Seven of eight CBS football experts agree: UK will finish last in the SEC East

Screen shot 2013-07-30 at 9.36.09 AM

We’re only a month away from the first weekend of college football, which means it’s time for the national media to churn out their conference previews. CBS Sports’ gurus don’t think too highly of Kentucky’s chances in the SEC; seven out of eight experts picked the Cats to finish last in the SEC East. Tom Fornelli was the lone CBS writer to put the Cats out of the SEC cellar, predicting they will finish sixth in the East, just above Missouri. I knew I always liked that guy.

How about the West?

Screen shot 2013-07-30 at 9.41.53 AM
Screen shot 2013-07-30 at 9.36.18 AM

Call me Stoopid, but I don’t think Missouri finishing above Kentucky in the SEC East is such a given. That game on November 9th is huge.

32 Comments for Seven of eight CBS football experts agree: UK will finish last in the SEC East

1. Boogie Fan
    11:04 am July 30, 2013 Permalink

I really can’t disagree with this. I’d love to see us beat UT, Missouri, and Vandy and finish 5th in the East, but this team lost every conference game last year, and got blown out in most of them. I think there will be a major improvement this season, I’m just not sure how much will be seen in the win column.

2. Delk for 3
    11:06 am July 30, 2013 Permalink

Missouri will finish higher than us. As long as QB James Franklin stays healthy, they will have no problem doing that. That’s a huge reason why they struggled so much last season. Franklin never was totally healthy even when he played. A healthy Franklin gives them a very dangerous offense.

3. Elkattio
    11:08 am July 30, 2013 Permalink

Of course, Dennis Dodd would be the odd ball to pick A&M over Alabama.

4. bigcat76
    11:09 am July 30, 2013 Permalink

Am I missing something here? Or maybe you shouldn’t like the guy too much because it looks to me like he voted them 6th.

5. NotSatire
    11:15 am July 30, 2013 Permalink

Take a good look at that, because I don’t think the standings will look anything like that on either division (except for Alabama).

6. Huh?
    11:18 am July 30, 2013 Permalink

Look, Joker left us nothing… I think we all agree on this.
    But I look for Stoops to Coach them up! Having said that i’m aware there is a ceiling due to talent but I don’t think 4 wins is out of the question with a possible 5 if the card drop the right way.

Again, I just hope Fans understand he needs min 3 years before real results may be tangible…

STOOPS!!!!

7. NO MATT JONES
    11:30 am July 30, 2013 Permalink

I don’t think UK will go winless in the SEC. I really think Stoops can steal some wins against teams like Miss State and Missouri. Part of the reason UK struggled so much was injuries as well. If our running backs and QBs stay healthy, UK’s offense is just as dangerous, if not more dangerous, than a team like Missouri. I think this might be one of those years to get one against Tennessee too. It’s at home, the crowd will be excited, the seniors will want a win. I think this year could surprise people and we could see 3 good SEC wins.

8. yes matt jones
    11:33 am July 30, 2013 Permalink

If we win 3 SEC games this year, I will slobber kiss every section number at commonwealth stadium.

9. just sayin
    11:45 am July 30, 2013 Permalink

I mean in 10 years UK has reached 3 SEC wins in 3 seasons. How is a team that went winless last year going to improve THAT quickly?

I’m excited, but this year isn’t going to be anything to count on. It’s the 2015 & 2016 football seasons that could be so awesome, not this one.

10. Bald Guy
    11:45 am July 30, 2013 Permalink

Last year’s team gave up mid way throught the 2nd quarter of the UofL game… My guess is, that Missouri and Vandy will be the ones to fall. This team will surprise a lot of people because frankly so many of you are bandwagon anyway and never watched a complete game last year to see that talent is there. No matter how you spin it we should have been more competitive than 2-10 folks. Expectations should not be sky high but to think we will not have a shot of winning 5 games is ignorant. These “experts” picked Auburn to be dead last in the West the year they won the National Championship. The same players with some motivation is enough for me to believe and now you are adding an up tempo offense (some weapons) and returning D-line with extra muscle (Zadarius)… I would rather prove the critics wrong than be like UofL and have the expectations of winning every game after nearly losing 7 last year… I can’t wait to see so many heads explode around here. Clint Hurrt might have to get the money bags out again.

11. Bald Guy
    11:48 am July 30, 2013 Permalink

#9…. You were happy with any coaching staff we’ve had in the last 10 years?

I seriously hope not.

12. Travis Johnson
    11:58 am July 30, 2013 Permalink

i think we win 4 games this year

13. NO MATT JONES
    12:08 pm July 30, 2013 Permalink

I just spent the last hour reading the SEC blog, and reading about what teams like Miss State and Missouri return, and what is expected. Defensively Kentucky trumps them all, and it’s not even close. I’m not sure people understand how good our line is with Rumph, Cobble, Dupree, and Z Smith. They are truly SEC caliber players, most of them will be draft picks, and under Stoops they’re only going to be that much better. Our Linebackers are also better than teams like Missouri, and on par with a team like Miss State. We return loads of experience and talent at Linebacker, the only concern is depth once you get past Avery Williamson, Khalid Henderson, who has playmaker written all over him, Miles Simpson, and Kory Brown. Then you have the secondary, which is bad for a lot of teams this year. Missouri and Miss St return more than UK does, but Missouri gave up nearly 350 yards last year passing with who they return.

Cal me crazy, but Kentucky is going to be more competitive this year than any year in recent memory. People keep saying “we lack talent,” which simply isn’t true. Our starters are high caliber players; our problem is depth. Once you get past our starters, we have nothing, and that will be our struggle this season. And that is a problem in the SEC, when you have teams like Florida and Georgia who just rotate 4 star players in and out every down.

I’m not saying we’re going to a bowl, but the idea that we can’t beat teams like Miss State and Missouri is insulting.

14. Al/in/Indy
    12:15 pm July 30, 2013 Permalink

Although is good that not many folks are delusional about this up coming season saying we can pull out 7 or 8 wins this year. I look forward for this team to be much more competitive (unlike the last 3 years. I think we can pull 4 or maybe even 5 games out.
    These kids flat out quit last year only because there was absolutely no direction for them to follow. We won’t beat the Bamas, Georgias, nor the Floridas, but I see no reason we can’t sneak up on a game or two…..Remember, look what coach Stoops has done so far in such a very short time……GO CATS!

15. Blue To The Bone...
    12:17 pm July 30, 2013 Permalink

These guys may all be right, but I wish we could get away from referring to guys as “experts” when 99% of them have never played a down of football in their life..

16. Win Column
    12:35 pm July 30, 2013 Permalink

You don’t know me, but you will.
    I’ll be raising my head this year.

17. Definition
    12:36 pm July 30, 2013 Permalink

13. Hey NO MATT JONES, how do you define an SEC caliber player? What makes one an SEC caliber player and how are they different from other players?

18. NO MATT JONES
    12:42 pm July 30, 2013 Permalink

17, Someone who finishes high in the league of their position specific statistical categories. For instance, Bud Dupree had 91 tackles last year, with several being for a loss or sack. He is one of the best DEs in the SEC. Avery Williamson has over 190 career tackles at Linebacker, again, one of the best in the SEC. Cobble and Rumph have similar credentials. You see where I’m going with this?

If they’re in the upper echelon of the SEC, would you consider them SEC caliber players?

19. Definition
    12:48 pm July 30, 2013 Permalink

18. So if you are not among the very best at your position, then you’re not an SEC caliber player, even though you’re playing in the SEC?

20. Conor
    1:10 pm July 30, 2013 Permalink

Tyler, I have to disagree with you here. UK will be lucky to finish ahead of Missouri this year. I think we have to be patient and realize that we may not see a bowl game until the 2015 season when the guys in the 2014 recruiting class are sophomores. This year’s and next year’s team may not go bowling. I say this year we win three to five games, next year’s team wins four to six games, and the 2015 team wins five to seven games. In 2016, we can start talking eight, nine wins, and maybe even better.

21. NO MATT ONES
    1:13 pm July 30, 2013 Permalink

If you are the doormat of your league at your position, you are not the same caliber player. If you can’t compete with SEC players, you are not an SEC caliber player.

22. Actual Numbers
    1:22 pm July 30, 2013 Permalink

with over a thousand players on scholarship every year playing on SEC football teams, some of them will not be any round NFL drafts picks.
    They Did play in the SEC.

23. Deja vu
    1:38 pm July 30, 2013 Permalink

Love this time of year. The same thing happens every year at KSR. Unbridled optimism for the new season with wins galore despite all of the evidence to the contrary.

My prediction: Mark Stoops better hope that recruiting class stays in tact because this season will be so bad it will be the only thing to keep a sizable portion of BBN from getting your whine on.

24. NO MATT ONES
    1:38 pm July 30, 2013 Permalink

22, I didn’t say every player in the SEC gets drafted. And not every player who plays in the SEC is what would be considered “SEC” caliber. Morgan Newton was not an SEC player, Aaron Boyd was not an SEC player, the list is very long. I don’t know why people on the internet have to be such little twats about every little detail of what is ever said. You need to learn how to understand the semantics of the English language, and stop inferring nonsense, just to hear yourself speak.

25. Little Twats
    2:16 pm July 30, 2013 Permalink

24, You getting flustered in your talk with ever listening?

26. Bald Guy
    2:25 pm July 30, 2013 Permalink

UofL sucks!

27. Bald Guy
    2:26 pm July 30, 2013 Permalink

Unbridled optimism…. Your mother should have gulped that one down.

28. NO MATT JONES
    3:50 pm July 30, 2013 Permalink

“You getting flustered in your talk with ever listening?” -25

Again, learn the English language.

29. Do whut?
    4:00 pm July 30, 2013 Permalink

#10 you’re spot on from a talent standpoint. Remember this is the same group of fans that said Rajon Rondo would be a washout. This group of returning kids is among (if not the) most athletic bunch I’ve ever seen in blue. The fact is Coach Stoops is going to poor mouth the quality of the kids we have because it suits his purposes to keep expectations low early. Not only is this a very athletic bunch I’m not sure anyone is keeping in mind how much turnover we had at quarterback last year combined with just an incredible number of freshmen playing all over the field. Not saying this team will win 8 games but I am saying it will compete at a much higher level than expected and Stoops will be a genius and Joker will still be a goat. Not that I have a problem getting behind this staff.

30. Wildcatsteeler
    4:39 pm July 30, 2013 Permalink

My incredibly optimistic season. Win 3 of the out of conference games. Win at Miss St. Beat Missouri at home. Then the coup d’état, we beat UT at home on senior night for a bowl game!!!

31. gjg
    6:14 pm July 30, 2013 Permalink

Honestly, I wish them the best and will be behind the team no matter what. Things are a changin’.

32. Jimmy Beaumont
    9:07 pm July 30, 2013 Permalink

#30 I kinda like the way you think.