Scout.com releases new 2012 rankings

Shabazz is #1. I want him.

Evan Daniels took a break from his steak and chicken tenders at Cheddars to update the Scout.com 2012 rankings. The new rankings are out just in time for the July evaluation period, when D-1 coaches are free to go watch their 2012 targets in AAU tournaments and camps all over the country.

By the looks of Scout.com’s top 10, there certainly won’t be a shortage of big men for the 2012-2013 season.

1.) Shabazz Muhammad, SF
2.) Andre Drummond, C
3.) Isaiah Austin, C (Baylor)
4.) Dajuan Coleman, C
5.) Mitch McGary, C
6.) Kaleb Tarczewski, C
7.) Cameron Ridley, C (Texas)
8.) Brandon Ashley, PF
9.) Ricardo Ledo, SG
10.) Rodney Purvis, SG

Other familiar names:

14.) Kyle Anderson, SF
20.) Archie Goodwin, SG
22.) Perry Elis, PF

Check out the entire list at Scout.com.

Article written by Drew Franklin

11 Comments for Scout.com releases new 2012 rankings

1. JasonT
    11:23 am July 5, 2011 Permalink

I don’t understand how Drummond isn’t #1.

2. Francis the Talking Mule
    11:37 am July 5, 2011 Permalink

I don`t understand how his name is Shabazz Muhammad while his Fahther`s name is Ron Holmes. Unfortunately, I think he lands at AZ…..possibly UCLA.

3. JPhelps
    12:03 pm July 5, 2011 Permalink

How has Baylor over the last 5 years exploded from the mediocrity of the Big 12 to be the… Well… Mediocrity of the Big 12??? They do less with more talent that I can remember. Seems like they always have a top 20 recruiting class, and do NOTHING with it! Or is it just me?

And then again, how does Baylor recruit that kind of talent? It’s not like they have the “Kentucky Effect” or a big basketball tradition or anything? Think if I complained to the NCAA, they’d pursue them with the vigor they pursue us with???

4. peoplewhowork
    12:11 pm July 5, 2011 Permalink

I hope Shabazz comes to UK for the sole reason that every time he dunks or hits a three we can yell ‘SHABAM’ at least for a year. If he goes to Arizona or UCLA at least we might see him in the tournament for the next 2-3 years if they make it.

5. BillC
    12:22 pm July 5, 2011 Permalink

JPhelps, you could equally be thinking of Texas.

6. Mags Bennett
    12:37 pm July 5, 2011 Permalink

Perry Ellis #22 on Scout but #1 in Larry Vaught’s heart.

7. Cal's shopping list
    1:24 pm July 5, 2011 Permalink

Seems to look something like this:

Guards- Muhammad, Ledo, Goodwin.

Forwards- Ashley, Bennett, Pollard, Ellis.

Bigs- Drummond, Coleman, McGary

There are a lot of other big names still in play, but the listed guys seem to be main targets, whereas the others seem more secondary.

If Cal gets 3, it’s another potential #1 class. And I think he will get at least 3, it will just take some time.

8. ReverendBlue
    1:31 pm July 5, 2011 Permalink

Mitch McGrary is the best center available in my opinion. He is much better than Dejuan Coleman, but I hear that Coleman seems to be at the top of Calipari’s list. McGrary has the total package. He has an incredible motor, runs the floor well, good low post skills, rebounder, and good agility. His game reminds me a bit of Demarcus Cousins.

9. JPhelps
    3:23 pm July 5, 2011 Permalink

I’d like to get 3 of the top 10… Still feels weird to say that sometimes!

10. Cantseecomments
    4:49 pm July 5, 2011 Permalink

Why is it that sometimes, I can’t see all the messages?

11. JPhelps
    4:52 pm July 5, 2011 Permalink

BillC, good point! But their problem is their coach. Barnes is just an idiot…