SHOCKERS! Wichita State’s In The Final Four

Wichita, Kansas is moving to Atlanta, Georgia for the week after the Shockers became the first 9 seed since the tournament expanded in 1985 to make it to the final weekend of the Big Dance. Wichita State upset 2 seed Ohio State, 70-66 in the West Regional Final to punch the school’s first ticket to the Final Four since 1965, and their 2nd all-time appearance.

The Shockers controlled the game early and hung on despite a late Ohio State surge. Wichita did so by holding the Buckeye’s big 3 of Thomas, Craft, and Ross to combined 14 of 46 shooting. Wichita State goes on to face the winner of the Louisville-Duke Regional Final tomorrow next Saturday night in Atlanta. With the possible matchup now, I’d say Big Blue Nation may be on #TeamShockers come Saturday.

Article written by Will Totten

Born in Indiana and raised in Louisville, I am the unlikeliest UK fan.

56 Comments for SHOCKERS! Wichita State’s In The Final Four

1. BlueKolonel
    10:15 pm March 30, 2013 Permalink

ADIOS SUCKEYES!!!!!!

2. barn
    10:17 pm March 30, 2013 Permalink

not bad for a team that lost the 5 leading scorers from last years team

3. DukeHater
    10:18 pm March 30, 2013 Permalink

Go Cards!!! I hate Duke. I’m sure most of the sheep on here will root against uofl though.

4. why
    10:23 pm March 30, 2013 Permalink

people keep posting that we should cheer for the Cards to win it all? that only gives them braggin rights to being collectively BETTER than UK in recent BB history … BETTER … final 4 and title v. title and NIT first rd loss. WHY WOULD I CHEER FOR THAT ? at least if Duke wins the rest of non-Durham cheers against them the rest of the way as well

5. Jerk
    10:26 pm March 30, 2013 Permalink

Can’t root for duke or Louisville, will wait to see who wins, and root for there opponent,.. Hopefully the shockers, but not realistic. I am rooting for the cuse, the only team that has a chance against louisville, I think Louisville will beat duke, so hopefully familiarity will help cuse to stop the tards!

6. Bob Skallen
    10:29 pm March 30, 2013 Permalink

I’m not rooting for Duke of UL. The way I look at it is that no matter what at least Duke or Louisville will lose tomorrow.

7. Goty
    10:29 pm March 30, 2013 Permalink

Ohio State lost by 4 after going ice cold in the first half AND playing against the sorriest excuse for officials I have yet seen in the tournament. If they had called the whole game the way they did in the first half, Ohio State would have won easily.

8. Lil c
    10:32 pm March 30, 2013 Permalink

Man, this sucks!! UL will win tomorrow, and then they’ll go on to win the whole thing. I wish there was a way Duke and UL can lose!! Ugh.

9. Bobbum man
    10:35 pm March 30, 2013 Permalink

Everybody loves a good shocker

10. Bilbobaggins
    10:38 pm March 30, 2013 Permalink

7- that rant made absolutely no sense. I think you we’re whining but it’s tough to tell.

11. Bilbobaggins
    10:38 pm March 30, 2013 Permalink

*Were. Auto correct.

12. NKY_UK_fan
    10:42 pm March 30, 2013 Permalink

I guess Thad Matta can go back to catching smurfs now. #Gargamel

13. overrated
    10:43 pm March 30, 2013 Permalink

big ten overrated? what say you?

14. Big John
    10:43 pm March 30, 2013 Permalink

Any word on who’s returning? From what I’ve heard, harrow will not be back.

15. Jeremy
    10:45 pm March 30, 2013 Permalink

Like I’ve said 100 times, ohio state is over rated and so is their “shut down defender” Craft, he can’t stay in front of Julius mays!!

16. SoCal Will
    10:46 pm March 30, 2013 Permalink

I wonder if many Jayhawks fans are angry and jealous because a second team in their state is experiencing the fun side of sport?

17. mashburnfan1
    10:47 pm March 30, 2013 Permalink

7}if not for refs the suckeyes would have been out 2 games ago vs Iowa State. I guess suckeye fans think all refs should cheat for them like the ISU game…

18. David
    10:51 pm March 30, 2013 Permalink

I’m so happy! OSU fans talk trash to UK fans all day every day. They think they’re so great. Love it that they lost!

19. Culver
    10:53 pm March 30, 2013 Permalink

I’m officially a Shockers fan for the rest of this tournament. No way in hell do I want to see UofL or Duke win it for obvious reasons…and I can’t root for Florida just because of the Noah effect. Syracuse fans are the worst, and Boeheim is just a whiny b*tch. And Michigan, well I have the most arrogant relatives who are diehard Michigan fans…and I HATE the bastards! So lets go Shockers!

20. David
    10:57 pm March 30, 2013 Permalink

15, so true. Craft is way over rated and slow.
    13, yes, the big ten is indeed over rated as well! They’ve been exposed today.

21. David
    10:58 pm March 30, 2013 Permalink

19, go Shockers!

22. CATandMONKEY
    10:59 pm March 30, 2013 Permalink

SHOCKERS! One in the…….. 😉
    Why cheer for Duke or UofL?

23. Dr. Funke
    11:07 pm March 30, 2013 Permalink

Are people forgetting about florida? Honestly other than UL I think Florida has looked the best in the tourney so far. I hope they win, it is nice to have another basketball power in the SEC and I’m tired of all the talking heads talk about how bad the SEC is. If they pull it out, next year could be three straight for the SEC.

24. Mike
    11:08 pm March 30, 2013 Permalink

Hope rumors are true that Harrow won’t be back. I also hope the same applies to Poythress. Cal would be a little disingenious if he allows him to come back since basically his “non-coachable” comments were directed at these two. If the rest want to come back then that would be cool.

25. Gus Chiggins
    11:11 pm March 30, 2013 Permalink

The filthy cards are gonna get to a championship game by playing one team that’s better than an 8 seed, figures

26. Casey Johnson
    11:13 pm March 30, 2013 Permalink

Could Louisville possibly have an easier path to a championship? I mean, a 16, a 12, a 9? The only good opponent they’ll even face is Duke.

27. mashburnfan1
    11:13 pm March 30, 2013 Permalink

23} UF looked good against who. They have played a 14, 11 and 15 seed and struggled with FGCU going 2 stretches of like 6 plus minutes with no fg. I can get 5 people from work and get to Elite 8 playing the teams UF played.

28. reasedru
    11:14 pm March 30, 2013 Permalink

As a cat fan living in ohio, i was glad to see the suckeyes bite it…Ill be rooting for Duke to put down the cards tomorrow, then ill take 5 showers..

29. Shock this
    11:15 pm March 30, 2013 Permalink

Louisville or Duke will cruise to championship. No way in the world Wichita advances to championship. Louisville pressure will make it a rout. They struggled against Ohio St press the Louisville press would embarrass them. I might vomit in my mouth but GO Duke.

30. reasedru
    11:15 pm March 30, 2013 Permalink

#12 hilarious!!!

31. wonder boy
    11:16 pm March 30, 2013 Permalink

PLAY ANGRY!!!!!!!!! CONGRATS SHOCKERS…

32. yanny
    11:20 pm March 30, 2013 Permalink

it’s the wiggins effect. go shockers!

33. Dr. Funke
    11:22 pm March 30, 2013 Permalink

27 – Florida shot less than 40% in that game and crushed FGCU. FGCU got off to a hot start and Florida owned them the rest of the way.

34. Wojo
    11:27 pm March 30, 2013 Permalink

Ohio State has paid off the refs all tournament. Wichita hate to beat Ohio State and the three refs

35. mashburnfan1
    11:27 pm March 30, 2013 Permalink

34] let UF shoot less than 40% against Michigan and it will be game over. IF UF gets by Michigan they better shoot near 50% to beat Syracuse.

36. mashburnfan1
    11:28 pm March 30, 2013 Permalink

34} plus it is freakin FGCU that you are bragging about beating. You know Lipscomb beat them twice so UF doing it seems petty

37. geezer
    11:47 pm March 30, 2013 Permalink

Wichita St is perfect example of why Cal’s system will never work. We need 4 year players that are consistent and guarantee a spot in the final four every year. Cal has got to go. He will never win big here with the one and done players.

38. frew drunklin
    11:50 pm March 30, 2013 Permalink

i still can’t believe Villanova beat Georgetown in Rupp in 85

39. frew drunklin
    11:51 pm March 30, 2013 Permalink

38. geezer you, sir, are a complete and total dumbass.

40. frew drunklin
    11:52 pm March 30, 2013 Permalink

9. my old lady really prefers the “show-stopper”

41. Mark Liptak
    12:09 am March 31, 2013 Permalink

Well looks like the best bet to prevent either Duke or Louisville from going to the title game went down the tubes when Ohio State got beat. Oh well. Pull for Michigan to beat Florida and either them or Syracuse to beat either the Cards or the Blue Devils. Still a chance for a good tourny for UK fans.

Mark Liptak

42. Syrin
    12:19 am March 31, 2013 Permalink

Man oh MAN ! How much did they pay the refs at half time to bail out OSU ?!?! Those refs shouldn’t be allowed on a court ever again.

43. M
    12:35 am March 31, 2013 Permalink

Agree 42. In the bonus for more than half of the 2nd half. It’s funny looking at what I’m guessing is a homer in #7 on here. I had no interest in the game and as an objective fan, saw that it was the Shockers vs. 8 in the second half. Glad they stayed composed late so the refs couldn’t bail out OSU again.

44. Chicago Chris
    1:49 am March 31, 2013 Permalink

Witchita St. is a great story… but looking at their pre=tournament resume and it’s hard to understand why they were even a lock to make the tourny. They beat one ranked team all year, Creighton, who they lost to later twice. They lost twice to Evansville, lost to Indiana St., Southern Ill, Northern Iowa and Tennessee.

I don’t think UK deserved to get in, but looking at Witchita St., it’s hard to say their resume was much better.

45. Jetblue
    5:54 am March 31, 2013 Permalink

Yo Geezer it worked last year retard.

46. rockatao
    5:59 am March 31, 2013 Permalink

Wichita resume may be no better than UK, but their team sure as heck is

47. JPhelps
    8:20 am March 31, 2013 Permalink

ESPN analyst just said that he was contractually obligated to mention that it is the first time Pitino has faced Duke in a tourney since 92. Proof the media loves rubbing that loss in UK’s face. They’d put it in a contract.

48. Beavis's mom
    9:10 am March 31, 2013 Permalink

47. And why would he not mention it? It’s not proof of anything. Analysts always delve in to the history of teams when they play at this stage of the tournament and tell which team won the last meeting, the records of all their meetings and so forth. To think they just do it to rub it in to UK’s face, is just ignorance.

49. Delk for 3
    9:12 am March 31, 2013 Permalink

3 — You will root for Louisville? Please hand in your UK fan card. I personally would like to punch you right in the mouth.

50. Delk for 3
    9:15 am March 31, 2013 Permalink

48 — Agreed.

51. geezer
    9:38 am March 31, 2013 Permalink

You don’t need to call names. Take a second look at all the teams of the past final 4 UK teams. This year = no 4 year players. Last year Darius = final 4. Year before Josh = final 4. Year before no four year players= no final 4.

52. UK Freshmen
    10:42 am March 31, 2013 Permalink

Interesting. I wonder what coaches like Marshall, Smart, etc. could have done with the talent that UK had this year?

53. FudgePhart
    10:57 am March 31, 2013 Permalink

52. I guess we’ll never know, will we? I wonder how your mom’s life would have been different if she had given birth to smart kids. i guess we’ll never know.

54. Timothy
    7:38 pm March 31, 2013 Permalink

Louisville won. I sure hate them. Hope for a Wichita st. upset. Being upset in tournament history. Wichita wins it all.

55. Gary
    10:25 pm March 31, 2013 Permalink

Shock this. You know that Wichita State was kicking Ohio States a##. tHEY DIDN’T START TO MAKE A MOVE UNTIL ONE OF OUR BEST PLAYERS GOT HURT. When the Shockers tried to protect a lead rather than be aggressive, bad things started to happen. If the Shockers had no injuries and pushed the same the whole game it would still have remained a blowout.It is Ohio State that was outclassed by the Shockers. Ohio is pretty good but they have to many streak shooters that play pick-up style games on a play ground.

56. Gary
    10:27 pm March 31, 2013 Permalink

Chicago Chris, The MVC conference defence is super stingy, that is why.