Sean Woods Clarifies His Earlier Remarks

sean

If you have been around today, you have certainly heard about the comments Sean Woods made in a conference call earlier today about the UK basketball players. Sean had this to say to KSR this evening:

I love my alma mater, the fans and coach Calipari and my comments earlier today were in no way meant to be personal toward anybody. The kids that are playing at UK or Morehead or any other school today don’t know what happened in their programs more than 5 years ago if that. I wish it were different but I was just trying to state how things have changed since I played.

No active D 1 coach in college basketball has done more for me that Coach Calipari. I’m pulling for Kentucky every time they take the court, except for Wednesday night when I bring my MSU Eagles to Rupp.

We all make mistakes and it seems to me that Sean regrets his. Woods will join us on the air with us tomorrow morning on Kentucky Sports Radio, but for now it looks as if we should all move on to other things.

Article written by Matt Jones

63 Comments for Sean Woods Clarifies His Earlier Remarks

1. Uhh
    6:29 pm November 19, 2012 Permalink

I don’t see any connection between this “clarification” and his earlier comments. Do you think he can clarify his clarification?

2. bigbluenation90
    6:34 pm November 19, 2012 Permalink

That’s right, we all make idiotic mistakes and he realized his. So everyone needs to get off his case, he’s a wildcat for life and we should all respect him for that and give him a standing ovation when he comes to rupp

3. I'm Batman
    6:37 pm November 19, 2012 Permalink

It’s ridiculous how everyone is so quick to forgive Woods because of what he did 20 years ago. It doesn’t give him the right to demean our player the way he did. And for all of you folks that will say he applogized or didn’t mean it that way, he completely made it personal against the Kentucky players. He never even apologized for the things he said. But I guess some of you are too blinded by your infatuation of what he did back in the day.

4. Dini
    6:39 pm November 19, 2012 Permalink

I worked with Sean when he was in school during his summers. No one has had a lower opinion of Sean than me. I took great pride in giving him a hard way to go. That said, I am extremely proud of the man he has become. I will not condemn him for one comment. He has made his way and without a lot if support from his college coach. He is a man and has conducted himself well. Compare him to Richie or some of the others and he compares extremely well.

5. FrigFullofBeer
    6:44 pm November 19, 2012 Permalink

Sean may have regretted saying his comments but there was a reason why he did in begin with…. Coach Cal should use his comments as a motivation for this team the rest of season! Kentucky just needs to teach Sean Woods a lesson on Wednesday and BEAT the living crap out of his team on Wednesday and be done with it….. Shouldn’t be big deal everyone is entitled to their own opinion!

6. Wild Turkey 101
    6:45 pm November 19, 2012 Permalink

Dear Sean. Your alma mater is currently the hottest program in the country. So what’s the matter?

7. blitzedanddazed
    6:48 pm November 19, 2012 Permalink

Woods is wrong. Woods needs to be held accountable for his statements.
    I hope Cal makes no comments about this situation and lets Woods hang on his own words.
    Woods sounds like he attended the Rick Stansbury School of Whining over the summer.

8. MHFaulkner
    6:51 pm November 19, 2012 Permalink

Have you seen the way he acts towards his players?

He’s one of the most unlikeable coaches ever. Just because he played at UK doesn’t mean he’s not an asshole.

He showed again today, and every time he steps on a court with how he acts towards his players.

9. Al's IndiCats
    6:52 pm November 19, 2012 Permalink

UG is a head of IU….Let’s see if the refs keep letting them play

10. Ridge Runner
    6:56 pm November 19, 2012 Permalink

ok..my God, lets get on with some other news.

11. granny
    6:56 pm November 19, 2012 Permalink

Been a Kentucky fan for years, and will be until the day I die, but I’m afraid I have to be in Woods corner here. In the telethon, I was ashamed of the way some of our players behaved like clowns considering the seriousness of why the telethon was taking place. Wrong time to act like an idiot! As far as players coming in not being familiar with UK basketball, that’s true as well. What coach outside of Kentucky is going to educate young high school players on the tradition of Kentucky basketball??? I don’t think you’re gonna find many. Get real people, I don’t like how young players are treated like gods, but guess who created that situation. If you don’t know, look in the mirror………

12. Funky Monkey
    6:58 pm November 19, 2012 Permalink

Funny to see Sean now trying to avoid a Morehead basketball record ass beating of a lifetime.

13. I'm Batman
    7:03 pm November 19, 2012 Permalink

11 – i’m sure woods benefited from all of the attention you despise. So players are supposed to be stone faced throughout an event? That is an ignorant thing to say. They weren’t disrespecting anyone and were raising money for charity. Get off your high horse and get off my lawn!!

14. FakeDanIssel
    7:07 pm November 19, 2012 Permalink

I betcha Mr. Woods could not choose me out of a lineup, with or without my front teeth!

15. joecrawfordsfoot
    7:21 pm November 19, 2012 Permalink

Some of you people are ridiculous. The man mad a dumb comment, so Wat people say stupid things all the time. Its really sad that most of u fans want to rip his banner up and “forget the unforgettables’ just cause of a idiotic comment that he clearly didn’t mean to offend anybody. So your willing to forget his time as a player here and forget how much he loves UK and bleeds blue just cause of ONE bad comment? You people need to get your priorities straight.

16. BlueThrough
    7:23 pm November 19, 2012 Permalink

@ #3, Batman, I toally agree! Now, what was it he did back then, I can’t remember past 5 years!

17. Blueballz
    7:27 pm November 19, 2012 Permalink

My son played in youth bball tourney in Louisville over the summer. Woods’ son played in the tourney. To say that Sean woods is a complete and total jerk is a major understatement. He cusses his kid, the refs, anyone around. A very uncomfortable situation.

18. BravoBigBlue
    7:27 pm November 19, 2012 Permalink

It’s easy to see why other fanbases hate Kentucky fans. It’s because of the 10% fringe moron idiots like most of the posters above. Get a life and get off Sean Woods’ back. Losers.

19. like it or not
    7:27 pm November 19, 2012 Permalink

#11 I agree with you. Look no further than the head coach that promotes this with the ‘players first’ approach. I’m all FOR UK and Cal, no doubt. Hope we win every year! But, last year people were on him for saying ‘players first’ claiming he was dissing the history, now Woods calls some of them out for being players first/program second and we jump on HIM??? Quit being hypocrits and someone that argues the present without considering history. THAT behavior is reserved for NCAA investigators and UofL fans! ANY player that played for 4 years, stuck with us through probation and hit the shot that almost beat Duke gets my respect and can say whatever he wants about the team HE played for. Good luck Sean.

20. I'm Batman
    7:28 pm November 19, 2012 Permalink

17 – After I spent 10 minutes trying to decipher what you wrote, I think I understand what you are saying. It was a comment he brought up all on his own. He was not lead into that response. Not omly did he attack our players, he then proceeded to tweet the same thing, but generalized. Even in this response, he still never apologized. It is all just a front so he won’t get booed Wednesday night. Why can’t you see that just because he played here, that doesn’t mean he gets a free pass to say whatever he wants. Get over yourself. These older players could commit murder and you would be saying to forgive him. What someone has done in the past does not mean they are above everyone else. If Pitino or any other coach said this, you would be cursing him. You need to get your priorities right.

21. I'm Batman
    7:29 pm November 19, 2012 Permalink

I meant 15, not 17. Sorry 17

22. RAsmooth
    7:31 pm November 19, 2012 Permalink

17 right on! Don’t condemn the man who gave his all while he was here for a comment

23. dave
    7:32 pm November 19, 2012 Permalink

not sure if i read that last sentence correctly, but doesn’t it say “we should all move on for now,” yet also plugs that woods will be on the air to talk about his comments tomorrow?

24. RAsmooth
    7:32 pm November 19, 2012 Permalink

Sorry meant 15

25. cotton nash
    7:36 pm November 19, 2012 Permalink

I agree, Matt. We’ve all put our feet in our mouths before. I think he was talking about ALL of today’s bball players not really caring about bball history. Sean was a great player and he’s always been a great ambassador for Kentucky bball. I surely hope the Big Blue fans get over it. It would embarrass Cal and the rest of us if some stooge booed when Morehead and Sean took the floor. Just sayin,…

26. Roland
    7:37 pm November 19, 2012 Permalink

10 years, 15 years, 20 years from now, someone from this years squad will speak like Sean Woods did today.
    He spoke the truth.

27. old_school
    7:38 pm November 19, 2012 Permalink

Actually, I like the idea of kids knowing something about the program they play for. Earlier today, a humorous post about a mock test for incoming players was posted — but there’s some validity to such an idea.
    Think about it, whenever a player is drafted by the New York Yankees, or maybe a veteran free-agent is picked up by the Bronx Bombers — one common thread in their first press conference actually revolves around how much pride they have in putting on the famed Pin Stripes.
    That pride is born of a knowledge of what the Yankees have accomplished throughout the years and an understanding that it’s a tradition that’s worth honoring. Hopefully, knowledge of that tradition will build pride, and pride will build a deeper commitment to continue that legacy.
    It’s the same with Kentucky basketball.
    Certainly, I wouldn’t expect a 17-year old high school kid to know all about UK’s history, but upon arrival at UK’s campus — I think Cal could assign an assistant coach or someone from the Athletic Department to put the kids through a one-week course — one hour a week — whereby they would be given a good history of UK basketball and why it means so much to the people of the Commonwealth.
    UK basketball is much more to Kentucky fans than simply an easy ticket to the NBA — and those honored enough to wear the Blue and White, whether it be for eight months or four years — should be obligated to care enough to at least have a nominal understanding of that legacy.
    Make it worth something. Until passing that test — all incoming freshmen would wear simple blue and white practice uniforms. Only after completing the course — would the word “Kentucky” be emblazed on their gear. It certainly wouldn’t be a 400 level type college course, but simply a neat approach and introduction to UK’s history, and would send a message that the legacy here is important and one to be taken seriously.
    Here’s topics they could cover in the week:

1) Why is Kentucky basketball so revered from Fulton to Fed’s Creek, Covington to Clinton? Talk about the pride Kentuckians felt with the success of their basketball teams in the 30s, 40s and 50s — especially in the wake of so many negative perceptions placed on people in Kentucky during those times.

2) A discussion of Adolph Rupp. Address the racial aspects of the program — watching Dick Gabriel’s excellent essay on Rupp and countering some of those nasty, unfounded rumors would be great. A short lesson on Rupp’s success, the way his style changed the game and learning the truth about the man whose name adorns the place they play.

3) A brief study on the UK greats. Go over the list of All-Americans at UK. Talk about their stats, their strengths — what made them great. Bring some in to speak.

4) A session on the great teams. The Fabulous Five (including their Olympic success) The Fiddlin’ Five, Rupp’s Runts, the 75 Super Kittens (sure to resonate with the young players and might make them appreciate their opportunity since freshmen were ineligible back then) the 78 team, the 84 Final Four Twin Tower team, the Unforgettables, the 96-98 Dynasty teams and the most recent NCAA champions.

5) A session on important people in UK history — non players. Talk about guys like Cawood Ledford and Bill Keightly.

At the end of the week, have a simple test. Nothing too hard — just enough to make sure the guys were listening and have the proper respect for the program. Hopefully, it will leave them pride and a determination to keep the legacy strong.

28. I hope
    7:43 pm November 19, 2012 Permalink

I hope Brian Long appreciates this thread.

29. joecrawfordsfoot
    7:47 pm November 19, 2012 Permalink

20 if it honestly took u 10 minutes to “DECIPHER” what I said the you my friend are an idiot. I clearly stated that someone’s legacy shouldn’t be condemned over 1 idiotic comment. I’m 22 years old, don’t really qualify as an old fan. As for your pitino comment. Rick pitino has made dumb comments before, as every living human being has. He’s also done some pretty stupid things as well. But unlike u, I respect pitino for WHAT HE DID AT THE UNIVERSITY OF KENTUCKY. Your so biased it isn’t funny. If it were up to you every banner in rupp arena would be tore down and replaced with all Cal’s draft picks of the last 3 years. Have some respect for the people who laid the foundation for this program

30. joecrawfordsfoot
    7:51 pm November 19, 2012 Permalink

I love Cal, I love what he’s done for this program and he’s the perfect Guy for this job, but excuse me for not willing to throw a former great here who gave his heart, sweat and blood under the bus for 1 mistake

31. I'm Batman
    8:03 pm November 19, 2012 Permalink

29 – first off, by decipher, I meant your poor grammar and sentence structure. I wrote 4th grade essays with better English than you. Secondly, where did I say I didn’t appreciate the history of UK? I didn’t and you are just making arbitrary statements because you can’t defend your post. Pitino did great things here, but it doesn’t change the fact that if he had said this, you would have a different tune. What the players did while they were here is appreciated, but that doesn’t excuse them and allow them to belittle our players. Sounds like you are the biased one.

32. Love To The Old School
    8:04 pm November 19, 2012 Permalink

I just love you, old_school. And I’m ashamed for all of us for that “break a hip” comment earlier in the day.
    That ticked me off so much I just had to walk away from the computer. If no one else is showing y’all old
    timers any respect, I will. Thank you for your perspective. For all the kindnesses you show to people
    at the games. For the Kentucky families you’ve made and stood by for generations. For the money you’ve
    poured into the flagship school of our Commonwealth. For your humor. For your encyclopedic knowledge
    of all things UK. For your secret recipes. For your spangly sweaters and the pins in your hats. We love you,
    UK Old Timers. Thank you for being you. Y’alluh just LARRAPIN GOOD!!! ; )

33. Dumbledore
    8:05 pm November 19, 2012 Permalink

Always Nice of Jones to drop by for the occasional here’s-what-I-think-and-you-should-too piece.

34. Daktari
    8:28 pm November 19, 2012 Permalink

Folks need to understand simple human emotion.

Sean Woods’ provided his perception of events; as seen through his own eyes – and thoughts.

Boiled down: age, loss, replacement, and jealousy.

As a coach, you have to leave 20+ years ago behind – and recognize the following:

Your age has taken you to another stage where kid’s music/activities don’t correspond to what you liked/thought was cool musically or video-gameage(ly).

So, move on.

35. joecrawfordsfoot
    8:34 pm November 19, 2012 Permalink

31 how exactly am I the biased one? In my posts all I have said over and over long story short one stupid comment should not stain your legacy, especially one as beloved as his and the other 3 members of the unforgettable’s. I’ve admitted over and over again that Sean’s comment was stupid, because it was. Yet you continue to push the fact that since he made this comment he’s basically dead to u. Him making that comment and pitino making it are totally different. Rick has took shots at us over the last 4 years, this just would have added fuel to his bonfire. He makes idiotic comments every year. This is the first time Sean woods has said anything remotely insulting. And he’s done came out and s

36. joecrawfordsfoot
    8:35 pm November 19, 2012 Permalink

Said he loves Cal and didn’t mean to offend anybody. I’ve clearly stated that I’m unbiased, can u say the same? Your up

37. 44 Stitches
    8:39 pm November 19, 2012 Permalink

I still hope morehead st loses every game.

38. I'm Batman
    8:49 pm November 19, 2012 Permalink

It’s obviously too difficult for you to form a coherent sentence, so until you do, there is no need for anyone to articulate anything to you. Have a good night.

39. blitzedanddazed
    8:56 pm November 19, 2012 Permalink

Sean Woods is talking about young men that he does not know.
    Ignorance is not a mistake, it is a human frailty.

40. We R UK
    8:57 pm November 19, 2012 Permalink

Sean Woods should have known how his comment would be taken. I think it shows a lot about who he has become. His attempt to apologize came after he realized that he may possibly be the first ex-Cat to be booed in Rupp Arena. I say “a little too late for that”. On that note, I will NOT boo him Wednesday night, but my applause will certainly be quieter.

41. Cliffhaganstable
    9:01 pm November 19, 2012 Permalink

Come on people, its as simple as this: Sean Woods played for this team and not one of you did. He’ll always be a Cat. He chose to play here for four years, and could have easily went elsewhere. And he seems to have a point. The one-and-dones do not seem to have such a commitment or interest to the program. He has the right to express his opinion without fans becoming unreasonably offended and instantly segueing into uber-defensive silliness.

42. Japrick
    9:03 pm November 19, 2012 Permalink

He had an opinion and he expressed it. We tell these kids that they’re gonna be treated like royalty here. Should we be surprised when the kind of act like royalty?

43. We R UK
    9:10 pm November 19, 2012 Permalink

He needs to show respect for the program that helped him launch a career. By making that kind of comment, whether true or not, is a slap in the face to current players, coaches, and fans and shows little class.

44. new coach!
    9:14 pm November 19, 2012 Permalink

45. blitzedanddazed
    9:15 pm November 19, 2012 Permalink

Einstein once said that ” “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the the universe.”
    How true when it comes to Sean Woods.

46. old_school
    9:20 pm November 19, 2012 Permalink

32 – Well – I’m not as old as some of the others – but I was always taught to respect my elders. The older they are – the more I’m inclinded to respect them.

When I see an old man – I don’t think of some old geezer who may be grumpy – I see a man who may have stormed a beach in some distant land so I have the freedom to get on an internet site and post my opinion about something as trivial as sports.

I know and old guy whose left a few fingers, a lot of blood and several friends on the fields in France. So when I hear folks criticizing old folks – my mind races to men like him and I find it quite offensive.

There’s an old_school way of doing things that many Americans have forgotten, and we’re the worse for it. I’m far from being part of that “greatest generation” but I’ll be the first to stand up and put down some young punk who thinks he needs to tell the old man to sit down and shut up.

As for this site – it’s UK sports folks. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. You don’t have to like it – and you can say so – but civility is often a sign of maturity – so read into some of the crude comments what you will.

47. Daktari
    9:28 pm November 19, 2012 Permalink

Old School: “BULLET Points”, son. Much needed. Otherwise: we do need the Cliff’s notes.

Batman: You’re past due for your meds.
    If you give some of whatever you’re takin’, hell…even Stevie will see and quit wonderin’.

48. Bob Knight
    9:46 pm November 19, 2012 Permalink

Kentucky will not be playing Indiana next weekend for the first time in my lifetime. It is a complete travesty and is totally unacceptable. Sean Woods made some valid points today. Making deals with the Devil won’t feel so good when the whole house of cards comes crashing down. It is on its way Big Blue Nation.

49. The real onemaco
    9:49 pm November 19, 2012 Permalink

Who hasnt put their foot in their mouth??(really ive never,maybe when i could chew my toe nails(AWW TO BE 4))but hey give S.Woods some slack.Hes just lookin at things as a grown man!These guys are KIDS they souldnt know our history but the cool shit is they get to learn it,and add 2 it.#lets raise another

50. blitzedanddazed
    10:01 pm November 19, 2012 Permalink

Sean Woods is a big man when talking about kids that play another team via the media.
    Sean Woods is a Punk!

51. truth
    10:19 pm November 19, 2012 Permalink

Matt Jones just needs to get a life. I mean, any time someone has something negative to say about uk, matt gets his panties all in a bunch. Right o wrong, woods can say what he wants. Matt is just a vagina and can’t handle anything that does not suck the teet of uk athletics.

52. BBN
    10:20 pm November 19, 2012 Permalink

All is forgiven. However, I stand by my earlier comment that the “Unforgettables” jersey should remain in the rafters at Rupp Arena but their individual jerseys should be removed. If necessary, they can add their names to the Unforgettables banner, but only one banner is necessary.

53. Eagle 15
    11:02 pm November 19, 2012 Permalink

Morehead missed on a good chance to get a seasoned coach. Instead chose woods thAt is disgusting

54. Kevin C.
    11:47 pm November 19, 2012 Permalink

I fully expect Cal to say something along the lines of ” I pretty much agree with everything Sean said…and like he said, it’s just the way it is”. And then Sean will take his beating, Kunta Kinte style…and is paycheck…on Wednesday night, and that will be the end of that.

55. Buckets
    1:34 am November 20, 2012 Permalink

Hey, Sean, thanks for giving all the U of L fans and haters some quotes to troll on. Thanks a ton. BBN greatly appreciates your latest contribution to our great program, you know, the one you play for? Thanks again.

56. Buckets
    1:35 am November 20, 2012 Permalink

^played for

57. CatSinceBirth
    6:01 am November 20, 2012 Permalink

I can see where Sean is coming from, but he certainly didn’t articulate it very well. Fifteen or twenty years ago you came sixty percent because of the university and thirty five percent because of the coach. Today, it’s all about the coach, and exposure. When Sean speaks there should be about a four hour time delay so than he can retract many of his statements. If he would rephrase his speech, I could go along with him.

58. prpcat
    6:40 am November 20, 2012 Permalink

He is family even family says things out of context at times, turn the page……

59. Ken Grizzle
    8:40 am November 20, 2012 Permalink

Frankly I gotta agree with what I understood Sean Woods was trying to say. Maybe he didn’t express it very well but he is correct in saying most young players today are not aware of all the history surrounding the Kentucky Basketball program.

In defense of the younger generation:If I had all the marvelous electronic devices aviable today in the 50’s I may not be as aware of all the historical facts concerning Kentucky Basketball and it’s players either.
    Sean Woods is one of those players…..in case you forgot.

60. Rockfield, KY
    8:42 am November 20, 2012 Permalink

Apology accepted. I like that he said no ACTIVE D 1 coach has done more for him than Cal. That includes his own coach while at UK.

61. Shawn Kemp
    8:56 am November 20, 2012 Permalink

He stole Sean Suttons necklace not me!!!!

62. Chris Mercer
    11:01 am November 20, 2012 Permalink

Woods needs to remember the time he went for two instead of three at Mississippi State and cost us a game!

63. CatSinceBirth
    11:49 am November 20, 2012 Permalink

Come on guys. Let it lay. He was a Cat then, and will always be a Cat. Many act like he’s committed murder. I know I’ve said things in the past that didn’t come out just the way I wished they had. Let it go. I’d hate to read on KSR about one of the above dying from caridac arrest over what Sean said.