SEC Football Uniform Power Rankings: Part I

Anyone who knows me and my weird sports habits will tell you I’m kind of obsessed about uniforms and logos. I analyze critique, bash and appreciate all the little things in a jersey. When I saw Uni-Watch do their countdown of all 122 uniforms in the four major American professional sports recently, it made me go for my own rankings in SEC football. Lists are always great but even better for this year, because several schools have fresh looks for the coming season, including our two new friends from the west.

The rules of the Power Rankings are simple: It’s all opinion-based. The rankings consider school colors, how they utilize them, uniform elements such as an old school classic look as well as new-age designs are measured and each valued equally for what they bring to the team and overall look, as well as small bonus items like a nice helmet or extreme detail will bump teams up, or down if they do it wrong.

Here is part one of the SEC Football Uniform Power Rankings:  Nos. 14 thru 8. Part two, Nos. 7 thru 1 will come tomorrow.

**************

No. 14 — Tennessee: Ugh. Creamsicle orange is just the worst. In addition to just being downright ugly, the Vols also have a bad history of doing really stupid things: Like these black tops, these checkerboard tops, or full-fledged Creamsicle pop from top to bottom. And then there’s this. And also this. Tell me how surprised you aren’t right now. There is really nothing good to say about Tennessee or their uniforms, other than the less Creamsicle, the better. If any team should do all-white all the time, it’s these guys.

No. 13 Texas A&M: This is maroon done in a really average fashion. Adidas is trying hard to keep up with Nike and their Pro Combat uniform revolution, but they just aren’t up to par. It looks like they took the same template for Mississippi State and applied an identical look for the Aggies. It’s simple, flat (in terms of sheen), and look just like their new SEC West foe, which ranks just one spot ahead. The worst part about the Aggies look is that gigantic logo on the helmet: not at all necessary. And the beveled edge on the numbers doesn’t look great either. If it were up to me, I’d stick to something closer to the old uniforms.

No. 12 Mississippi State: The Bulldogs had a new uniform design and it’s not so drastic from the old one. They added a bigger and bulkier “Mississippi State” logo to the front, which isn’t so eye-catching, but threw a stripe on the shoulders which does flow well down the arm to cap off the banner look which “State” is inscribed on in their logo. Still, it’s nothing special, and for that reason they do not rank well. I do think the road whites looks better than the full-body maroon, too. I just hope they keep the matte finish helmets they had last season, because those are cool.

No. 11 Georgia: Georgia is one of those teams that always think they’re really good — and they’ve had some great teams and tradition — but more recently they are remembered for Mark Richt just being Mark Richt. They could benefit from going out of the box on the uniform design and doing it well. They tried to be unique last season and failed miserably with this abomination that resembles a Power Rangers costume more than anything. The logo will always remain, but the rest of the get-up could use some spice, because everything about Georgia’s uniform is just generic.

No. 10 Ole Miss: The Rebs uniforms just scream for an update. There is nothing overly wrong with the design, they are classic and certainly get the job done — but Ole Miss is a program in the dumps. A new look could go a long way to (sort of) reviving the program. The alternate red unis make a regular appearance year after year, but if it were up to me, that should replace the blue tops which are the worst-looking of the lot. Looking the three jerseys over, it just seems like something is missing from the Ole Miss uniforms. Maybe it’s the lack of trim, because overall I expect more from Nike than this really mediocre ensemble.

No. 9 LSU: The LSU Tigers have probably had the same uniform dating back to the dawn of time. It’s classic, people like it, but they get major points docked (actually, there is no point scoring system) for only having one uniform combination. White on yellow is the only uniform they have. Ever noticed they wear road uniforms at home? So when they actually do go on the road, they wear their road uniforms again. I get purple isn’t an easy color to incorporate, but a lot of people like what TCU has done with their uniforms. Nike does have a purple top the team has worn before (and a Pro Combat white one as well), but they should use the color more regularly. Really, just stop being dumb by wearing whites at home. And while we’re at it, stop marking every five-yard line on the home field, instead of how it’s normally done every ten yards. It’s like they’re being different just to annoy me.

No. 8 South Carolina: Under Armor doesn’t make good jerseys, and that is just not debatable. Their crazy concept last year to honor Wounded Warriors was different to say the least; a great idea, but overall poorly executed. That’s not South Carolina’s fault, but they had to wear them so they get docked. The worst part was the lack of last names, and replacement with random feel-good words, like “Courage,” “Commitment,” “Service,” and “Country.” Hard to hate on something honoring veterans, but they just weren’t all quite there. As for the traditional uniforms, there is nothing eye-catching about the Gamecock’s look. They get the job done, but they haven’t updated it in some time, so you see it, pass over it, and don’t think about taking a second glance. Helmets are great, with a nice looking logo and classic triple stripe down the center.

**************

There you have the bottom half of the SEC Football Uniform Power Rankings. Where did I go wrong? Did I value a team too highly or too critically? What is the worst uniform in the SEC in your opinion? Check back tomorrow for part two where the top seven teams are revealed in order. There are some really sharp uniforms in the top half; you don’t want to miss it.

Article written by Stuart Hammer

B.S. Broadcast Journalism from the University of Kentucky. @StuartHammerKSR

27 Comments for SEC Football Uniform Power Rankings: Part I

1. Big Blue Kevin
    5:15 pm August 27, 2012 Permalink

Ummmm so I don’t claim to be the smartest person but shouldn’t A&M be #13 and MSU #12…

2. shame
    5:20 pm August 27, 2012 Permalink

Its the first week of college football and this is all you guys have to post…unreal

3. John Wall
    5:21 pm August 27, 2012 Permalink

Hey we might be at the top of a ranking in the sec! Big Blue!

4. tltaworl
    5:25 pm August 27, 2012 Permalink

I think LSU would be much higher if they would wear those procombat unis.

5. Drew
    5:26 pm August 27, 2012 Permalink

LSU does wear purple tops when they have to.

6. smoke and mirrors
    5:30 pm August 27, 2012 Permalink

LSU or Alabama could wear Pink with skirts and beat UK by 35……. UK has a Joke for a coach,no bowl this year.

7. Jonah Hex
    5:37 pm August 27, 2012 Permalink

Correct #5. LSU does have regular purple tops. They just dont wear them often. Also, I really like Ole Miss uniforms. Im afraid if they changed them, they would take the “Ole” off the helmet as not to offend anyone.

8. John Wall
    5:55 pm August 27, 2012 Permalink

Florida might be #1

9. Gus Pickerill
    6:06 pm August 27, 2012 Permalink

Georgia needs to bring back those “silver britches” from the ’80s

10. schwing
    6:07 pm August 27, 2012 Permalink

oh i bet i know who’s going to be #1. but yeah, what a worthless post.

11. mores
    6:18 pm August 27, 2012 Permalink

LSU wears purple uniforms a few times a season. No idea how Missouri and Kentucky are out of the bottom half.

12. JJ
    6:25 pm August 27, 2012 Permalink

This list is an abomination. Alabama, LSU and Georgie have the best uniforms in the league….by far. Never seen people hate on the UGA uni’s, they are classic and awesome. Also, LSU does have a different uniform, it’s a purple one (not the one you linked).

13. jill
    6:35 pm August 27, 2012 Permalink

LOL UofL and Big East uniforms are better…better football too.

14. isthisajoke
    6:43 pm August 27, 2012 Permalink

Please…..PLEASE Don’t tell me UK is going to have the #1 jersey.. UK shouldn’t have the right to be #1 in ANYTHING Football. This sounds more like a post for Facebook, not a legitimate website.

15. DB11
    6:54 pm August 27, 2012 Permalink

Me gusta

16. Garbage Truck Man
    6:57 pm August 27, 2012 Permalink

This is a horrible post. The SEC is about tradition. LSU, UGA and Ole Miss all have great uniforms that have something to do with the history of their program/state. While I do agree that SC, A&M, UT and Miss State’s uniforms are lacking I think this list should definitely be revised. While I do really enjoy Kentucky’s most recent changes, it is not because they are something different/flashy, it is because they are uniquely Kentucky while maintaining a sense of tradition and class. That is what makes a great uniform. When you are a team like Kentucky you can’t rely on tradition to simply slap a big A on your helmet (Alabama)but I sure would love to see us bring back the Power K.

17. Evan
    6:59 pm August 27, 2012 Permalink

#14- I love KSR but when have the claimed the be legitimate? Look at the top of the page… Most ridiculous manner possible

18. Jeremy
    7:17 pm August 27, 2012 Permalink

Way too many people criticize posts and are overly negative on this site… With that said… This is one of the worst opinion posts I have seen on this site. LSU and UGA in the bottom half of the conference? Terrible.

19. Not a hater
    7:29 pm August 27, 2012 Permalink

I like this post, it’s one of the few football related ones that I have read

20. Ponderosa
    7:30 pm August 27, 2012 Permalink

great post 16 – agree 100%

21. JohnnyReb
    8:58 pm August 27, 2012 Permalink

Probably the worst post of all time.

This attitude confirms: Kentucky has little football tradition.

Classic uniforms scream tradition (Alabama, Auburn, Florida, Georgia, LSU, Ole Miss, Tennnessee).

Flashy ones do not (Arkansas, Kentucky, Missouri, Miss. St, South Carolina, Texas A&M, Vanderbilt).

Look which group wins consistently and which one doesn’t (minus Ole Miss).

A good football jersey doesn’t need the school across the chest like a basketball jersey.

**The same argument applies to “classic” helmets, as well

22. Blue Bayou
    10:21 pm August 27, 2012 Permalink

Do us all a favor and don’t post the follow up piece. Not only does LSU have several other uniforms and uniform combinations, they came out with new Nike elite unis last year. I don’t care if I don’t agree with your opinion, I just expect it to be reasonably well informed.

Do your research. Terrible post. BOOOOO

23. houseofstark
    10:30 pm August 27, 2012 Permalink

Mr. Hammer, what you’ve just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever read. At no point in your rambling, incoherent post were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone on this site is now dumber for having read it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

24. BigBlue
    10:36 pm August 27, 2012 Permalink

This is a terrible post. I understand being a UK fan but this is flat out Homer, our uniforms are about the same as A&M. If you are going to judge uniforms at least be fair.

25. UniFan2
    12:31 am August 28, 2012 Permalink

Admittedly a Uni junkie to – see ESPN / Uniwatch pro sports ranking last week. I liked this, but yes, the research HAS to be better on the LSU, they have had a purple top for years and years and its actually a good look. Their white Pro Combat looked AWESOME on the field last year too. I think this is a timely piece, the orange & white does suck, as does most anything Adidas (look up ND’s Shamrock Series game, and the Wisconsin – Nebraska uniforms, PATHETIC). I personally hate the white / color look at home games by ANY team, i.e. LSU and the Cowboys and Joe Gibbs Redskins in pro football so I do vote LSU pretty low. Georgia is ranked too low here, its a classic look, and Missouri is busting out some new stuff this year which looks cool, including their alt helmet. I would rank us fairly well for sure, Blue and white is classic and well-executed here and the black with blue helmets showed well IMO. My rankings: (1) Auburn (great colors, classic execution) (2) Alabama (ditto) (3) UK (blue & white is classic and the alts still have good character as long as not too far gone) (4) Georgia (alts suck) (5) LSU (I prefer the purple jersey and all alts look nice) (6) Mizzou (7) Ole Miss (classic, traditional, hate the red jersey though) (8) Florida (cant stand the script on helmet or logo) (9) So Carolina (Under Armour is a joke) (10) Texas A&M (11) Miss State (12) Arkansas (hate all the crap on their uniforms, and the logo, its hard to watch) (13) Tennessee (14) Vandy ( say what you want, but that gold is ugly and shows poorly, gold over black is hideous, the Vandy logo is kinda lame and looks poor on helmet, and all their combos are generally weak).

26. Colonel Cat
    9:26 am August 28, 2012 Permalink

I don’t understand this list. Ole Miss and Georgia have great uniforms because they rarely change. I don’t understand why so many current college football fans want flashy uniforms like Oregon’s-whose uniforms are an abomination to the game. The SEC stands for tradition and the Old South, which is why Ole Miss, UGA, Alabama, Auburn, LSU, and possibly Kentucky have such great uniforms. UK needs to get rid of the black uniforms and stick with the blue jerseys-white pants/blue pants and the white jerseys-white pants/blue pants. Furthermore, I love UK’s white helmets, but I think we should stick with the Blue most of the time.

27. femaleopinion
    11:20 am August 28, 2012 Permalink

you should probably ask a female’s opinion when posting something about uniforms.