Bobby
    8:33 pm April 24, 2013 Permalink

And he also averaged 9 points up until the last 2 games. He had 2 good games and now he is a God. Please.

36. Cards
    8:33 pm April 24, 2013 Permalink

32. Poythress was awful this year. Behanen is solid.

37. M
    8:34 pm April 24, 2013 Permalink

#22) The good news is it’s all talk until they play the game. I think losing Dieng is big. UK will have a huge size advantage. I have a feeling UK will be just fine in this game, but we’ll have to watch it play out. Behanan is a nice player with a good motor. Randle is a beast and top 3 draft pick. Andrew Harrison has a great handle and will be a top 10 pick. I don’t know enough about Rozier honestly. Sure he’s got a nice game. Haven’t heard much about his NBA potential. I’ll give you Smith over Aaron, but only because Smith is proven. Harrison will do fine on Smith. If he doesn’t I think James Young can d up on him. James Young is going to be a stud on defense. Where’s the Cards size? Who stops WCS or Dakari? What if one of your players gets in foul trouble on the road with their grabbing? UK won’t miss much if this happens. Harrison, Harrison, Young, Poythress, Randle, WCS,Johnson, Lee, Wiltjer, and maybe Wiggins….This year’s squad..Noel, Wiltjer, Poythress, Goodwin, Harrow, Mays, WCS, Jon Hood, and Polson and a 3 point loss at Louisville….

38. Eric K
    8:34 pm April 24, 2013 Permalink

Don’t matter who loserville starts/plays…….. THE CATS cover every spot! GO CATS!!

39. Weightloss Jason
    8:38 pm April 24, 2013 Permalink

Deangelo Russell is way better!

40. Not aDeck
    8:40 pm April 24, 2013 Permalink

You say Poythress was awful BUT as freshman he averaged 12 and 6 compared(25 minutes) to your boy Blackshear(20 min) at 7 and 3. Gve Blackshear 9 points and 4 rebounds in the same amount of minutes. So if Poythress was awful your boy was POOP.

41. L1C4 is LAME
    8:40 pm April 24, 2013 Permalink

I repeat Luke is a scrub. Worse player to EVER get mop!!!

42. GoCats7
    8:46 pm April 24, 2013 Permalink

#1) Russ came back expecting to play more point…he won’t be a 2 next year he’ll be running it from the point.

43. TylerK
    8:50 pm April 24, 2013 Permalink

What was ULs biggest advantage over EVERY team last season? Their ability to wear teams down with their press and forcing turnovers in games. They didn’t always have match-up and they weren’t always the best team for the whole 40 min (looking at you Wichita St.), but the last 5 minutes was a struggle for teams not used to constant pressure. They WILL NOT have this advantage over UK next year. We have the best 6’5″ 195lb ball handler in the nation and there’s 2 of them, plus a DEEEEEEP bench to go toe-to-toe with ULs press. Good luck pressing that next year! Not to mention the huge size advantage down low. UL will be a great team, but UK COULD (huge emphasis on COULD) be the best college basketball team in the past 10 years next season.

44. Dude??
    8:50 pm April 24, 2013 Permalink

I would much rather have had Dieng or Siva back over Russ Smith any day. These Card fans that are shrugging the loss of those two off like no big thing are idiots. The whole game ran through Siva and Dieng was a defensive freak who could erase others’ mistakes. No way the Cards stay within 10 of the Cats next year and thats generous.

45. steve c
    8:52 pm April 24, 2013 Permalink

If you compare Poythress Freshman #’s to Mashburns they are almost identical.We tend to expect too much. Uavel will have a nice team, but 2014 will be the year officer the Wildcat.

46. williamtitan
    9:02 pm April 24, 2013 Permalink

he shoots like john jenkins… scary…

47. Bobbum man
    9:09 pm April 24, 2013 Permalink

Yeah…. But will there still be room for wiggins?

48. NL
    9:34 pm April 24, 2013 Permalink

D Lamb? I like the shooting

49. BigT
    9:40 pm April 24, 2013 Permalink

My best friend lives next door to the bookers. And has joked hed be a future cat for a while. Ive told him I expect now that he has an offer he should be able to take it from there

50. Bobbum man
    9:44 pm April 24, 2013 Permalink

^^^ Lenny???

51. CATandMONKEY
    9:46 pm April 24, 2013 Permalink

46… But John Short wants to know: Can he throw like Randy Jenkins?

52. kycatman
    10:24 pm April 24, 2013 Permalink

My my my how soon we forget!! All of you Card Fans on here have already forgot that you only won by 3 points last year and granted, you did win the NT but come on guys, your coming off a NT year and are expecting another National Title run simply because Russ Smith is returning!!! What u Crazy?? Luvall will be good but not that damn good, just wait. If you had a returning PG then maybe just maybe you would be good but you don’t so why are yall so excited!! And to think that Chane Behanan is a better player than Julius Randle!! Man r u bunch delusional or what?!?!? Randle is sooo much more of a stud than Behanan it ain’t even funny. Have any of u actually watched Randle in these past high school allstar games. Let me just say that he is an absolute beast and will prove is play next year. I can’t wait until Dec.28th
    Go Cats!!!!!!!! Go Cal!!!!!!!!

53. mudcreekmark
    10:30 pm April 24, 2013 Permalink

I have never seen this kid play so just judging by these highlights here are my thoughts. His shot is not what I’d call Doron Lamb like. His form is far from perfect and it seems like it takes some time to get it off. He seems slow and unathletic to me. Never showed him dunking. Seems like he shoots layups well. They sure showed enough of those.

54. Damnit
    10:32 pm April 24, 2013 Permalink

Looks like a Duke guy. Just like Tyus Jones and Jahlil Okafor

55. Bluieville
    11:28 pm April 24, 2013 Permalink

“His Basketball IQ is one of the he first things you notice.” “He has a passion for his position.”

56. CatWalk
    11:33 pm April 24, 2013 Permalink

Why is the UL troll trying to debate who’s going to be better next year? UL will be good next year but I wasn’t even aware there was an argument as to who will be a better team. Much less who’s more talented at each position. Really, Chane over Randle? Seriously? I’d love to know who takes Chane over Randle outside of the UL fan base. Here’s a heads up for the UL fans trolling our board. Next year isn’t going to be a down year for college basketball and it sure as hell isn’t going to be a down year for UK. Yes UL won this year and all congrat’s to u for it but u might want to curb the repeat talk. At least do yourself a favor and bite ur tongue about coming into Rupp and beating us. Talking shit from now until we play is going to make for a tough few weeks after we beat the absolute shit out of you. Take a page from Kevin Ware and play the quite reserved role. People can actually stand you when u follow his lead.

57. andrew
    11:44 pm April 24, 2013 Permalink

Doron Lamb anyone?

58. BlueRedNeck
    7:30 am April 25, 2013 Permalink

Well, I’ll at least say this – our guest Card fan at least seems to have some manners, unlike some of the other mouth breathing trolls that have shown up lately. I think Randle definitely has the upper hand over Behanan on paper, but Behanan is a good player and has the benefit of 2 FF’s experience. That being said, for an early season game like this I don’t think the experience factor is quite as big.

RE Russ versus Harrison, once again Russ has the advantage in experience and probably quickness, but he is going to find it tough to get a lot of shots off with all of UK’s length. In 2012 he did score a lot of points, but he had the benefit of Siva feeding him assists.

My early take is that the Cards will put up a fight, but the Cats will have way too much depth and talent for them to overcome. Way to early to say how well these kids will gel, but keep in mind that the Harrisons have been playing together their whole lives, and Randle has played with them at the AAU level off and on since the age of 9.

59. blackhawk509
    10:16 am April 25, 2013 Permalink

Facts 101: Refs who won’t call check fouls…advantage Tards.

60. Not a scout
    11:06 am April 25, 2013 Permalink

57, he does remind me of Doron Lamb. I’m no scout, but I don’t like the form on his jump shot. He really pushes the ball up and his shot starts out way in fron of his body. That will be ripped from him on the college level, but of course, always trust in Cal.

61. Teachable Mo'
    11:42 am April 25, 2013 Permalink

He has a bit of an old-fashioned push shot when he shoots the 3: the ball comes off the base of his hand. Most players these days have more finger tips in their shot.

I have no idea which is better.

62. Teachable Mo'
    11:43 am April 25, 2013 Permalink

#60 noticed it too. (I should read the comments before posting.)

63. Shannon
    2:10 pm April 25, 2013 Permalink

#1 I definitely wouldn’t take Chane over Randle and as far as Russ over Harrison goes(which Harrison?), that remains to be seen.The Harrisons’ certainly lack college experience, although they are extremely talented.Still like UK over UL next year though and it should be a dandy game.Oh, Blackshear may well take Poythress cause Alex might not even show up to play. Our bench will be great next year, and it may well be the difference in the game.

64. Neil A
    2:14 am April 27, 2013 Permalink

Why is anyone comparing Poythress with Blackshear at the SF?
    It will be Wiggins at the SF for the Cats and the conversation is over.

65. Neil A
    2:25 am April 27, 2013 Permalink

#58 HAVE YOU SEEN RANDLE PLAY AT ALL? PROJECTED #2-3 PICK IN THE NBA DRAFT. BEHANNON IS A GOOD SOLID PLAYER BUT RANDLE IS A LOAD!
    SMITH IS IRRELEVANT, THE DRIVE THRU LANE IS CLOSED IN 2013-14.