Smith expected to start, Whitlow is second option

Max Smith’s importance to Kentucky’s offense became crystal clear on Saturday when the Cats had to go without him against Florida. UK struggled to move the ball against the Gators without No. 11 out there under center. This week, Smith is listed as day-to-day and Joker Phillips expects him to be ready by Saturday when the Gamecocks come to town.

“I think we’ll get Max back,” Joker said in his Monday press conference.

Backing up Smith at quarterback could be Jalen Whitlow, instead of Morgan Newton. Joker said they’ve been getting Whitlow ready in case an injury to Smith occurred; they just didn’t think The Swamp was the best place to throw the freshman out there for the first time.

Joker also said they’ll keep the redshirt on Patrick Towles.

Beat Spurrier.

Article written by Drew Franklin

25 Comments for Smith expected to start, Whitlow is second option

1. Gangnam Style
    1:03 pm September 24, 2012 Permalink

2. RICK
    1:06 pm September 24, 2012 Permalink

Other schools start freshman q-backs but oh no not ky. What a bunch of bull.

3. Bob
    1:13 pm September 24, 2012 Permalink

#2 Rick I agree, but at this point it’s useless to kill a kid’s confidence. With the likeliness that this is a 2 win season, three at best, there is no reason to do that to your future leader. When LSU did it to Jarrett Lee, because there was no other option, that season ruined his confidence. Ride this season out and move on without hurting the future!

4. Musehobo
    1:21 pm September 24, 2012 Permalink

1) Dude looks like an Asian Billy Gillispie.

5. Bicycle Seat Sniffer
    1:25 pm September 24, 2012 Permalink

Beat Spurrier? How about “Not lose by 35.” That would actually be an accomplishment, in my eyes, based on the last 2 games.

6. Duhhhh
    1:25 pm September 24, 2012 Permalink

That should have been the “plan” from Day 1 of Fall Camp. How do you not know who your #2 QB and start getting him reps ASAP?

If they can say definitively today that Morgan is #3 then they should have known that 5 weeks ago.

7. Read the article
    1:36 pm September 24, 2012 Permalink

6)”Joker said they’ve been getting Whitlow ready in case an injury to Smith occurred;they just didn’t think The Swamp was the best place to throw the freshman out there for the first time.” I agree totally with that decision by Joker!

8. kyeric
    1:39 pm September 24, 2012 Permalink

Beat Spurrier? I think we would have a hard time beating a cold this season.

9. BobKYCats
    1:45 pm September 24, 2012 Permalink

I will go out on a limb and predict that Spurrier’s headset will make it through this game unthrown and unscathed.

10. Joker, Smoker, Midnight Toker
    1:46 pm September 24, 2012 Permalink

7) Somewhere Tim Couch is nodding and sobbing.

11. John
    1:52 pm September 24, 2012 Permalink

I applaud Andre Woodson for coming back to support the program. Where is Craig Yeast? Where is Tim Couch? Where is Jared Lorenzen? I would love to see these guys involved in recruiting. Maybe they are all being utilized this way, I have no way of knowing. I think it would only help. Why not give these guys a grand per visit to represent the University and have former, successful skill position players show up at the door to skill position prospects?

12. BoDiazSatelliteService
    1:52 pm September 24, 2012 Permalink

Morgan Newton – GTFO

13. knightynight
    1:53 pm September 24, 2012 Permalink

I think we can beat south carolina. Our defense is improving and if Max plays, anything can happen….likely? no. but possible.

14. michelle's big ole booty
    2:03 pm September 24, 2012 Permalink

#11 – Shut your trap. Andre had no other offers at the time. Of course he’d take a job with UK football. Those other guys have jobs.

15. C'on man
    2:13 pm September 24, 2012 Permalink

#13 Are you for real. You realize Smith isn’t joe Montana don’t you. Smith is a SEC backup at best.Our defense is really coming around Flordia scored 38 If they hadn’t turned the dogs off they easly could have scored 50 so yea the D is coming around. This is why UK football has sucked for so long. People continue going to the games keep giving their money, so why make a change. Then some yell your nota fan and you should support the players. BS the best way to support the players is to stop showing up at the games then when they get a coach who give them a chance sell out the place. I’m sorry Joker has failed the players and he should announce his resignation now so UK can get a head start on finding a coach. Tenn. auburn, Arkansas, and some other jobs will be open. UK needs to go after a good coach early to have a chance then we will still have to overpay.

16. Pu
    2:18 pm September 24, 2012 Permalink

Who was playing qb when we lost to WKU?? But yet some people expect big things from that same qb against a MUCH better South Carolina team? Yes, he’s better than Newton, but that’s really not saying much. Stephen Hawking could have hit more receivers than Newton. Let’s not use the fact that Smith couldn’t play as an excuse for losing to FL.

17. John
    2:53 pm September 24, 2012 Permalink

#14 – re: post #11

I didn’t say anything bad about current or former players or coaches. I asked a sincere question as to why former players don’t show up around the program with regularity.

Whatever set you off as to flaming up your red neck it wasn’t me. You should swear off sports for a while. You’re headed for a heart attack, and this team isn’t worth it.

18. J-Dog
    3:22 pm September 24, 2012 Permalink

Tim Couch is announcing on TV for college football.. Maybe the coach should invite former players back like the coach we have across campus has done! You will see former players come back when there is a leader who people find worth supporting’…

19. Ha
    3:29 pm September 24, 2012 Permalink

LOL @ 16. Not only could Hawking perform better; any audible at the line would be awesome!

20. John
    3:48 pm September 24, 2012 Permalink

#18- I know Tim announces. That doesn’t appear to take up the whole year of his time. I’m just saying somebody like Couch, a #1 draft pick, would be a great guy to take 5 minutes of his time and call a recruit on UK’s behalf, or to eat lunch with if he’s around, etc. I don’t think it would cost a lot of money on UK’s part, or a lot of time from the former players. I can’t believe that guys who bled so much for UK wouldn’t be willing to do little things like this, and like I said, they probably are, we just don’t hear about it.

You said it right about coach Cal- he does a great job of this, even bringing his own former players from other schools to UK and making them feel welcome here. I think it’s something that not all coaches are good at, but it’s something that all players would appreciate, simply an acknowledgement that what they did during their tenure mattered, made a difference, is valuable to the program, and is an opportunity for their legacy to live on.

21. Linda Taylor
    4:04 pm September 24, 2012 Permalink

17 – You don’t have to look past 14’s screen name to know he’s an idiot. Best to just ignore people like him.

22. Bulldawg
    4:44 pm September 24, 2012 Permalink

wasn’t it a “heated battle” just a few weeks ago to find out which qb would start? It seems to me that Newton and Smith are night and day.(pun not intended) It is clear that Smith and Whitlow are better suited for the job. It is unfair to Newton for Joker to do this to him in his senior year. He could have been known as the guy that changed positions his senior year in order to help the team and went out as a team player. Instead, Joker wants to throw him to the gators with no preparition?? After it has already been proven it would be better for the team and Newton if he contributed from another position. This is his last year. Put him in somewhere else where he can make a difference and let him save face. If Joker cared at all about Newton, he would scheme something up for him to get touches. Just my humble opinion…Newton and other UK players deserve better than to be used as Joker’s scapegoat!!

23. Duhhhh
    5:01 pm September 24, 2012 Permalink

7) I read it…I just don’t buy it and neither should you. No way that #6 South Carolina will make for a “friendlier environment” than #12 Florida.

24. Duhhhhhh sucks
    8:36 pm September 24, 2012 Permalink

#7 As bad as newton played I tend to side with you. The swamp probably isn’t the best place to start your first game. Didn’t work to well for Couch and I dought if any of these guys could tie Tim’s shoes. That being said Joker should have brought in the other QB to start the second half. That would have given the young man time to watch the game and calm down. Then we would have had him ready for the next time we will need him( judging by our play so far we will be using him) to answer 23 yes the swamp is a lot more hostile then SC will be. The swamp is kinda on par with Rupp for football.

25. putinrichie
    6:01 am September 25, 2012 Permalink

It’s crazy to think we don’t have a shot at beating South Carolina with Max Smith. Other than the first half against WKU, he’s been a machine. I’m not expecting Smith to torch South Carolina, but 250 yards and 2-3 TD’s is a very realistic and conservative estimate. If the defense can play like they did against Florida and actually force some TO’s this could be quite a game in the second half. I just hope the crowd gets behind this team, because this season could still be special if we could win the next two weeks.