Shabazz upset after teammate’s buzzer-beater?

UCLA defeated Washington at home last night on a buzzer-beater from Larry Drew II, so you’d think Shabazz Muhammad would be ecstatic, right? Eh, not quite. You can see, and hear, Shabazz demanding the ball from Drew II right before the UCLA point guard drove and hit the game-winner. Shabazz was visibly upset he didn’t get the ball, but he really showed a poor attitude after the shot went in.

As Scott Van Pelt points out in the clip, Shabazz casually walked past the pile of Bruins during their celebration, without any emotion. You can form your own opinion about what’s going through his head, but to me it looks like he’s upset he didn’t get the ball. And if that’s a case, he is an incredibly selfish teammate.

That’s not being your brother’s keeper.

Article written by Drew Franklin

75 Comments for Shabazz upset after teammate’s buzzer-beater?

1. MJ4UK
    11:19 am February 8, 2013 Permalink

That was a Dic* Move

2. JoeC
    11:22 am February 8, 2013 Permalink

Wow, glad he didn’t come to UK. He could’ve made our season worse with that attitude. Couldn’t even give his teammate credit.

3. Duck Butter
    11:24 am February 8, 2013 Permalink

Remember when Shabazz picked UCLA and everyone said they would be irrelevant and he would be forgotten on the west coast? He is in a situation where the team has no hope of doing anything in the tournament (if they make it) so he has to look out for himself. UCLA under Ben Howland is a place where there is no point in “buying in” to the team concept. The question is, who DIDN’T see this coming?

4. Huntsville Cat
    11:24 am February 8, 2013 Permalink

Selfish M*ther F*$%er, as Cal would have said.

5. Ridge Runner
    11:25 am February 8, 2013 Permalink

We know there is an “I” in that team. Evidence for sure.

6. Devil's advocate
    11:25 am February 8, 2013 Permalink

I am not a Shabazz apologist, but I think this may be misleading. It seems to me that he clearly gives the shooter a big bear hug right after the shot. Am I wrong here?

7. bigbluebear
    11:25 am February 8, 2013 Permalink

Way to make something out of nothing… Maybe Shabazz didn’t feel like beating a bad Washington team at home in the last second was worthy of that type of celebration. We would kill any sportswriter who tried to make an issue out of this from one of our players.

8. ummm
    11:26 am February 8, 2013 Permalink

Actually 2 i wish he would have came to UK because coach Cal knows how to handle the attidudes of these young stars and keeps their ego’s in check! I am not even sure UCLA will make the tourny this year and that gym was half empty last night so i am sure there is more going on there.

9. mike
    11:26 am February 8, 2013 Permalink

In his defense, that shot by Drew was pretty bad. Lucky it went in.

10. Not An Indiana Fan
    11:28 am February 8, 2013 Permalink

Celebrating a win over Washington? Those kids should be ashamed. At least Baz knows not to rush the court! The rest of that team needs to shape up. Act like you’ve been there before

11. WhateverDude
    11:29 am February 8, 2013 Permalink

7 actually I think it would be the opposite…we would have a melt-down if one of our players didn’t celebrate with the team. Then we’d be posting on here, b*tching about it.

12. Ridge Runner
    11:29 am February 8, 2013 Permalink

7 & 9- In “his” defense? huh? – “Making an issue”? wtf? Guys, if “team” isn’t practiced, played, experienced, and preached…there is no foundation to the sport. period.

whatever man.

13. Sam
    11:29 am February 8, 2013 Permalink

6: Bear hug? Didn’t see it on the video above. Watch the guy with the fluorescent yellow socks. No hug from him. He was clapping hard for the ball though, that never came his way. LOL.

14. Cats
    11:30 am February 8, 2013 Permalink

You know the more I read about Shabazz Muhammad, the happier I am that he picked UCLA. He is the epitome of a selfish teammate that could care less about the school, the tradition, the fans. Shabazz is all about Shabazz (and his gucci backpack).

15. Azubuike's Bicep
    11:31 am February 8, 2013 Permalink

6- I didn’t see the hug. Where is it at in the video?

16. Chicago Chris
    11:31 am February 8, 2013 Permalink

#6 I don’t think he even gets near the shooter afterwards. He walks past the pile like he’s a player on the opposing team. It’s a lot to draw an inference from this short video, there could be other tension between Muhammad and Drew that’s unrelated to this. But it doesn’t make sense why he wouldn’t be very happy after a buzzer beater, no matter what. Would he have preferred scoring 24 points in a loss instead?

17. UK_Gr8ness
    11:32 am February 8, 2013 Permalink

I watched this as it unfolded. No, Shabazz did not “bear hug” Drew II and yes he was pissed about not getting the ball. This is the primary reason I was not sold on Shabazz Attitude coming to UK. It was a known fact then, that he is a “me” player!

18. mike
    11:34 am February 8, 2013 Permalink

@12 I’m just merely saying that the fact that Drew II kept it was a little ballhoggish and that they can’t expect to win consistently with that kind of shot selection. Maybe Shabazz actually sees the big picture rather than one lucky selfish play. Besides, what kind of guard doesn’t give the ball up to the best player on the team for the game-winning shot?

19. BlueinFL
    11:34 am February 8, 2013 Permalink

12) ridge runner, right on point.

20. big cat from the rock
    11:36 am February 8, 2013 Permalink

Selfish jerk!!! Glad he went to ucla. I told my Dad after watching him play several times that he was a ball-hog!!! A pic is worth a thousand words. Go big blue!!!

21. Jenny
    11:39 am February 8, 2013 Permalink

I think 6 is referring to Kyle Anderson on the left wing – who also looks pretty put off he didn’t get the ball. However, he did bear hug Drew right after the shot went in.

22. Amaze Pants
    11:40 am February 8, 2013 Permalink

I count at least 8 (Bruins piling on top of Larry Drew II).

23. Ridge Runner
    11:42 am February 8, 2013 Permalink

18, you have a point for a specific play -but the general message from the action Shabazz takes far outweighs that one play. The message showed here speaks volumes and clearly outweighs any one play. You can teach “plays” but that characteristic comes out from who he is and the other team feels it, see’s it, and it will resonate long term.

So, no…I just took issue when anyone says, “In his defense”.

24. Ridge Runner
    11:44 am February 8, 2013 Permalink

Guess I see this (behavior) as a long term and personal issue that shows a big black flag for him. Not that one play where “should Drew have driven by himself or passed”.

25. Jughead
    11:45 am February 8, 2013 Permalink

There were two selfish moves. Drew should have passed the ball (#1), and Shabazz Hussein acting like a duckwad. Typical for UCLA under Howland.

I hate LA.

26. Randy
    11:49 am February 8, 2013 Permalink

So much for, WE WIN TOGETHER and WE LOSE TOGETHER. Dude should have played golf.

27. Musehobo
    11:49 am February 8, 2013 Permalink

First instinct, he looked like he wasn’t as excited as he should’ve been. And I have no problem with him wanting the ball. But let’s be real. If this was one of our freshman, we might be upset at him, but we’d shrug it off as something an 18 yr old would do and move on. This is not that big of a deal, and there’s no reason to crucify the dude.

28. devil's advocate
    11:50 am February 8, 2013 Permalink

13 – 16 – you guys are right – my bad. I had him mistaken for another player.

29. Objective
    11:53 am February 8, 2013 Permalink

Can you really infer so much from a 30 second clip? Do you know what happened in the locker room after? Do you know what was said in the huddle prior to the play? Maybe, it was drawn up for Shabazz. Maybe it wasn’t, but he understands that as one of the best playmakers on the floor he should have the ball at the end of the game. I didn’t see Ben Howland on the pile either. Is he not excited for his team? I want my best player at the end of the game to be a little selfish.

30. Ridge Runner
    11:55 am February 8, 2013 Permalink

27, no sir not me as I have too much Cawood Ledford in me I suppose. Didn’t care for Terrance Jones antics along with Cal and I called him out for it. And that, wasn’t even nearly the issue we have here.

Any kid that doesn’t celebrate with the team and can’t hold his individual hot shot emotions in check, will and should get the wrath of those that see it.

31. like cal said
    11:56 am February 8, 2013 Permalink

this program isnt for everyone

32. Ridge Runner
    11:58 am February 8, 2013 Permalink

29, You can justify and over analyze all you want but the bottom-line is this kid was more into himself than he was the teams success.

33. UKBlue
    11:58 am February 8, 2013 Permalink

They showed this on ESPN; he totally walked by the rest of the team celebrating on the floor. He can ball, but he is a punk.

34. bandalumnus
    11:58 am February 8, 2013 Permalink

Shabazz was 8-23 from the floor. He was jacking it up without conscience last night. No one gets 23 shots in Kentucky’s offense, and he still wanted one more shot. Yet, I love his desire.

35. don juan
    12:02 pm February 8, 2013 Permalink

You can’t make assumptions over this 30 second clip. I did find it interesting that Bill Walton was calling the game and he said that he didn’t Shabazz signed up for this. With all the excitement of college bball across the country Shabazz was playing in a half empty arena. He would not have had that problem at UK.

36. greg
    12:02 pm February 8, 2013 Permalink

What a douche, I’m glad he went to UCLA

37. NKyCatfan
    12:03 pm February 8, 2013 Permalink

Yes, this is one time that those of you justifying this are completely wrong. That dog won’t hunt.

38. Big Blue Swagger
    12:08 pm February 8, 2013 Permalink

Drew has actually made 3 game winning shots this year. As for Shabazz, he definitely appeared sour about not getting the ball & last second shot but he at least issued a statement defending what we all believe to be poor sportsmanship:
    “Yeah, I wanted the ball,” Muhammad said, smiling. “But I knew when Larry went up, it was going in. I waited until the guys got off him to congratulate him. I knew he was either going to have something broken or a lot of scratches.”

39. tennessee wildcat
    12:09 pm February 8, 2013 Permalink

I have not been that impressed with Muhammad since watching him in the McDonald’s game last April. Definitely a gunner and didn’t seem to me to be nearly as quick as goodwin. Glad in the end that he is there instead of at UK.

40. UK
    12:12 pm February 8, 2013 Permalink

I’m SOOOOO glad he didn’t come to UK. He is a spoiled punk! Wonder how he will handle Noel going overall #1 over HIM! LOL, Go Cats!!!

41. Helen
    12:13 pm February 8, 2013 Permalink

So glad he’s not a Cat!!! Tries that stunt in the pros and he’ll get eaten alive!!

42. Bulldawg
    12:13 pm February 8, 2013 Permalink

This makes Shabazz look like a punk. I also think it is very close to an accurate assessment. However, When Drew was the pg for UNC, their team was terrible and had great talent. When Roy Williams benched Drew II, (then he transferred) UNC became a competitive team. I think both players are very selfish. Bad move on both of them. Drew II better be glad he hit the heavily contested shot. He should have given it up. At the same time, Shabazz has no excuse for being a cry baby.

43. To be fair...
    12:26 pm February 8, 2013 Permalink

Larry Drew should have passed him the ball. Shabazz is much better at creating his own shot and he had enough time and space to create something better than a contested fadeaway jumper. Should he act like a petulant child? No. But Larry Drew should have put the ball in the hands of his team’s best shot creator in that situation. This is what happens when two gigantic egos and one awful coach collide. UCLA sucks, man.

44. tom5673
    12:27 pm February 8, 2013 Permalink

ucla is a joke. did anyone notice the empty seats in the LOWER level? and the upper level was empty. horrible fan base.

45. tom5673
    12:30 pm February 8, 2013 Permalink

wooden was a great coach, but in today’s world, he wouldn’t have won 10 titles and 7 in a row. he benefited greatly from players like alcindor and walton staying all four years. things were so different then. very hard to compare with the current state of college basketball.

46. Raazoul
    12:36 pm February 8, 2013 Permalink

You guys don’t get it do you? UCLA TEACHES SELFISH BASKETBALL. Ben Howland is the worst coach in America. Not counting BCG… He gives every good player the green light, disciplines no one ever and I’m sure wanted to have Shabazz take that last shot but none of his players give a crap what he thinks or wants. Shabazz is a good kid, but at UCLA you turn into a POS person and usually player. Just look at Demarcus in Sacramento, that atmosphere changes people.

47. Syrin
    12:59 pm February 8, 2013 Permalink

I was one of the few who stated openly during the recruiting we don’t want him or his attitude at UK. Looks like I was right. Plus, he’s over rated as a talent and out of shape.

48. Jimi
    1:01 pm February 8, 2013 Permalink

After some research….

Archie has most shot attempts on UK – FGA(243) FGM(102)

if you think he is a ball hog……..

Shazamm – FGA(285) FGM(82)

Archie shooting it better than Shazamm 🙂

49. Al's IndiCats
    1:06 pm February 8, 2013 Permalink

Really, who cares? Shabazz and that whole west coast circus is just that….a freak show. They both deserve what they have, and let no real team player put them under. U.C.L.A.= N.I.T. bound

50. beanie weanies for breakfast
    1:08 pm February 8, 2013 Permalink

Next game Drew should inbounds him the ball after the first made basket as he heads up court the rest of the team should just stay back on defense……What a DIVA!

51. I Say
    1:10 pm February 8, 2013 Permalink

#46 Over think things much?

52. TomK
    1:18 pm February 8, 2013 Permalink

Glad he didn’t choose UK! Princess Shabazz would have been a diva in the mix, distracting the other young talent that wanted to be in Lexington.

53. brian
    1:23 pm February 8, 2013 Permalink

his agent should tell him to cool it…could cost him in the draft.

54. Cat 97
    1:32 pm February 8, 2013 Permalink

Shabazz is a flat out selfish dbag. He didn’t show any positive emotion what so ever after the shot went in. What a freakin clown. I wouldn’t wanta guy that totes around a Gucchi bag anyway.

55. uk3k
    1:39 pm February 8, 2013 Permalink

He’s there to win championships and play in front of a roaoring crowd of hundreds. And to take Adidas’ money.

A true teammate gets as much joy (if not more joy) from their teams success as their own individual glory.

56. Musehobo
    1:41 pm February 8, 2013 Permalink

All I’m saying is if he played for us, I believe the contempt for the guy would be a bit more tempered. Sure we may not have liked it if that would have been us, but we wouldn’t act like he’s the second coming of Hitler. Stop being such blatant homers and show you have perspective.

57. Mark
    1:55 pm February 8, 2013 Permalink

56, and what the hell really is your point? Damn, when you sign to play for us you will be given some slack. Duh. But for him not to have signed, he was the enemy. Now, he’s an enemy who is a douchebag. damn man, leave it alone. It’s like saying the obvious which we already know. Your like folks who say nearly the same thing about big cuz. He’s given some, some slack but he acts like a jerk. If he had not played for us, he would have been an enemy jerk.

We get it. We have already gotten it. This is nothing new.

58. FakeJimi
    1:55 pm February 8, 2013 Permalink

#48: I hate Shabazz, but…

Shabazz:
    SEASON TEAM MIN FGM-FGA FG% 3PM-3PA 3P% FTM-FTA FT% REB AST BLK STL PF TO PTS
    2012-13 UCLA 601 131-285 .460 27-63 .429 82-113 .726 100 17 1 13 29 35 371

Archie:
    SEASON TEAM MIN FGM-FGA FG% 3PM-3PA 3P% FTM-FTA FT% REB AST BLK STL PF TO PTS
    2012-13 UK 713 105-243 .432 11-42 .262 102-153 .667 108 71 12 23 62 68 323

59. I say
    2:11 pm February 8, 2013 Permalink

56: That is really a dumb comment. If your kid acts as bad as the kid next door. Umm, who ya gonna single out when asked about bad kids in the neighborhood?

But I think runner has hit this on the head above. This is bigger than just some kid acting up. Team before me is taught and understood in grade school and you damn sure celebrate all victories as one. What happened, bazz?

60. Wampus
    2:15 pm February 8, 2013 Permalink

Yeah, 48 was looking at FT made, not FG.

61. Bill Walton
    3:11 pm February 8, 2013 Permalink

The bast part of the game was Bill Walton!!

62. SLINGBLADE
    3:36 pm February 8, 2013 Permalink

KENTUCKY “This isn’t for everyone”

63. bret1555
    3:57 pm February 8, 2013 Permalink

NO ONE on this board knows anything at all about Shabazz Muhammed and his motives – nor what he did after the clip, in the locker room, or at practice every day for that matter. Reminds me of the Rajon Rondo comments all the time – saying he didn’t play hard because of his “demeanor.” His demeanor is just the same in the NBA and he is one of the best PGs around… The funniest comment was ridgerunner saying he “called out” Terrence Jones. Unless ridgerunner is the internet handle of John Calipari or a member of the 2011-12 UK team/staff, then you didn’t call anybody out – you expressed your anonymous opinion.

64. Dr. Funke
    4:37 pm February 8, 2013 Permalink

58 – I don’t really see a clear cut winner of the two… Archie has more turnovers, but has way more assists (71-17), also has more rebounds, blocks and steals. I don’t know how you can look at those numbers and make the case that Shabazz has clearly been the better player this year.

65. Dr. Funke
    4:44 pm February 8, 2013 Permalink

I forgot that Shabazz missed some games early in the year. I guess you could make the case that he has had a slightly better year thus far but they also have much different roles on their teams. Shabazz is mainly out there to be a scorer while Archie has to do alot more for a young team to help them win.

66. GrumpyOldDude
    4:54 pm February 8, 2013 Permalink

63 – Hi Mr. Muhammad….your son is a selfish pr*ck, thanks.

67. $$$$
    5:15 pm February 8, 2013 Permalink

Shabzzz- it’s iny contract with ucla I get the last shot

68. Wildcatsteeler
    5:21 pm February 8, 2013 Permalink

That was pathetic. I’m glad he didn’t come to UK and I’m glad they suck. They aren’t going anywhere with attitudes like that on the team.

69. Mark
    5:27 pm February 8, 2013 Permalink

63, Bite me.

70. finnegan
    5:32 pm February 8, 2013 Permalink

So glad we didn’t get this guy. 63- The funniest thing on here is you.

71. finnegan
    5:33 pm February 8, 2013 Permalink

65- he’s mainly out there for him. Just leave it at that.

72. fatkidineastky
    6:04 pm February 8, 2013 Permalink

UCLA needs to light a fire under that program. Look @ what kind of fire their FB program is having under new regime.. Must now change BB regime to get that going again. Proud storied programs r good for BB as a whole (except IU) their fans are insidious morons

73. kevin l
    8:37 am February 9, 2013 Permalink

o was really upset the day shabazz announced for ucla on live tv becase he was so fashion forward sporting hs big black glasses with fake lenses. I mean how cool would it have been to have a fashion trendsetter on our team.

74. Kobe Bryant
    10:14 am February 9, 2013 Permalink

Man, that guy should have given Shabazz the ball. Then he would know what it feels like when I hit game winning shots. I’m crying just thinking about it.

75. Nvpack
    6:42 am February 10, 2013 Permalink

Living in NV I followed Bazz all through High School. He is a HEAD CASE!!! UK is lucky they didn’t get this “I” guy. The reason he picked UCLA is because he was told he would be the MAN. Here is an example, his jr yr at Gorman he was playing in a semi playoff game during the state tournament and was taken out early due to bad play. He became so angry he refused to go back in the game. Gorman ended up losing to a less talented Bishop Manogue team. Gorman was ranked in the nations top 20 that year. He is very far from being a team player.