So Now How About West Virginia?

screen-shot-2011-07-05-at-105526-pm

Tonight the SEC Presidents are apparently voting on whether to officially invite Texas A&M into the Land of Opportunity, aka the SEC. That vote is expected to be a formality, but it leads to the inevitable question, who is next? While many teams have been bounced around. CBSSports.com’s Dennis Dodd says this evening that Missouri and West Virginia are the two early favorites for the SEC’s 14th spot. According to Dodd, no decision has been made, but these two programs are leading the current discussion.

We have already talked a great deal about the pros and cons for adding Missouri, but now what about West Virginia? If we assume that the Mountaineers would be in the SEC East, West Virginia would likely become a yearly opponent for Kentucky in the league. I actually think this isn’t the worst scenario for UK as West Virginia would likely recruit at a similar level to Kentucky and would be beatable on a yearly basis. West Virginia is a better program than UK right now, but all of the structural barriers that I often talk about concerning UK success in the SEC also exist for the Mountaineers. Simply put, West Virginia would be a good measuring stick for whether UK is living up to its promise in SEC football. If they join the league and have more success, with similar structural impediments, then it is clear UK needs to up its game quite a bit.

And in basketball, you have Huggy Bear. So what do we think? Do we like WVU as a 14th member? If they were to join along with say, Virginia Tech and Missouri, would UK have a better chance in football than before? Food for thought, while we all try to think of ways to hit on mountain mamas in the future…

Article written by Matt Jones

70 Comments for So Now How About West Virginia?

1. Dr. Poop
    7:52 pm September 6, 2011 Permalink

The entire state of West Virginia can go fist itself.

2. serdi
    7:55 pm September 6, 2011 Permalink

Think WVU would be good addition. They bring in the Pittsburgh and Roanoke TV markets and they care about basketball.

3. BFrey
    7:58 pm September 6, 2011 Permalink

Would be great to have them. Be careful with games in Mo-town however. Not for the faint hearted.

4. yitbos
    8:01 pm September 6, 2011 Permalink

I’d be all for it. Then when I visit the parents who now live in WVA, I can talk shit. All they care about now is WV and Va Tech

5. bung
    8:02 pm September 6, 2011 Permalink

kick out ark and sc and go back to ten teams

6. Czar of Daycares
    8:02 pm September 6, 2011 Permalink

Would be interested to see if WVU could start pulling better Ohio/PA/Mid Atlantic kids if they had the SEC label attachment. I wouldn’t mind having them for both sports.

7. Jonah Hex
    8:02 pm September 6, 2011 Permalink

No, this should be like the 5th or 6th option. Mark my words…The SEC is going to get left behind in this Super Conference deal. The PAC 12(or PAC 134 whatever it becomes) is going to dominate football. Adding A&M doesnt do much, adding WVU really doesnt do anything. WVU is a crappy campus, in a crappy town, in a crappy state. Plus it has nothing or no relation to the South. When you compare to what the PAC 12 is going to add.

Geez, The SEC will be the second Lost Cause of the South.

8. Ricky Ledo
    8:03 pm September 6, 2011 Permalink

Do the girls give special treats to the recruits like at Providence?

9. travis
    8:08 pm September 6, 2011 Permalink

7. I doubt West Virginia’s campus sucks, it was the #1 party school a few years back.

10. anthonyeppsdrivingschool
    8:08 pm September 6, 2011 Permalink

@7, False! The SEC will not get left out of the Super COnference deal, due to the fact that the SEC is already a Super Conference. FACT!

11. kd
    8:08 pm September 6, 2011 Permalink

Looking like that hell yea!

12. Big Blue 66
    8:09 pm September 6, 2011 Permalink

Good additions and I love taking a Big East school…….will be the start of a panic attack in the Big East and I cant wait to watch that conference splitter and some of their schools start running for an opportunity…..if there are any for them

13. echo 1
    8:09 pm September 6, 2011 Permalink

No one from West Virginia looks like that. No one.

14. arlie
    8:11 pm September 6, 2011 Permalink

we need the 10 team round robin back for basketball

15. echo 1
    8:12 pm September 6, 2011 Permalink

Oh, and the Wonderful Whites of West Virginia attended WVU. Nuff said.

16. Lex08
    8:16 pm September 6, 2011 Permalink

West Virginia would be a really good addition to the SEC East. It would be a natural rival. But they would beat us in football every year and spiral us farther into football depression. The basketball games would be good, though.

17. Big Blue 66
    8:17 pm September 6, 2011 Permalink

7. You on smoking something, I mean in football if the Pac whatever they are add OK and Texas, obviously they will 5 or 6 major major programs, but the SEC already has that. And there will be 4 super conferences, the Pac whatever, the SEC, probably the Big 10 and someother left over conference. Everyone else will be scrambling. I was North Carolina, Miami, Florida State and a few others, I would be looking for a deal fast

18. Axe Cop
    8:17 pm September 6, 2011 Permalink

WV has the worst fan base in college. Buncha savages. I hope they stay in the Big East.

19. Jimmy Buffett
    8:18 pm September 6, 2011 Permalink

Great! WVU and Mizzou; two more games we can’t win.

I guess eventually we’ll get tired of losing games and get serious about hiring a coach.

20. heavensgate
    8:20 pm September 6, 2011 Permalink

Nah, better to go with Va Tech. Comparable in bball and football. Fans much much classier.

21. Wild & Wonderful
    8:26 pm September 6, 2011 Permalink

What’s Jessco White’s opinion? That’s where I stand.

22. BigBlueSkyDog
    8:27 pm September 6, 2011 Permalink

I’d rather have Va Tech. But if stealing WVA will screw the Big East out of a BCS bid, then I could be convinced.

23. tyrus
    8:30 pm September 6, 2011 Permalink

Perfect match. Plus I’ve always liked Huggins.

24. Mountaincat
    8:33 pm September 6, 2011 Permalink

20. You ever been to a va tech game? Their fans are brutal there. I am a uk grad and was raised a mountaineer, and I can honestly say wvu fans aren’t as bad as people say. 99% of people that say that stuff have never been to a game in Motown. The students can be rough sometimes, but for the most part everyone is pretty civil. I can confirm the girls are NOT SEC caliber there, however.

25. Mountaincat
    8:35 pm September 6, 2011 Permalink

20. You ever been to a va tech game? Their fans are brutal. I am a uk grad and was raised a mountaineer, and I can honestly say wvu fans aren’t as bad as people say. 99% of people that say that stuff have never been to a game in Motown. The students can be rough sometimes, but for the most part everyone is pretty civil. I can confirm the girls are NOT SEC caliber there, however.

26. GODSAZNO
    8:38 pm September 6, 2011 Permalink

Vote no, because WVU has not shot at winning any academic championships.

27. Big Blue 66
    8:39 pm September 6, 2011 Permalink

The Big 10 will need to add 4 more also, they will poach the Big East. If Notre Dame had any sense at all they would join the Big 10 in both bball and football. Their NBC deal wont last forever and they will be out due to their program dropping significantly. Pitt would be another possibility for the Big 10, and if I were Louisville I would already be on the phone trying to talk them into taking me.

28. mike
    8:39 pm September 6, 2011 Permalink

Personally, I’d love to add Clemson…..I have some friends who are Clemson fans so I’d love to add them to our conference. Plus, Spurrier would hate to have Clemson in their conference and anything Spurrier is against……I’m for

29. Charles
    8:39 pm September 6, 2011 Permalink

PLEASE NEVER refer to the SEC as the Land of oppurtunity….That is the one time motto of arkansas

30. Jonah Hex
    8:41 pm September 6, 2011 Permalink

Yes I’ve been to campus many times, its dreadful. If we don’t get better schools and programs than WVU next, we are making a mistake. Keep thinking that we will always be king and we will revisit this conversation again in a few years.

I guess I am one of the few that have actually spent time on that campus but everything about it is dreadful. Our own stupid pride is going to keep us from getting the best fits for the SEC. WVU IS NOT it.

31. bob1378
    8:44 pm September 6, 2011 Permalink

#1, absolutely hilarious my friend.

32. Mountaincat
    8:47 pm September 6, 2011 Permalink

30. I’ve spent a ton on time on campus at wvu…not that bad. Ever been to Fayetteville, arkansas? Or starkville, Mississippi? Athens, auburn, and gainesville aren’t much to write home about either.

33. Bret Michaels
    8:49 pm September 6, 2011 Permalink

Rock of Love bus once pulled into Morgantown. I didn’t get out.

34. football fan
    8:52 pm September 6, 2011 Permalink

I really don’t think the rest of the conference cares all that much about what we as Kentucky fans think about the additions to the conference. The SEC is a football conference and we are a basketball school.

35. Han
    8:52 pm September 6, 2011 Permalink

7) And how many of the last 5 Football Championships has the existing SEC won against anyone and everyone the PAC can add? Oh yeah, 5. Dominate schmominate.

36. Big Blue 66
    8:55 pm September 6, 2011 Permalink

Jonah Hex, who would you add? I mean the Missouri deal would bring good fball, good bball and quality academic school and the St louis / KC market, While I dont think WV is a knock out home run, they would bring decent fball, good bball and a big fan base that is very similar to many teams in the SEC, and regardless of VT having good football, no way do they bring the size of the fanbase as WV. Remember too, that you dont just get to pick who you want, they have to be interested so you can eliminate current pac 10, current big 10 schools and remember the goal is adding fanbase and geography for a TV deal….whose left that would be a home run?

37. kentuckyfan
    9:01 pm September 6, 2011 Permalink

Sorry Matt, but your inability to judge the UK program continues to amaze me. UK’s football program is a tier or two or even three below the WVU program. UK is similar to WKU, Central Michigan and many other low level mid majors. Beating WVU would be a once in a generation type thing. UK’s football program is awful and will continue to be awful until they hire a real coach who can recruit and I mean someone who has real division 1 coaching experience, unlike the individual who is now coaching the UK program.

38. Really?
    9:01 pm September 6, 2011 Permalink

#32, you just lost all credibility by stating Athens, GA isn’t much to write home about. one of the best places to visit in the entire conference.

39. kfund
    9:14 pm September 6, 2011 Permalink

The state of West Virginia was specifically created to not have anything to do with the south.

VA tech would be great.
    Clemson, Florida State, or GA Tech to add in state rivals a la Alabama-Auburn. Could add the second best basketball team in KY … wait for it … Murray State (sorry Rick).

40. Mack
    9:14 pm September 6, 2011 Permalink

Huggy bear and Calipari twice a year, that would be fun. You know maybe Coach will have a chance to beat Huggy at least once a year.

41. Yesterdays
    9:19 pm September 6, 2011 Permalink

37- Central Michigan? Really. WVU is probably a better program because of their recent success. I agree with the point that we can use them as a measuring stick for where we are at. From a resource perspective, we are similar to WV and they dont produce a huge amount of in-state talent. Just like KY. T

42. Ned Chase
    9:21 pm September 6, 2011 Permalink

I’d say that WV is at least a notch or two above UK in Football. That’s without the SEC money. Put them in the SEC east and they will beat us most years.

43. Alf
    9:22 pm September 6, 2011 Permalink

No, this would be terrible. Would much rather a Florida State, Clemson, and I am totally unsure of who the 16th member would be. Please not Missouri, not sure who else though.

44. Doogie Howser, M.D.
    9:31 pm September 6, 2011 Permalink

Went to UK for undergrad, WVU for medical school. WVU campus is pretty crappy most of the year, dirty and/or snowy. Large jersey shore-type student body (cheaper for jersey residents to go to WVU than most jersey in-state school). Fans are rabid die-hards and students are generally looking for a good fist fight after games as opposed to a hand to shake. Ladies are average. Culturally do not fit in SEC, but all there fans would LOVE to take a crack at the league (still have to hear about the sugar bowl beatdown of Georgia). Oliver Luck (Andrew Luck’s pops) is the new AD, would push for a move to the SEC if possible. Certainly would be interesting.

45. Jonah Hex
    9:32 pm September 6, 2011 Permalink

Florida State, Clemson, Va Tech, UVA, UNC, all better selections prior to WVU. I agree with 39.

Im telling you WVU is not an SEC school and will hurt us in the long run if we add them.

Again our own stupid pride is what is stopping us from adding better fit schools like Clem(p)son or FSU.

46. STEVE!
    9:42 pm September 6, 2011 Permalink

Grab state flagship universities like we currently have (Virginia, North Carolina, Missouri) or just pass. Don’t take schools just to keep them from going somewhere else.

47. Vandalia
    9:46 pm September 6, 2011 Permalink

As a UK and WVU fan, I think this will be a good fit. As for class do none of you remember the horrible Virginia Tech halftime show a few years ago (2002)? Look into if not. It will give you pause to wanting to engage in any sport with Virginia Tech.

48. kaboom!
    9:50 pm September 6, 2011 Permalink

west virginia should abort itself entirely.
    but in the meantime why doesnt the SEC go after VT, NCST, UNC, FSU, USF, the U, clemson, GT

49. HarrySacDot
    9:54 pm September 6, 2011 Permalink

If Mizzou joins the SEC, I’ll puke. Has anyone ever spent even a minor amount of time with those people? Pure puds.

50. Vandalia
    9:55 pm September 6, 2011 Permalink

I stand corrected that was UVA that did the horrible show.

51. Joe B's Bologna
    10:02 pm September 6, 2011 Permalink

I love all the stereotyping of WV coming from KY residents. Typical UK fans. WV is definitely a better football program and already out recruits UK by far! Give them SEC to go out and recruit with and they will literally beat UK worse than people think. UK fans love to brag about SEC but when it comes to bettering the conference UK fans don’t lean that way…hmmmmm interesting. Just be REALISTS UK Fans…that’s all “unbiased” people who live in this state ask for. And of course UK Basketball will regularly beat WVU at basketball. Just sucks that they couldn’t when Calipari “the Pope” couldn’t beat them with his dream team a couple years back! Wake up UK Fans….it’s not about wins and losses anymore at UK. It’s about having celebrities sit court side, sending one and done’s to the NBA and Mitch fundraising. No more “Unforgettables” or “Untouchables” or “Comeback Cats”……those days are over. Those of you who fail to realize this just wait for Coach Cal’s next tweet to tell you what to eat (Orange Leaf), or where to go so he can keep getting financial kick backs on his tweets!

52. yitbos
    10:12 pm September 6, 2011 Permalink

Um, well, the SEC has rules in place from allowing schools in from states that we already have a presence in, i.e. Florida and South Carolina. So unless either of those schools give the OK, Clemson and FSU are out. Why are we worried about what the Pac12 will do? Their golden children just got smacked by LSU, we’ve (the SEC) won 5 straight National Championships. I’d rather pick up a UVA/Va Tech than Mizzou or WVA, because at least Virginia is in the South.

53. kaboom!
    10:51 pm September 6, 2011 Permalink

52- you’re an idiot. go look at a map. there’s no written “one school per state” rule.

54. Steve Fitts
    11:05 pm September 6, 2011 Permalink

That would mean that John Denver’s “Country Roads” would overtake “Rocky Top” as the most annoying song in the SEC!

55. joshua
    11:38 pm September 6, 2011 Permalink

is it just me or is that Punky Brewster.

56. MtnCat
    11:38 pm September 6, 2011 Permalink

WVU is a smoke screen, look past the smoke into the future.

57. RonH
    11:43 pm September 6, 2011 Permalink

The SEC needs to get into Va. either with Va. of Va. Tech.

58. RonH
    11:44 pm September 6, 2011 Permalink

The SEC needs to get into Va. either with Va. or Va. Tech.

59. Bourbonbelly
    11:46 pm September 6, 2011 Permalink

Take’em, just IMAGINE the coal money!

60. 2020
    11:53 pm September 6, 2011 Permalink

We should pick up another Texas team like Texas Tech or Baylor. Texas has a huge population = $$ for TV deals. West Virginia fans are few in number and represent a poor tv demographic.

61. Will Hill
    12:59 am September 7, 2011 Permalink

I don’t understand why everyone is so gung-ho about Clemson coming in. They’re okay, but really? Better than bringing in Missouri? Do they really even bring in more than WVA would? I think the SEC’s wish list will go like this: 1. Virginia Tech, who will decline, 2. Oklahoma, who will decline, 3. Florida State (there is no official rule, but there are rumors about a handshake agreement against expanding into a state with a current SEC member, so Florida presumably would have to sign off), 4. Missouri, who will jump at the chance unless they think the Big 10 will come after them. Then, they will stop at 14.

62. WildcatsOne
    6:02 am September 7, 2011 Permalink

13. She is a visitor….from Kentucky.

63. Jonah Hex
    8:07 am September 7, 2011 Permalink

I dont think the SEC would let in Clemson or Florida State, which is why I said our own stupid pride is going to stop us from getting the best schools out there.

Both of those schools are more southern, better all around programs, and better campuses than WVU.

Heck UVA and Va Tech are as well.

64. BCO
    8:49 am September 7, 2011 Permalink

Wonder how those stupid hillbillies will feel once they stop serving beer at their games.

Bring on WVU, never liked them cats anyway.

I personally think VT, FSU, or Clemson would be smarter choices, though.

65. Tim
    9:13 am September 7, 2011 Permalink

How is Virginia in the south, but West Virginia is not? It’s called “west” Virginia not “north” Virginia…

Virginia Tech fans are just as bad as wvu fans, trust me I know. My family is split between the two.

Wvu adds a great football program, and a good basketball program. Plus their fan base is spread out across the east coast.

66. Dan
    9:27 am September 7, 2011 Permalink

@61 not going to happen. Think about what the SEC/Slive have already stated. That they will not look to expand in states that they have a significant position in. South Carolina will veto Clemson. Georgia would veto Georgia Tech. And Florida has historically vetoed Florida State for years….plus look how close Tallahassee is to Gainsville. Not likely.

Oklahoma and Texas have already contacted the Pac(again) and will likely take Oklahoma st. as well as my guess is Texas Tech with them. The Big Ten(eleven, twelve) whatever they call themselves these days will only take AAU schools…Iowa St., Kansas, Missouri, and probably either Rutgers or Pitt out of the Big East.

I say strike while the iron is hot and before the Big Ten moves on Missouri and lock them up as well since this is about money and tv markets and the St. Louis area would be a hugh get for the SEC.

If it was me I’d also go after Kansas but since this is about football and not basketball they probably won’t. But imagine a conference with KU and UK in it together. That rivals the UNC/Duke rivalry that the ACC is always pushing.

67. Lou eaton
    11:29 am September 7, 2011 Permalink

Virginia turns out lots of Div 1 players and my vote would be for either Va tech or UVA…

68. experienced
    1:24 pm September 7, 2011 Permalink

I have strong connections to UK and WVU. I’ll tell you now WVU fans are in no way classy. I went to the backyard brawl a few years back and witnessed a Pitt fan being pushed around in a very physical way in the restroom. Lets not forget when they threw change at the Pitt players and coaches. http://www.aolnews.com/2010/02/04/wvu-fans-like-to-throw-things-on-court/ On top of that when they used to play Notre Dame I remember one measly Irish fan walking politely and quietly to his seat and one whole section starts pointing and chanting a-hole. It is a demoralizing and trashy fan base. The worse I’ve seen UK fans is chanting BS at the refs for REPEATED bad calls. I would never want to send my beloved cats into Morgantown. I’ve lived there and currently live in Lexington. Morgantown is a s-hole.

69. CTMountaineer
    2:05 pm September 7, 2011 Permalink

You’re kidding, right? Morgantown has received numerous national awards for quality of life. It is a prosperous city with one of the lowest unemployment rates in the nation. Sitting right at the base of the Allegheny Range the outdoor venues are spectacular, and it is close enough to major population areas (Pittsburgh and DC) to have great followings there.

70. Blipz24
    3:00 pm September 7, 2011 Permalink

#18 – You couldn’t be more right. Let them stay in the Big East. Don’t need fans that act the way they do in the SEC. I’m not even counting the couch burning after they beat Penn State in football several years ago. They put stickers on the windshields of the other teams’ fans’ vehicles that cannot be peeled off. Wonder how many people have to die because they can’t see to drive before someone there realizes that’s just not funny?