Saul Smith Wants a Coaching Job in Kentucky

ajrayno_1350859826_SaulSmith_1

Tubby Smith is apparently not taking his son Saul with him to Texas Tech. That means the son must find his way on his own and he is trying to do that by returning to Kentucky. A number of sources tell KSR that Saul Smith is actively campaigning to become the coach at Kentucky Wesleyan and is considered one of the top candidates for the job. The sources say that Smith has been to Owensboro a couple of times during the process and he is hoping to make it happen. We wish the former Cat the best, although Ryan Lemond is likely somewhere very upset at his alma mater for the potential move.

Article written by Matt Jones

55 Comments for Saul Smith Wants a Coaching Job in Kentucky

1. catmedic
    8:04 pm April 9, 2013 Permalink

no! say it is not so!

2. Ksu
    8:07 pm April 9, 2013 Permalink

Why shouldn’t D Hawkins come to UK? Because he’s not as good as this guy was!

3. Ares
    8:08 pm April 9, 2013 Permalink

Ryan Lemond needs to step in as a character witness.

4. KYWesleyanAlum
    8:11 pm April 9, 2013 Permalink

I am a Kentucky Wesleyan Alum. This is a storied program that needs a coach that understands how to market this program in a small market. Saul’s name may be just the ticket. This is a team that routinely whipped Wright State before they became D-1, And is a perrenial D-2 powerhouse! Come on down Saul!

5. Mack
    8:11 pm April 9, 2013 Permalink

Was it Saul’s choice not to go to Texas or was it Tubby’s?

6. MemphisCat
    8:12 pm April 9, 2013 Permalink

Saul looks like a character from the Walking Dead…

7. Tyler
    8:14 pm April 9, 2013 Permalink

Reminds me of those Sammy Sosa bleached skin pics

8. TLT
    8:16 pm April 9, 2013 Permalink

Yes, this is what they need, a continuous 10 lost season.

9. Austin
    8:17 pm April 9, 2013 Permalink

Can someone repeat the Lemond story? I know it involves his wife, but I don’t know the details. I have seen it referenced several times. Thanks.

10. catmedic
    8:21 pm April 9, 2013 Permalink

could not play, can he coach?

11. JC
    8:23 pm April 9, 2013 Permalink

Hate this guy almost more than little Richard Pitino. Both are the biggest douches I’ve ever met that in some way was associated with UK. Sad for Wesleyan if this happens.

12. mudcreekmark
    8:23 pm April 9, 2013 Permalink

I would say that this was a part of the deal for Tubby to get the job at Texas Tech. Saul couldn’t come with him. Saul was arrested for DUI a year or so ago and Texas Tech wanted no part of another drunk.

13. True statement
    8:27 pm April 9, 2013 Permalink

Please ,no more smith coaching in ky. We suffered enough.

14. statman
    8:28 pm April 9, 2013 Permalink

Good luck, Saul! Personally, I hope you become a great college coach.

15. Roland
    8:36 pm April 9, 2013 Permalink

Local (evansville) tv news said Head Coach @ KWC resigned today.
    Going to a school out west that is going to D1 from D2 next year.
    he will be asst head coach there.

16. Elvis Is Alive
    8:45 pm April 9, 2013 Permalink

After his infamous tweet dissing Cal and our program, he should be ashamed to ever step foot in this state. Salty Dog should go find a rec league game to play in. Maybe he won’t be picked last, maybe not.

17. Rusty
    8:48 pm April 9, 2013 Permalink

That arrogant prick makes me sick just seeing his face! I had 3 occasions to have an encounter with him all left me wanting to spit on him!

18. Gag
    8:50 pm April 9, 2013 Permalink

FUGLY!!’

19. BK in Scottsville
    9:01 pm April 9, 2013 Permalink

Wow…not a good picture. he looks like a guy that!!!! Yea, that guy

20. paintsville'sdairyqueen
    9:02 pm April 9, 2013 Permalink

Worst hair ever on a human.

21. ReaseDru
    9:15 pm April 9, 2013 Permalink

Cant say Saul is two faced, if he was he’d be wearin the other one..

22. TubbyToo
    9:16 pm April 9, 2013 Permalink

Saul would be a great choice!!!

23. SawSmith
    9:21 pm April 9, 2013 Permalink

I kid you not…One of my friends was talking to a friend and Saul Smith just so happened to be walking by….She emphatically says “Hey, it’s Saul!”….He turned and said “My name ain’t SAW!”….

What a douche.

24. wildcat
    9:33 pm April 9, 2013 Permalink

OH HECK NOOOOOO NOT IN A MILLION YEARS

25. Bubba Earl
    9:34 pm April 9, 2013 Permalink

Texas Tech probably wants to rid it’s reputation of Imbibing Coaches, they do not need the pub of another alcohol abuser on the bench!

26. bosshog
    9:34 pm April 9, 2013 Permalink

Yikes, looks like he’s in make-up for Avatar….but he’s not!

27. Dan
    9:35 pm April 9, 2013 Permalink

I mean, successful coach’s son, won a ring, played some minutes. And it actually looks like Amanada Lemond man the better choice.

28. Bill says
    9:36 pm April 9, 2013 Permalink

Here is how this should work, Saul should go to Florida an take Little Ricky’s old job. Rick left UK Tubby took over. Little Ricky left Florida and took Tubby’s job, so Little Tubby takes Little Ricky’s place makes perfect sense to me.

29. cracka
    9:44 pm April 9, 2013 Permalink

Saul was a complete dick to my buddy who asked for a pic with him, and he sucked at bball, f him

30. Laker Cat 18
    9:44 pm April 9, 2013 Permalink

Good Lord. If you have hair like that, just go ahead and shave it.

31. OwensboroDavid
    9:44 pm April 9, 2013 Permalink

Wow, Saul is getting crushed on here! Maybe it’s deserved, I don’t know. His dad is one of nicest people I’ve ever met and Saul was ok when I briefly talked to him one time. I think having Saul could create a buzz around Owensboro which could boost ticket sales for KWC. If he fails, then they’ll let him go. I think it’s worth a shot.

32. HQ
    10:05 pm April 9, 2013 Permalink

KWC is the UK of D2 with them also having 8 titles… Here is something most do not know about the Smiths and KWC. Tubby has always had a relationship with the college. 2 players have come from Minnesota to KWC because Tubby did not see them ever getting proper playing time so he contacted coach Lee and he found a home for them. Those players usually excel at that level. The upside is I could see that obviously continuing if Saul is the coach. The down side is can Saul coach? Tubby sure can but that doesn’t always mean that it will translate, IE Pat knight and Sean Sutton

33. bnbn
    10:06 pm April 9, 2013 Permalink

Wasn’t it definitively proved that Saul was the product of Swans/UPS man? No matter, Coach Saul will instruct all of his players to kick balls on defense and dribble into the corner and attempt to throw the ball off the feet of double-teams. Go Cats!

34. Steve
    10:06 pm April 9, 2013 Permalink

I too am a Ky Wesleyan alum and I wonder why Saul didn’t go to Lubbock? KWC has made a livin on d-1 transfers and local Ky kids. If Saul has a track on the transfers maybe he’s successful if no pipeline then Bellarmine will continue to kick their ass.

35. CatBlue in LR
    10:07 pm April 9, 2013 Permalink

I admit I haven’t been to a KWC game in almost 25 years, but why are ticket sales a problem? In the ’80s you almost couldn’t get a seat in the Sportscenter. Has it fallen that far? Where’s Wayne Boultinghouse?

36. Rae
    10:13 pm April 9, 2013 Permalink

Lil Ricky is younger than Lil Tubby and already infinitely more successful.

37. btowncatfan
    10:14 pm April 9, 2013 Permalink

The state of Kentucky isn’t big enough for Saul Smith and Ryan Lemond anymore. Have them duke it out, last man standing stays.

38. beaujay
    10:29 pm April 9, 2013 Permalink

Does he have a ponytail?

39. jeff
    10:51 pm April 9, 2013 Permalink

I hope and welcome Saul back to Kentucky. Smith was a hard hustler at UK and would represent Wesylan well.

40. Hugh Jardon
    11:00 pm April 9, 2013 Permalink

I think I saw this same person on one of my daughter’s cartoons. He was on a flying carpet…

41. tties
    11:18 pm April 9, 2013 Permalink

horse face killa bringing the dui record to kentucky

42. choda boy
    11:34 pm April 9, 2013 Permalink

What a turd. King Turd, that is his official name. Biggest piece of shit ever.

43. Usernametaken
    11:37 pm April 9, 2013 Permalink

It may be Division II, but the standards at Wesleyan are pretty high. I hope he knows what he’s getting himself into.

44. ibescootch
    11:55 pm April 9, 2013 Permalink

Do people like him not have mirrors in their houses? Just shave the hair off, man. Just let it go. People have been saying it behind your back for years, trust me.

45. Tuggy B
    1:05 am April 10, 2013 Permalink

NO way he gets this job. Too prestigious… even for Saul Smith.

46. jetblue
    5:05 am April 10, 2013 Permalink

He is the ugliest person I’ve ever seen.

And also Lemond is gonna shit!

47. Love Struck
    6:23 am April 10, 2013 Permalink

Take it for what you will, but I do know Saul used to or still does date a girl with family living in Owensboro. (A former teacher of mines daughter) Maybe that could have a play in all this.

48. Poppschmidty
    7:33 am April 10, 2013 Permalink

Can somebody tell me what Lemond has against Saul Smith? I dislike the guy too, but I know nothing of the situation.

49. UKBlue1!
    7:52 am April 10, 2013 Permalink

Kentucky Wesleyan is about the level his father Tubby should be coaching.

50. silverado
    9:16 am April 10, 2013 Permalink

Ridiculous comments from small people. Best of luck, Saul!!!

51. cjcat
    9:34 am April 10, 2013 Permalink

Saul needs to go to Sibera with Tubby and Donna so he can stay on her t-ttie. #50 you must be HUGE~!

52. Poppschmidty
    10:02 am April 10, 2013 Permalink

People are offended by my Spring Game picture and not a picture of Saul??!?!?!?! What’s wrong with this world?!?!?

53. BravoBigBlue
    1:09 pm April 10, 2013 Permalink

Saul was/is a black eye of Tubby’s tenure at Kentucky. The poster boy of what’s wrong with nepotism. He wasn’t good enough to play here, yet Daddy let him start for 2 years. Holds the all-time NCAA record for fouling a 3-point shooter. And, from all accounts, a prick of a person. Other than all that, my gosh yes, he’s a wonderful choice for Wesleyn. But only if Sean Sutton is not available.

54. CatFanOne
    3:16 pm April 10, 2013 Permalink

I agree with #53. Never should have been more than a water boy at best and good lord cut that hair. Looks like he got hit with a shovel straight to the forehead. Saul won’t ever be a good coach because he wasn’t a smart player….. Tubby seemed to be a good guy and a average coach, Saul is probably a tow truck drivers kid or something…

55. Alumnifan
    3:01 am April 11, 2013 Permalink

Saul will be watched at every turn if he comes to WESLEYAN. Learn how to spell the name. They’ve won 8 National Titles, and hold the vast majority of NCAA records including the most NCAA tournament appearances of and D2 school. He already has a coaching staff in place that came from Minnesota. One DUI does not qualify a person for a lifetime of ridicule, nor does his hair. I don’t know if he will get the job, but if he does I hope he is successful. And, if he gets the job, he will either use diplomacy or the boosters at KWC will show him the door, and that will end his career.