Scout.com’s updated basketball rankings

Scout.com updated its 2013 player rankings today and Kentucky has five five-star players in the class.  Marcus Lee made a significant jump up the list, moving up 18 spots from No. 39 to No. 21, while Dakari Johnson dropped to No. 18.  Andrew Harrison, Aaron Harrison, James Young and Derek Willis saw no change in their rankings.

Old Ranking New Ranking
Andrew Harrison 3 3
Aaron Harrison 4 4
James Young 10 10
Dakari Johnson 15 18
Marcus Lee 39 21
Derek Willis

Kentucky’s three remaining targets also stayed the same:

Old Ranking New Ranking
Andrew Wiggins 1 1
Julius Randle 5 5
Aaron Gordon 6 6

Article written by Drew Franklin

24 Comments for Scout.com’s updated basketball rankings

1. Dusten
    3:21 pm January 29, 2013 Permalink

2. Dusten
    3:22 pm January 29, 2013 Permalink

Is marcus lee a five star still?

3. Dinner Bell
    3:23 pm January 29, 2013 Permalink

when does the pregame broadcast start tonight?

4. Dusten
    3:23 pm January 29, 2013 Permalink

answer-yes.
    make that five five stars so far! unh!

5. mudcreekmark
    3:34 pm January 29, 2013 Permalink

I really think we can forget about the 3 on your wish list. I hope I’m wrong. The only way I see that happening is if Cal can convince them that a perfect season is possible. I think it is possible if we can get Wiggins and at least WCS coming back. We would have WCS, Wiltjer and Harrow playing the roles that Miller,Lamb and Jones did on last years team, a steadying hand when things get tough for the young guns.

6. Crizzle
    3:36 pm January 29, 2013 Permalink

#5. forget about them based off what? Randle liking his NC state visit and Wiggins being shy? Lets be real here. We have a very real chance at getting one of those 3 even if we don’t know who until April.

7. bloobloodcat
    3:48 pm January 29, 2013 Permalink

Rankings dont always pan out. I’m sick of the rankings. Look at this years class for a prime example. Who of that group is next years Goodwin? Poythress? Remember, Young is the 3rd best SF in the class, similar to Poythress’ ranking.

8. Biglaw Dawgin'
    3:51 pm January 29, 2013 Permalink

This is such a great class. If we get any of those 3 it’s just going to be ridiculous. If Wiggins? Well, LeBron just might get to see what it would’ve been like to go to UK afterall.

9. Coach

11 – .743
    12 – .564
    13 – .967

Fab 5 .874

10. IndyAlan
    3:56 pm January 29, 2013 Permalink

Time to focus on getting Aaron Gordon who after watching the last 2 months I think I wouldn’t cry one bit about adding to this historic class. I think Wiggins goes to FSU and Randle is so confused what he wants I no longer care about his USA Today Blogging butt, let him fail at NC State or Texas!!

11. Coach
    4:03 pm January 29, 2013 Permalink

2013 with Gordon = 1.27! Best already now, but with Gordon, Wiggins or Randle it is really almost shameful at that point.

12. UpperSectionStudent
    4:04 pm January 29, 2013 Permalink

Remind me why we are giving that Willis kid a scholly? Just because he’s a KY boy?

13. Drew
    4:11 pm January 29, 2013 Permalink

12. Yes and he could turn out to be a hell of a player in a couple yrs!!!!

14. BIG MONEY ROB
    4:13 pm January 29, 2013 Permalink

12…. Especially after his father criticized Calipari. The kid would of never got an offer if he was Tennessee kid. Or some other state. If Calipari was like crean he would of already lost his
    Scholarship offer.

15. MC
    4:25 pm January 29, 2013 Permalink

#7. I understand your point. My question is where have you seen Young as the #3 SF. I’ve only seen him as the #2 SG behind his new team member. I understand he may be the starting SF next year, but haven’t seen him listed as one yet.

16. Rae
    4:26 pm January 29, 2013 Permalink

12. Yes and we need a lower star guy who is willing to wait for playing time. Darius Miller took time to develop. We might need a senior down the line.

17. lonnieb
    4:33 pm January 29, 2013 Permalink

@7
    Terrence Jones with 4th ranked PF according to rivals for what its worth…It usually plays out…..this year is the exception not the rule

18. Gordon is a Star
    4:36 pm January 29, 2013 Permalink

I agree #10. Gordon may have some weaknesses but what a tremendous set of skills he already has. He is a ton of fun to watch.

19. bloobloodcat
    4:36 pm January 29, 2013 Permalink

#15 That’s true, I actually haven’t seen him as the #SF, just assumed he would be playign SF here, and if he’s a SF, he’s certainly behind Mr. Wiggins and Mr. Parker. Good point, though. Will he be playing out of position though??

20. UKBlue1!
    4:47 pm January 29, 2013 Permalink

#16 we have him. His name is Kyle Wiltjer. Unless he picks up a tremendous amount of speed he is a four year player. You can also expect to see Harrow in a UK uniform next year unless he is given bad advice.

21. Linda Taylor
    4:49 pm January 29, 2013 Permalink

7 – The quality of players in this year’s freshman class as a whole (not just UK’s) was always considered to be lower than in most years. That is one big reason why the draft is also considered to be down this year. Next year’s freshman class is considered to be very very good and a much better class than this year’s. When you rely on freshmen as heavily as we are now (and I’m not complaining) you will be more subject to the quality levels of the classes. This is a down year for freshmen in general and we see it in our team. I still wouldn’t trade what we’ve enjoyed under Coach Cal and go back to primarily second-level talent or worse like we had with our two previous coaches. Next year is going to be off-the-charts fun.

22. mudcreekmark
    4:52 pm January 29, 2013 Permalink

6) My thinking is that with so much uncertainty with who is coming back and who is staying that some of these guys would be afraid of playing time log jam. Even though we know that Wiggins would start no matter who comes back Gordon and Randle is another story. WCS is already projected as a top 15 pick in some mock draft boards so if he comes back is he not going to start over two freshmen? Poythress is probably coming back also. Even though no one should be worried about Poythress beating them out, Cal will still play Poythress 20 plus minutes a game.Wiltjer is coming back for his third year and will be tough to get off the floor. You may be right but I am the type that would rather be pleasantly surprised when they sign than to be let down if they don’t. Just sayin.

23. PIX2CLICK
    5:00 pm January 29, 2013 Permalink

====

Wiltjer is the prototypical Euro big man, slow afoot, knocks down the three !!!

He’ll be a MILLIONAIRE next year …. IF, …. he wants to be ..

Barcelona baby …… see the world …… play overseas …. experience life !!!!

====

24. UKHoopshysteria
    5:52 pm January 29, 2013 Permalink

Whoever compared James Young to A Poy is making a crazy stretch. James can shoot and has handles. A more athletic Lamb and I loved me some Doron. Next yr’s incoming class has many intangibles this year didn’t: more pure shooters, playmakers, and twins who have already developed a chemistry together. I hope we land one more big recruit but the future is bright BBN.