Kentucky has seven players in Chad Ford’s Top 26 Draft Prospects

High School Basketball: McDonald's All American Games

Basketball season may be a ways away, but Chad Ford already has his first Big Board for the 2014 NBA Draft up, and to absolutely no one’s surprise, the Cats are all over it. UK has SEVEN players in Ford’s Top 26 prospects, something which the ESPN analyst says is unprecedented. Here’s where he ranked them:

2. Julius Randle
7. Andrew Harrison
14. Willie Cauley-Stein
20. James Young
21. Alex Poythress
25. Dakari Johnson
26. Aaron Harrison

Predictably, Andrew Wiggins was ranked number one. However, Ford says that in any other year, Julius Randle would be the “consensus No. 1 player in the draft”:

In a normal year, Randle would be the consensus No. 1 player in the draft. He’s that good. He has size, strength, athleticism and a well-rounded game; power forwards like Randle don’t come along very often. Head coach John Calipari might have to convince Randle to stay in the paint and take fewer 3-pointers. Still, he’s expected to anchor a ridiculously talented Kentucky squad this season. Like Wiggins, Randle decided to forgo any summer league play and focus on Kentucky. Despite the talent on the team, scouts expect him to quickly assert himself as the alpha dog. He should provide a serious challenge to Wiggins for the No. 1 pick in the draft.

Three months ’til tip-off…

19 Comments for Kentucky has seven players in Chad Ford’s Top 26 Draft Prospects

1. Steve
    5:02 pm August 12, 2013 Permalink

That’s bg.

2. offtopicsports.com
    5:40 pm August 12, 2013 Permalink

I could see Alex Poythress sneaking into the lottery.

3. Seriously...
    5:54 pm August 12, 2013 Permalink

How many times are we going to talk about this? We almost made it like 50 days since the last one. If Randle becomes #1, then we can talk about it

4. sterve
    5:59 pm August 12, 2013 Permalink

I think Gordon, Parker, and Randle will all be more impactful than Wiggins. Don’t think that’ll affect Wiggins’s draft stock, but I think that the three players I mentioned will be more beneficial to their teams than Wiggins is to Kansas

5. mike
    6:07 pm August 12, 2013 Permalink

@5 yea and I hear his check finally cleared as well. Get some new jokes man. You have less creativity than that thing i dropped in the toilet about 20 minutes ago.

6. Joe
    6:50 pm August 12, 2013 Permalink

Randle, Parker, wiggins in that order if they are smart!!!

7. bmt22033
    7:15 pm August 12, 2013 Permalink

In all honesty, while there’s no denying that Andrew Wiggins is an incredible talent, I just don’t quite get the level of hype that surrounds him. Come on now, “the next LeBron”?!? That’s not even fair to the kid. Nobody can live up to that as a college freshman. Maybe 5 years from now he’ll prove that he really *is* the next LeBron but until then, I wish people would let the hype die down a little bit.

8. bmt22033
    7:18 pm August 12, 2013 Permalink

Just out of curiosity, why is my previous comment “awaiting moderation”?

9. tyson
    7:36 pm August 12, 2013 Permalink

If Randle were to somehow get drafted before Wiggins this year, Cal will get to sign the #1 player at each position every year. That would mean the Kentucky Effect is proven, not just a hypothesis.

10. MaybeITSjustME
    7:56 pm August 12, 2013 Permalink

This may be dumb, but can someone please explain to me out of all the rankings, how they have Aaron always ranked so low? I mean, I know shooting guards are a dime a dozen, but it was Aaron in his senior year carrying the team when his brother had a bum leg.(one point) He IS the #1 SG in the class, (two points) not only can he stroke it (three points) but he can drive (four points). He can also play point when needed (five points). Whether WCS or Dakari starts, do they really consider a 2nd string center a better pick than Aaron? I mean, I know there is a lot of competition for SG out there and the pick really relies on what that NBA team needs, but do they really think there are 25 other guys that have something more to offer?

11. Bobbum man
    8:54 pm August 12, 2013 Permalink

10- good bigs are much harder to come by and thus a good big man will usually be ranked ahead of a good guard ecspecially when he’s primarily known as a shooter, obviously there are exceptions John wall d rose ect

12. mafieoainfe
    9:56 pm August 12, 2013 Permalink

I hate to be the “correcting-the-grammar guy,” but do you guys honestly not read what you write at all? It’s not like you guys are writing a novel. You literally only have to proof-read 4 or 5 sentences.

13. tyson
    10:19 pm August 12, 2013 Permalink

12–you obviously haven’t been on the site long. Proof-reading is a 4 letter word around here.

14. tyson
    10:20 pm August 12, 2013 Permalink

But cut Mrs. TT some slack. She is by far the best one about grammar and punctuation.

15. rj
    5:54 am August 13, 2013 Permalink

after seeing that picture of randall yesterday, I would have to say he’s thr next LeBron.

16. rj
    5:54 am August 13, 2013 Permalink

the

17. Blue Leather
    6:34 am August 13, 2013 Permalink

#15 I agree with you!!!

18. First Grade English Teacher
    10:52 am August 13, 2013 Permalink

“Proof-reading”, seriously? Maybe you ought to proofread that.

19. mafieoainfe
    9:17 pm August 13, 2013 Permalink

@18 I’m not the one that is supposed to be the “journalist.”