So… how’s that bracketology?

Bracketology

I don’t want to spend a lot of time talking about the loss last night, because it gets me right in the feelings.  And my spring break is starting, and I hope you’ll understand that dwelling on it is not how I want to kick things off.  It was not only horrible timing for a loss, but also Kentucky’s worst of the season; Georgia is just not goodBut, safe to say, after that “display” of basketball, the Cats’ tourney chances have taken a hit.  But just how bad was it, and what are college basketball folks around the country saying about the Wildcats after dropping their fourth in seven games?

Jeff Borzello, CBS Sports:

Losers

Kentucky: The Wildcats had played themselves back into the mix a couple of weekends ago by beating Missouri, but they will need another monster win in the season finale to have any at-large chance. After losing at Arkansas over the weekend, beating Georgia on the road was a must — and the Wildcats couldn’t come through with a victory. They are now 20-10 overall, with an 11-6 record in the SEC, heading into this weekend’s showdown at home against Florida. Kentucky absolutely needs to beat the Gators, or it will likely be NIT-bound come Selection Sunday. The one win over Missouri is nice, and victories over fellow SEC bubblers Tennessee and Ole Miss also help, but it’s just not a great overall profile. Moreover, Georgia was Kentucky’s first sub-100 loss of the season.

Jason King, ESPN:

John Calipari has tried numerous tactics in recent weeks to light a spark within his Kentucky basketball team. One afternoon, he even staged an impromptu dodgeball game to loosen the mood and improve chemistry.

Nothing has worked.

Thursday’s 72-62 loss at Georgia marked the fourth defeat in the past seven games for the Wildcats, who will probably need to beat Florida in Saturday’s regular-season finale to have any shot of making the NCAA tournament.

Joe Lunardi, ESPN Bracketology:

FIRST FOUR OUT
Ole Miss
Alabama
Southern Miss
Baylor (replaces Kentucky)

NEXT FOUR OUT
Arizona State
Kentucky (drops with loss at Georgia)
Maryland
Providence

So, we were replaced in the “first four out” by Baylor.  Who beat us at home this season.  And now we’re in the same grouping with Providence.

I am completely miserable, San Diego.

Article written by Corey Nichols

65 Comments for So… how’s that bracketology?

1. rixter
    9:07 am March 8, 2013 Permalink

HOW spoiled are we? We are the defending National Champions, and crying because this year’s team is struggling.
    Football is looking up, basketball will be looking up once this season ends….. chins up, BBN!!!

2. asdf
    9:09 am March 8, 2013 Permalink

So this is officially the worst loss of year.

3. FO
    9:13 am March 8, 2013 Permalink

I know its bad timing but a good deal for Fan Outfitters. On the bright side, you can get some new UK football gear!!

4. Jezz
    9:18 am March 8, 2013 Permalink

I’m not even sure how we are still anywhere near the tournament at this point.

Beat Florida and you’re in then. Can they do it ?

5. 3 fan
    9:18 am March 8, 2013 Permalink

Should UK even take the NIT bid? What’s to gain except some home games? It won’t help development of players since many are leaving.

6. D
    9:22 am March 8, 2013 Permalink

Yes next year will be better. However, to aviod a repeat of this Cal will need to have some decent 2-3 yeard players on the roster at all times. I will say the “players first” mentality rings a little hollow now after this debacle.

7. DenverCat41
    9:22 am March 8, 2013 Permalink

OK, people need to stop acting like UK is above playing in the NIT and are deserving of something better. Newsflash people, they are not and they will accept an NIT bid. If they did not, it would be no different than a pissed off kid taking their ball and going home.

8. Golfnuts
    9:26 am March 8, 2013 Permalink

How can we have 4 players projected to go first round in NBA draft, per Chad Ford at ESPN, play like that against Georgia. Per Ford he even has 3 going as lottery picks.

9. Golfnuts
    9:29 am March 8, 2013 Permalink

I know we did not have Noel, but we should be playing much better than we are.

10. 3 fan
    9:30 am March 8, 2013 Permalink

#7, tell me ONE benefit of playing in the NIT except $$$ from home games.
    Experience? for who? Wiltjer? He played in the Finals last year.
    Harrow? The kid is in his 3rd year of college, either he gets it by now or somebody get him a ticket to Europe.
    WCS? Gone.
    Poythress? Probably gone and sounds like Cal will be happy he is. Poythress better learn to speak a foreign language if he goes pro.
    Polson? Seriously? Just recently been shown that he can’t shoot.
    Hood? Already rumors he is graduating and pulling a Mays to play his last year somewhere else.
    Goodwin? YES. For Goodwin it would help ONLY if he plans on returning.

So I can’t think of ONE solid reason outside $$ for UK to play in the NIT

11. MemphisCat
    9:34 am March 8, 2013 Permalink

I’m really surprised we are even being mentioned in the NCAA bubble talk. I wish we weren’t on National TV last night, it showed the world how bad we really are at this time. And to even think we have 3 lottery picks is a joke, it really shows how bad the draft will be this year. I think NBA teams will trade their picks for Euro players or trade for D league players vice picking some of these guys coming out.

12. niaps
    9:40 am March 8, 2013 Permalink

WHO CARES!!!! This miserable team who has yet to beat any other team of importance and has lost to the worst teams in the SEC is going nowhere. Surly Cal will not take a NIT bid that would be most embarrassing of all.

13. Golfnuts
    9:40 am March 8, 2013 Permalink

Alex Poythress looks great at times and totally lost at others. Last night he looked lost and almost looked intimidated most of the game. He is projected to be a lottery pick per Chad Ford.

14. Steve
    9:41 am March 8, 2013 Permalink

#10 as good an analysis as I have seen.

15. G-Unit
    9:42 am March 8, 2013 Permalink

Think this was bad? Just wait til Saturday… Liable to get beat by 25-30 at home against Florida…

16. niaps
    9:45 am March 8, 2013 Permalink

I cannot figure out how these 5 stars can even show their faces anymore. Uncoachable is right. Cal said it weeks ago and it has rang true all year.

17. ThankfulCat
    9:48 am March 8, 2013 Permalink

Do you really want to see this team play MORE games?

They hopefully have 3 games left

Loss to Florida
    Loss in SEC tourney
    1st round loss in NIT

18. LOLZ
    9:49 am March 8, 2013 Permalink

“Of all the players I’ve seen so far, [Alex Poythress has] been the most impressive and I think many NBA scouts agree with that,” wrote [Chad] Ford. (November 2012)
    Lolz

19. josh
    9:53 am March 8, 2013 Permalink

Cal has to have superstars or he can’t coach. If Tubby had this team minus Noel, and Cal had same team, Tubby would win every time. That is why this down year when you lose superstars the previous year sucks. If Cal cant recruit players to stay more than one year he needs to go. I cant stand this crap. They need to think about college and not the NBA. Its ridiculous.

20. rixter
    9:55 am March 8, 2013 Permalink

I hear ya, #6..this team took the ‘player’s first’ thing to a new level!

21. Ukclassof93
    9:58 am March 8, 2013 Permalink

How much money did marquis Teague cost himself by leaving last year? Several million I would guess.

22. jq
    10:03 am March 8, 2013 Permalink

17 You ask a very interesting question. To which I would say yes if they would sit the WANNABE HARROW on the bench or better yet not even let him dress for the remaing games.

23. dave
    10:03 am March 8, 2013 Permalink

Someday someone is going to have to explain to me why wanting Kentucky Basketball to do well each year is a bad thing.

Why discussing it is a bad thing???

How wanting to be entertained by a team…a real team…how wanting that team to come together under the tutelage of a Coach who makes millions of dollars to field a great team of well coached athletes excel…how the desire to see that team and that coach succeed makes one SPOILED???

Someday, someone, somewhere will have to explain these things to me.

Coach Cal expects to be paid millions each year. Is he spoiled?

Kentucky Basketball pays Coach Cal millions each year. Kentucky Basketball has made Coach Cal the highest paid College Basketball Coach in America.

I’m not expecting a UCLA like run of 10 or 11 Championships.

Nope, I’m not expecting that.

I do, however, expect that a guy who is being paid THE NUMBER ONE SALARY in all of College Basketball can consistently field a team that can ACTUALLY make it to the NCAA Tournament.

I’m not certain how that makes me spoiled.

Is Coach Cal giving back a part of his salary or not expecting to be paid part of that salary because the team that he has fielded this year will more than likely NOT make the NCAA Tournament.

No, I’m not saying that they won’t win the Tournament. They likely will not even be invited.

NOT INVITED to the Tournament. The NCAA Tournament.

Coach Cal has still be paid his salary. Correct. Yes, I think he has.

Yet, Kentucky will not even be invited to what is essentially the reason that Coach Cal was hired. The reason the the regular season is played. The reason that teams fight to win and be ranked. The whole reason that College Basketball exists as a modern entity.

THE NCAA TOURNAMENT.

Cal still gets paid his 3 or 4 million dollars and I’m spoiled because I’m a little frustrated that Kentucky is playing like they a really bad high school team.

And oh, by the way, I actually pay to watch UK basketball.

24. just saying
    10:04 am March 8, 2013 Permalink

NBADraft.net, updated 2 days ago, shows [email protected], [email protected], Archie @14, and Poythress @ NOT ON THE BOARD.

Im not sure how anyone thinks this kid is a lottery pick, and anyone thinks he will go pro. He may leave (transfer) but go Pro? no Way.

Personally if WCS goes at #10, and Archie goes at #14, then someone explain to me how a team has 3 “lottery” picks, and cant beat Georgia and the game not really even be close.

25. AMIRITE
    10:06 am March 8, 2013 Permalink

19 – Josh you’re a moron.
    We’ve won 13 NCAA tourney games in 3 years.
    Tubby won 23 in 10 years (6 of them with “Rick’s players” )

“I cant stand this crap”
    lolz. I CANT STAND ALL THIS NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP GEAR IN MY HOUSE!!!!!1

26. The TruthBABy
    10:06 am March 8, 2013 Permalink

Alex needs to dust off his Wendy’s uniform after this year.

Just shows hoe pathetic this years draft list is if Goodwin and Alex are in the top 25…

27. G-Unit
    10:08 am March 8, 2013 Permalink

19- WTF are you talking about? There has been 3 teams in the history of NCAA that won a title and then lost over 75% of their scoring. All 3 of those teams went to the NIT the following year…Deandre Liggins, Josh Harrelson prove that Cal can coach Average talent. These guys just never bought in. Bottom line, End Of Story.

Would you tell Davis to stay? what about MKG and all the numerous other 1st round picks. Its not like college has an age limit or is going somewhere. You mean to tell me if you got offered a job after your freshman year to college making anywhere from 2.5 to 12 million in 3 years you would turn it down? Why not take the money? You can always go back to school, which many of them are doing. If you arent responsible enough to take 2.5 to 12 million and live on it the rest of your life that their own fault. So just shut up about this “think about college” bullshit. Just because you cannot find these kids talent/skills in a text book doesnt mean they are any different. Would you tell Steve Jobs he needed to stay in school? Mark Zuckerberg?

28. JoshIsAMoron
    10:08 am March 8, 2013 Permalink

Josh, your comment is one of the dumbest things I’ve read in a long, long time. Tubby would win every time with this team? He only made ONE Final Four here and had a lot of teams with as much talent as this, and several with more talent. And Cal has to have superstars or he can’t coach? The only superstar he ever had at UMass was Camby. Go look up his results there and write that again about how he can’t coach. They had ONE tournament appearance all time before Cal at UMass, and he got them 5 or 6 in 9 years. He improved Memphis’s previous floundering reputation too, and yet has already coached more NBA players in 4 years here than he did in 9 years there. You are an imbecile. Go cheer for another team if you don’t like Cal.

29. DDT
    10:09 am March 8, 2013 Permalink

I am so glad the year is almost over. I new this was going to be a BAD year and it was. I was hoping to see effort is all and I saw it out of Noel and some WCS but that is it!

Goodwin PLEASE LEAVE YOU SUCK

POYTHRESS PLEASE LEAVE YOU SUCK

HARROW PLEASE LEAVE YOU SUCK and YOU SOFT as a TAMPON

30. josh
    10:09 am March 8, 2013 Permalink

did tubby beat IU with Ricks players #25? He is a team oriented coach and Cal doesnt play team ball. I’ll say it again, if Cal doesnt have superstars he cant win ball games because he cant organize a team to play together. Period.

31. chicken little
    10:10 am March 8, 2013 Permalink

THE SKY IS FALLING!!!! “If Cal can’t recruit players to stay more than one year he needs to go” Really??? So just forget about his first 3 seasons here. Nevermind we JUST won our first NC since 98.. We are having a bad season. It happens, folks. Next year will be better. We might not win it all next year, but we will be better. I can’t think of any team in the country that wins the national championship every year, or is even in the conversation every year

32. DDT
    10:11 am March 8, 2013 Permalink

Harrows new nickname should be Tampon!

Here comes Tampon bring the ball up opps it’s stolen again.

33. G-Unit
    10:12 am March 8, 2013 Permalink

23-

2007 Florida and 2008 UNC

Both teams lost over 75% of their scoring after winning a title.

Billy Donovan and Roy Williams coaching- (HOF Coaches)

The following year they both went to the NIT.

34. JoshIsAMoron
    10:12 am March 8, 2013 Permalink

Josh- Cal can’t organize a team to play together? Have you been asleep for the past 3 years?

35. MammaKin
    10:13 am March 8, 2013 Permalink

I love the cats but I really HATE this team. I feel sorry for Cal’… I played sports thru college and let me tell you, this is a PLAYER problem. They just don’t care. They are costing to the draft. They’re idiots.

36. josh
    10:14 am March 8, 2013 Permalink

we wouldnt get beat by Georgia with Tubby, we wouldnt have lost to UT by thirty with Tubby. Need I say more. I’m not a Tubby fan but I am just saying. When Cal gets down on players he gets down on players. It will come out in the end. You’ll see.

37. josh
    10:15 am March 8, 2013 Permalink

He cant organize a team without superstars, and there simply isnt superstars on this team this year without Noel.

38. JokerSTILLsucks
    10:15 am March 8, 2013 Permalink

270 until midnight madness and we get to actually see Basketball players.

39. JoshIsAMoron
    10:16 am March 8, 2013 Permalink

How can you possibly say that? Ten loss Tubby was his nickname bc we did in fact lose lots of games we shouldn’t have with him in charge. I’m going to go talk to the wall outside my apartment, I think it will have more intelligent replies than you.

40. josh
    10:17 am March 8, 2013 Permalink

Pitino could outcoach Cal if he was blind and I’m not a Pitino fan either. But he is a Team Coach, not a players coach.

41. josh
    10:18 am March 8, 2013 Permalink

You should buy a house now interest rates are still low.

42. JoshIsAMoron
    10:19 am March 8, 2013 Permalink

Cal is 4-1 against Pitino since he’s gotten to UK, their national championship count is the same, and they’ve each lead 3 schools to Final 4s. So tell me again how Pitino is better?

43. Corey Nichols
    10:19 am March 8, 2013 Permalink

All – Anyone who is suggesting Cal needs to leave has the memory of a goldfish. Three of four years have been phenomenal, and one year is down. The down year sucks. But there is literally every reason to think it’ll turn around: great class coming in next year, hope that injuries won’t cost our best player, and the possibility that WCS or Archie will stay. Cal can win. Cal will win. But this team just doesn’t seem to want it. Not much you can do about that.

44. JoshIsAMoron
    10:20 am March 8, 2013 Permalink

And before you trot out the “Cal can’t coach without superstars” line again, please, name 1 player from Cal’s time at UMass besides Marcus Camby. No using google either.

45. Corey Nichols
    10:20 am March 8, 2013 Permalink

33 – Excellent points. And both have been in title contention since those dates. UNC last year, Florida this year.

46. josh
    10:21 am March 8, 2013 Permalink

You cant tell me this team is this bad. They were in fact four and five star players coming out of high school. This team has more problems than talent. If the company is not running right, is it the workers fault? 90% of the time it is the Managment.

47. JoshIsAMoron
    10:24 am March 8, 2013 Permalink

Yes, in this case it is the players fault. Alex Poythress is a 6’7 240 pound kid, matches up against guys that are physically inferior almost every night, and yet can’t play consistently. How is that Calipari’s fault? How is it Calipari’s fault that Harrow is physically and mentally weak? When a coach has had as much success as Cal has and in so many different environments at his 3 schools, it’s safe to say it’s the players fault. I’m willing to bet that you’ve not coached anything before, bc some kids are uncoachable, and this group of players has some of those.

48. Golfnuts
    10:24 am March 8, 2013 Permalink

#35 I totally agree with you. This team does not play together and almost like street ball at times. This for sure is not Cal’s fault as he has hinted in the past how hard this team has been to coach.

49. josh
    10:26 am March 8, 2013 Permalink

What kind of talent has Pitino had vs. Cal? Cal has had ridiulously more talent and Pitino can still take Louiville to the Final Four with less talent.

50. JoshIsAMoron
    10:27 am March 8, 2013 Permalink

Then maybe Pitino should recruit better, bc that’s a part of coaching too

51. josh
    10:28 am March 8, 2013 Permalink

Cal recruited these guys. Should he have known they were uncoachable when he recruited them? C’mon. These guys dont have a talent problem it is something else. And we’re going to find out after season is over.

52. josh
    10:29 am March 8, 2013 Permalink

Cal is a better recruiter. And when they are both recruiting the same players and Cal is also coaching the greatest program in all of basketball that is kind of hard.

53. JoshIsAMoron
    10:29 am March 8, 2013 Permalink

The fact that you started this little rant by crying for the days of Tubby tells me everything I need to know about your intellect. Cal has more Final 4’s in the past 3 years at UK than Tubby did the whole time he was here.

54. JoshIsAMoron
    10:31 am March 8, 2013 Permalink

And if you’re such a fan of Pitino, go cheer for Little Brother. BBN doesn’t require, or really want, your negativity towards our excellent coach.

55. JoshIsAnIdiot
    10:32 am March 8, 2013 Permalink

But Pitino still couldn’t beat UK. Until this season when UL clearly had the better team. Your argument holds no water. Wasn’t UL an overall number one seed a few years ago? Where did that get them? Hasn’t UL gone to the NIT twice since Pitino has been there? You are clueless. Last season UL was given a HUGE gift from Mich State and Florida to back their way into the final four. You have the memory of a frog

56. Golfnuts
    10:34 am March 8, 2013 Permalink

#53 I think josh is a Louisville fan……….

57. BPM
    10:47 am March 8, 2013 Permalink

It is ok to be pissed about this team – but Josh, please stop. You sound dumber and dumber with each post. Aside from this year, Cal’s time at UK has been the best time I have had as a UK fan since the 93-99 run. The last 3 years may have been even more fun considering how garbage we were from 2000 to 2009 (even 2003, 2004 and 2005 sucked because of huge tourney letdowns). If you don’t think we played great team basketball the last 3 years then it is clear you are just trying to push some sort of agenda. This year I agree, terrible team basketball. Still though, I would take Cal over Pitino without hesitation. There is really not anyone else in the college game I would rather have as our coach right now. I would, however, be curious to see what Brad Stevens could do with alot of talent.

58. Rae
    10:59 am March 8, 2013 Permalink

46. Stars by your name don’t make you motivated. You have to try. Poythress taking 3 shots is not trying.

59. josh
    11:11 am March 8, 2013 Permalink

Far from a Louisville fan. Far far. Just hate to see the team this bad. And everyone blaming it solely on the players, and zero on the coach.

60. right...
    11:23 am March 8, 2013 Permalink

59) but blaming everything solely on the coach that has brought us 1 Nat Championship and 2 Final Fours in 3 years is completely reasonable…

61. josh
    11:42 am March 8, 2013 Permalink

I’m definitley not solely blaming it on the coach either. It is like a marriage. Works both ways. Team morale is at its lowest point in Cals tenure. There is definitely something going on. Players arent that good in HS and come to college and end up being that bad. Especially if they are recruited by Cal.

62. josh
    11:48 am March 8, 2013 Permalink

Poythress is a sheep without a shepherd. Good shepherd=good sheep; bad shepherd=bad sheep

63. right...
    11:52 am March 8, 2013 Permalink

61) That was actually a reasonable post. I don’t necessarily agree with everything, but at least it wasn’t just a rant. I understand you’re disappointed in this season. But making the transition from HS to college can be similar to the transition from college to the pros. Sometimes a great college player is not a good pro. Think Jeff Shepperd, Wayne Turner, Laettner, Hansbrough, etc, etc, etc. Some people cannot be motivated while others don’t need outside motivation (ie MKG). I’m willing to give Cal a pass this season considering what he accomplished in his first 3 years here. And for the record, i’m not closing the book on the season until we lose our last game. Go Cats

64. right...
    11:55 am March 8, 2013 Permalink

i hear ya, but some players respond to different things. Some players are motivated by coaches yelling at them. Some shut down. Some players are motivated by positive reinforcement while others get soft because of it. Some players you just can’t reach… But Cal sure was able to get the most out of Liggins, Jorts, Darius, and Boogie. I’m still giving him a pass this season

65. JoshIsAMoron
    1:15 pm March 8, 2013 Permalink

“If Cal cant recruit players to stay more than one year he needs to go”

-Congratulations to Josh, who with this sentence won the award for dumbest thing written on the internet. Calipari has made at least the Elite 8 every year so far. Granted that streak looks like it’s coming to a close this year, but you want a coach of that caliber, who brings in players that good, to leave? I guess you think what we need is more players like Michael Porter, Mark Coury, maybe Shagari Aleyne? You, sir, are mentally challenged (to put it as politely as I can).