Shabazz’s father says Adidas didn’t make the decision

Ron Holmes, the father of Shabazz Muhammad, is tired of hearing your Adidas comments. The accusations that his son picked UCLA because of the uncomfortable shoe brand are completely false, according to Holmes. He claims Shabazz is going to UCLA to “bring a storied program back to prominence.” He wants his son to be the guy who saves the Bruins.

Ummm… Yeah. Right.

It typically takes more than one year to turn a program around and no one will convince me that Shabazz is sticking around to be UCLA’s savior. Adidas had a huge impact. Shabazz’s sister is the No. 386th ranked tennis player in the world and she has a a deal with Adidas — it’s a family thing. You’re not fooling anyone, Ron.

End of discussion.

Article written by Drew Franklin

84 Comments for Shabazz’s father says Adidas didn’t make the decision

1. Adibazz
    11:04 am April 13, 2012 Permalink

2. Laker Cat 18
    11:05 am April 13, 2012 Permalink

It’ll take them more than a year to bring that hell-hole back to the top of college basketball.

3. My birthday!
    11:05 am April 13, 2012 Permalink

Today is my birthday!

NATIONAL CHAMPS!!

4. Chris
    11:05 am April 13, 2012 Permalink

Or it’s close and he wants to score 50 points a game.

5. Laker Cat 18
    11:05 am April 13, 2012 Permalink

1. Congratulations, you sir are my hero.

6. Jimi,Garden of Eden
    11:06 am April 13, 2012 Permalink

Smoke and mirrors…Sam Gilbert’s ghost lives!!! Not fooling anyone…

7. beard_brain
    11:07 am April 13, 2012 Permalink

Isn’t that what Wall did for us?

8. best1978
    11:07 am April 13, 2012 Permalink

He wants to be THE MAN and take all the shots but that doesn’t make him a bad person.

9. GoCats2
    11:07 am April 13, 2012 Permalink

I have nothing against Shabazz, it might be just the case that this wasnt the right fit for him. I honestly believe that he wants to play a big 2 guard and that spot was already filled by Goodwin. He is looking to be “the guy” and get about 20 shots a game and he was not going to get that here. Nothing against the guy and I wish him the best of luck selling out Pauley Pavillion while we are looking for #9.

10. FakeRichard
    11:09 am April 13, 2012 Permalink

How can he go to UCLA over my chickens when the chickens are an Adidas school? BTW. I live in my mom’s basement and I actually take time to post on another teams website. I am such a loser!

11. One_Man_Wolfpack
    11:09 am April 13, 2012 Permalink

Don’t really care why he chose ucla, he is a big boy. He made his decision–do what you can afford. Go cats!

12. Scott Cooper
    11:10 am April 13, 2012 Permalink

I don’t trust him or his dad or Howland, especially after that article about how he runs things. I think this will be great for us in the long run.

13. Steve Jobs
    11:10 am April 13, 2012 Permalink

I see a lot of similarities between this UCLA recruiting class and the Morris, Crawford, Rondo, Bradley class that Tubby brought in. You’ve got a coach on the hot seat bringing in talented players that don’t necessarily fit into their systems. The failure of that class was the beginning of the end for Tubby at UK. Wouldn’t shock me one bit if Howland sees the same fate.

14. KyGirl
    11:11 am April 13, 2012 Permalink

#7 Yes and no. It was John Wall who brought the swagger back to the program but come on you have to give Coach Cal a lot more credit than you are. Ben Howard just had three top recruits fall into his lap, now lets see if he can actually coach them half as well as Cal

15. Listen, Listen to me, LISTEN TO ME
    11:12 am April 13, 2012 Permalink

The Bazz is a great talent and he has selfishly put that talent on display in the several HS all star games. I, for one, am not upset he is not a CAT and if we can land Mr. Bennett, I will be perfectly content (assuming Lamb or Teague returns). My longwinded point is – WHO CARES ABOUT BAZZ – hopefully this is the last story about him.

16. shorthop69
    11:12 am April 13, 2012 Permalink

This is stupid and makes us look bad. You really should take it down.

17. minton
    11:12 am April 13, 2012 Permalink

Hey # 7. It took Wall, and Cousins, and Bledsoe, and Patterson, and …. Calipari. It took more than just one person.

18. time
    11:12 am April 13, 2012 Permalink

so Teague didn’t have anything to do with Nike end of discussion but Shabazz did 100% have something to do with adidas end of discussion

19. Shampoo
    11:13 am April 13, 2012 Permalink

Well, don’t get me wrong I think your right about Adidas playing ball, however Shabazz wants to play with Kyle Anderson over any other factor and as far as sister, my uncle is a former tennis player at UK and teaches Tennis and he is sponsored by Wilson, so not sure you can really say that. But shadiness galore surrounding his momo, and I wanted him but think he could have been a chemistry killer. Go Cats

20. Blue Balls
    11:14 am April 13, 2012 Permalink

Who cares. He’s a well-spoken, bright kid who went to a school near his family. Nothing is the least bit shady about him

21. mocha
    11:14 am April 13, 2012 Permalink

this guy is so full of it.

22. Adam
    11:15 am April 13, 2012 Permalink

23. Roland
    11:15 am April 13, 2012 Permalink

Maybe, it is not HIS way, but Shabazz didn’t ACT like someone to excited bring back anything. He didn’t act like he was EXCITED to be a bruin. Perception says, he was BREWIN MAD.

24. JBazz
    11:16 am April 13, 2012 Permalink

Mr. Holmes might have a little easier time selling that argument if he wasn’t a Southern Cal alum. Why in the world would he want UCLA to return to prominence?

25. kdh2011
    11:17 am April 13, 2012 Permalink

John Wall turned a program around in 1 year.

26. NotSatire
    11:18 am April 13, 2012 Permalink

I’ll be surprised if the Bruins make the NCAA Tourney.

27. MKG for supreme ruler of the universe.
    11:18 am April 13, 2012 Permalink

My guess is that his sister’s sponsorship is now as solid as a 386th ranked womens tennis player can be.

28. Drew Franklin
    11:18 am April 13, 2012 Permalink

25. — I would say Calipari did.

29. Al B. Sure
    11:20 am April 13, 2012 Permalink

It doesn’t matter to me one way or another about Shabazz. He didn’t choose UK, so that officially ended me giving a crap about him. I couldn’t care less why he is at UCLA or whether or not he is at successful. The only thing that matters to me is that he is not a Cat, so he doesn’t matter at all to me any more.

30. Recruit bashing
    11:20 am April 13, 2012 Permalink

Why throw stones in a glass house? Not saying we do anything dirty at UK because I don’t think Cal has to do that to recruit at all – any former issues with Rose and company were issues with the players and other people, not the players and Cal. But, still, should we really be mud-slinging at recruits that don’t choose us?

Unless you have proof aside from circumstantial evidence, you outta just let sleeping dogs lie.

31. GoCats2
    11:24 am April 13, 2012 Permalink

#31 seriously??

32. Listen, Listen to me, LISTEN TO ME
    11:26 am April 13, 2012 Permalink

28. Right on!
    29. Ditto!
    31. FAIL!

33. Mquiz16
    11:29 am April 13, 2012 Permalink

#18 because Nike gave a starting PG on a playoff team a contract that’s why Teague came to UK. Cmon. She is ranked 386 for Christs sake. Walmart wouldn’t have give her a shoe contract. Much less Adidas.

34. Kentucky1159
    11:29 am April 13, 2012 Permalink

#31 I do not want myself associated with you. Please don’t claim “we are BBN” because my sentiments do not resemble yours in the slightest.

35. Big Blue 66
    11:31 am April 13, 2012 Permalink

this type of thing happens, no big deal…BUT….how much was the shoe contract for his sister and when was it made, if the normal contract for a 375th ranked player is 10K and they paid her 200K, then the payment to Bazz just had his sisters name on it, if the contract w the sister was in line and normal, nothing to see here.

36. C.M. Tomlin
    11:33 am April 13, 2012 Permalink

Hey, c’mon everyone, let’s be realistic here.

Everyone knows that if you’re a kid who wants to get to the NBA, it’s only the smart thing to do to sign to a school beleaguered with controversy where you’ll have no support and be the only player on the team in an effort to “return to prominence” a program in a city you’re not from and with which you have no other real tie than the fact you just signed a letter saying you’ll go there. Get off his back.

37. My Titties Hurt
    11:33 am April 13, 2012 Permalink

#30 Good point!! I think Shabazz knew he was going to UCLA the entire time. It’s close to home, family, and friends for him. He will be a top 5 draft pick after next season regardless oh how badly UCLA tanks. I was especially impressed with how well-spoken he was on ESPN, which will be an asset (in addition to his playing ability) for him when it comes to landing sponsors in the NBA. Bottom line…he didn’t need UK and UK didn’t need him.

38. bluesince66
    11:34 am April 13, 2012 Permalink

Someone really needs to delete comment 31.

39. UKFanInCincy
    11:35 am April 13, 2012 Permalink

A Ball hogging One and Done player is not going to bring a storied program back to prominence. Just letting you know. Its going to take someone that is going to be with the program for many years to do that. Maybe someone like…. John Calipari.

40. lolcats
    11:35 am April 13, 2012 Permalink

lmao @ UK fans bitching about a shoe company influencing where a recruit goes.

Nike, WWW, CAA. ‘nough said.

41. Onthetoilet
    11:38 am April 13, 2012 Permalink

First!

42. VIRGINIA CAT FAN
    11:39 am April 13, 2012 Permalink

My guess is that Cal told Bazz what would be expected of him if picked the Cats, and was asked not to pick Kentucky unless he was fully comitted to the concept of team ball. In other words, play defense and share the ball, and don’t come to Kentucky thinking you will shoot the ball 20-30 times a game. I think Bazz merely opted to play for a team where he could showcase his individual talents more. I think his decision was in the best interest of both he and Kentucky.

43. Horny UK fan
    11:41 am April 13, 2012 Permalink

All I’m gonna say is OJ Mayo…..Bazz will end up just like him.

44. Laker Cat 18
    11:42 am April 13, 2012 Permalink

14 & 17. Agree 100%. Howland’s not on Cal’s level. The problem for me isn’t UCLA, I’m sure it’s a nice place. Howland just can’t coach.

45. Ron Holmes
    11:43 am April 13, 2012 Permalink

My son’s real name is Shadidas.

46. Kitty O'Shea
    11:44 am April 13, 2012 Permalink

@lolcats…Wasn’t Wall a WWW kid and a Nike lock? What happened after he left Lexington. The whole shoe drama seems overrated. A kid (and his agent) are going to take the best deal coming out of college no matter who sponsored their AAU or college team. Let Shabazz be at UCLA. Cal is on a talent run only beaten by Wooden in the 70’s. Let the one that got away in 4 years get away.

47. MKG for supreme ruler of the universe.
    11:45 am April 13, 2012 Permalink

He’ll be a lottery pick without question. But yeah, not coming to UK probably cost him 3-4 draft positions and a few million dollars of lifetime earnings due to the lack of publicity he will get.

48. stan
    11:48 am April 13, 2012 Permalink

Not a good fit for us anyway if he wanted to take 30+ shots a game,I wish him the best, but doubt he can bring UCLA back to any sort of threat. I hope if they make the tourny, we are in their bracket, sweet justice.

49. Bunzz
    11:50 am April 13, 2012 Permalink

I bet he ends up with an Adidas deal, shortly after his freshman year, as well…

50. Reality
    11:51 am April 13, 2012 Permalink

Didn’t others say the same about Teague though?? remember his brother Jeff, who is not an NBA star by any means…got a contract with Nike around the time MT committed? Just saying, the accusations goes both ways sometimes. so if we are completely on the up and up, why assume UCLA/ADD is dirty.

51. Cash
    11:59 am April 13, 2012 Permalink

Adidas shoes are nice.

52. I Say
    12:01 pm April 13, 2012 Permalink

We have the Number 1 Draft Class for the fourth consecutive year and you all are complaining about a recruit we missed on. Quit being titty babies about it jeez. Sorry Cal wasnt able to get the Number 1 and 2 recruits in the nation to play on the same team. Shabazz will be good at UCLA for the one year he is there other than that theres nothing really to say. Besides, we needed Nerlens twice as much as we Needed Shabazz. In fact we didnt even need Shabazz, if You dont remember we have the second or third best shooting guard in the class in Archie Goodwin. Quit being so Selfish.

53. Earl
    12:01 pm April 13, 2012 Permalink

Cause he is a ball hog and cal didn’t want him. Let’s see the championship in one season, one man does not a championship make. We dont need no stinkin Mohammed

54. I Say
    12:04 pm April 13, 2012 Permalink

And to look at it in a different perspective, if your Shabazz and you know your going pro and the rules say you have to go to college for a year you might as well kick it in L.A right? Thats exatcly what OJ Mayo did so its hard to blame Shabazz for doing it. Plus UCLA does have a great recruiting class coming in without Shabazz.

55. I Say
    12:05 pm April 13, 2012 Permalink

Excuse me, Number 1 Recruiting Class^

56. Amaze Pants
    12:07 pm April 13, 2012 Permalink

43 is right. Cal’s comments before the telecast pretty much said it all. UK isn’t for everyone. Would have loved to have been a fly on the wall when Cal asked Bazz what he can do for the team if he’s not scoring. My guess is his response sealed the deal.

57. Amaze Pants
    12:09 pm April 13, 2012 Permalink

Oop, 43 is now 42 since the offensive post was removed. I am referring to Virginia Cat Fan’s comments.

58. David Ball
    12:10 pm April 13, 2012 Permalink

Shabazz wants his shots…he wasn’t going to get his shots at UK (well, he would have had a few)…the Adidas thing is a sideshow (but it did influence his decision)…but at the core of it all is Shabazz wanting to promote Shabazz (and not the team name on the front of the Jersey)…he will be a better college player than Harrison Barnes, but he, like Barnes, will leave college without a championship…but will be in the top 10 nationally in scoring…that will be his legacy (akin to Reggie Miller at UCLA)…and really, it’s addition by subtraction (or in this case just avoidance)…I think A.Bennett will now come to UK (whereas had Shabazz come to UK, Bennett goes to Florida)…something in that tells me all I need to know about how other players view Shabazz’s game…. what killed me (read laughing hysterically) is when Shabazz mentioned UCLA being the leader in championships (unless you don’t count the NCAA turning their collective backs to Sam Gilbert)…one title over the last 36 years for UCLA…4 and counting for UK in the same time frame…funny stuff that

59. MustacheMan
    12:17 pm April 13, 2012 Permalink

Who cares. Its over with – bazz is going to UCLA so he can shoot 400 shots a game. That doesn’t fit with Cal and his system, so he kid went elsewhere. He’ll be jealous when we are hanging number 9, but until next season lets enjoy number 8.

60. Hilbert
    12:19 pm April 13, 2012 Permalink

Those pukey looking UCLA shows need to be taken off this sight PLEASE!!!!!!!!!

61. Hilbert
    12:19 pm April 13, 2012 Permalink

SHOES I MEANT

62. I Say
    12:30 pm April 13, 2012 Permalink

Those Shoes are sick

63. bluefan
    12:30 pm April 13, 2012 Permalink

Ehhh, I think he made a bad decision but I couldn’t care less. Nerlens is the one I really thought we needed. AD is going to leave a gaping hole in the middle. Nerlens also seems to be a team first player, seems to genuinely like the other recruits (who are also going to be a major force for us), and is quite a character. Love him already.

All due respect to John Wall, love the guy, but Cousins is rocking the NBA in case you haven’t noticed. Patterson is and was amazing. Main thing is, Coach Cal is the best and deserves ALL the credit for the success of the teams.

64. Big Brother Blue
    12:31 pm April 13, 2012 Permalink

Wanted to be close to Mom and Dad, wanted to be the king. In LA he will be the king of the entire West Coast collegiate scene (once football season and Matt Barkley end). OJ Mayo did the same thing go where you can truly market yourself the most. It’s not that I think there would have been substantial chemistry problems, Cal wouldn’t recruit someone he thought was a liability. I think it came down to Shabazz didn’t want to play second fiddle to ANYBODY, or even share much limelight. I’m not saying Adidas didn’t have a minor role, but I think it was just that minor.
    On a side note…THANK GOD WE ARE NIKE. Those shoes are hideous.

65. Shadidas
    12:32 pm April 13, 2012 Permalink

Lay off my sneakers!

66. Mkgistebow
    12:33 pm April 13, 2012 Permalink

Shabaz is going to be a top 5 pick wherever he goes. La is comfortable, it’s home. Not everyone is willing to come to little ole rural Kentucky, put in the hard work,and pay the price to win a national championship. Good luck to shabaz(even tho that’s the last thing he needs)but I’m glad he didn’t commit because winning a championship obviously wasn’t a priority for the young man. Go cats and go cal-keep on getting the best players with the biggest hearts and fiercest attitudes to come play for us!

67. Chuck
    12:34 pm April 13, 2012 Permalink

UCLA will return to glory? In one year? Lou Alcindor ain’t walkin through that door. We are talking about Ben Howland. I’m not scorned the kid chose that school, but don’t bs about it.

68. Han
    12:43 pm April 13, 2012 Permalink

Kinda hard to turn a program around when the same coach who let thugs and drug-users run his team is still there.

69. Pete
    12:49 pm April 13, 2012 Permalink

I heard who ever came up with $400,000 got Shabazz. No thanks if that’s true. With the back ground on Shabazz, he might not end up eligible anyway….

70. Ky Fan
    1:02 pm April 13, 2012 Permalink

Don’t agree with #62 at all

71. fiddlestix
    1:23 pm April 13, 2012 Permalink

You won’t find Cal bashing Shabazz. Follow his lead.

72. I Say
    1:31 pm April 13, 2012 Permalink

If those shoes were white and blue you all would love them. Fact.

73. johnny
    1:31 pm April 13, 2012 Permalink

I can’t believe you get paid to post crap like this…..this is ESPN.com forum troller, bush-league BSjournalism…get off Shabazz’s nuts. He didn’t pick you, get over it. Respect the man for wanting to bring a great program back into the limelight. It’s not like UCLA didn’t make 3 straight final 4’s just 4 or 5 years ago. They also picked up the #3 recruit in the country in case you weren’t paying attention, so them being totally irrelevant next year is pure homer-ism by you. The second a great player doesn’t commit to Coach Cal, he must clearly be doing something against his own will and shady….2 programs left in the dust to burn, that’s all I gotta say.

74. tennessee wildcat
    1:53 pm April 13, 2012 Permalink

Shabazz sure didn’t look very excited when he announced for ucla. Hmhe looked like he wanted to just get it over with. We will do fine without him but either hood or another recruit will need to step forward as a backup at the 2 or 3.

75. SagaciousMind
    1:55 pm April 13, 2012 Permalink

I really like those shoes, they are pretty bad ass. I agree they would look better blue and white though. But like Drew said, daddy aint foolin no one, we aint dumb. He never once smiled or looked happy after he committed, and he never really talked about UCLA, not like he did UK. I think its sad when parents mess these situations up for their kids, but, Shabazz should have pulled a John Wall and went where he wanted to go. Guess he’s daddy’s puppet.

76. SagaciousMind
    1:58 pm April 13, 2012 Permalink

73, your about as stupid is they come. Everybody and their mama knows Adidas and an exchange of money between UCLA and his dad is why he went there. And you’re also a dumbass if you dont realize Cal’s former schools got in trouble for what his PLAYERS did. The NCAA cleared him, he has ZERO violations. Why dont you go find another school for cheer for! And if you dont like what is posted on here, THEN DONT READ THE SITE!

77. Douche Franklin
    2:07 pm April 13, 2012 Permalink

I post dumb shit, and some people love it.

So his parents and a shoe company wanted him to go to UCLA, and he did not want to go to UCLA otherwise (he secretly wants to go to UK but is scared to say so)? Okay, there’s probably no chance that is accurate.

If that is seriously true then how many members of the last 4 #1 recruiting classes went to UK for reasons other than wanting to play at Kentucky?

Take his mouse away from him, Matt!

78. Usernametaken
    2:12 pm April 13, 2012 Permalink

It’s not like Nike hasn’t helped us.

79. Give me a Racoon, please.
    2:45 pm April 13, 2012 Permalink

Serious question: what the hell is Adidas?

80. tdr76
    3:08 pm April 13, 2012 Permalink

We got the guy we needed most. The kid has a right to go where he wants, he will probably regret it, but lets focus on who wants to be in Lexington.

81. Head Scratcher
    4:05 pm April 13, 2012 Permalink

The 1st guy Anthony Davis hugs after UK wins the title was Phil Knight Nike president and the UK fan base is really gonna stir the pot about Shabazz and Adidas.

82. Dane Brammage
    6:32 pm April 13, 2012 Permalink

Father Ron Holmes, no relation to Jonnt, is also denying that his Boy Bruin will be changinh his name to:
    Shabadidazz MuhammAdidas

83. Earl
    7:52 pm April 13, 2012 Permalink

Cal has already went to final 4 with less talent than next years team. Can’t win it all every year anyway. I think next season can be more fun than any cal has had since he came to Lexington, no pressure he has finally won a championship

84. Betheman
    10:56 pm April 13, 2012 Permalink

Making this decision to help bring the Bruins back,was his selfish parents idea. This isn’t the era where you sign an Alcindor, or Walton and having the only seven footer guarantees you multiple championships. How many banners does UCLA have since college basketball became a more level playing field? Hmmm…I have no idea and neither does anyone else without googling it. Shabazz let his parents bully him into a bad decision. A shame to see a great kid like him not do what HE wants to do.