Sleeping With The Enemy

Sometimes you can’t help but bite your lip, even when you’re sandwiched between two rivals

We’ve all done it in some form or fashion.

You wake up with a pounding headache wrapped up in a strange blanket.  You hear disturbing snoring and feel the warmth of a body next to you.  Before rolling over, you look up on the wall and your eyes about pop out of your head.  Oh god.  No…no, it can’t be!

A Dr. Dunkenstein poster hangs on the wall.

Daryl Griffith’s stare causes you to start sweating and wondering how this could possibly have happened.  She/he seemed so…normal last night.  Or so you think.  Everything is a bit fuzzy.  You slip the blanket off and tip-toe towards the door without saying a word.

**********

You found love in a hopeless place – in the middle of a rivalry.  It happens to the best of us, don’t worry.  It’ll all be over soon.  Once you walk out that door, you’re dealings with a bitter opponent will be over.

But maybe only for the time being.  Perchance this fine he/she gives you a ring and you go on a second date, and a third, fourt, etc.  Who knows where it will lead?  Romance is a fickle thing, just like sports fandom.  In this Commonwealth, it’s easy to get the two intertwined.  For UK and UofL fans, becoming romantically involved with the enemy is commonplace and occurs in several different forms.  Some may absolutely refuse to do it, others may embrace each other as polar opposites.  Let’s take a look at a few examples:

I.  The One Night Stand — The usual combination of a bar, mutual friends, and loud music can lead to a hook-up with a Cards fan.  Maybe you didn’t realize his/her affiliation or you just didn’t care, but this is one experience where you are allowed to say “it just kind of happened’.  Maybe Dr. Dunkenstein scared you off, or possibly it was that fact that she had Pervis Ellison, Dejaun Wheat, and Reese Gaines as the first three contacts in his/her speed dial.  But there’s always the chance you come back for a second helping.

II. The Courting — So you called him/her.  Can’t say I blame you.  You had a good time.  It’s not like you’re going to go watch a basketball game with this person on the next date, right?  However, if it progresses further, you’re going to find you die-hard fanhood to be an obstacle. As a UK fan, you’ve got to overcome the stereotypes that cause rival fans to dislike you from the get go.  Then you’ve got to make sure he/she isn’t an a**hole rival fan.  By the time football season rolls back around, maybe you two are getting pretty serious and want to attend the UK vs. UofL game together.  At the tailgate, you wear blue  and your significant other wears red.  All your mutual friends give you shit for it, but you smirk at each other and hug.  On the inside, however, you may be cringing…

III. The Marriage — He/she sucked you in, damnit.  After years of courtship, one of you popped the question.  Your wedding was both red and blue themed.  The Card fan friends sat on one side of the aisle, and the ‘good guys’ sat on the other side.  Like mixing together Bud Light and Miller Lite, the crowd was a ‘Kentucky Champagne‘ of sorts.  The reception lasted until 4am, at which point the police arrived to extinguish the burning coach.  A couple weeks after the honeymoon, she comes home with a bag full of “House Divided” crap.  She flashes the House Divided license plate at you and asks if you can screw it on ASAP.  At this point, you proceed to throw up in your mouth.

IV. The Divorce — Like Luke Wilson in Old School, you arrive home early from work, just in time to walk in on a terrible sight – your partner and several other UofL fans are rewatching the 1992 UK vs. Duke game wearing red and black.  You open the door to see Laettner sink the bucket and the supposed ‘love of your life’ jump up from her seat to cheer.  You lock eyes with him/her and the whole world comes crashing down.  You start to question that whole ‘opposites attract’ thing and being having recurring nightmares about Pete Thamel, Pat Forde, and NCAA sanctions.  This marriage is never going to work.  The house has truly and finally been divided.  Eventually, you move out and file for divorce.

Ah, sweet cynicism.  Of course a relation between a UK and UofL fan can work.  These were merely hypothetical scenarios.  I know from experience that it can be an extremely fun relationship filled with some good-natured banter and it will really make you stop taking your fanhood so seriously (something I used to do).  Give it a try.  Or not.  I see both sides of the argument here.  Either way, there could be some really angry hook-ups between fans in NOLA.

You guys got any good stories about sleeping with (or at least attempting to) the enemy?  Comment below with funny anecdotes.

And if you see if inter-fanbase mingling, romance, or violence going down in New Orleans, feel free to tweets pics or jokes to me, @ChrisThomasKSR.

Article written by Chris Thomas

44 Comments for Sleeping With The Enemy

1. Jimi Garden of Eden
    10:35 am March 30, 2012 Permalink

Scientific fact…birds have little weiners…take note UK girls…

2. DH
    10:41 am March 30, 2012 Permalink

1. Plus they have a pecker on their face

3. _Blackhawk_
    10:43 am March 30, 2012 Permalink

Clash of the Titans – is it Saturday yet?!?!

4. Coach Cal
    10:45 am March 30, 2012 Permalink

Enjoy our title while it lasts, because it’ll be vacated a few years down the road.

5. Jimi Garden of Eden
    10:46 am March 30, 2012 Permalink

.2…lmao…that’s why we call them Peckerheads here in the Garden…..

6. Rick's of Key West
    10:47 am March 30, 2012 Permalink

Got hit on by another dude on spring break. Then he threw up an L, I figured that was a par for the course.

7. B
    10:47 am March 30, 2012 Permalink

4 – So clever….. And original too!

8. Coach Cal
    10:51 am March 30, 2012 Permalink

Anthony Davis told me if we win the title he’ll shave off each side of his unibrow.

9. Jimi Garden of Eden
    10:51 am March 30, 2012 Permalink

4… Why don’t you vacate this thread?

10. Billy Clyde
    10:52 am March 30, 2012 Permalink

I got boned a couple of times by Rick. Ruined my life.

11. Eric
    10:53 am March 30, 2012 Permalink

I married a UofL fan been trying to sleep with her every since . . .

12. Billy Clyde's Love Child
    10:53 am March 30, 2012 Permalink

Dad, I thought you said Bill Self was my father?

13. Coach Cal
    10:54 am March 30, 2012 Permalink

Vacate

14. 8pril
    10:54 am March 30, 2012 Permalink

No way me and my wife could make it if she was a UL fan. Hell, we have a heard enough time watching the game together now, and we’re both UK fans. lol

15. Coach Cal
    10:55 am March 30, 2012 Permalink

I still can’t figure out why Terence Jones is always scowling…must be because he knows eventually all the games he’s played for me won’t count.

16. SteveM
    10:57 am March 30, 2012 Permalink

Anyone who marries a U of L fan should get no sympathy from anyone. What a dumb-assed thing to do!!!

17. Ridge Runner
    10:59 am March 30, 2012 Permalink

Shall we say…. “Certainly a different article here -than I would have expected”. Yeah, thats how I’ll phrase it. Anyway…

14..haha, I hear ya.

18. UK_Coach
    11:01 am March 30, 2012 Permalink

Hey Louisville Fan, Wanna meet up and have a beer. Maybe in Morehead? Still too soon? What about Porcinis. A%$ Clown wannabe

19. Jimi Garden of Eden
    11:01 am March 30, 2012 Permalink

15…so he should transfer and let Pitino teach him how to be a fine upstanding family man…

20. Delk for-3
    11:07 am March 30, 2012 Permalink

Off topic—but is anyone else on here old enough to remember the UK mascot on stilts in the background of that picture? That thing fascinated me as a little kid growing up in the 70’s and early 80’s. I seem to remember it being called ‘Boo Blue’—like an anti-mascot or something—or maybe it was just ‘Big Blue’.

21. Jimi Garden of Eden
    11:09 am March 30, 2012 Permalink

20…I remember…can’t remember his name…

22. Ridge Runner
    11:13 am March 30, 2012 Permalink

20…Never thought he had a separate name like Scratch does. He was just a Mr. Wildcat –on stilts during I think the Turpin/Bowie twin tower era. I could be wrong.

23. Think Much?
    11:19 am March 30, 2012 Permalink

#15-Keep trying. Maybe you’ll come up with something original or amusing. I won’t hold my breath, though. You are a Cretin, No?

24. Oops
    11:20 am March 30, 2012 Permalink

A UK cheerleader (male) might bang the hell outta a uofl cheerleader (female), but he ain’t bringing her home to meet Momma and he ain’t marry’n her. Those girls all look like strippers from PT’s. The rules are the same for strippers and uofl cheerleaders (female) – have as much sex as you can with her, but NEVER get emotionally attached. You don’t want the mother of your children to have been poked more than a pin cushion.

25. merebh2
    11:22 am March 30, 2012 Permalink

My brother who was raised a UK fan went to Louisville during the unspeakable era and is marrying a cards fan in a month, and she converted him. Unforgivable. On top of that the wedding’s in Louisville, guess I’ll have to start some CATS cheers during the reception, or just disown them both.

26. Vol Hater
    11:25 am March 30, 2012 Permalink

I dated a UT alum/huge fan for 4 years. It ended very badly this past August which made the fotball win SO sweet, not to mention the tailspin of the Vols basketball programs.

27. catfan38
    11:26 am March 30, 2012 Permalink

No way, Jose!!! Go Cats!!!

28. EKY Cat Fan
    11:39 am March 30, 2012 Permalink

Dated a girl that went to UofL when UK beat the #9 ranked in football in 07. I was the only UK fan in the building and i ran around the block twice when Stevie got Loose.

29. Eric Crawford
    11:49 am March 30, 2012 Permalink

My husband is a U of L fan, withme being a back door UK fan I let him pound the cats every once a while of you know what I mean.

30. Look out, Fireworks!!
    11:54 am March 30, 2012 Permalink

This is the type of post that is beginning to make KSR worthless. It used to be the best, most enjoyable place to get the newest insider information on UK athletics. Anymore you have to sift through posts such as this in order to get real information. Pity.

31. Powerlifter165
    12:02 pm March 30, 2012 Permalink

30 Question is do you let him pound the back door every once in a while?

32. blueclue
    12:07 pm March 30, 2012 Permalink

31 Don’t know what you’ve been reading! Most ridiculous manner possible! Sounds like a troll trying to trash our KSR guys to me. Get over yourself and go to another site then.

33. KnightIsFruity
    12:19 pm March 30, 2012 Permalink

As a kid, the wildcat on stilts scared the hell out of me.

34. Rockfield,KY
    1:08 pm March 30, 2012 Permalink

I actually was interested in a girl a few years ago that was interested in me back, and I couldn’t believe it bc she was out of my league, or so I thought. After talking to her and I found out she was a UofL fan and literally had nothing to do with her from that moment on. I need a lady with a brain and 9/10 UofL fans are lacking in that area.

35. Grayinrichmond
    1:14 pm March 30, 2012 Permalink

Boo blue was the little kid holding the boo blue sign. He was dresses as the
    Opposing team mascot. Both of them were children of a 101 member

36. Delk for-3
    1:17 pm March 30, 2012 Permalink

34—ha!! I loved him and his slow walk for some reason!
    36—-thanks for that clarification. My adult mind is kinda foggy on my little kid memories

37. Jeromyinsimp
    1:43 pm March 30, 2012 Permalink

My wife was a ul fan when we first met. Didn’t take her long to convert and actually it was her idea for us to have a UK wedding. We had the local news come down and actually tape it too. Its on youtube under Kentucky Wildcat Wedding. I think every ul fan wants to convert, they just need a reason too… GO BIG BLUE!!!!!

38. the spank
    2:11 pm March 30, 2012 Permalink

My wife has good luck UK panties that she wears for big games, and I was able to convince her they only work if combined with half time sex. I guess it has nothing to do with UL but I wanted to brag.

39. Bdiddy
    2:34 pm March 30, 2012 Permalink

I hooked up with a UL fan before. I used to finger blast her with an “L” too. Pretty much the only enjoyment I ever got out if it…

40. VacatedWinNumber24
    2:49 pm March 30, 2012 Permalink

KSR is so retarted. If you think that UK fans do have brains then you havent been in a redneck southern part of Kentucky

41. CATS
    4:45 pm March 30, 2012 Permalink

I am obviously a UK fan or I wouldn’t be on this site, but my boyfriend is a Hoosier… Generally the rival doesn’t cause problems for us unless it’s basketball season, then all hell usually breaks loose. But I love him anyway!

42. Big Boo
    5:31 pm March 30, 2012 Permalink

Off-topic. The mascot on stilts was called Big Boo. He was created when Rupp Arena was opened in 1975. The idea came from the fact that Rupp Arena was twice as big as Memorial Coliseum and having a mascot on stilts would, in some way, make those in the upper level feel like they were more involved. The costume still exists and may make an appearance when UK wins #8.

43. Look out, Fireworks!!
    5:37 pm March 30, 2012 Permalink

BlueClue- I’m not a “troll” and it seems you too may need to get over yourself a little for complaining about anyone who feels the site has gotten a little too “high school newsletter.” My apologies to you for making my comments in the comments section. Bringing up the “most rediculous manner possible,” the rest of that sentence mentions basketball, football, and recruiting NEWS, which is the reason a lot of Cats fans love the site, for it’s fan’s eye view into the program.