SEC honors Jones, Knight, Lamb and Liggins

The SEC announced their men’s basketball awards this morning and Kentucky freshmen Terrence Jones and Brandon Knight, not surprisingly, factored heavily in them.  Jones and Knight were both named First Team All-SEC and Jones earned Freshman of the Year honors.  Doron Lamb joined Knight and Jones on the All-Freshman Team, but was beaten out by Tennessee’s Brian Williams for Sixth Man of the Year, while DeAndre Liggins was picked to the All-Defensive Team.  Kentucky native Riley Benock of Mississippi State won the scholar-athlete award.   Florida’s Billy Donovan and Chandler Parsons were named coach and player of the year.

Full list of winners:

First Team All-SEC

JaMychal Green, Alabama — F, 6-8, 228, Jr., Montgomery, Ala.
Chandler Parsons, Florida — F, 6-1, 218, Sr., Casselberry, Fla.
Trey Thompkins, Georgia — F, 6-10, 245, Jr., Lithonia, Ga.
Terrence Jones, Kentucky — F, 6-8, 244, Fr., Portland, Ore.
Brandon Knight, Kentucky — G, 6-3, 185, Fr., Ft. Lauderdale, Fla.
Chris Warren, Ole Miss — G, 5-10, 168, Sr., Orlando, Fla.
Scotty Hopson, Tennessee — G, 6-7, 200, Jr., Hopkinsville, Ky.
John Jenkins, Vanderbilt — G, 6-4, 215, So., Hendersonville, Tenn.

Second Team All-SEC

Tony Mitchell, Alabama — F, 6-6, 210, So., Swainsboro, Ga.
Rotnei Clarke, Arkansas — G, 6-0, 184, Jr., Verdigris, Okla.
Kenny Boynton, Florida — G, 6-2, 183, So., Pompano Beach, Fla.
Erving Walker, Florida — G, 5-8, 171, Jr., Brooklyn, N.Y.
Travis Leslie, Georgia — G, 6-4, 205, Jr., Decatur, Ga.
Dee Bost, Mississippi State — G, 6-2, 176, Jr., Concord, N.C.
Tobias Harris, Tennessee — F, 6-8, 226, Fr., Dix Hills, N.Y.
Festus Ezeli, Vanderbilt — C, 6-11, 255, R-Jr., Benin City, Nigeria
Jeffery Taylor, Vanderbilt — F, 6-7, 225, Jr., Norrkoping, Sweden

SEC All-Freshman Team

Trevor Releford, Alabama — G, 6-1, 180, Fr., Shawnee Mission, Kan.
Patric Young, Florida — F/C, 6-9, 245, Fr., Jacksonville, Fla.
Terrence Jones, Kentucky — F, 6-8, 244, Fr., Portland, Ore.
Brandon Knight, Kentucky — G, 6-3, 185, Fr., Ft. Lauderdale, Fla.
Doron Lamb, Kentucky — G, 6-4, 195, Fr., Queens, N.Y.
Ralston Turner, LSU — G, 6-6, 193, Fr., Muscle Shoals, Ala.
Bruce Ellington, South Carolina — G, 5-9, 194, Fr. Moncks Corner, S.C.
Tobias Harris, Tennessee — F, 6-8, 226, Fr., Dix Hills, N.Y.

SEC All-Defensive Team

Delvon Johnson, Arkansas — F, 6-9, 220, Sr., Chicago, Ill.
DeAndre Liggins, Kentucky — G, 6-6, 210, Jr., Chicago, Ill.
Reginald Buckner, Ole Miss — F, 6-8, 233, So., Memphis, Tenn.
Sam Muldrow, South Carolina — F/C, 6-9, 222, Sr., Florence, S.C.
Jeffery Taylor, Vanderbilt — F, 6-7, 225, Jr., Norrkoping, Sweden

SEC Coach of the Year: Billy Donovan, Florida

SEC Player of the Year: Chandler Parsons, Florida

SEC Scholar-Athlete of the Year: Riley Benock, Mississippi State

SEC Freshman of the Year: Terrence Jones, Kentucky

SEC Sixth-Man of the Year: Brian Williams, Tennessee

SEC Defensive Player of the Year: Sam Muldrow, South Carolina

Article written by Thomas Beisner

70 Comments for SEC honors Jones, Knight, Lamb and Liggins

1. AaronJ
    12:07 pm March 8, 2011 Permalink

Knight should have been Freshman of the Year.

2. Sally Forth
    12:10 pm March 8, 2011 Permalink

Show some love to DeAndre for making the all-defensive team.

3. keepinitreal
    12:13 pm March 8, 2011 Permalink

All due respect to TJ but how can they give it to him over Knight who was “Freshman OTW” more????

4. Terrance Jones
    12:15 pm March 8, 2011 Permalink

I’m glad Matt didn’t get to vote on this one.

5. Russ Smith
    12:17 pm March 8, 2011 Permalink

am I the player Matt was talking about this morning? did I get arrested but not booked?

6. Really?
    12:18 pm March 8, 2011 Permalink

Williams sixth man? Really? D Lamb was robbed.

7. Assistant Coach
    12:18 pm March 8, 2011 Permalink

Why no Most Improved Player?

Jorts has my vote!

8. Wow. Knight should be freshman of the year, annd how the hell did Brian Williams win 6th man of the year? Did he win the award for eating the other 5 men? Shananigans!!!!!

9. Lloyd Christmas
    12:19 pm March 8, 2011 Permalink

What’s worse…jones getting FOTY over knight or fatso getting 6th man over lamb

10. Neil
    12:19 pm March 8, 2011 Permalink

Knight should have won the freshman of the year award. Knight is way more valuable to the team and is a better teammate. I hate to talk bad about one of our players, but I do not like Jones at all. I think he is a selfish baby who simply can not figure out how to play within the offense. I honestly hope he goes to the NBA after this year because I think he is detrimental to the team.

11. Voice of Reason
    12:21 pm March 8, 2011 Permalink

Knight was robbed. Freshman of the year was apparently voted on by people who stopped watching games in December.

12. Voice of Reason
    12:22 pm March 8, 2011 Permalink

Neil – I couldn’t agree more.

13. struggler
    12:24 pm March 8, 2011 Permalink

Chandler Parsons POY – Ouch!!! That is some sick thought process… He is terrible on so many levels… can’t really rebound – but does the running over the back rebound. The terrible defense and flopping. Yuck! I was at the Vandy v Florida game Saturday (live in Nashville) and he is even worse in person. As his team “leader” his teammates don’t even want to huddle up with him when he calls them in to a huddle. Sad… BKnight or even JJenkins over this guy.

14. scoretowin
    12:26 pm March 8, 2011 Permalink

Knight and Jones are both great. But, honestly Knight should not only have been the Freshman of the year, but also the POY. Parsons is 4th in my book, behind 1. Knight, 2. Jenkins, 3. Jones. Come on, Chandler freakin’ Parson?!

15. Jimmy Dykes' Vocabulary
    12:27 pm March 8, 2011 Permalink

Knight got robbed.

16. WKY fan
    12:27 pm March 8, 2011 Permalink

Lamb got hosed on the sixth man of the year. Brian Williams didn’t get anywhere near 12-16 pts a game.

17. The Real Pioneer
    12:28 pm March 8, 2011 Permalink

THE LACK OF AN IMPROVED PLAYER OF THE YEAR AWARD (WHICH WOULD OBVIOUSLY GO TO JORTS) IS ALMOST AS BAD AS TROY MCKINLEY BEING OVERLOOKED FOR SIXTH MAN OF THE YEAR HONORS HIS SENIOR SEASON!

18. I can't see the comments
    12:29 pm March 8, 2011 Permalink

Guys, this is serious. Do you think it’s possible for a foreigner who’s a UK graduate (MBA, who likes him some sports, marketing and communication) to find a career in the States? If so, where? Crossroads are killing me…

19. hoofhearted
    12:30 pm March 8, 2011 Permalink

Why am I underwhelmed that Parsons won POY? That just shows you that there wasn’t a clear-cut star this year in the SEC.

20. Fanoftheblue
    12:31 pm March 8, 2011 Permalink

No honors for Eloy Vargus?

21. Florence, Yall
    12:31 pm March 8, 2011 Permalink

Knight and Lamb got screwed. I agree 11 & 12

22. lexslamman
    12:33 pm March 8, 2011 Permalink

19.

It’s absolutely possible to get a good job in the United States, but my advice is to learn a trade and not depend totally on your MBA for a job. There are plenty of jobs open, but you need to be educated (which you have) and have marketable skills. You can’t just expect money to fall in your lap, unless you are a citizen who can get on social security for a trumped-up disability, which is a burgeoning industry in the state of Kentucky. It goes hand-in-hand with the business of getting a fake pain pill prescription and selling them to fed your kids because all the jobs have gone to states like Washington, California, New York and Illinois.

In other words, come to the US, visit Kentucky often and cheer for the Cats – but if you are a high-level career oriented person, it is very hard to make it in Kentucky.

23. jp15
    12:33 pm March 8, 2011 Permalink

Why the venom towards Jones? I agree that Knight had a better year and deserved Freshman of the Year, but without Jones we don’t finish .500. He is not a perfect player, but he is good. He is good for 10 boards a game and 15 to 20 points. We don’t win Sunday without him. He is also our best shot blocker at only 6’8″.
    Give the man some respect!

24. lexslamman
    12:35 pm March 8, 2011 Permalink

Oh, and I think that Parsons won because Florida had a spectacular SEC season and there is always a bias to reward the upperclassmen. Not necessarily a bad thing, IMO.

25. Brew Crew

3FG%= 0.0%
    FT% = 51.4%
    APG = 1.517
    RPG = 7.52
    BPG = 0.724
    SPG = 0.552

So….. Brian Williams > Doron Lamb…?

26. I agre with 24. Yaw act like he is Roddrick Rhodes or something. He is a talented kid. Yaw ever think the the coach tells him to do that? Shut up already. TJ is a baller.

27. reality
    12:38 pm March 8, 2011 Permalink

jorts got robbed

28. dhighdrated
    12:39 pm March 8, 2011 Permalink

which team did Vargas make?

29. HMM
    12:39 pm March 8, 2011 Permalink

Would William playing have changed the outcome of the game Saturday?

30. Assistant Coach
    12:43 pm March 8, 2011 Permalink

11/13) At times I share negitive opinions of TJ. It is well known that Cal first went after Harris (Tenn) and Leslie (N. C. State.) As it turns out could they have performed at the level of Jones? TJ has given more than adequate effort to make this group it`s best – you can see the stress in his expression during a game. All things considered, we are fortunate to have him. Also let`s not forget the days of Mark Coury as a starting forward.

31. Give'em Hell Cats
    12:45 pm March 8, 2011 Permalink

How the hell does Parsons win SEC POY? He averaged less points and rebounds than Jones, and i dont think Jones deserved POY? That is seriously messed up. And how did Benock win Scholar athlete player of the year? Rigged.

32. Brian Williams is good for 1 or 2 dunks and 5 fouls a game. I swear I can beat him 1 on 1, and I’m a short chubby white kid who balled out in church league games. He sucks. Oh I’m Brian Williams ,, I’m tall, I can dunk, durrrrrrrrrr. BS

33. yeahus
    12:48 pm March 8, 2011 Permalink

look for vargas to be most improved next year !

34. I asked last night and no one told me but…..can I buy booz at GA Dome?

35. bluesince66
    12:56 pm March 8, 2011 Permalink

Don’t have a problem with Parsons his team did win the SEC. I too don’t understand a lot of the negative comments about Jones. While he’s not a complete player he’s pretty damn good. He does come up with some blocked shots at crucial times. I do agree Knight probably should have gotten fpoy.

36. Nolecat21
    12:56 pm March 8, 2011 Permalink

Parsons Player of the Year???? He was the fourth leading scorer on his own team. I’d pick any of the other 1st Team selections over him. You could argue each of the other 1st Teamers are more important to their respective teams. In fact, UF proved it. They won the games that Parsons sat out with his injury. Remove any of these other players from their respective teams and I seriously doubt they win.

37. barn
    12:57 pm March 8, 2011 Permalink

the biggest travesty–for the 2d year in a row–is Cal not winning the coy. donovan??? what for?? he won the sec just like everyone predicted and expected. call loses 9 players from last year and we’re still ranked #14 heading to tourny time. parsons poy?? gmafb

38. Blueburg
    12:58 pm March 8, 2011 Permalink

Hmmm… Chandler Parsons SEC POY- for what? He can’t even hit freethrows. Billy Donavan- COY, why? He had all his starters come back from last year. To me Jenkins and Chris Warren were better than Parsons, even Trey Thompkins. I’d give COY to Grant or Mark Fox. BK got more weekly freshman awards yet they pick TJ? Go figure.

39. Al's IndiCats
    12:59 pm March 8, 2011 Permalink

no props for Jorts, that seems to be the norm for the sec.
    31 I remember that onlt too well…Congrats to all the cats.

40. Brent
    1:00 pm March 8, 2011 Permalink

No love for Jorts. I guess leading the SEC in rebounding doesn’t get you anything.

41. Dave_in_Oldham
    1:01 pm March 8, 2011 Permalink

Congrats to all, but Knight should be Freshman of the Year. Donovan does not deserve the Coach of the year.

42. Just Sayin...
    1:02 pm March 8, 2011 Permalink

We can win without Knight running the point, Lamb, Liggins, Miller, Jones and Harrelson would be fine…Without Jones we fail. Think about that who replaces Jones in the lineup. He deserves the POY.

43. struggler
    1:04 pm March 8, 2011 Permalink

Plus how does a starter, BWilliams, become a sixth man. Alas… the poor SEC trying to spread the wealth rather than see it clearly. Go Cats… finish strong at tourney time!

44. Cal, Fox, and Grant should have been COY. Jenkins POY ,Knight FOTY, and I agree with them on DPOTY. But they suck on upperclassman and we all know it. It will take a 20 ppg, 5 rbg, 3 apg and 1 loss in confrence for a POTY and COTY honors in SEC for the Cats. Oh well. That means I can be a bigger jerk to the other SEC schools then I was gonna be while I am in GA. Jeager in my flask will be to blam if they don’t sell booz.

45. Al's IndiCats
    1:05 pm March 8, 2011 Permalink

35 I doubt it..It’s an SEC game and there’s never any alcohol sold at those games, at least it wasn’t a year or two ago. The only award Williams should have gotten was hip bumping everyone away at the Buffet Table

46. sunnycat
    1:09 pm March 8, 2011 Permalink

Jones is a me first player who gets lost on offense and defense repeatedly each game. His best offensive move is a wild drive in the lane and hope to draw a foul if he doesnt dribble it off his foot first. He can only go left and is a terrible outside shooter. And he should have gotten an award for getting his shot slapped back in his face the most.

47. The Monster Mash
    1:10 pm March 8, 2011 Permalink

Parsons is 6’10” not 6’1″. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chandler_Parsons just sayin

48. scoretowin
    1:12 pm March 8, 2011 Permalink

The more I look at the stats (full season and SEC games only) the more shocked I am that Parsons could be named the SEC POY. This is a joke. Brandon Knight’s season (overall and SEC games only) was so superior to Parsons it doesn’t even merit a conversation. I am all about kids staying in school and upperclassman being important to the college game. But, Parsons simply is a role player on his own team. This selection makes the SEC look terrible.

49. sunnycat
    1:14 pm March 8, 2011 Permalink

SEC awards are just another media bias towards U.K. and Cal.

50. UK'S #1 FAN
    1:15 pm March 8, 2011 Permalink

I believe Brandon has done more with less and he should be named the SEC Player of the Year, its a disgrace that he isnt given the credit he deserves after playing an entire college season , yet Kyrie Irving is supposedly the best pg in college bball after 8 games ( he hasnt played one ACC game) We all have seen what has happened to Terrence after those coaches begin scouting and planning for you… Put Brandon on last year’s team and who knows what wouldve happened and the same with Wall on this years team. I enjoyed watching Wall , but I enjoy watching Brandon more because of where he has come from and the growth of this team (Miller, Jorts, Liggins really have developed and settled into their roles, hell even Vargas have gotten better). This team wasnt expected to do that much, especially after Kanter was ruled ineligible and to see them come together is why I watch college Basketball. Say what you want about Cal, but this is by far his best coaching job!

Brandon Knight- The Rodney Dangerfield of College BBALL…….

See you all in CATLANTA!! Go Big Blue!

51. Doctor Bob
    1:17 pm March 8, 2011 Permalink

Parsons pretty big for 6’1″, don’t you think?

52. scoretowin
    1:20 pm March 8, 2011 Permalink

47. Come on. He is one of the best 5 freshman in the country. He surely can drive you crazy with some of the things he does. But, that doesn’t trump the plays he does make on offense and defense. I don’t think you have a very good understanding of the game.

31. It is well known that Cal wanted all of those guys. But, to say he wanted them first is ridiculous. If anything Leslie was 3rd on that list. Harris is a great freshman too. But, Jones has proven to be superior throughout the year.

Those of you bashing Jones are playing the part of the spoiled/irrational UK fan. The KID is a FRESHMAN that is one of the best 8 players in the league according to the coaches. Without him we would have a losing record. And, you trashing him like he is a bum. Come on!

53. UKFAN97
    1:21 pm March 8, 2011 Permalink

Wow! The SEC is a very young league overall.

54. Jimmy Dykes' Vocabulary
    1:25 pm March 8, 2011 Permalink

I forgot to mention Anthony Grant got robbed big time. He is the clear pick for coach of the year. I love that guy and I really don’t care about Alabama at all. They will be a powerhouse with him at the helm. He’s got his guys hitting that nail like it’s habitat for humanity.

55. Miller
    1:36 pm March 8, 2011 Permalink

Parsons is overrated
    good player, but not poy good

56. Assistant Coach
    1:37 pm March 8, 2011 Permalink

On Tennessee message boards some fans (all 9 of them) are hoping that Anthony Grant will be their next coach. They have basically already written off Sweaty Bruce. I ask myself: Why would he leave Bama for Tennessee?

57. OrvilleofMonkeysEyebrow
    1:38 pm March 8, 2011 Permalink

If Miller shot 15-18 times a game like TJ does he would hit more than 21%(last 4 games i was told)& have been at least 2nd team.

58. Paul Crewe's Bookie
    1:39 pm March 8, 2011 Permalink

I’ll agree with everything except Brian “Burger Time” Williams as Sixth Man over Doron Lamb.

59. OrvilleofMonkeysEyebrow
    1:45 pm March 8, 2011 Permalink

Heck, if Hood shot 18 times a game he would average 20 ppg. Who is best guess for Mr. Ky this year?

60. Captain Obvious
    2:03 pm March 8, 2011 Permalink

Funny how the SEC decides to vote 8 to 9 players on each team when other notable conferences name 5 to 6 players. Guess that is just the SECs way of making it seem like they have better athletes than other conferences, even considering it is only the 6th best conference in college basketball.

61. Just saying
    2:50 pm March 8, 2011 Permalink

55. In most years Jones would be a UK favorite, and not to say he shouldnt this year. He is a freshman and has tremendous upside. I think the reason people bash Jones is because he is not as good as he seems to think he is. If Jones came back and lets say pulled a Patterson and stayed 3 years, UK fans would salivate over seeing this guy reach his potential. However, its been widely speculated he was thinking NBA the day he got here, and then seeing him play at a good but not great level, its frustrating.

Brandon Knight has improved significantly over the last 6 weeks, while Jones still only goes left, gets beat on defense more often than not, and stil gets hi shot blocked 4-5times/game because he doesnt have the footsped needed to make that little turn and jump. Im willing to say that Jones has actually regressed from what he looked like in Maui. Im not saying he’s not a great athlete, and Im defeinately not saying I “hate him and want him gone”, he’s a great kid and a great player, but he plays like he’s not interested in the team winning, but more interested in Jones winning.

62. dirtydave
    2:55 pm March 8, 2011 Permalink

what is SCARY is how good would TJ be if he was getting the ball in the right place where he didnt have to dribble off his foot,would learn to pass out of the double/triple team,learn a real ball fake,power towards the basket instead of away so his shot isnt blocked so much….all this and he still is good for a double double most nights!! he gets a few things corrected….and he’s POY….in the nation hands down!

63. sunnycat
    3:03 pm March 8, 2011 Permalink

53 Just because we all dont see the world through big blue blinders doesnt make us spoiled or irrational. Jones may be a freshman but it is March and he doesnt dominate any part of the game and hasnt really shown any improvement in any part of his game. He still goes left and gets his shot blocked 2-3 times every game 3-4 turnovers a game and is NOT an outside shooter and stays lost on both ends of the court.

64. sunnycat
    3:09 pm March 8, 2011 Permalink

62 Great post

65. UK'S #1 FAN
    3:29 pm March 8, 2011 Permalink

Calipari said he hopes Associated Press media vote gives SEC Freshman of the Year to Brandon Knight so he and Jones each get one.

Cal also said they flipped a coin and nominated TJ for FOY and BK for POY; it had to be one or the other….

this is from John Clay’s website….

66. Pierce Buster
    3:31 pm March 8, 2011 Permalink

Knight should absolutely be Freshman of the Year, and the fact that Brian – Tub of shit – Ape Look a like- Williams won 6th man of the year is just offensive.

67. bung
    4:29 pm March 8, 2011 Permalink

68. keepinitreal
    5:13 pm March 8, 2011 Permalink

Billy Donovan COY???? Florida played and finished exactly where they were projected, nothing more, nothing less….WTF….Was he rewarded for FINALLY putting a decent team on the floor since his 2 year Championship run days????

69. bigcat76
    5:33 pm March 8, 2011 Permalink

Cal not named coach of the year AGAIN. After those recruiting classes & regular season records. I smell conspiracy.