See Ya Martin Newton

I know I posted this last week, but I’m a sucker for Boys II Men.

It looks like one of the bigger pieces of the Kentucky program, director of basketball operations Martin Newton, will be taking his talents to North Bama.  Newton interviewed for the Samford AD job a couple weeks ago, and given the way the road losses kept coming in, can’t really blame him for getting out (joke guys.)  But in reality, you take an AD job if you can get one, especially if you’re coming from the ‘director of basketball operations’ position.  On top of that, Newton is an alum of Samford University and was a starting point guard for the basketball team.

It’s a tough loss for Kentucky, as Newton had good connections that helped attract recruits, but if there’s anyone who doesn’t need a whole lot of help on the recruiting trail it’s John Calipari, so I wouldn’t be too worried.  And congratulations to Martin and don’t forget to put in a good word with Trevor Lacey if you see him on the street.

Article written by Will Lentz

17 Comments for See Ya Martin Newton

1. Bknight= SEC POY
    8:02 pm March 7, 2011 Permalink

1st/ Who do yall think is leaving after this season(NBA-Transfer)?

2. blitzedanddazed
    8:09 pm March 7, 2011 Permalink

Good Day—Bob Knight’s boy Pat gets fired at Texas Tech. Pat Knight would have never been on the IU team or been a Division I coach if not for his daddy. Hell, Pat Knight is another Larry Vaught.

3. blitzedanddazed
    8:13 pm March 7, 2011 Permalink

Martin Newton finally realized he could not steal University money for his own Carribbean Condo like his daddy, so heads to Samford. Glad he’s gone.

4. Brandon
    8:15 pm March 7, 2011 Permalink

my brother went to Samford.
    good on ya, Martin…

1) Jones is gone, draft. I think there is a chance Hood could transfer. Not sure on Knight yet. Same with Lamb, although he seems to be a stretch for the league at this stage. But Matt Jones said he wants to go the NBA really bad (who doesn’t, right?) so we’ll see.

5. Bknight= SEC POY
    8:19 pm March 7, 2011 Permalink

4. I dont think it matters how much Lamb wants to go I think hes going to have to come back… But yeah we’ll see. What about Poole do you think he will transfer, I hope he doesn’t because I feel like hes got really good potential.

6. deer boss
    8:24 pm March 7, 2011 Permalink

Cam Newton’s dad was our basketball director of operations???….WHY THE HELL DID HE NOT COME HERE?

7. 8 years
    8:29 pm March 7, 2011 Permalink

in 8 years Martin Newton will be the AD at the University of Kentucky.

8. blitzedanddazed
    8:38 pm March 7, 2011 Permalink

#7 Martin Newton has as much chance to become AD at UK as U of L has in hiring Rick Pitino as it’s head coach.
    WTF?

9. I know it was a few post ago but Brad Neslers call on the TJ dunk pisses me off. If that was any other team or anyone doing that on UK he would have to change his panties. What a jag off

10. Martin Newton
    9:00 pm March 7, 2011 Permalink

Winning Duh

11. WhataShame
    9:05 pm March 7, 2011 Permalink

It’s too bad Mitch Barnhart isn’t leaving. UK basketball won’t be 100% back until this clown is gone.

12. Bundy
    9:12 pm March 7, 2011 Permalink

Samford is in Bham. It’s not really considered North Alabama…

13. IntheKnow
    9:24 pm March 7, 2011 Permalink

This is the first of many moves. The basketball roster is going to have massive turnover.

14. Blue Tiller
    10:03 pm March 7, 2011 Permalink

The program just got better! What did this Clown do for $160K plus? With the state government in poor economic condition, surely they could get someone to replace this job for a lot less. I would like to know what the previous two people who had the job made. A lot less I’m sure but their name probably wasn’t Newton!

15. WhiskerBiscuit
    10:26 pm March 7, 2011 Permalink

Umm……Birmingham is about as north as Bowling Green is east in Kentucky. Samford is smack in the middle of Alabama……

16. BLUEblood
    11:39 pm March 7, 2011 Permalink

Martin is a great guy. Really happy for him and his family. He will be back as AD at UK when Mitch leaves. He could have taken a senior VP job for Nike years ago but didn’t want to leave Lex and his family. He loves UK and will be back here someday. Good luck martin… always remember, Enes deserved to be free.

17. Blue Tiller
    8:02 am March 8, 2011 Permalink

Again, the Nike job just like the UK job, another favor to his Dad!