SB Nation predicts that 11 Cats will be in the NBA’s top 100 players in 2017

cal-mkg-wall-boogie-davis

Earlier this summer, Coach Cal predicted that in the next few years, Kentucky players would make up 10% of the NBA. While that stat may have been a bit too ambitious, there’s no denying that the number of former Cats in the league has skyrocketed since Calipari took over in Lexington. SB Nation’s NBA writers and editors had some offseason fun and prognosticated the Top 100 NBA players in 2017. Eleven former/current Cats made the list:

7. Anthony Davis
14. Julius Randle
20. John Wall
22. DeMarcus Cousins
25. Nerlens Noel
34. Rajon Rondo
46. Eric Bledsoe
49. Michael Kidd-Gilchrist
52. Enes Kanter
56. Andrew Harrison
81. Terrence Jones

In addition, SB Nation’s crew thinks that former Calipari players Derrick Rose and Tyreke Evans will be the 5th and 48th best players in the league, respectively.

Julius Randle at #14? SB Nation’s Mike Prada defends his prediction:

I’m rolling with Randle over some of the other big names in the class because I see the raw power and skill that could redefine the power forward position. He’s potentially Lamar Odom without all the baggage, a better Anthony Bennett with passing. His defense is the big question mark now, but John Calipari is the kind of coach who will sit you if you don’t defend. I think he’s got as much potential as Andrew Wiggins, to be honest.

After seeing some of his recent tape, I totally agree.

What about the rest of the list? At first I thought Davis was a little high at #7, but considering how he completely alters a game defensively, I guess not. Because I think he’s primed for a breakout year, I feel Wall should be higher. I still don’t think we’ll know about MKG for a few more years.

Check out the entire list here.

H/t to Eric Lindsey

22 Comments for SB Nation predicts that 11 Cats will be in the NBA’s top 100 players in 2017

1. Wrong
    3:35 pm August 21, 2013 Permalink

It’ll be many more than that and some of those guys will definitely be ranked higher

2. Lonnieb
    3:36 pm August 21, 2013 Permalink

If cousins could get on a team with a star that would put his attitude in check he would be in the top10 on that list.

3. 2017
    3:40 pm August 21, 2013 Permalink

SB nations, U don’t know me. U just guessing. My bros, 2014, 2015, and 2016 have a say without a website.

4. SB Nations other survey
    3:43 pm August 21, 2013 Permalink

15 cards will be in the Cambodia’s bottom 50. #l1c4=loserville1stCambodia4-eva

5. I Say
    3:47 pm August 21, 2013 Permalink

You think Davis is too high at #7?! What about Andre Drummond at #3?

6. Josh hopkins
    3:53 pm August 21, 2013 Permalink

This list is pretty awful. Nerlins at 25? Seriously? I love the kid but….

7. Ryne
    3:55 pm August 21, 2013 Permalink

No Twins???

8. Ryne
    3:56 pm August 21, 2013 Permalink

My prediction is a lot more to come…

9. BGF
    4:01 pm August 21, 2013 Permalink

I wonder who picked up the tab for dinner?

10. Musehobo
    4:05 pm August 21, 2013 Permalink

I still think Wall and Cousins will be ahead of Davis by then. They are showing consistent improvement.

11. tyrus
    4:07 pm August 21, 2013 Permalink

If I’m reading this right, didn’t realize that Andrew H.(56) is that much better than Aaron H.(???).

12. CatsFanFrankfort
    4:13 pm August 21, 2013 Permalink

10% is not a stretch, if you think about it. If there are 15 starters that are UK players, that’s the 10% right there.

We’re already almost half-way there:
    Rondo, Wall, Bledsoe, Cousins, Davis, MKG, Kanter.

If Nerlens, Terrence, PPat and Goodwin can work their way into rotations in the next year or two, and WCS, Poythress, Randle, the Harrisons, and D. Johnson all step up their games in the next couple of years once they are in the league, there’s your 10%

13. King Nate
    4:15 pm August 21, 2013 Permalink

Good to see MKG enjoying some vino.

14. Give me a racoon, please.
    4:16 pm August 21, 2013 Permalink

I think Cousins is a top-10 player, Noel is maybe top-50 (not a knock on him, but he is somewhat one dimentional and I don’t know why to expect that to change), Wall should be top-15, MKG should be top-30, love Terrence Jones but don’t see him in the top-100. These lists are fun, but kind of silly because it is so unpredictable, especially for guys who are 1-3 years into their careers.

15. Huh?
    4:19 pm August 21, 2013 Permalink

12 Your math is way off on that one. Most NBA rosters have about 15 players on them, times that by 32 teams. Lets say there are 480 players in the nba, if there are only 15 UK players starting that isn’t even close to 10%

16. Huh?
    4:21 pm August 21, 2013 Permalink

Excuse me, there are 30 teams

17. Bob
    4:27 pm August 21, 2013 Permalink

Lmao at #4

18. cracka
    4:43 pm August 21, 2013 Permalink

15/16 – #12 said STARTERS, so 30 teams times 5 starters equals 150 starters, 10% of that would be 15 … so actually that math is correct and your comprehension is what is way off

19. lonnieb
    4:46 pm August 21, 2013 Permalink

@15
    He is talking about 10% of starters in the league…which would be roughly 15/16 players out of starters. More like 45-50 that are just in the league. Thats why he didnt name the other 15 or so cats in the league that do not start. After next season we will be pretty close to 10% in the league.
    6/7 from this season
    2 from last
    6 from 2 yr ago
    4 from 3 yr ago
    4 from 4 yr ago
    thats 22…plus all the other already in the league from pre cal

20. me
    5:08 pm August 21, 2013 Permalink

#11 – Andrew is the best point guard in the class, probably the best PG prospect since John Wall (or Kyrie, maybe). Aaron is a great 2-guard, but Aaron even said that Andrew would beat him 8 of 10 times in 1on1.

It’s largely a supply/demand issue also – LOTS of players can play the 2 (including a lot of natural PG’s), and there’s not as much demand for 2-guards. PG requires some more specific talents so there aren’t as many great ones, and EVERY team wants one.

21. Huh?
    5:20 pm August 21, 2013 Permalink

Yes but in the post Mrs. TT says LEAGUE, not starters.

22. offtopicsports.com