Sean Woods suspended for one game

Morehead State has suspended Sean Woods for one game following his outburst on the sideline with Eagles point guard Devon Atkinson during Wednesday night’s game at Kentucky.  The university athletic department released these quotes from AD Brian Hutchinson and Woods on the matter:

******

Quoting Morehead State Director of Athletics Brian Hutchinson

“Six months ago, we conducted a national search to identify the next coach, who, building on a foundation of rich men’s basketball history, would lead the Morehead State Eagles into the next era.  Sean Woods, who had excelled as a student-athlete and recently led a relatively unknown program to the national stage, was selected and enthusiastically accepted that challenge.  We were and remain excited about our choice.

“On Wednesday night, Morehead State took on the University of Kentucky in a hotly-contested and emotionally-charged contest at Rupp Arena.  A lot was on the line for our team and they executed an aggressive, exciting style of play, one that our fans have witnessed throughout the initial stages of this season.

“We recognize that the young men in our basketball program are students first and athletes second.  It is our expectation that our coaches are first teachers, who reflect the core values of the university which includes valuing the individual and treating people with respect.  Near the end of the game, Coach Woods’ interaction with one of our student-athletes fell short of that value and was unacceptable.

“We believe Coach Woods, while remorseful, is not above reproach.  Therefore, he will be suspended for Monday night’s game against Norfolk State.  This will allow Coach Woods to consider his action and behavior, and allow him time to contemplate the appropriate way to conduct himself with his players and on the sideline.

“As we move beyond this incident, our focus will be on the continued development of each student-athlete and of a team capable of contending for an Ohio Valley Conference championship.  This will be accomplished in an environment characterized by hard work, constructive criticism and mutual respect.”

Quoting Morehead State Head Men’s Basketball Coach Sean Woods

“My behavior during Wednesday night’s game was inappropriate and unacceptable.  I am truly sorry.

“I value the opportunity I have been given as the head men’s basketball coach at Morehead State.  I am passionate about the young men on our team and the opportunities we have together.  I care for them deeply.

“I can assure our student-athletes, university community, alumni and fans that anything approaching this type of situation will not happen again.”

******

Sean Woods is officially having the worst week ever.

Article written by Drew Franklin

53 Comments for Sean Woods suspended for one game

1. BBN
    1:11 pm November 23, 2012 Permalink

MSU should also place Woods on a zero tolerance policy moving forward. A one game suspension is inadequate.

2. Dylan
    1:11 pm November 23, 2012 Permalink

Ok….now i think we can start looking at LIU- Brooklyn….dont you?

3. mores
    1:12 pm November 23, 2012 Permalink

I still don’t get what the big deal is. There are thousands of high school football coaches out there doing far worse in very public situations and no one blinks an eye. And I’m a bleeding heart liberal.

4. SeoulCat
    1:13 pm November 23, 2012 Permalink

Worst week ever? Molehill, meet Drew Franklin’s mountain.

5. UK
    1:18 pm November 23, 2012 Permalink

It makes me sad how soft everyone has become. This happens in coaching. He didn’t hit his player, he didn’t choke his player, he gave him a shove to the bench for mouthing off. Also, mad coaches yell a lot. Calipari does, Pitino does, every coach in America does. And before the parents come after me, saying “you don’t know what its like until you have kids”, I played two sports in high school. Coaches yell, and it makes kids more disciplined.

6. wildcat62
    1:24 pm November 23, 2012 Permalink

That got blowed all out of proportion.

7. danthecat
    1:28 pm November 23, 2012 Permalink

Don’t let your “babies” join the military…

8. The Realist
    1:29 pm November 23, 2012 Permalink

A view of the history of the world shows all the Indestructible Empires of the world last only 200 years, then begin to weaken and fall. We have had our 200 years, now cracks are happening. You young ones cannot understand. Give yourself another 20 years and you will. If that was my kid, and he disrespected and ‘F-You’ the coach, I would have no problem with what the coach did.

9. Frosty Tips
    1:31 pm November 23, 2012 Permalink

Coach Woods will not make it through the season.

10. GoCats2
    1:31 pm November 23, 2012 Permalink

This is absolutely ridiculous. Maybe he could have backed off sooner but we do not know what the kid was saying back to him. This is called coaching. Directing him towards the bench with your arm around his waist is not the same as pushing. This is normal coaching and yes he might gone a little far but it doesnt warrant a suspension or #1’s zero tolerance policy! You can blame UK for this by the way because if Morehead was playing Ohio University and this happened it would have not got a second glance from anyone.

11. Can't get right
    1:33 pm November 23, 2012 Permalink

How did our society get so soft? We need a little more Gladiator and a little less Mary Poppins!

12. Travis
    1:36 pm November 23, 2012 Permalink

While I do not condone Woods’ actions…apparently he is fired up every game, and got into it with a player during the Maryland on a big stage, yet it wasn’t even discussed by the national media…if Woods had never scheduled UK and played in Rupp on a national stage, he wouldn’t be suspended or reprimanded at all because his anger issue would never be exposed. Just an interesting thought. #KentuckyEffect I guess.

13. bmt22033
    1:36 pm November 23, 2012 Permalink

Larry Vaught has an article up today with some more quotes from Calipari after the Morehead State game re: Harrow. As much as I hate to say it, I can’t help but think that RH has an anxiety/depression issue. We won’t know until we know, of course, but I’m starting to believe that he won’t be back. 🙁

14. TheRightThing
    1:40 pm November 23, 2012 Permalink

The shove or push was a form of abuse. Then, grabbing his jersey and pulling him forward so he could yell at him more just continued the abuse. A coach should never put their hands on a player in any way, shape or form. If a man pushing his wife in anger it is viewed and defined as spousal abuse, so why is pushing a basketball not considered a form of physical abuse? It is! Sean Woods was lucky that he was only suspended for one game. He appears to be a Bobby Knight just waiting to happen. He needs anger management clases.

15. Rookie
    1:40 pm November 23, 2012 Permalink

I do not think it was blown out of proportion. There are so many alternative ways to discipline a player. Some coaches think they “OWN” their players. I do not agree with players disrespecting or talking back to their coach. I think stiff penalty should be given for such behavior. Why not challenge the player by making him run, suspending him for a game or 2, sit him on the bench, send him to the locker room for the remainder of game, but do not push or shove him. To all you people who says it is no big deal, what if the player would have responded and busted the coach in the mouth when he was shoved? Would that be ok, or would that be a big deal? Point is, when crossing the line, you do not know what is on the other side. He could have lost his job. Charges could have been pressed against him. Most importantly, some of these kids are from different walks of life, and the coach could have gotten a “Knuckle Sandwich”. What Sean did was one of the most disrespectful approaches that could have been taken against a kid who might only be accustomed to this type behavior. His defense mechanisim could have been to physically fight back, Just my take.

16. mike
    1:47 pm November 23, 2012 Permalink

Well let me tell you what makes me sick and sad, it people out there thats all the time, all they know to do is say things like, everybody else does it, coach cal does it, coach S does it, it happens here, it happen there, they do it so it must be ok, I see them do it so it makes me feel better when I act that way, I can just say they do it everywhere, I read this junk from you bunch of losers until I’m tired of it.
    Why dont you compare them to someone that does things right, ever think about that, theres people that rapes, murder also, so if they do it must be ok, going by what I read from some of your thoughts.
    Just because other people does things dont make it right. Now you can all start, let me see it will be something original like, kiss my or cry me handful or?

17. Carl
    1:51 pm November 23, 2012 Permalink

Sorry, i think it’s over reacting on MSU’s part. We’ve witnessed coaches (Bobby Knight) doing alot worse. At least he didn’t kick him or head butt him.

18. sunnycat
    2:00 pm November 23, 2012 Permalink

And as a player it is perfectly O.K. to throw a tantrum and tell the coach “F*@K YOU” that is whats wrong with young people now they are never held accoutable for their actions and it is always someone else’s fault. And they grow up to be dead beats with an obama phone.

19. sunnycat
    2:01 pm November 23, 2012 Permalink

#11 RIGHT ON

20. cats11
    2:06 pm November 23, 2012 Permalink

If you have to push somebody to get your point across, serious evaluation on how you conduct yourself, not just as a coach, is needed.

21. TrueBlue
    2:08 pm November 23, 2012 Permalink

Coaches need to teach their players from the start when they first commit to play for them to respect them enough to not talk back and they will not tolerate that behavior. If they talk back, punish them in some way that they have made known to the player upfront. The coach is the teacher and adult and cannot man handle players in any way.

22. RICK
    2:13 pm November 23, 2012 Permalink

What a bunch of cry babies the players, fans and media have become. Coach Woods shoved the baby in the back and he wanted to mouth off about it. If parents would take care of these cry babies then coached wouldnt have to.

23. Jason
    2:14 pm November 23, 2012 Permalink

According to a few people on the ESPN boards who were at the game, Atkinson and Woods were not seeing eye-to-eye all game long about the gameplan and Atkinson was mouthing off the whole game. When Atkinson was coming off the floor after he fouled out, Woods told him “we play hard, not dirty”. Atkinson gave Woods a big FU and then it was on.

24. Bledsoe's Biceps
    2:17 pm November 23, 2012 Permalink

Props to MSU for taking a stand and handing out a justified, but reasonable, punishment. I hope Woods stays true to his promise and does not devolve into a Booby Knight wannabe.

25. LouRich
    2:17 pm November 23, 2012 Permalink

I’ve been watching those jackasses at ESPN run this incident on a loop for days now. My question is: What kind of suspension did the ESPN moron that hired Bobby Knight get?

What pathetic jerks.

26. Jumpin Joe
    2:21 pm November 23, 2012 Permalink

Woods did nothing wrong here. It’s athletics, he is a man and he is not at work Matt Jones. Woods is not his boss he is his coach and it’s not the same comparison.

27. The Realist
    2:26 pm November 23, 2012 Permalink

#18 sunnycat – very well said, and that should be the last word!

28. Reality
    2:30 pm November 23, 2012 Permalink

Have we ran this enough yet? This is something we do to our rivals, not one of our own……..anyone complaining has never played sports above the middle school level….

29. Bubba Earl
    2:34 pm November 23, 2012 Permalink

In 3 days a coach who may have had aspirations of someday taking over a beloved program such as UK,sure blew his chances!

30. CrashTheLoader
    2:37 pm November 23, 2012 Permalink

Coach Cal can’t hide you at Kentucky. Even if you are on the opposing bench.

31. 3 fan
    2:50 pm November 23, 2012 Permalink

Woods should have suspended the player for mouthing of and a second game for that hairdo the PG had

32. WTF
    2:56 pm November 23, 2012 Permalink

TheRightThing ..Go somewhere els with your goodie goodie B.S people like you are why each generation of young people get a little more out of control.Why you ask? Well because every effective form of discipline is considered abuse… so eat crap and please crawl in a hold and die a very slow and painful death you sorry little excuse for a human being!!!!!!!

33. bluristhurr
    2:56 pm November 23, 2012 Permalink

Give all thanks for the suspension to ESPN! Kid needs to be knocked out so we can shave that nasty hair off anyways.

34. BluehazDrh
    2:58 pm November 23, 2012 Permalink

Coach grossly mishandled the situation. If the player was performing in an unacceptable way: sit him on the bench or don’t play him at all. Evidently this was not the first time coach Woods has acted in a questionable manner. This type of action should not be condoned, maybe Mr Woods is in the wrong profession …..we’ll see. I doubt if it is over.

35. Oogie
    3:11 pm November 23, 2012 Permalink

I hope a “bad week” is all there is to it, but I kinda doubt it.

36. Linda Taylor
    3:15 pm November 23, 2012 Permalink

All I can say is I have never had to scream and yell at, much less shove a kid to get them to obey me. They know if they don’t they will have consequences to pay. When you are consistent in your discipline with kids and give them boundaries that if crossed they will be punished there is no need to resort to abusive methods. The trick is being consistent and making them pay the consequences when needed. Speak softly and carry a big consequence.

37. [email protected]
    3:26 pm November 23, 2012 Permalink

Maybe I’m from the old school but that did not look like much to me. Maybe in 5-10 years, a coach will not be able to talk to players in a loud tone. Now I could see a punch, or shove that sends the player into the bench…etc. Just that we are becoming a pansy society.

38. StupidRemark
    3:34 pm November 23, 2012 Permalink

Sounds like your mouth is full of crap so you go crawl in a hole! TheRightThing hit the nail on the head. You obviously don’t have a clue.

39. StupidRemark
    3:34 pm November 23, 2012 Permalink

That remark was for #32 WTF!

40. TheRightThing
    3:38 pm November 23, 2012 Permalink

@#36 Linda Taylor, that’s exactly the point I was trying to make. Adults set the boundaries. Sean obviously allows his players to backtalk. But punishment needs to be behind the scenes not in front of a crowd or on TV.

#32 WTF. Kiss my BIG BLUE BUTT! You are the problem, not adults who act like adults and set rules. That’s the problem with this generation, parents who don’t set rules or boundaries. Obviously you weren’t taught any.

#38/39. LMAO! Right on.

41. nassau65
    3:40 pm November 23, 2012 Permalink

That kid absolutely played his heart out the whole game. Coach was wrong.

42. Harlanhick
    3:42 pm November 23, 2012 Permalink

Looks like you guys won. Maybe you can look up some old tape on Rupp and see if you can get his name removed from the arena. This site is as bad of a joke as some of Drew and Matt’s “funny” posts. You guys can get back to helping Mitch badmouth any coach the fans really like.

43. G
    3:43 pm November 23, 2012 Permalink

Woods got upset at the disrespect the player showed the ref while walking off the floor. That’s why the assistant was yelling at him too. He wasn’t mad at the way he was performing. Yall are as dumb as you are soft.

44. BlueDude
    4:09 pm November 23, 2012 Permalink

43, If the player showed the ref disrespect, then why didn’t the ref throw a “T” up at him! Coach was wrong no matter what the issue.

45. Delk for 3
    4:12 pm November 23, 2012 Permalink

This is just punishment for the actions of a man deranged on a power trip. As a teacher myself, I know how often it is that kids talk back. You can punish them for their actions, but you never should lay your hands on another person and never verbally berate them in a way that tests all limits of human patience. Sean Woods has shown to be, by definition, a bully and he has work to do to change that perception.

46. G
    4:25 pm November 23, 2012 Permalink

Teaching in the classroom and coaching are 2 different things. I’m guessing you didn’t have the same issues with Cal when he called Terrence Jones a selfish MFer.

47. bob
    4:37 pm November 23, 2012 Permalink

What a bunch of shit. He did nothing wrong. Oh no, he made the guy get to his destination spot 1 second faster. Big freaking whoop.

48. cats11
    4:45 pm November 23, 2012 Permalink

47. Sounds like something Clint Eastwood would say after he shot them.

49. Delk for 3
    5:47 pm November 23, 2012 Permalink

46 — You are incorrect on your belief about coaching and teaching, yet correct about my beliefs about Coach Cal’s mistake. Coaching on the court and teaching in the classroom are basically one in the same. I know because I’ve done both. Just because you are coaching in a tense game does not give anyone the right to act like a bully. I really didn’t have much of a problem with Calipari’s actions because using curse words with 18, 19-year-olds isn’t all that bad. My issue is with the bullying tactics such as berating while being overbearing and unrelenting, as well as using physical force.

50. Just Saying
    6:08 pm November 23, 2012 Permalink

You never had school shootings until paddling became illegal. My generation was brought up like that and as a whole, way more respectful than today’s youth. Bobby Knight crossed the line on more than one occasion. Sean Woods didn’t leave a mark on that kid but he did teach him to respect authority. Who knows, it may save that kid from getting the hell beat out of him if he ever comes across law enforcement.

51. ebell55
    6:48 pm November 23, 2012 Permalink

This is BS kids are too soft today. Everyone is hardcore until coach gives you a lite shove then you cry on the bench like a little BI! Free Sean Woods!!

52. The Sad Truth
    11:14 pm November 23, 2012 Permalink

The Sad Truth is Sean has anger issues that will not serve him well. Afraid he is a actually a “forgetable”. Adios, Sean.

53. big daddy kane
    9:45 am November 24, 2012 Permalink

# 2 was mouthing off to one of KY players, WOODS let him know that isnt going to fly, notice the other opie looking coach ripping his ass too.. .. im mean #2 prob use to sell crack and run a dog fighting ring by the looks of him.. i will almost bet that #2 wont say another word in a game again.. GO sean woods, WOODS should put out a video how to train thugs..