Sean Woods is salty

Sean Woods had some interesting things to say about John Calipari’s new Wildcats during his teleconference with the media this morning.  The Morehead State head coach and former UK guard said he thought the Kentucky players acted with a sense of entitlement during the BBN Cares telethon for Hurricane Sandy relief, where Woods volunteered his time for the WKYT broadcast.  Woods said he didn’t like their vibe and thought the players should be more appreciative.

Woods also said he’d bet any amount of money the current out-of-state players don’t know anything about UK history.  “It’s a shame,” he said of the lack of historical basketball knowledge from today’s players.  “Kids today play too many video games.”

He would add, “They didn’t seem like Kentucky basketball players to me.  There’s just a certain way and a certain look Kentucky basketball players should have, and not have such a sense of entitlement.”

Matt and I were on the BBN Cares WKYT set throughout the entire two-hour telecast and I couldn’t disagree more with Woods on how the Kentucky players acted.  They all seemed to really enjoy volunteering their time for the relief effort and answering phones from donors.  Alex Poythress would’ve answered every phone call if he could’ve; he was all over the phone lines.  Woods must’ve been in another room than the one we were in.

Woods did, however, make it very clear to reporters that he wasn’t bitter, just being honest.  He said he just wants today’s one-and-dones to appreciate what the University of Kentucky helps them become during their time in Lexington.

Still, some strong words from the former Cat.

(Quotes via @BDawsonRivals)

Article written by Drew Franklin

104 Comments for Sean Woods is salty

1. josh
    12:06 pm November 19, 2012 Permalink

and so far everyone that has left does. maybe he should stick to coaching and not psychologizing

2. This will happen
    12:06 pm November 19, 2012 Permalink

Kentucky 126
    Morehead 39

This is final score, don’t piss Cal off

3. dave
    12:08 pm November 19, 2012 Permalink

Maybe they just thought Sean was a dick. lol

4. ukrobbie
    12:11 pm November 19, 2012 Permalink

Maybe, he is talking about the guys dancing and goofing around in the background? That’s about the only thing i noticed on tv. Seems like they all did the job they were there to do.

5. Pw
    12:12 pm November 19, 2012 Permalink

Sean gave them the full “get off my lawn” treatment. His guys are gonna get a really good look at why our guys are UK players in 2 days. Sean should stick to being unforgettable.

6. CatsFanInKnoxville
    12:14 pm November 19, 2012 Permalink

Will Cal respond? He almost has to say something doesn’t he?

7. maybe
    12:15 pm November 19, 2012 Permalink

No 18 year old kid has much of a sense of history. When Woods played for UK in the 80’s, did he know who Wah Wah Jones, or Cotton Nash were? Doubt it. One thing I do agree about though — in this era of AAU centric basketball, twitter feeds, and networks that build entire broadcasts around a kid choosing a hat to wear to announce where he’s going to college, I would say that more kids have an inflated sense of themselves than they did 25 years ago when you’d just read in the paper when they signed their LOI. Entitlement? probably not. Pampered? Yeah, even though its not really their fault.

8. Don't forget.
    12:15 pm November 19, 2012 Permalink

Screw Sean Woods, he’s just salty that he got old and can’t knock up white volleyball players like he used to. Dumbest player on the team during my years at UK.

9. bigbluejon
    12:15 pm November 19, 2012 Permalink

Kudos to Sean for speaking his mind. Many of us old-school BBN members feel the same way. But hey, winning cures all I guess.

10. Not Surprised
    12:16 pm November 19, 2012 Permalink

Doesn’t surprise me at all. I remember when I was in HS I went to a barnstorming event he was at in my local HS. He acted like a prick when I tried to talk to him. I’ve never felt the same about him. Andre Riddick, OTOH, seemed like a genuinely nice guy at the same event.

11. Brian Long
    12:17 pm November 19, 2012 Permalink

I’m sorry I wasn’t appreciative enough.

12. kyblue
    12:18 pm November 19, 2012 Permalink

Maybe it was the former player that had the sense of entitlement……Sean thought the boys were supposed to treat him like a past hero!

13. Not Surprised
    12:18 pm November 19, 2012 Permalink

12) Amen!

14. BravoBigBlue
    12:20 pm November 19, 2012 Permalink

If that’s what Sean Woods saw and he wants to speak his mind on it, that’s fine with me. Today’s players are coddled way too much and most don’t appreciate it. I am surprised he said it though, due to the backlash he will receive from UK fans.

15. Durrrrr
    12:20 pm November 19, 2012 Permalink

Yo #9, go break a hip.

16. TheMadCatter
    12:20 pm November 19, 2012 Permalink

Generally if someone says they’re not bitter that is exactly what they are. Sean should know that at that time Cal had only just begun molding these guys into the team they will become. I suspect he’ll wish he’d left the coaching to Cal too. Morehead athletics will get a healthy check for this game. I think a little humility and gratitude would be in order.

17. WoodsWho
    12:21 pm November 19, 2012 Permalink

May be Woods is a little jealous he couldn’t be a one-and-done. Being a former Cat he definitely should not say negative things about todays Cats. I find it disguisting and I’m embarrassed for Mr. Woods for saying such things! He sure won’t endear himself to BBN with comments like that! Shame on you Mr. Woods.

18. Durrrrr
    12:21 pm November 19, 2012 Permalink

And #14, take a break and catch your breath. You know you are not supposed to get so worked up any more.

19. KeepItUp
    12:22 pm November 19, 2012 Permalink

And Cal will have your jersey in Rupp incinerated.

20. BlueFins
    12:23 pm November 19, 2012 Permalink

Entitlement. . . Kinda like getting a game with UK cause you’re a former player. Guess which school won’t be entitled next year!

21. How Much
    12:25 pm November 19, 2012 Permalink

I wonder how much Rick Pitino paid Woods to say that? He is just butthurt that his old coach is getting owned by Cal

22. fer'real?
    12:25 pm November 19, 2012 Permalink

Interesting comments from Mr Woods. Especially since he’s from Indiana. Oh, and he was ejected for fighting against Tennessee ON SENIOR NIGHT.

23. BravoBigBlue
    12:25 pm November 19, 2012 Permalink

Sean Woods was part of one of the most beloved team in UK history. It’s funny how quick some fans will turn on someone for speaking their mind. He is entitled — entitled to speak his mind. How old are some of you posters – teenagers, probably. A little humility goes a long way. Better to learn it when you’re young than have your ass handed to you when you join the real world.

24. How Much
    12:25 pm November 19, 2012 Permalink

@20

well played…

25. bosshogg24
    12:27 pm November 19, 2012 Permalink

I used to buy advertising from Sean 10 to 15 years ago, one of the nicest people you would ever want to meet! What a contrast from other stories! Someone should brief 18 year old players before they meet someone most of them never heard of Elvis!

26. BravoBigBlue
    12:27 pm November 19, 2012 Permalink

18 – Really? Is that all you got, punk?

27. Hal
    12:28 pm November 19, 2012 Permalink

once again, brian long ruins it for everyone.

28. Reality
    12:29 pm November 19, 2012 Permalink

Anyone here on this comment section blasting Sean Woods is either a dick themselves or just want to seem cool and hate. This guy had nothing but compliments for the past Calipari teams at UK , so who cares if this is how he feels. Everyone is entitled to an opinion just like you backwards rednecks who get on her everyday with your delusions about Petrino and KY football being relevant. Face it, not every story about UK basketball and its players have to be positive. I’m pretty sure being 18 and being coddled your whole life can make one non appreciative.

29. Raazoul
    12:29 pm November 19, 2012 Permalink

24, Sean Woods isn’t “One of the most beloved players in UK history”, his team was. He as an individual is an asshole. And is acting like a spoiled 18 yr old kid himself… “Boo Hoo, those kids don’t remember who I am! Not fair! I knew who Wilt Chamberlain was, am I not as well known as Wilt?”

30. Dear UL and IU fans, We are national champions; you are not. The end.
    12:30 pm November 19, 2012 Permalink

Come on Sean, the guys are working phones at a telethon and you call them out for acting entitled. We all know Cal said, “you’re going if you want to or not.”, but calling them out in public? Bad form.

31. Old People Hush
    12:31 pm November 19, 2012 Permalink

@23

To be honest with you, a WHOLE lot of the younger crowd are growing more and more agrivated with you older folks.

Cal is winning here, why must you guys insist on giving your 2 cents on who he should recruit and why you guys hate the one and dones. The in state players aren’t on the same level as what Cal recruits! They can go to Western or Eastern, much lower level of competition! Do us all a favor and just enjoy championship basketball! There is a reason why Bobby Knight is not coaching because the game has evolved to a new system!

And for crying out loud, shed your old sweaters and stand up and cheer in those PRIMETIME seats you have, sometimes it’s like a funeral at Rupp! Get LOUD!!!

32. lexiladyrr
    12:33 pm November 19, 2012 Permalink

Noel took time out of his weekend to support athletes at a Special Olympics event. I am told he was very gracious with his time and signed autographs and took pictures with fans. He spent part of Sunday raising awareness for childhood cancer. At a recent volleyball match, he signed for fans nonstop. Security tried giving him an out by placing him on the floor and telling fans to return to their seats, but he still didn’t turn fans away. He is as much a Kentucky Wildcat as any I have seen. If these guys have a sense of entitlement, volunteering their time and talents and interacting with fans is a strange way of showing it.

33. Blue Bayou
    12:35 pm November 19, 2012 Permalink

Sounds like Woods had an agenda to criticize the Cats, but does he have a point? I have absorbed as much UK basketball history as I could since I was born, and it would be a sign of respect if the players had a better understanding of the program and the history of which they are now a part.

If Woods is right about kids today not caring about the history of the game and their program, shouldn’t Cal and the rest try to impart some knowledge on them? It doesn’t upset me that they don’t know about UK, but I think it would change their perspective for the better.

34. Eagle 15
    12:35 pm November 19, 2012 Permalink

As a former basketball player at Morehead, I am embarrassed by what Woods has showcased since he has been there. Morehead deserves a class person heading up their basketball program. I will no longer support MSU as long as he is there.

35. 96cats98
    12:36 pm November 19, 2012 Permalink

A few years back I saw a quote from Sean Woods talking about Rick Pitino that said “If anyone ever talks to me like he did, I’ll punch them in the mouth”. The reports out of Morehead sound like he has turned into his old coach. Comments like this just confirm that.

36. JLivermore
    12:36 pm November 19, 2012 Permalink

I think you need to understand the time frame in which Woods played at UK. He played during the investigation and subsequent penalty era that was caused by primarily by top, out-of-state recruits. As someone who was at UK then myself, I share his concerns that all of these “one and dones” may not respect UK as much as they want to use UK. So far, I think we’ve been pretty fortunate, but I am certain that will not always be the case. I just hope when that happens we don’t revisit the dark days that were the late ’80s.

37. Don Corleone
    12:44 pm November 19, 2012 Permalink

Seriously, who’s Sean Woods?

38. Han
    12:45 pm November 19, 2012 Permalink

I assume all of his players know all about his school’s history, then.

39. Old Sweaters
    12:46 pm November 19, 2012 Permalink

Those “Old Sweaters” you speak of in the lower arena of Rupp pay the bills around here young fella. Sean Woods is right. These current kids don’t have a clue about what Kentucky basketball is. It is a shame that college basketball has evolved to requiring five new players every year to win. I am not criticizing Coach Cal. The man has perfected his craft and works very hard, but even if they do win it again, it is not as enjoyable as having guys around for a few years that can grow on you and your emotions. There are no men on this team and that will be a problem come tournament time. It does beat Tubby and Billy G ball though. Don’t get me wrong. I am getting old and don’t enjoy it as much as I used to.

40. Just Sayin
    12:46 pm November 19, 2012 Permalink

I can think of at least one player from Sean’s era that knew about entitlement. He is currently selling cars in Manchester.

41. Jack
    12:47 pm November 19, 2012 Permalink

If I had to hazard a guess I’d bet Sean may be a little put out players didn’t know who he was, beyond maybe the Morehead coach.. I think it’s safe to assume that if Willy Cauley-Stein didn’t know who Christian Laettner was, he’d never heard of Sean Woods. Don’t know why that bothers people. I remember being put- out by my kids reaction to JFK’s gravesite, blasé to say the least. But then it dawned on me: he’ll, they don’t remember all that.

42. Alan Cutler's Mustache
    12:47 pm November 19, 2012 Permalink

If #28 were in a room with others, he would be told to sit down and shut up!

As far as Woods goes, if he was so bothered by his interaction with the new guys, he should have spoken to Cal about it. Speaking out in the press is a blatant attempt at getting publicity. Anybody that is running to the defense of Mr. Woods is just plain wrong. He comes off as bitter and jealous. One would think that he would know what to say and what not to say to the press, at his age.

By the way, I was never in favor of his class getting put in the rafters, bfore he made that statement. He has done nothing to convince me otherwise. I still remember the open shooters beyond the three point line that he passed up and drove the lane for a 2 point shot and game loser. He was celebrating incorrectly then and he is wrongly taking exception with these young men now. Maybe we should all just show Sean a little more love. He is in the rafters. What is he looking for, a bronze statue of his likeness to be erected on campus? It seems it took UK quite a long time to get one of Joe Hall. Maybe UK should look into it?

43. The biggest loser here is...
    12:51 pm November 19, 2012 Permalink

The biggest loser from his comments are the walk-ons.

They would’ve gotten some playing time but I will assume Cal leaves the starters in even if we are up 50!

I smell a rout

44. OneAndDone
    12:52 pm November 19, 2012 Permalink

First, I am probably in the “older” demographic of this site. Sean Woods needs to stop crying. Kids these days are living in the PRESENT and winning championships and making history. Get over it…. No they shouldn’t take time out of their busy schedules to try and learn about the past teams and people like Sean Woods who seem to be the real ones with the “entitlement” issue. Thank you Sean Woods for everything you did as a Cat and for the University, but you need to shut your mouth. How many of your players know about Morehead’s history??? And I bet they hate video games.

45. Ben
    12:52 pm November 19, 2012 Permalink

It is Sean right to say whatever he wants! It is not very smart, right before you bring your team into Rupp to play! Cal would never make a dumb statement like that! He will learn one day. Do not expect to great of a reception in Rupp.

46. bluefan
    12:53 pm November 19, 2012 Permalink

Wow, what an a$$! Must be an agenda of some sort. I’ve seen nothing but good things from these dids from serving the fans at BBM, to encouraging Lane Goodwin and his family, to the telethon and other charity work. The pictue of Nerlens at the Special Olympics event was awesome.

No excuse for doing this publicly to your alma mater. I suspect none of the kids knew who he was and why would they?

As far as coddling them, I’m quite sure the one & dones’ freshman year is much harder that Sean woods was. Please.
    Criticism of these kids ticks me off to no end.

47. Forgetable Unforgetable
    12:55 pm November 19, 2012 Permalink

Anyone that has ever played basketball with/against Sean Woods knows he is an ass and I have heard his former teammates say the same first hand. In fact I still owe him an elbow from a pickup game about 10 years ago. These kids where not even born when he played and don’t have any reason to know who he is…no championship, no pro-career, etc. If he did feel that way that is something he could have/should have addressed with Cal directly. I hope we beat them down by 50+ on Wed.

48. UK
    12:56 pm November 19, 2012 Permalink

These players were born after the Unforgettables. Hell, I was born after the Unforgettables, but I’m a die hard UK fan so I know who they are. The point is, it was before their time, and if they didn’t grow up being huge UK fans, they might not know who past players are. Sean Woods should still get a standing ovation at Rupp though.

49. Just Saying
    12:57 pm November 19, 2012 Permalink

Kids don’t care about history. Most of these kids aren’t even big college basketball fans, they grow up watching and dreaming about the NBA. But even if you asked most of the players in the NBA about players from the 70s and 80s they wouldn’t know a whole lot. Just how it is. I agree with the people saying that the players probably didn’t know who he was, so he was offended.

50. me
    12:57 pm November 19, 2012 Permalink

#31 I couldn’t agree more about Rupp. Friday, I was in an upper arena that was so lame. They were even too lazy to stand up and clap when the starting lineup was announced. And looking at all the empty seats in the lower arena always infuriates me. If you have tickets you can’t use, give them to someone else! There are thousands of us willing to fill your seats. Little off topic. Sean Woods, get over yourself.

51. Richie Farmer
    1:00 pm November 19, 2012 Permalink

Is my jersey still hanging in the rafters at Rupp? I haven’t been there in a while since I am broke, probably heading to prison, and can’t get into the games for free anymore!

52. Head
    1:01 pm November 19, 2012 Permalink

I think more-head has gone to his head..just saying.

53. I'm with
    1:02 pm November 19, 2012 Permalink

I’m with 31 and 49 on this one

54. klassact
    1:02 pm November 19, 2012 Permalink

I agree with him, not just this year but all of the recruiting classes Cal has brought in. These kids don’t care about UK, why would they? We are just a stepping stone in their illustrious careers. Why would UK mean anything to them????

55. Participant
    1:03 pm November 19, 2012 Permalink

I agree with several who say that today’s players do not have the same perspective as former players.

Having met three different groups of Pitino’s, including three of the Unforgettables, senior players on tour, the only who did not act entitled was Mark Pope. And we were paying all of them to show up.

And to encourage people to call me a grumpy SOB, what’s with all the tatoos, we are not Louisville.

56. Tim
    1:04 pm November 19, 2012 Permalink

I am old school and I understand that things change. You cannot win with all KY boys and average players anymore. If you like that type of basketball follow EKU, Morehead and WKU. KY is about winning and Sean was a part of a great group of average players and one great player who came along and brought excitement back from a sad time in UK history. He hot a shot and UK almost won a game that would have sent to the Final Four.

Everyone is entitled to have an opinion , but in his situation keep hour mouth shut and win something. Cal has brought winning back to UK . I am sorry they do not know someone who hit shot and almost won a game. Csls players give and give and are special people. No problems or Cal would send them on there way.

57. UK
    1:04 pm November 19, 2012 Permalink

53….you are kidding right? These players love UK, look at what they all say about UK when they leave. And if they didn’t care why would they come back?

58. Carl
    1:05 pm November 19, 2012 Permalink

Dissappointed in Woods. If he was paying attention he would realize this entire generation has a sense of entitlement. I know I have two kids. But that is the culture in which they were raised. I wonder how much Woods knew about UK history before coming to Kentucky. He was lucky to be part of the last great run of Kentucky players to educate him on what it’s like to grow up following the Wildcats. He does not endear himself to the fan base by publicly critizing 18 year olds from another school. Sean, get over yourself.

59. TN Cat
    1:06 pm November 19, 2012 Permalink

This does not bode well for Sean Woods.

60. Rockfield, KY
    1:07 pm November 19, 2012 Permalink

He publicly insults the team of the coach that embraces the UK past like no other and gives him money games, just because he is an ex player. Sean must be salty that he didn’t get invited to play in the alumni game. Of course, it was for former Cats that went pro.

61. Alex
    1:07 pm November 19, 2012 Permalink

Who is Sean Woods??

62. John
    1:08 pm November 19, 2012 Permalink

Who the heck is this guy? Seriously some no name former uk player who is obviously a has been. I say we stomp on his teams throat on Wednesday.

63. Rant
    1:10 pm November 19, 2012 Permalink

The poster known as “Old School” will be bringing me in three, two, one…

64. Wildcatsteeler
    1:11 pm November 19, 2012 Permalink

How does someone “seem” entitled? Give one example of something that gave him that impression. Could it be the fact that they are volunteering their time for charity? What a dumb thing to say.

65. Bob Saget
    1:17 pm November 19, 2012 Permalink

You “fans” on here are ridiculous. Sean Woods is a legend and was recounting his honest opinion. And yes you can have one, too. But, frankly, his carries more weight by a factor of around one million.

66. Bob
    1:18 pm November 19, 2012 Permalink

I’m willing to be a professional seat-filler for Rupp games. Just give me a call.

67. Brian
    1:20 pm November 19, 2012 Permalink

#20…well said

And wasn’t it Woods that was bitching about Pitino not giving him a chance or something in SI or to Forde just last March? Seems to me that he felt…entitled to a job.

68. fer'real?
    1:22 pm November 19, 2012 Permalink

Marquis Estill was all-SEC and left early to try to go pro. The players probably don’t know about his career either and he’s on the coaching staff. Who cares? They’re teenagers for cripes sake.

69. RealCatsFan
    1:22 pm November 19, 2012 Permalink

#31, #49, #51 – never fear – I will be attending the LI game this Friday with my family, for the first time in 20 years. We will be lower arena, and I will assure you that we will be on our feet and making plenty of noise.

70. Clam
    1:22 pm November 19, 2012 Permalink

I was at UK during the Pitino glory years. Many of those players were probably “good guys,” but there was some seriously crazy stuff going on that did not get in the newspapers (thank God for no cell phones and twitter). The players were not mature, history minded citizens like the modern-day Sean Woods nostalgically misses. Actually, Mark Pope was, but most the others acted exactly how you would expect an 18 year-old “living god” to act. I never heard Antoine Walker or Wayne Turner wax poetically about the 1978 team or Vernon Hatton. They were too busy making history to worry about history. I hope this year’s team does the same.

71. bigbluejon
    1:26 pm November 19, 2012 Permalink

The fact is– these guys play for Calipari, not Kentucky. Once he leaves, we will not be getting all of these #1 recruiting classes, and that bothers me. It’s like there’s a dark at the end of the tunnel, we know it’s coming, but we’re choosing to turn a blind eye to it. “I’m not a lifer”– that comment irks me to no end.

72. Onemanwolfpack
    1:26 pm November 19, 2012 Permalink

Stop asking who Sean Woods is? If it wasn’t for poor defense against puke, his shot would be played every year instead of Christian’s. Sean for better or worse is a lifetime Cat. I don’t agree with him, but I still like him.

73. MYOLDKENTUCKYHOME
    1:33 pm November 19, 2012 Permalink

I love the Unforgettables, but his comments are just dumb.

Really? You’re attacking kids for liking video games? Do you have a sign on your yard that says “NO KIDS ON LAWN”?

Kentucky players are supposed to have a certain “look”? What’s that?

Dumb thing to say, dumb timing. Just doesn’t make sense to me.

And as far as Cal’s players embracing Kentucky…yeah…they don’t come back for alumni games or to watch games or to support Cal and the University…oh wait. Yes they do.

74. Jerwm
    1:40 pm November 19, 2012 Permalink

12. Bingo.

75. adam
    1:43 pm November 19, 2012 Permalink

I’m disappointed in Sean. Cal tries to bring former players back in the fold even going so far as to have a member of every championship team at Midnight Madness. He regulalrly celebreates our history, tradition, fans and glory. These kids have only been on campus a few months, give reality and maturity a chance to set in before casting aspersions on their character.

76. Sir Charles
    1:43 pm November 19, 2012 Permalink

Shawn Kemp took the fall for Sean Woods years ago!

77. TimeFor9
    1:44 pm November 19, 2012 Permalink

70 really…irks you to no end? Just bc Cal doesn’t want to coach when he’s 60? Get over it. He’s working harder than most coaches out there and I don’t blame him for stopping when he wants. If you made millions of dollars working your ass off til you were 60 you’d probably want to slow down and enjoy a personal life too. Cal has competent assistants in Payne and Antigua, and the players really love them…maybe, just maybe, Cal is grooming them for when he leaves. But even if he isn’t, I’d rather have 5-10 years w Cal than 20 w Tubby.

78. me
    1:45 pm November 19, 2012 Permalink

68, hope you have a blast. By the way, can we all start calling him SEEN Woods in honor of John Short?

79. CATS
    1:46 pm November 19, 2012 Permalink

Woods is just mad because they did not know who he was.

These kids are 18 and 19…I do not expect them to know about the history of UK basketball…the did not grow up fans..why would they know the history of UK basketball.

Yes, Cal recruits one and dones.

Yes, they do not know much about UK before entering the program.

Yes, they come because Cal and Coach O recruit them, not because they grew up fascinated by UK.

Yes, we win a lot of games and are national champions.

What is the issue again???

80. BBN
    1:47 pm November 19, 2012 Permalink

Most of the Unforgettables are loyal to Pitino and not UK. Many of them have turned into pricks. Remove their jerseys from Rupp’s rafters for starters.

81. Sheriff Buford T. Justice
    1:51 pm November 19, 2012 Permalink

He probably only spoke to Brian Long

82. BigCuz
    2:00 pm November 19, 2012 Permalink

What’s up with these Sean’s speaking nonsense. First it was Sean Elliot.. now it’s Sean Woods… Who’s next Sean Paul… Sean Penn or Sean Puffy Combs… he just added 20 points to his beat down…

83. Dr. Tom
    2:04 pm November 19, 2012 Permalink

Everyone please calm down and take a deep breath!! All I know about Sean Woods is what I saw of him when he played at UK. I attended the game at Rupp a couple of years ago when he brought his team to play the cats and pick up a good paycheck. He participated in post-game activities and carried himself as a gentleman. Everyone says things they wished they hadn’t, just ask Joe Biden or Mitt Romney!!

84. Fswanwoods
    2:22 pm November 19, 2012 Permalink

Fug Sean woods. He’s no longer a member of bbn. Take down his jersey

85. bort
    2:42 pm November 19, 2012 Permalink

Here is what bothers me: I don’t even know these players. I didn’t know the players from last year (except Darius Miller). They are not “student-athletes”; they are para-professionals. Sure, I’m confident that Cal has all of the players attending classes. But come on, this is COLLEGE basketball. They are supposed to be college students striving to earn a degree while at the same time pursuing a sport. I hate the one and done rule. I think these guys should have to wait at least 3 years before going to the NBA (or 2 years if they can earn their degree quickly). If they can’t wait 3 years, then they should turn pro and go to Europe.

Personally, I think you can have a successful basketball program without having to recruit the lottery. Michigan State does it with mainly 4 year players (or at least guys that Izzo expects will stay 4 years). Duke does it with mainly 4 year guys. And as much as we all hate Pitino, he has had lots of success over the years with 4 year guys.

86. John
    2:42 pm November 19, 2012 Permalink

Oh, I guess Sean thinks todays UK players should act more like his old teammate Richie Farmer. Why say this in public anyways? Indiana is North West Sean. Maybe you should make your way back across the river. The Hossier is starting to come out in you.

87. Joe
    2:46 pm November 19, 2012 Permalink

One thing for sure is that kids are playing way too much video games. It’s dumbing them down, as if they need any help in addition to the dumb-down curriculum of high school. Throw in the flouride in the water in most cities, and that’s why there is a lowering of IQ going on. Study and learn at http://www.infowars.com

88. Tony C.
    2:50 pm November 19, 2012 Permalink

It’s Sean Woods so I’ll give him a pass. But c’mon. The players are here because of Calipari. That’s a fact. They don’t give a flyin’ flip about our history. I’m ok with that and Woods shouldn’t expect anything more. The players seem to grow in their appreciation for the university and fan base as their freshman year goes by.

89. Maxps8
    2:54 pm November 19, 2012 Permalink

7 – hit the nail on the head. Sean was probably unintentionally snubbed by one or two of the players that had no idea who he is/was. But as #7 said/asked: Did Sean know who Wah-Wah was when he was 18? Probably not. These young men should, though, get an Introduction to KentuckY Basketball video and discussion with JBHall or someone that explain KentuckY’s cbb roots and passion.

90. MSUFan
    3:02 pm November 19, 2012 Permalink

I really feel sorry for Woods’ players…they are suffering the consequences for his foolish drama. They just want to play ball.

91. cdawg
    3:12 pm November 19, 2012 Permalink

Sean used to play pickup ball at Gold’s Gym several years back. He was an absolute prick and treated everyone disrespectfully. His opinion of himself is way overstated.

92. Dee
    3:17 pm November 19, 2012 Permalink

gotta say…pour form….on even posting this TMZ type stuff….

93. Digger Phelps
    3:30 pm November 19, 2012 Permalink

Hey listen, hey…hey…I said listen!!!!

94. Richie Farmer
    3:34 pm November 19, 2012 Permalink

Entitlement? That’s right these people today actually think those are “their” tax dollars.

95. CAUKFAN
    3:35 pm November 19, 2012 Permalink

Sucks to be bitter.

96. LeX
    3:55 pm November 19, 2012 Permalink

Wow guys. This is sean woods. Not some no name walk on that played. But one of the unforgettables. He gets to say whatever the hell he wants to about our current players. He has more of a right than almost anyone.

97. bigbluenation90
    4:09 pm November 19, 2012 Permalink

Anyone who honestly thinks that Sean woods banner should be taking down, along with all the other unforgettables then go f#%k yourself. Ya he made a dumb comment but u Kno what were only human, we all make mistakes. The man still deserves a standing ovation when he comes into rupp

98. [email protected]
    4:18 pm November 19, 2012 Permalink

I agree with Woods, the thing is, it’s not the kids fault. I mean think about it, in today’s era we know everything about these kids when there JR’S in HS. Back in the day we were introduced to them when they freshman.

99. Dorian54
    4:48 pm November 19, 2012 Permalink

All this hate for Sean Woods now!! I can’t believe it!!! Hey here’s a thought, he was there, he knows Kentucky pride better than most, and he offered his opinion on that subject. Reading half the comments it seems people can’t say anything about us even former players, like we’re too good to be talked about negatively. I don’t like how we’re changing as a program or fan base!! Who’s jersey are we gonna hang next to Jack Goose and Dan Issle some one or two year guy??

100. BBN
    5:23 pm November 19, 2012 Permalink

The Unforgettables jersey should remain in the rafters but their individual jerseys should be removed.

101. SeoulCat
    6:09 pm November 19, 2012 Permalink

#10, I couldn’t disagree more. I was a child during that barnstorming tour, and after meeting all of the Unforgettables in the post-game autograph session, I can easily say that Woods was the nicest of that group of seniors.

As for Woods’ comments, I guess context matters greatly here. If Woods is angry because WCS had no idea who he was or because this group of freshmen knew nothing about that 1992 team, then that is another matter. Woods needs to get over himself. I doubt Woods had intimate knowledge of Ralph Beard during his college days.

Then again, however, maybe he was just calling out the players for goofing off during what should have been a very serious fundraising effort. If so, I applaud him. There is a time and place for everything. If players are dancing in the background while the cameras are rolling for a telethon that is set up to raise money for people who are currently suffering, then Woods is right and the players showed very bad form.

Given the nature of Woods’ comments, I tend to think the latter reason to be the source of his ire. Good on ya’, Sean.

102. METOO
    6:46 pm November 19, 2012 Permalink

I agree with Woods, he is right! But this is what we get with Coach Cal. The days of passion for your school are over, now the passion is for MONEY! We all want to win and this is how Cal does it.

103. IWANTHITS
    10:01 pm November 19, 2012 Permalink

Drew Franklin is an “Ass” for writing this article. Stiring up dissension among BOB legends and present day players. Way to go Drew keep up the good work. SMH

104. Dorian54
    12:45 am November 20, 2012 Permalink

103) I agree Drew’s posts have really been frustrating me lately! He’s coming off like a real big jerk, know it all. I love Kentucky too, but this guy Drew will straight deny and rip you, if you say anything negative about Kentucky. I’m not down with that.