Season tickets still down almost 10,000

We’re just 17 days away from Kentucky football’s home opener against Kent State and tickets sales are still waayyyyy down. According to Jen Smith at The Herald-Leader, football season ticket sales are at 37,154, down 9,751 from this time last year and 14,660 fewer than 2009, when season ticket sales were at a record high.

Ben Jones took it even further to find that student season ticket sales are down 58-percent from last year. Only 2,447 student season ticket packages have been sold, down 3,433 from this time in 2011.

A month ago, UK spokesman DeWayne Peevy spoke on the decline of tickets sales. He said, “It’s a combination of the economy…performance on the field and the television package offering another option for fans… Last year’s season, not going to a bowl game, probably had some impact, but I’d say it’s not attributed only to that.”

We. Are. UK.

Article written by Drew Franklin

33 Comments for Season tickets still down almost 10,000

1. UK Wildcat
    1:01 pm August 21, 2012 Permalink

37,154 people support losing football.

2. Rockfield, KY
    1:04 pm August 21, 2012 Permalink

How many Vandy fans have bought season tickets this year to support their winning football team? Their stadium holds just over 40K.

3. UKani
    1:09 pm August 21, 2012 Permalink

If UK Football looks good against the first few opponents and the offense is moving the ball and putting up points then it won’t matter how many season tickets were sold because the stadium will still be filled with not a lot of empty seats…

4. Sheepel
    1:11 pm August 21, 2012 Permalink

37,154 fools pay more and more money for the inferior product the UK athletics administration decides to feed them, all the while ranting what great “fans” they are as they continue to enable UK’s journey to the bottom of the NCAAs.

5. CIMM
    1:13 pm August 21, 2012 Permalink

Please eliminate ryan from the show. It’s obvious he knows nothing and matt just ignores him most of the time. He tells callers they are dumb when he is the most ignorant person on the show. Drew franklin needs to be on full time. He is entertaining and not just stupid.

6. Syphino
    1:15 pm August 21, 2012 Permalink

I wonder if anyone has done any research into the 37,154. I wonder how many are corporate tickets or are tickets that are likely to be renewed but have not beem? I wonder how many actual UK fans bought tickets. I know 37,154 is low but honestly with little commitment from the UKAA and no spark I am surprised the number is that high. They obviously would have an interest in fudging the numbers a little. Just a thought.

7. bluemanchew
    1:19 pm August 21, 2012 Permalink

#1 #4 are you kidding me if you don’t like football just scroll down to the next basketball post no need to bash a UK team on a UK athletics website im sure you will jump on the band wagon next time it comes a round i would love to purchase season tickets (i have in past) just cant afford it right now

8. Honky Kong
    1:22 pm August 21, 2012 Permalink

Economy my a$$. It’s performance on the field. A winning team = sold out Commonwealth.

9. Randy Marsh
    1:24 pm August 21, 2012 Permalink

As a student, I decided to not buy the student season ticket package because I knew I wouldn’t be able to make every game. On top of that, I figured that single game tickets would be easy as ever to access, so why spend the money for games that I know I would miss?

10. GOGO
    1:24 pm August 21, 2012 Permalink

bluemanchew…. why don’t u just go tailgate at the games, it’s a lot more fun and a lot cheaper.

11. kfund
    1:26 pm August 21, 2012 Permalink

It isn’t 37,154 people buying tickets. It’s 37,154 seats. Few people by a single seat. The likely number of purchasers is less than half that. 2 seats for 1 purchaser, 6 for another etc..

12. GOGO
    1:26 pm August 21, 2012 Permalink

uk football games are just an excuse to tailgate anyway, plus u can pass the time ’til basketball gets started.

13. Bob Diggity
    1:27 pm August 21, 2012 Permalink

I’m not sure what the average pair of seats cost, but I paid around $1200 last year for what I think were average seats. I did not renew for this season.

Let’s say the average pair is only $1000. Then 9751/2 = 4875.5 ; 4875.5*$1000 = $4,875,500

Is it fair to say we’re looking at a $4.88MM loss in revenue?

14. bluemanchew
    1:29 pm August 21, 2012 Permalink

thought about it would like to watch it on tv if cant be inside are tvs accessible in parking lot i do like tom leach call though

15. UKBlue
    1:31 pm August 21, 2012 Permalink

Caveat emptor: Let the Buyer Beware. As bad as UK has been well since Bear Bryant left, I’m surprised it took this long.

16. The Dos Equis Guy
    1:33 pm August 21, 2012 Permalink

It’s amazing what KSR posts on a daily basis matches what CatsIllustrated posts.

17. bluemanchew
    1:38 pm August 21, 2012 Permalink

i remember the party after beating Tenn or spurrier Georgia Louesyville cosecutive years what about lsu i was there dont come back crying because you missed out on a memory like that

18. Behind Enemy Lines
    1:40 pm August 21, 2012 Permalink

I think this is what bluemanchew was trying to say:

I’ve thought about it and I would like to watch it on TV if I can’t be inside the stadium. Are TVs accessible in the parking lot? I do enjoy listening to Tom Leach call the games.

19. Chick-fil-ator
    1:40 pm August 21, 2012 Permalink

This is the Hal Mumme effect. We won five games last year. It’s not just about wins & losses. We won 4 games under Mumme and got a stadium expansion because it was fun to watch. Trust me, if the offense is more fun to watch, interest will rebound even without the losses. There is a lot of young talent on this team. I don’t think we will be as bad as some believe.

That said, people that complain about the lack of commitment to football from UK are dead on. Joker, or any coach is somewhat hamstrung by the administration/boosters…

20. Behind Enemy Lines
    1:43 pm August 21, 2012 Permalink

bluemanchew translated:

I remember the party after beating Tennessee, and also after beating Spurrier, Georgia, and Louisville for cosecutive years. How about the season we beat LSU? I was there. Please don’t be angry with yourself because you missed out on those memories.

21. asdf
    1:43 pm August 21, 2012 Permalink

The bottom line is that empty seats are what make the “hot seat” for coaches. No getting around that.

22. bluemanchew
    1:49 pm August 21, 2012 Permalink

a behind enemy lines comment

im sure glad i can hide behind this keyboard and monitor because i would never say things like that to him in person

23. Common Sense
    1:52 pm August 21, 2012 Permalink

As a student, UK students are an embarrassment compared to other student sections, and they make me so incredibly angry.

24. bige
    1:53 pm August 21, 2012 Permalink

It’s boring. Program In Reverse

25. ribin
    1:55 pm August 21, 2012 Permalink

Season ticket holder since 77 — been a fan since late 50’s (a kid) – agree with 19 — make it exciting -throw it around, mix it up — don’t play ‘not to lose’ — play to win. Players come and go — thanks to the ones who believe in the Big Blue !!!

26. kfund
    1:59 pm August 21, 2012 Permalink

LOL the ad banner at the top is advertising football tix sales for Florida International. And no, I haven’t been looking them up online to make the ad in response to my searches. Wonder how many tix they’ve sold?

27. Head Bussa
    3:00 pm August 21, 2012 Permalink

If we lose to Louisville and Kent St. or Western (or both) is there any way that Joker gets fired and replaced with an interim coach? That might boost some ticket sales for the SEC games.

28. Brow Down
    3:11 pm August 21, 2012 Permalink

9 – Are student tickets still $5/ game?

29. BaaaDLamb
    3:17 pm August 21, 2012 Permalink

Let’s say there was a restaurant that you have been going to for years. The food was usually just so-so, but you liked the environment and always had a good time. Then there was a change of owners and the menu prices were raised because menu prices were already high at better restaurants in the southeast. Rational people would quit going. Football fans in a similar situation will watch the games for free in HD.

30. 3 fan
    3:25 pm August 21, 2012 Permalink

I think people believe it will be very easy to get tix on game day for less than face value.

31. Common Sense
    3:31 pm August 21, 2012 Permalink

You are an idiot.

32. Pete Rose
    3:47 pm August 21, 2012 Permalink

Seats are for asses and I put asses in seats.

33. Stan
    4:46 pm August 21, 2012 Permalink

If we don’t keep it close against Louisville, it will be hard to get people to come. Facts are Facts, get blown out and fans don’t want to watch you play.