Show Up for the Seniors, Join the #PackCommonwealth Movement

Unless your Danny Trevathan, Senior Day is usually one of the last times a player puts on his pads.

Unless you’re Danny Trevathan, Senior Day is usually one of the last times a player puts on his pads.

At only 21 years old I haven’t had the opportunity to experience many sporting events. I have seen some great games, like the North Carolina game last year at Rupp. I’ve seen a few strange ones as well. During the 2008 wind storm in Louisville, I watched a middle schooler punt a ball for -30 yards. That was a weird game, but it doesn’t touch what happened yesterday at Commonwealth Stadium. They couldn’t pay people to show up with more seats empty than filled. Our Section 206 sideshow with #TeamPatrick drew more attention in the stands than the performance on the field. With the game dwindling down Rob Bromley told me, “Hopefully you’ll see many more seasons, but you probably will never see anything like this again.”

With the team 1-9 and only 2 games left in the sad season, there’s not much left to say. The coach for next year is still uncertain, as Joker will be the head coach for his last time in Commonwealth. If the fans were trying to make a statement by not showing up, they did that yesterday. It is time to set aside grievances and support the lone remaining class with a bowl victory. Senior Day vs. Samford isn’t an attractive game, but the seats SHOULD BE FILLED.

It is much easier for eager freshman to continually be excited to be on the playing field, but for a Senior that has seen success in the SEC it is gut-wrenching. La’Rod King is one of Kentucky Football’s Top 10 Wide Receivers. Yesterday he had to take the field in an empty stadium. He’ll never say that it impacted his performance, but King is not the type of guy to drop two 4th down passes that would have been for 1st downs. The 17 Seniors deserve the chance to end their careers with a win in front of an enthusiastic Commonwealth Stadium crowd. For most, it will be the second to last game of football they will ever play: don’t let them leave the sport they love with a bad taste in their mouth.

In 2 weeks when Kentucky plays their final home game of the season on senior night, a movement has already begun for the fans to “Pack Commonwealth.” The movement is in an attempt to show support for the players, the future of the program and Joker Phillips for his contributions and years of service to the Kentucky football program and University (not just as a coach, but also as a player and assistant coach). Use the hash tag #PackCommonwealth on Twitter and other social media outlets to spread the word if you wish to join the movement.

#PACKCommonwealth @RoushKSR

Article written by Nick Roush

"Look upon the doughnut, and not upon the hole." @RoushKSR

69 Comments for Show Up for the Seniors, Join the #PackCommonwealth Movement

1. goUKats
    6:09 pm November 4, 2012 Permalink

The dye has been cast,the Joker era ia at an end,and the fams have been listened to.Hopefully all those current season ticket holders and the thousands of others well heed your call and fill Commonwealth for the Samford game.
    Lets show whomever the perspective coach may be,that Kentucky fans are fully supportive of their football program.

2. SexnNursinHomes
    6:09 pm November 4, 2012 Permalink

Everyone’s in disatsorphication, but go out and support the Srs.

3. Supporter
    6:13 pm November 4, 2012 Permalink

Support the players and future

4. Dr Juray
    6:14 pm November 4, 2012 Permalink

Well, I have season tickets, so I’ll be there (Pending Mulligan Mitch’s apology to the BBN.)

5. Tailgate Ban
    6:14 pm November 4, 2012 Permalink

#DoNotPackCommonwealth

6. Why now?
    6:15 pm November 4, 2012 Permalink

Why call for support now, after joker’s been fired? If you, KSR, has the power to change, why not call for it sooner, when these kids really needed it? What’s the point now as opposed to then?

7. 84Cat
    6:16 pm November 4, 2012 Permalink

I would go, but there’s that small thing about the AD calling entire fan base racist.

8. Rick
    6:17 pm November 4, 2012 Permalink

Seriously. I was there yesterday and, as disgusting as the team has been this season, no senior who has busted his tail for four years deserves to go out like that. I’ll be there in two weeks, buying a $6 hot dog and probably drunk, but I’ll be there.

9. SANTA CLAUSE
    6:21 pm November 4, 2012 Permalink

NO THANKS, MATT. NICE TRY THOUGH,,, MAYBE JOKER SHOULD USE SOME THAT 4 MILLION AND BUY UP ALL THE TICKETS IF HE REALLY CARES SO MUCH ABOUT THE KIDS. YEAH RIGHT

10. Ukalum
    6:22 pm November 4, 2012 Permalink

A packed commonwealth would show the seniors love and a coaching candidate what the UK fan base is made of. Show up for the future of the program.

11. Tailgate Ban
    6:23 pm November 4, 2012 Permalink

#BanMattJones

12. William
    6:24 pm November 4, 2012 Permalink

To prove our fan base isn’t racist, our next hire should clearly be Wesley Snipes. Our O-line won’t be blockin’ sh*t – but they’ll be karate kickin’, bad mother F’ers.

13. Cutthroat Trout
    6:24 pm November 4, 2012 Permalink

Everyone….just hold one a minute….quit worrying about football…UK is a CHEERLEADING SCHOOL! #supportJugs&Buckets

14. KCK
    6:24 pm November 4, 2012 Permalink

I’m not paying a dime for this football team until Microwave Mitch apologizes for his… ahem… comments. #boycottcommonwealthandmitch

15. Iucansukabigblue.....
    6:25 pm November 4, 2012 Permalink

Lets all do this. Our house has been divided for entirely way too long. Put aside all the negativity and lets do this for our Coach and Senoirs.

Cause in the end we are all Wildcats or we would not be here.

Go Big Blue!!! Call to arms Wildcats. Lets go!

16. Gabe
    6:26 pm November 4, 2012 Permalink

Its not just the coach its the players that suck as well. So im not going untill UK has good players and that looks to be a long time from now.

17. ukbabydoc
    6:26 pm November 4, 2012 Permalink

I will consider attending, provided Barnfart decides to e-mail a retraction for his statements. I say e-mail, because that is the only way this DB AD seems to know how to communicate. He definitely doesn’t have the marbles to say it out loud.

18. UKISGREAT
    6:30 pm November 4, 2012 Permalink

#Letmeinforfree if that happens i will go. I am not going to shell out 40 bucks to see them get blow out.

19. niaps
    6:37 pm November 4, 2012 Permalink

I totally support the pack the stadium idea to support the seniors who had to endure 3 years of Joker. Also let all the players know that a new beginning is about to start.

20. john
    6:42 pm November 4, 2012 Permalink

9 – Not sure how Joker buying all the seats somehow fills the stands. The point of the movement is not to sell more tickets to the game, rather, it is to have a good environment for the graduating seniors in their last home game.

21. MB
    6:42 pm November 4, 2012 Permalink

I will increase the price of tickets by $15 for the last game.

22. 84Cat
    6:49 pm November 4, 2012 Permalink

Seriously, this comment by MB cannot stand. We deserve better!

23. SANTA CLAUSE
    6:57 pm November 4, 2012 Permalink

20. BUY THE TICKETS & GIVE THEM AWAY FOR FREE.

I’M NOT GOING TO SEE THIS TERRIBLE REGIME PLAY SAMFORD EVEN WITH FREE FRONT ROW 50-YARD LINE SEAETS. WHY IN THE WORLD ARE WE PLAYING A CRAP TEAM ON SENIOR DAY ANYWAY? RANDY & RICK SUCK TOO… WHO WANTS TO SEE THEM COACH? ID RATHER WATCH BOB SAGET ON NETWORK

24. Paducahfan
    6:59 pm November 4, 2012 Permalink

There was no agenda. Football is entertainment and there is no reason to watch this team. They will do just fine in two weeks without me. I didn’t adopt them – I just go watch them play. Sorry if their feelings are hurt.

25. Dave
    7:00 pm November 4, 2012 Permalink

I say refuse to pack the stadium. Keep the pressure on until they hire a coach who is worth a damn.

Now is not the time to buckle or give kudos. The fans need to send a message by staying away. Show up for the tailgate and the walk but stay out of the stadium.

26. Dave
    7:03 pm November 4, 2012 Permalink

THERE IS A LOT LEFT TO SAY!

The most important being; “DON’T F*CK UP THIS HIRE, MICROWAVE MITCH!!!”

27. UKBlue1!
    7:04 pm November 4, 2012 Permalink

I have no faith that Barnhart will try to hire a good coach.

28. Hal Mumme
    7:08 pm November 4, 2012 Permalink

Miss me yet?

29. Newt
    7:12 pm November 4, 2012 Permalink

This seemingly disingenuous movement (I pray) is the last depressing nail in the depressing coffin that’s been 2012 UK football. As a Blue-bleeding alum, I wish nothing but the best for all these kids that suit up & represent UK. But let’s be clear…yesterday, the Florida game, Arkansas…a lot of those young men quit. With that irrefutable fact & a lame-duck coaching staff, I’ll save my football-ticket money for upcoming years when I know the passion to win will be evident–even if the talent on the field falls short. Selling out Commonwealth is a reward this team & specifically our Athletic Director don’t deserve right now. It’s just not.

30. UKBlue1!
    7:20 pm November 4, 2012 Permalink

Barnhart needs to go!

31. kjhgfdsa
    7:22 pm November 4, 2012 Permalink

go to the game

32. kfund
    7:23 pm November 4, 2012 Permalink

I’ll consider attending the game once Mitch apologizes. I expect his apology by email since he didn’t acknowledge the hello I gave him to his face at the Northwood game.

I’ll consider attending since the service members turned down my offer of free tickets. I haven’t had a chance to call the orphanage yet and see if they want them.

33. Linda Taylor
    7:25 pm November 4, 2012 Permalink

The point is not only to give the seniors a good farewell but to also show prospective coaches that the pitiful spectacle that was CWS yesterday is not what is to be expected of UK fans. We need to show our players and possible coaching hires that we are back behind this team 100%.

Remember people are interpreting “personal agenda” as racist, when it may not have been the meaning behind those words at all. I do think Mitch needs to address this. If and when he does, keep in mind he just had to fire one of his best friends and probably feels like you know what.

34. J A Brooks
    7:28 pm November 4, 2012 Permalink

I’m all for packing the house on Senior Day. I’ve long said that I support the players I just don’t support this coaching staff. By suddenly packing CWS it kind of says “ok we’re happy now.” and it shows that the fans aren’t terrible fans but just weren’t happy with Joker’s lack of ability.

However, how can anyone endorse attending the games before Mitch makes some kind of effort to apologize for his comments against the fan base the day before he fires him.

35. Formerly section 136
    7:31 pm November 4, 2012 Permalink

Call me when Mitch is gone.

36. Logic
    7:33 pm November 4, 2012 Permalink

I refuse to send the message that just by firing Joker all is well. No CWS again for me until it is clear that Barnhart is bringing in competent coaches and plans to fund football adequately enough to make it competitive. Thank you Senoirs, but won’t be able to join you.

37. jessie Jackson
    7:34 pm November 4, 2012 Permalink

The Rainbow Collition is in full agreement with Mitch. UK fans are a bunch of racist and bigets.
    Now, before UK moves forward to hire another fb coach….the Rainbow Colition fully expects to be involved in the decision making process.
    However, we have an election to try and steal before we can focus on hiring a coach…will be in touch.

38. WoW
    7:39 pm November 4, 2012 Permalink

If people still actually monitor these comments at KSR, please remove 37…then give his computer the same virus I got from this site last year.

39. Bluehaz
    7:40 pm November 4, 2012 Permalink

This is grade school chatter…get real and act like half intelligent humans . Put your mouth in neutral and your brain fast forward.

40. Chuck
    7:41 pm November 4, 2012 Permalink

People can do whatever they want about the Samford game. I’ll probably go since Ive been doing it for 38 years as long as the Rev. Mitch doesn’t start leading us in prayer. Besides, I’ve always wanted to see Samford play.

41. rondodog
    7:44 pm November 4, 2012 Permalink

Have had season tickets for over 40 years and have NEVER missed a senior day. These young men are worthy of a classy goodbye (even if some of you thing they don’t play hard enough – perhaps they have not been properly motivated) Joker also deserves some respect, not for losses or a lack of head coaching ability, but for being a classy representative of the University I know and love.

42. Virus
    7:48 pm November 4, 2012 Permalink

There is a lot of truth to the comment made in the post by 37, esoecially the part about trying to steal the election. Wishing a virus on someone is mean spirited and goes against the liberal agenda…..WoW, you are a discrace to liberals, and to the Rainbow Colition!

43. J A Brooks
    7:52 pm November 4, 2012 Permalink

33) See I disagree. You make it seem as if the fans were pitiful in their abandonment of CWS yesterday but that was the fans final attempt to show Mitch how disgusted they were with his comments and the state of the program.

I’ll never understand the people that want 70k to show up in the rain and cold to cheer their butts off for a 1-8 team that eventually got beat 40-0 by another struggling team.

Doesn’t that send the “we don’t care if we’re good at football” message?

44. theSkinny81
    7:58 pm November 4, 2012 Permalink

37 – judging from the grammar and spelling, that comment had to be written by a carrot.

45. RealFan
    8:01 pm November 4, 2012 Permalink

I hate sports fans in general. They’re fickle and largely uneducated about sports. I will leave the boasting U of L football fan alone today to bash my Big Blue Brethren. So now we’re gonna start #packcommonwealth …to show the players support? So you slap them in the face all year and now —because like little brats you finally got what you wanted—you’re going to support the players. Stay home. We don’t need you. The players don’t need you. Mitch had it right, real fans showed up to games.

46. DoubleA
    8:14 pm November 4, 2012 Permalink

To #45, kudos to you. You’re one of the few on here that get it.

47. J A Brooks
    8:20 pm November 4, 2012 Permalink

45) You’re the definition of idiotic sports fans. I watch every game and I’ve always supported the kids. I didn’t support the coach. I’ve never been one to run down a college player and everyone that wears a jersey has my support. However, anyone that is poor or simply can’t afford it and decides to get groceries instead of going to the game is not a real fan? That’s simply moronic.

We agree about 1 thing, I hate a lot of sports fans… in my case I hate fans like you that think you’re a better fan because you go to the games. I would go to every game if I could… but I can’t afford it.

Fans like you also think not supporting a coach is the same as not supporting the kids or the university. I am guessing that by realizing a coach like Joker is bringing the program down and therefore wanting him gone in order increase the likelihood of success in the future is actually the definition of supporting the program…

48. theSkinny81
    8:27 pm November 4, 2012 Permalink

47 – so the 50,000 that didnt show up against Vandy couldnt afford it that day? who bought the tickets, some rich guy? wait, coal money???

am i missing something here?

49. Linda Taylor
    8:27 pm November 4, 2012 Permalink

43 – On the contrary, I think UK fans in general are very good fans. I just don’t want prospective coaches to think that is a typical Sat. in CWS. Fans have made their point, they got what they wanted, Joker is gone. Let’s put it behind us and show that we are ready to support a new coaching staff 100%. That is all I am saying. This will be our only chance to show these young men that we appreciate their hard work over the 4 years they have been here. Are we going to be so petty that we are going to punish kids for something their AD said? I hope we are better than that.
    As far as Mitch’s statement, it was made immediately before the game on the pregame show and I doubt it had anything to do with the turnout Sat.

50. chuck
    8:43 pm November 4, 2012 Permalink

Was anything said about the 12,000 empty seats at “The John” to watch the #10 undefeated Cardinals beat mighty Temple? Give UK fans a #10 ranking and an 8-0 record and see how many empty seats you’d have. Sorry for getting off the subject, that was for any UL fans. What message does that send Charlie Strong if some SEC school comes calling promising to fill an 85,000 seat stadium.

51. 3cats
    9:05 pm November 4, 2012 Permalink

where can I read the statement the Mitch call UK fan racist? No report of it on KSR

52. The Joke was on Us
    9:23 pm November 4, 2012 Permalink

#45 Im with 47 it’s my money. If I want to go to the game I will if I don’t I’ll stay home. Don’t ever think I need your elitist ass’s approval any way. You have already said your not a sports fan so you are probably one of the jackass’ who can’t hold his liquor and makes such a ass out of yourself that I can’t take my kids to the games with me.
    Seniors on the team. I thought we didn’t have any and that’s why we had to play all these young guys. So our coaching staff has throwed these guys under the bus all year to try to save their jobs. Now they act like they have their backs to sell tickets. That’s a real class move.

53. Magloire the Professor
    9:23 pm November 4, 2012 Permalink

Yeah, great idea — pack Commonwealth, show them we love them and have their back, no matter what — after it’s too late. What a backhanded compliment.

I’ll never understand the sentiment that allows Kentucky football fans (in general) to have this front-running sense of entitlement.

You go to the game to cheer our players (and coach) because they’re in blue, and they’re battling a team that’s not. To boo and yell at the refs, because they’re refs. To stand and clap the fight song every single time it’s played, because it’s our fight song.

If they win, that’s awesome — no better feeling. To respond to a loss by acting like the team personally affronted you by wasting your personal time and money is disgusting.

54. Linda Taylor
    9:24 pm November 4, 2012 Permalink

51 3cats – Barnhart never outright called UK fans racists. What people are referring to was in yesterday’s pregame show on the radio with Tom Leach. Barnhart made a comment about thanking the (now I do NOT have the exact words here, just a paraphrase) “real fans” for coming to the game and said that those who are critical of Joker must have “personal agendas”. People have interpreted personal agendas as Mitch calling fans racist. Mitch really does need to address this because it may not be at all what he was thinking or intended to convey and many have been offended by it.

55. The Joke was on Us
    9:27 pm November 4, 2012 Permalink

#48 what do you mean Coal money? Coal money has built UK. Coal money has made our athletic department as well. If you don’t beilieve me just look at the names on the building and how they made their fortunes. Do you think Elmer Whitcker made his millions at the bank. All those Whitcker Bank shots came from coal.

56. The Joke was on Us
    9:37 pm November 4, 2012 Permalink

What else could have Barnhart meant? Think it’s been stated a lot this year that most fans like Joker as a man ,just didn’t like his coaching. Barnhart was wrong and should own up to his mistake. He would make one of the coaches. I’ve don’t think Jokers skin color had anything to do with like fans displeasure. Sure their is a few morons who didn’t like him because he is black, but very few. And one will and every fan base will have a few like that not just Kentucky. Comments like Barnhart’s is way keep being branded as rednecks to the rest of the country. 95% of kentuckyians have moved on with the times .

57. Wtf
    9:44 pm November 4, 2012 Permalink

Wtf am I going to complain about now joker is gone

58. facts
    9:58 pm November 4, 2012 Permalink

#EffinPlease #DontWannaWatchLosers

59. SoCal Will
    10:05 pm November 4, 2012 Permalink

Has anyone ever seen Danny Trevathan and Wale together?

60. Kentucky Rain
    10:35 pm November 4, 2012 Permalink

Matt Jones has lost his fire to stand up for the little guy!!

61. 2020
    10:44 pm November 4, 2012 Permalink

NR: “King is not the type of guy to drop two 4th down passes that would have been for 1st downs.”

Are you kidding? King has been dropping good-for-1st-down passes his entire career. He’s patented that move. Just ask Morgan Newton’s dad if King has good hands. And I’ve heard of players blaming packed stadiums for making them choke. I’ve never heard the “stadium was too quiet for me to catch the ball” excuse.

62. anonymous

Hire Chris Peterson!

66. anonymous
    10:46 pm November 4, 2012 Permalink

The reality is, number 65 is the least likely to accept

67. 47makesmypoint
    6:31 am November 5, 2012 Permalink

47. you just made my point for me. You are the idiot sports fan who.cannot read…makes an irrelevant point…and tries to play victim.
    Affording tickets isnt why people havent shown up to games. 40,000 people bought season tickets and 3/4 of them didnt show up Saturday. Quit trying to pull that victim bs.

68. stan
    8:19 am November 5, 2012 Permalink

I agree with #56.COMPLETLY!! Matt,if youcan convince Mitch to say he is sorry for his stupid comments,My family will come. But not when OUR TEAMS A.D. CALLS US NOT REAL FANS AND COMES AS CLOSE AS YOU CAN TO CALLING ALL OF US WHO WANTED JOKER OUT A RACIST!! It doesn’t take a brain surgeon to figure out that is what he was saying. Come on Matt,time for you to hold his feet to the fire over this,don’t let him sweep this insult under the rug.

69. Dolfan66r
    11:25 am November 5, 2012 Permalink

Matt, I am with #56 and #68. I also will make a commitment to come to the game when Barnhart issues an apology for his statement towards “real fans” and those with “personal agendas”. Cmon. I saw the end coming three years ago when we used Cobb as a decoy and played not to lose against Tennessee two years ago called by the coach in waiting.