So, Tennessee, What Have You Been Doing?

These lovely UK Fans of the Day want to know what Tennessee has been up to since we beat them 75-65 in Rupp Arena. Due to a new personal initiative to give the people what they want, we’re going to take a look at that now as we ask “So, Tennessee, What Have You Been Doing?”

When I attempt to write about a team I don’t follow closely, I always like to involve their fans. Nobody has stronger feelings about a team than their fans. I like to check in with them to get a feel for the pulse of the program. Earlier, I did exactly that.

These are some of the responses:

@HarrisCHaworth1: grueling, Aaron. Grueling.

@TheRileyFactor1: It was just a little white lie.. Didn’t hurt no one. #WeMissPearl

@GiveHimSix1987: JP Prince taught McBee how to shoot three’s in the off season.

@allisonmholt:  Short answer: depressing to the point of unwatchable and I watch EVERYTHING.

@ClayLehning: We got a new football coach.

So… not the best season in Knoxville, eh? Tennessee is 264th nationally in scoring at 63.7 points per game and 319th in assists at 10.3 per game. No wonder their fans are frustrated.

If you thought the fans above were frustrated, it gets worse. When the twitter buzz died down, I checked my email to see if any Tennessee fans had responded there. One certainly had. My friend Wes had written a long email, all of which I cannot share due to some of the vocabulary words he used, but I’ll hit the highlights.

Wes writes:

“I saw your tweet, so I thought I’d opine on this:

*Losing Maymon hurt us….BAD.

*Not having a “true” PG is killing us.  All teams should press us, because we turn the ball over a lot.

*Kenny Hall does nothing but take up space and drive with a suspended license.

*UT is TERRIBLE from beyond the arc.

*Is Cuonzo our guy?  I think he’s a good motivator and gets them to play their asses off on D. However, I’m very skeptical of his offensive coaching.

-Wes

P.S. I’ve got to hate on Skylar McBee for second.  When you are short and bring very little to the table athletically, I believe that I have the right to expect at least 40% from three point range.  In 4 years he has not averaged over 40% in one season.  Every single offseason I hear all the sunshine pumpers say, “Man, Skylar is lighting it up in the gym this summer.”  So, every year I expect him to turn the corner.  Does it happen. NO. NO. NO.”

I love the term “sunshine pumpers”, and I love how instead of going back up and adding another bullet point about McBee that he settled for using a P.S. to voice his displeasure. Skylar McBee: Not even worth a bullet point in an email of frustration.

Despite the frustration of the Vol fan base and starting the SEC season 0-3, Tennessee has fought back to win 5 out of 8 since then to bring their SEC record to 5-6. Since we last Knew Our Enemy, let’s take a look at what Tennessee has been doing.

*Mississippi State (home)– WIN. Tennessee took care of business at home against one of the worst teams in college basketball by a score of 72-57.

*Ole Miss (away)- LOSS. This was a game Tennessee actually had a chance to win late. However, they did not win it late. They lost it 62-56.

*Alabama (home)- WIN. A bit of a controversial finish in this game as Trevor Lacey appeared to be fouled on a last second shot only there was no whistle. Without a whistle there is no foul, and Tennessee escaped 54-53.

*Vandy (home)- WIN. Tennessee escapes Thompson Boling for the second game in a row in a one point 58-57 win. Kentucky beat Vandy by 2, so we’re obviously better.

*Arkansas (away)– LOSS. Bud Walton Arena is proving to be a formidable place to play during the SEC season. Arkansas remains undefeated at home in SEC play, so there’s not much shame in this 73-60 defeat.

*Georgia (home)- LOSS. When you are a so and so team in a bad league, you have to beat other so and so teams at home. The Vols failed to do that in this game as they lost 68-62 to the Bulldogs.

*South Carolina (away)- WIN. When you are a so and so team in a bad league, you have to beat horrible teams anywhere you play them. Tennessee did that in blowing out the Gamecocks 66-61.

*Vandy (away)– WIN. Remember what I said earlier about us being better than Tennessee because we beat Vandy by 2. Disregard that. The Vols beat Vandy 58-46 in Memorial Gym Wednesday night.

This is a huge game for the Cats. I know it, you know it, the players know it. Kentucky is a 1.5 point favorite in Knoxville but I feel like this game is a complete toss up. Without Noel, our defense will be extremely vulnerable as our guards get beat repeatedly off the dribble only to be bailed out by a Nerlens block or shot change.  Hopefully Nerlens’ injury was a wake up call and the Cats pull together and make the most of the rest of this up and down season. Go Big Blue.

@AFlenerKSR

Article written by Aaron Flener

John, I was first team All-State. I can put the ball anywhere I want to. I'll make it rain out here.

33 Comments for So, Tennessee, What Have You Been Doing?

1. Big Blue Fan
    9:32 pm February 15, 2013 Permalink

Swing

2. Bottom Line
    9:36 pm February 15, 2013 Permalink

Even without Noel, we still have the following burger boys:

Harrow
    Goodwin
    Poythress
    Wiltjer

Also have STein, who is projected in the first round of almost every mock draft. Plus, we have a solid transfer. Hood was a top 50 player, who was not developed.

This team has more talent than a bunch of teams that are NCAAT bound. If Cal does not make the dance, it will be an epic fail.

3. Ukfan
    9:40 pm February 15, 2013 Permalink

How come no mention on this site of Anthony Davis and MKG playing on same floor right now in the rising stars all star game as well as Eric Bledsoe participating in the dunk contest tmrw?

4. MJ23
    9:44 pm February 15, 2013 Permalink

Speaking of MKG, he recently stated that he played Jordan one on one and was trying his best. He said MJ absolutely abused him. Jordan is still the man.

5. Big Blue Fan
    9:51 pm February 15, 2013 Permalink

#2. Didn’t know being a burger boy made you great. I was looking out of UNC Burger boys since 2005 only 3 of those were drafted 1st round and Tyler Zeller was the only really good player out of the bunch. So what is missing with all of UK burger boys? Wiltjer UN-athletic slow white guy who didn’t play much last year. Harrow weighs a 150 and 2 Freshman that has 0 experience besides this year. Just because your a burger boy doesn’t mean you automatically become a great player. Problem with Cal’s players are leaving to be drafted late first round or even second round while most of the schools are keeping those players. Teague and Lamb should have stayed. Other players like this are staying for other teams.

6. Big Blue Fan
    9:54 pm February 15, 2013 Permalink

Teague – 29th pick (should have stayed)
    Lamb- 42nd pick should have stayed
    Liggins- 53 pick should have stayed (to be fair had some money issues though)
    Orton- 29th should have stayed

Most other schools are keeping Fresh or players that are going to be drafted at these picks. That is the biggest difference

7. Take it easy!
    10:00 pm February 15, 2013 Permalink

@4 Nah…MKG is just being modest out of respect..

8. i agree with big blue fan
    10:05 pm February 15, 2013 Permalink

Yay one and dones!! How many one and done’s will be playing in the D-League All-Star game? These guys are going pro, but probably won’t be staying pro very long.

9. Sean
    10:07 pm February 15, 2013 Permalink

Is that Megan Calipari? Looks like her on the right.

10. WGY944
    10:16 pm February 15, 2013 Permalink

#9, nope….that’s Elaine Benes.

11. CATandMONKEY
    10:23 pm February 15, 2013 Permalink

It is a fine thing to be able to post photos of.our own fans, as opposed to coeds from Alabama and South Carolina…and…..we probably could use a comparison post.

Looking forward to Skylar letters from the battlefield. His unit has suffered some humiliating defeats, even, it appears , to “friendly fire”.

12. Matt from Idaho
    10:24 pm February 15, 2013 Permalink

Is that girl on the left real?

13. Sean
    10:25 pm February 15, 2013 Permalink

#10: LOL from Seinfeld?? You’re a special kind of moron, aren’t you. That’s sweet.

14. Beepthacreep
    10:26 pm February 15, 2013 Permalink

#10 lol you are wrong. It’s not Megan calipari either but this chick is about 30 years younger than benes

15. GroperDoper
    10:27 pm February 15, 2013 Permalink

I think that is Megan, #9. If not it sure looks a hell of a lot like her. Same curly hair and smile.

16. TNT
    10:30 pm February 15, 2013 Permalink

Davis, mkg, b knight r all on the floor in the rising star all star game on TNT right now

17. Splitrock
    10:30 pm February 15, 2013 Permalink

Who is better looking ya’ll? Megan or Erin Calipari?

18. Delete me?
    10:32 pm February 15, 2013 Permalink

Ok let me post this again…when was the last time we were worried about losing to UT? 1.5 fav…seriously are we that bad, post NN?

19. Jet
    10:37 pm February 15, 2013 Permalink

First. I haven’t missed watching a UK game since I can remember. I can’t believe how much credit we give to WCS. For his size he is unable to create his own shot. He consistently gets out rebounded by guys 2 feet shorter. Has maybe 2 blocks for the entire season. And his only baskets/points are wide open dunks. His free throw %, wow. The fact that draft experts have him going in the first round shows the quality of this years draft class. I like him as a person but as a player he is this years eloy Vargas.

20. John Ellis
    10:39 pm February 15, 2013 Permalink

I don’t think it is probable, but this could become a better team. Not because of Noel’s absence but because they rarely played for long periods as a team so far, no fault of his. Without him to clean up after them, they either have to grow up or have an embarrassing end to the season. Poythress who will be a big star is also going back to his home state of Tenn.. Now usually as with Mercer when that happens he can count on getting mugged (Mercer’s injury at UT eventually cost UK the championship repeat). So he either will man up to it or we’ll see you on the bench next year at UK (or the developmental league). And Archie either lifts his head and watches the game or he’ll be on the bench with five charges – the SEC ref way to give the home team a leg up, a la Florida. By the way without those charge calls – all of them fraudulent to me – that game was tight. Those changed the game completely.

21. GoUK
    10:49 pm February 15, 2013 Permalink

That ABSOLUTELY is Megan Calipari!! I would recognize that face anywhere. And it looks like the seats she occasionally sits in with her company. I don’t know who the blond it though. I’d like too!! But rest assured folks, THAT IS MEGAN!

22. ashtonsteph
    11:01 pm February 15, 2013 Permalink

If you click on the pic, it says ashtonsteph…Stephanie Ashton, may be?

23. SeoulCat
    2:15 am February 16, 2013 Permalink

#13 and jokes are lost on you, aren’t they?

24. Big Al.
    8:53 am February 16, 2013 Permalink

Those two girls are from Barren County !!!

25. kentuckyrules
    9:13 am February 16, 2013 Permalink

OK, OK…these are the girls, I swear (based on the ashtonsteph part of the pic) …I’m not a perv, I swear:

🙂

26. kentuckyrules
    9:18 am February 16, 2013 Permalink

Both have twitter accounts that need some BBN (man) love …jk guys, don’t creep them out.

27. ksr fan
    9:48 am February 16, 2013 Permalink

Both girls are beautiful, but the blonde is unbelievable!

28. Dwight Blue
    10:36 am February 16, 2013 Permalink

Let’s see we have a shooting guard that can’t shoot. A point guard that can’t pass. A power forward that is to slow to defend. A combo small forward that hate inside contact. Yet coach Cal. still manages to keep them looking much better than they really are. I’ve been a fan for sixty years and he’s the best coach when it comes to having fun and making adjustment with what he’s got to deal with I’ve ever witness.

29. Hal Mumme Jr
    10:46 am February 16, 2013 Permalink

That blonde is one good looking bitch

30. WGY944
    11:30 am February 16, 2013 Permalink

#23, thanks. Some (make that most) people have absolutely no idea when a post is a joke or sarcasm. It’s little wonder the state of this country when so many can be so easily manipulated.

31. Seriously
    12:51 pm February 16, 2013 Permalink

WGY944 – half the people on here only recognize officially sanctioned KSR joke topics like Poop Tooth and Fake Barney. They are the same ones who complain about wasting their lives reading the Bachelor live blogs.

32. UK Big Daddy
    3:18 pm February 16, 2013 Permalink

The brunette is a knock-out! I wish I had a seat right next to her.

33. Robert
    4:03 pm February 16, 2013 Permalink

Both girls are fine but diggin that brunette.