Sean Woods apologizes for his comments, let’s move on

On the first hour of Kentucky Sports Radio, former Cat Sean Woods came on to discuss his comments from yesterday, in which he said that the current Cats “didn’t seem like Kentucky players” to him when he met the team at the Hurricane Sandy telethon. Woods further apologized for the comments, especially those about the players giving off bad vibes at the event: “I should not have said that and I am sorry.”

Sounds good to me. Let’s move on.

34 Comments for Sean Woods apologizes for his comments, let’s move on

1. Bobby (aka Grinch) Knight
    11:18 am November 20, 2012 Permalink

What happened to me at the Duke game?

2. Yeah right
    11:18 am November 20, 2012 Permalink

I’m sorry you got mad, not that I said what I said…

3. PersoninGlassHouse
    11:19 am November 20, 2012 Permalink

You’re forgiven . . . but Cal’s gonna whup yur a** for that.

4. gimme a flippin break
    11:19 am November 20, 2012 Permalink

KSR has redundantly posted about this non-news story ad nauseaum. Beat it into the ground, buried it, and beat it some more. But NOW you say let’s move on. LOL, how ridiculous. Most of us were ready to move on after the first stupid post about this. sigh, gee thanks for the permission to move on. Now take your own advice

5. FranktheTank
    11:23 am November 20, 2012 Permalink

#1 – no doubt. That guy is just a cross breed between an attention whore and an ass clown.
    #2 – How does it feel to never have regretted something you said?
    #3 – he was gonna whip his azz anyway

#4 – You mad bro?

6. Mike
    11:26 am November 20, 2012 Permalink

I blame this whole fiasco on Brian Long. Obviously Mr. Woods ran into Brian while he was busy not appreciating it.

7. Champ
    11:28 am November 20, 2012 Permalink

4 everything is going to be ok buddy. Happy thoughts.

8. El Guapo
    11:35 am November 20, 2012 Permalink

He’s absolutely right. While they may be nice enough kids, the kids we recruit come from all over America (and the world) – pretty much everywhere EXCEPT Kentucky. While they wear a jersey that says “KENTUCKY” on the front, do they really represent the Commonwealth? No more than they will represent New York or New Orleans or Oklahoma City or wherever they’re playing next year. Do they know what Kentucky basketball means to the fans and the people here? When one of this year’s stars can’t tell you who Christian Laettner was…what do you think? All these kids know about Kentucky basketball now is it’s the place where you go to spend your mandatory year of basketball purgatory living like a rock star until you go get that pro money. They can’t tell you who was the star or coach in 1978. They probably couldn’t name you players from 1996. So winning is fun, and we can all say, “Yeah, WE won!” But did WE win? Those kids aren’t from Kentucky any more than Bobby Knight is. They’re mercenaries here for one reason: to get in a better position for more money next year. So you can cheer for them and say Sean Woods is cray-cray, but you know he’s not wrong. This is what big-time college basketball has come to, de facto pro franchise farm teams. Nothing about college athletics anymore has to do with college, and it’s a sham to pretend it does.

9. JustMe
    11:45 am November 20, 2012 Permalink

#4- I agree 100%. KSR keeps telling us to move on. I will determine when to move on from the comments. I don’t need KSR telling me how to interpret things. This place is getting annoying. Agenda agenda agenda. Thought you guys were different. Just report news, don’t tell me what to do.

10. Facts
    11:45 am November 20, 2012 Permalink

# 8 — Sean Woods was from Indiana.

11. I'm Batman
    11:51 am November 20, 2012 Permalink

El Guapo, what you’ve just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

That is one the most ignorant things I have read. Don’t people go to college to get a good job? If you were wanting to be an engineer, would you turn down Lexmark if they offered you a 6 figure salary after your freshman year? These kids are trying to better their lives. Who are you to say they shouldn’t be allowed to do what is best for themselves and their families? Grow up.

12. UK
    11:51 am November 20, 2012 Permalink

8) Other than the 1996 team all those things happened before players on the current team were born. And if you would really like Kentucky kids to be on the team then Kentucky has to get better at producing talent. There have been some good ones recently such as Remy Abell at IU, Anthony Hickey at LSU, and even Darius Miller. However, in Cal’s system the most talented players from all over the country come, but still leave loving UK. Ask MKG, Wall, Bledsoe, even Enes Kanter. They all come back (see Alumni Games)

13. Noneya
    11:52 am November 20, 2012 Permalink

Actually, Sean Woods is still from Indiana. Can’t change yer roots, bro.

14. 3rdHandle
    12:01 pm November 20, 2012 Permalink

#11 agreed. It doesn’t matter where they come from. Cal gets them to embrace and play for the name on the front of their jerseys. And it shows after they leave UK.

15. Blue
    12:04 pm November 20, 2012 Permalink

A couple of things for El Guapo…
    1. Sean Woods was from Indiana, not Kentucky.
    2. Basketball players don’t play for you and me…They play for themselves. WHen I played, I didn’t go out thinking to myself “We better win tonight for the fans…It’s about them, after all.” That’s ridiculous. They go out and play to win for themselves. We get so wrapped up in what it “means to be a Wildcat” when, in all reality, that probably doesn’t hit home to these kids until after they’re gone. Which leads me to…
    3. The players, despite only being here a year, maybe two, rave about the fans and how they feel a connection to the University, the people, and the entire state after they’ve finished their career here. THat’s why you see guys returning to play in alumni games and help out with Cal’s fantasy camp…They DO get it. Just because they don’t from day one doesn’t mean they don’t later. Chances are, they get it a hell of a lot more than you do because they live it every single day.
    4. How was it any different under Pitino? Outside of the Unforgettables (who were the only ones willing to stick around through probation BECAUSE they were Kentucky kids) aside from Derek Anderson, Travis Ford (both of whom left and transferred back to UK) and Anthony Epps, what Kentucky-born players played major roles during Pitino’s run? Kentucky has always recruited on a national level, and the state produces less high-quality D-1 talent now than it has in a long time. If we want Kentucky kids playing for UK, then the high school talent needs to improve.

16. Sean Woods' Shot
    12:05 pm November 20, 2012 Permalink

I’m not a perfect person. There’re many things I wish I didn’t do. But I continue learning.

Anyway, if Laettner had missed his shot Woods would have been one of the all time greatest heroes in Kentucky history for his shot to take the lead which would have won the game had Laettner missed. However, what if Woods had missed that shot?? The game would have ended and he would have been the goat. He banked it in from a weird angle at the free-throw line. I’ve always thought perhaps he missed it terribly and was just lucky it went in. There’s a very small chance he meant to bank that in in my opinion. BUT, had he missed it, we would have lost anyway and we wouldn’t have had to suffer through Laettner’s shot and all the replays of it all these years. SO, I BLAME SEAN WOODS FOR HITTING THAT SHOT. I’ve said my peace. Happy Thanksgiving.

17. Holding a Grudge
    12:12 pm November 20, 2012 Permalink

Who cares!! He’ll pay for it. The thing that’s really dumb is that Sean Woods is a coach for a D1 team and he talks about other players. Dumb move shows HIS immaturity and inability. He’s really no different than the type of kids he’s talking about.

18. tltaworl
    12:16 pm November 20, 2012 Permalink

If Sean really knew that much about the history of UK basketball then he would know better than throw UK players under the bus. Don’t mess with our guys! We have the internet and can make you pay!

19. the Big Dog
    12:21 pm November 20, 2012 Permalink

If Woods had missed the shot that game would have faded from memory. It does not matter where a UK player was born. What matters is he does after he becomes part of BBN. While the current players have the NBA on their minds much earlier than players from 20 years ago, I would still like to think that they play for KENTUCKY and not themselves. I think that Cal’s message is that you play for your team first and the rest will take care of itself. Why else would he keep telling us about how Davis was No5 on the team in shot attempts?

20. Dear IU and UL, We are National Champs; you are not. The end.
    12:23 pm November 20, 2012 Permalink

8) Welcome to the real world. Your doctor can give you meds to help you sleep at night.

21. bluefan
    12:25 pm November 20, 2012 Permalink

Seriously, El Guapo, yes WE Won!! If you didn’t feel that your team won a National Championship last April, why the heck are you on this website at all? You’re either a fan or you’re not.

These kids have less than a year to come in here and learn Coach Cal’s system. While they’re learning to play basketball for UK, they are also going to classes and keeping their grades up, interacting with fans, doing charity work. Pretty sure we don’t want them spending a vast amount of time with memorization of former players. This is just silly.

Is this site being taken over by UL & IU trolls? Can’t believe BBN fans would write this stuff about our kids, and yes, I said OUR kids.

22. LuvDaCats
    12:26 pm November 20, 2012 Permalink

he said something stupid, realized it, apologized………….over

23. Robster
    12:28 pm November 20, 2012 Permalink

Agreed….Let it go!

24. Real UK Fan
    12:38 pm November 20, 2012 Permalink

He said something really stupid. He sort of apologized. I doubt most UK fans will be so easily forgiving. Will be interesting to see what kind of reception he gets on Wednesday. Personally, I have a feeling this will be the beginning of the end for him at Morehead. I went to school there and I can tell you that almost everybody there is a UK fan first. Not so sure they will be so forgiving.

25. Doug
    12:58 pm November 20, 2012 Permalink

Folks. We have never said anything stupid…? Come on He’s a good guy and a former cat. Let’s move on to more important stuff..How about we find a football coach!

26. Carl
    1:02 pm November 20, 2012 Permalink

El Guapo should change your name to El Crappo. Did you know…Kyle Macy from Indiana, Dan Issell from Illinois, Jeff Sheppard…Georgia, Tony Delk…Tennessee, Jamal Mashburn…New York. The list of Kentucky stars not from Kentucky goes on and on. Do you think the current Duke players know who played for the national runner-ups in 1978? Check the roster of the 78, 96 and 98 team and tell me the percentage of Kentucky kids in the regular rotation. The college basketball arena has changed to go with the rules. We can operate within the rules and win or we can give our kids fake grades like UNC and jewelry like Duke and still lose.

27. JC
    1:03 pm November 20, 2012 Permalink

I did not think his apology was that sincere at all and his explanation was weak. I am a pushover, but after his interview I was more disappointed. Then when it got to the some of the most ignorant things he said, he couldn’t even talk about it. He just wanted to move on. Those were the statements that needed explaining. He is a favorite, but he should have been pushed just a little more. Not sure if I will root for him and that pains me. But he obviously has a problem. If he didn’t, he shouldn’t have gotten close to what he said.

28. JC
    1:04 pm November 20, 2012 Permalink

I wish everyone on the “Let’s move along” train would think that same about Mitch Barnhart.

29. Cats in the NBA
    1:05 pm November 20, 2012 Permalink

Sean Woods knows what a “real UK player” looks like. They are short and pudgy, with a mustache.

30. Alan Cutler's Mustache
    1:15 pm November 20, 2012 Permalink

Anybody that is a big enough person to apologize is okay in my book! I hope he is treated well when he is introduced at Rupp.

31. westkycatfan
    1:49 pm November 20, 2012 Permalink

ok now how many of you on here can name the starting 5 from the 78 championship team?
    can mr woods name the starting five from that team?
    as far as his comments go he knew better to throw the cats under the bus, so any thing he gets tomorrow night is well deserved.
    he was my favorite player when he was a uk and i still like him, but as my momma would say you make your bed now lay it.

32. NotFirst
    2:09 pm November 20, 2012 Permalink

a) He shouldn’t have said anything.
    b) He was a fine player and an excellent representative of the University, and I think we can all wish him well in his coaching endeavors.
    c) He shouldn’t have said anything.
    d) Lets hang a hundred on his team. And then.. move on.

33. wcatfan666
    2:19 pm November 20, 2012 Permalink

Robey Phillips Givens Claytor Macy, Lee off the bench

34. Ace Duncan
    3:45 pm November 20, 2012 Permalink

It put a dark cloud on what should have been a fun event, with MSU coming in to Rupp. He will likely hear some boos, and frankly, deserves them. It was a stupid comment and the only response is “Duh!!” Players are different than 20 years ago!! Really?