Saturday Night Notes

brandon-knight-tennessee

While you’re out celebrating the big win, there are still things going on in the UK Sports world.  Here’s a quick run down of some thoughts and things for you to take note of.  In fact, some might even call them news and views.  Some.

-First of all I have to give huge credit to Brandon Knight for wearing shining armor today.  Knight had one of his worst games to date two days ago (at least offensively,) but managed to sink the game winner and then carry his team past a tough West Virginia team.  Going into half time things were looking down – for the second straight year our freshmen (with the exception of BK,) were playing like freshmen against WVU.  Knight wouldn’t accept that though, came out, and set the pace for the rest of the team.  Huge preformance from him this weekend as he won both games for us – in different fashions.

-Along with Knight, our man Josh Harrellson continues to be a beast.  Josh now has 30 points, 18 rebounds, 5 steals and 2 blocks in the first two games of the season.  For a man that never really had a defined role other than ‘clean up around the rim,’ that has been huge.  The two most reliable plays in today’s game were to have Brandon Knight create something, or to let Jorts put a missed shot back in.  Huge game for what has become one of, if not the, most important parts of this Kentucky team.

With the win, the Cats will move on to play the winner of Ohio State/George Mason, which could go one of two ways.  If OSU wins, we get a week of most talking heads predicting a romp, and a few savvy one’s picking the upset (looking at you Charles Barkley.)  More importantly, most every neutral fan in Newark will back the Cats – everyone likes an upset.  If George Mason wins, most of the press will start asking if Cinderella can strike twice and this will paint Kentucky to look like the bad guys – and the neutral fans will sport Green and Yellow.  Either way, the game is going to be on Friday and while the time has yet to be announced, there’s as good a chance of it being prime time as there is of OSU beating George Mason.

-With Florida winning today too, that puts the top two SEC teams into the Sweet Sixteen – about what everyone predicted for the conference.  Of course, Florida gets a depleted BYU or the 11 seed Gonzaga as their next round opponent, which must be nice.  Still, count me as one that likes to see conference success – so long as they don’t win the National Title.

-Let’s all take a moment and pour one out for Morehead State.  They came into the tournament and did their jobs – take out Louisville – but they couldn’t make it past the Richmond Spiders despite Kenneth Faried’s double double.  The run, while short, was great for their program and team.  People got to see a generally unknown Kentucky school’s team come in and take out one of the big boys, ruin a lot of people’s brackets, and witness the strength of Faried – who I can’t wait to watch play in the NBA.  I wish they could still be around, but Morehead State – we’ll always have that moment we shared on Thursday. No one can take that away from us.

-While you read this, UK Hoops is about to head into half time in their first NCAA tournament game. Also a 4 seed, the women are taking on the Hampton Pirates, which have an awesome mascott but not an awesome women’s basketball team.  The Lady Cats are up 8 and you can catch the rest of the game on ESPN2/3.  We will update with the final score.  UPDATE: Congratulations to UK Hoops for winning a close one in over time against that Hampton Pirates – who were apparently a lot better at basketball than I originally thought.  Shame on me.  Cats win, 66-62.

Article written by Will Lentz

93 Comments for Saturday Night Notes

1. duhville cat
    7:42 pm March 19, 2011 Permalink

Props to Morehead St. …..”The Cawd Killers!”
    BTW, where did all the trolls go? Huh.

2. Big Blue 66
    7:42 pm March 19, 2011 Permalink

when is the team coming back to Lexington?

3. K Faried
    7:46 pm March 19, 2011 Permalink

I’m sorry my game was off today, Thin air up here and i had to much “BIRD” in my diet couple days ago so i was a little under the weather……Peace…………….

4. Thatsashame
    8:04 pm March 19, 2011 Permalink

The comment section is so much more civil when we win.

5. AKA cold buckets
    8:11 pm March 19, 2011 Permalink

I agree with number 4. The worst was last year when we lost to WVU people kept posting the lyrics to “Country Roads”. Revenge is awesome.

6. GODSAZNO
    8:18 pm March 19, 2011 Permalink

I don’t think any talking heads will be predicting OSU to romp UK. A victory perhaps, but not a romp.

7. KL Reed
    8:25 pm March 19, 2011 Permalink

For all of you JONES’in for a good time, then have the girls grab a warm pair of LIGGINS and maybe even a HOODie in case its cold. Guys, get out your finest pair of JORTS and grab a case of MILLER lite. Make sure you lock your DORON the way out, because it’s going to be a late KNIGHT – the CATS are in town!

(you heard it here fir…st!)

8. KL Reed
    8:26 pm March 19, 2011 Permalink

For all of you JONES’in for a good time, then have the girls grab a warm pair of LIGGINS and maybe even a HOODie in case its cold. Guys, get out your finest pair of JORTS and grab a case of MILLER lite. Make sure you lock your DORON the way out, because it’s going to be a late KNIGHT because the CATS are in town!

9. Alamo_CatFan
    8:28 pm March 19, 2011 Permalink

Butler working on taking out Pitt and making Florida’s run to the FF a cakewalk….blah

10. HartcoCat
    8:50 pm March 19, 2011 Permalink

Our boy said “Turns out the lights in Tampa because its Knight Time”

11. GapToothDanny
    8:59 pm March 19, 2011 Permalink

tip o’ the cap to Morehead & Rowan County…temporarily the basketball capitol of the world!

12. Robasama
    9:06 pm March 19, 2011 Permalink

Why didn’t we recruit Shelvin Mack?

13. SexnNursinHomes
    9:09 pm March 19, 2011 Permalink

Tampa, Strip Club capital of the U.S with over 100 Strip Clubs.

if uf gets into the final game with that gift-wrapped NCAA #2. somebody should be skinned, hung, and left to bleed to death

14. KY12
    9:09 pm March 19, 2011 Permalink

12) BCG was out recruiting 8th graders.

15. iluvuk
    9:13 pm March 19, 2011 Permalink

If you are Pitt, a #1 seed, how do you let the shot clock run out in the last minute of your game? Wow!

16. TheGuyPitinoForgotToPayToGetFreshFishAtPorchinis
    9:17 pm March 19, 2011 Permalink

So I missed the game today because of work obligations and I have to see it…

Checked CBS’s March Madness on Demand and all they have are 2 minutes of highlights. WTF???

In years past you could watch the games live AND time shifted. Is this not possible now?

ANYONE KNOW WHERE I CAN WATCH THE FRIGGIN GAME FROM TODAY?

Thx, Cat fan in need

17. lumberjackcat
    9:23 pm March 19, 2011 Permalink

That butler game was crazy

18. I can't see the comments
    9:24 pm March 19, 2011 Permalink

And Pitt does it again. And Butler does it again. That is awesome.

19. T.J.
    9:26 pm March 19, 2011 Permalink

Craziest ending I’ve ever seen….

20. Han
    9:26 pm March 19, 2011 Permalink

The Butler did it! Holy crap. What a game for Mack. Just like Knight, comes back from a lackluster game to carry his team past a tough opponent. Amazing.

21. Ohioukfan75
    9:28 pm March 19, 2011 Permalink

Don’t know how everyone else feels but I think liggins can guard anyone left in the tournament. And honestly osu can’t match up with our guards

22. JeffCat
    9:29 pm March 19, 2011 Permalink

Pitt crashes and burns. Anybody still want to make the case that the Big (L)East is the best conference in the country? Anybody?

23. Han
    9:29 pm March 19, 2011 Permalink

16) Check again to see if they add it after a few hours.

Otherwise just start googling and hope you get lucky. Also watch TCP for posts about the same. Someone will have DVR’d it and will put it up eventually.

24. Han
    9:31 pm March 19, 2011 Permalink

That may be the first time I have seen refs call not 1 but 2 end of game fouls that could decide the game. Usually they just swallow the whistle (like the Big East St. Johns game). Shocking that the refs got it right twice and somehow Butler still won. Just wow.

Also, that upset destroyed a lot of brackets. Those of us who took Wisconsin or K State feeling a lot better.

25. I can't see the comments
    9:35 pm March 19, 2011 Permalink

26. Han
    9:36 pm March 19, 2011 Permalink

Apparently no one told BYU that they’re supposed to lose without their dismissed player. Florida’s gonna have their hands full with Jimmer if BYU holds against Gonzaga.

27. Boogiewoogie
    9:36 pm March 19, 2011 Permalink

And how about the Big (L)East? The first one seed to go down is Pitt. The best conference to never win chamiponships…

28. Catfan123
    9:36 pm March 19, 2011 Permalink

Seth Davis just compared being a coach to a Chilean miner…what a dumb douche

29. MikeInLexington
    9:37 pm March 19, 2011 Permalink

Bye bye BIG LEAST. Nova, Louisville, Pittsburgh, St Johns, Georgetown, West Virginia!!!! 2 more will get beat tomorrow because 4 of them play each other. If someone compares them to the SEC in football again, bitch slap them………OVERRATED.

30. Mr Schwump
    9:37 pm March 19, 2011 Permalink

20, Mack almost cost his team with a dumb foul only to be out-dumbed by Pitt.

31. gumby
    9:38 pm March 19, 2011 Permalink

WOW, that pitt-butler game had 2 of the dumbest fouls committed i’ve ever seen…and i don’t what anybody says, both were good calls.

32. Han
    9:38 pm March 19, 2011 Permalink

21) The key to beating OSU, assuming they take down George Mason, is winning the foul-off between Sullinger and Jorts. Whichever team’s big man avoids foul trouble has the best chance of winning.

It would really, really help if 1) we have 3 scoring outbursts from the group of Knight, Miller, Lamb and Harrelson, and 2) Jones can be effective around the basket.

33. lumberjackcat
    9:44 pm March 19, 2011 Permalink

I hope tennessee don’t hire butlers coach I love this guy.

34. Mr Schwump
    9:45 pm March 19, 2011 Permalink

33, he can do better than Tn.

35. KY12
    9:50 pm March 19, 2011 Permalink

Stephens will replace… Jim Calhoun at Uconn, you heard it here first. Look for Calhoun to retire this year after a decent tourney run and they will go hard after the young Butler coach.

36. mudcat
    9:53 pm March 19, 2011 Permalink

Big (L)east will have only 3 teams left after tomorrow. That is only because 4 of them play each other. I love it! That is if Notre Dame beats Florida State. Life is good!

37. KY12
    9:53 pm March 19, 2011 Permalink

Additionally, the Southeast region is the absolute worst bracket of all time. Horrible 1,2,3 seeds in Pitt, Florida and a wounded BYU team.

38. JeffCat
    9:55 pm March 19, 2011 Permalink

34) Agreed. Who would want to coach the chumps who rolled over and laid down on the game’s biggest stage? Besides that you’d be playing third fiddle to football and the women’s team. Hopefully they’ll get some second rate flunky coach who will ensure us two easy SEC wins every year.

39. SexnNursinHomes
    9:56 pm March 19, 2011 Permalink

35- I know calhoun can get Stevens a sweet deal on a laptop computer from aj price.

40. Ron Burgundy
    10:02 pm March 19, 2011 Permalink

“Duh!” Losing – Louisville Basketball

41. Wampuscat43
    10:15 pm March 19, 2011 Permalink

Just curious – has any team ever had 3 different freshmen score 30+ in a game before?

42. tdogg4033011
    10:18 pm March 19, 2011 Permalink

BRING ON THE BUCKEYES ….. WE ARE UK !!!

43. cats11
    10:20 pm March 19, 2011 Permalink

What’s the Big East’s record?

44. The Jimmer
    10:20 pm March 19, 2011 Permalink

I am coming. To take the Southeast Region.

45. Big Blue 66
    10:28 pm March 19, 2011 Permalink

Wheres Matt, CBS says Mike Anderson is headed to Arkansas, let the dominos begin

46. Jeremy
    10:30 pm March 19, 2011 Permalink

Jeremy lamb isn’t related to doron is he? I figured i would have heard by now but who knows.

47. HillbillyInBC
    10:31 pm March 19, 2011 Permalink

I picked BYU to win that lame Southeast region the second I saw it, even without their fornicating big man.

48. Liggins Sez
    10:50 pm March 19, 2011 Permalink

Bring on the Jimmer.

49. NKY_UK_fan
    10:59 pm March 19, 2011 Permalink

Sir Charles ripping the Big Least at halftime of UC vs. Uconn. Saying the Maccabai (sp) league is better…..LOL. While Ricky 3 Stacks sits next to him.

50. Escape Goat
    11:03 pm March 19, 2011 Permalink

Nothing better than watching Charles Barkley completely smash the Big East right to Pitino’s face. I’m starting to like that guy more and more every day.

51. Blueburg
    11:06 pm March 19, 2011 Permalink

What an incredible day! ‘So glad to get to share that moment of triumphant victory with my son. I remember sharing those kinds of moments with my dad when I was just a kid. So this team has already exceeded my post-Kanter expectations. What a thrill it was to see Josh Harrelson’s dad cheering him on. Great to see Pat Riley in the stands as well. And to hear Charles Barkley pick us to upset (if they win out) Ohio State- shocking. I know this, Brandon Knight sure had his way in there today. The confidence he has is breath-taking. I look for Darius to “Bounce Back” next game. And I thought TJ played a good game. He was more agressive, he took descent shots and that one take away he had was viscious. I love this team. Liggins’ playmaking skills on offense absolutely amazes me. And this teams ability to hit shots when they really need them is what makes them really special. I will enjoy this win all week now. And I am confident that these young men will give it everything they got against our next opponent.

52. info
    11:07 pm March 19, 2011 Permalink

CORRECTION FOLKS….

Just wanted to correct the quote above #14 talking #12…

Gillispie actually tried to get Mack after Tubby missed out on Mack….

Tubby didn’t recruit Mack at all, didn’t think he was good enough so Mack decided on Butler…

When BCG checked on him, Mack stayed committed to Butler because they were always with him…

53. KY12
    11:14 pm March 19, 2011 Permalink

53) I know. It was a joke, Mack commited as a junior. I like my story better.

54. Go Eers!
    11:17 pm March 19, 2011 Permalink

I don’t feel too bad about this loss. We all know Cal will vacate this season so WVU alreay won. Let’s GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO MOUNTAINEERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111

55. blondedanie
    11:20 pm March 19, 2011 Permalink

Saw Enes Kanter at a restaurant this evening in NKY…I am sure it is hard for him not to be with HIS team during the tournament!

56. KY12
    11:32 pm March 19, 2011 Permalink

The Southeast region is getting worse by the minute, K State was the most talented team left.

57. FormerOxfordResident
    11:46 pm March 19, 2011 Permalink

Exchange:

Barkley: I still have Kentucky in my final four.

Ricky Three Stacks: I don’t care, I’m going home to watch Egypt fight Germany.

Aside from the fact that you are going clubbing in NYC tonight, WTF Ricky P.????

58. eat my jorts
    11:56 pm March 19, 2011 Permalink

hey 54 just go home with your mountainqueers

59. culp9
    12:07 am March 20, 2011 Permalink

Eloy Vargas write up from ESPN in 2008……..Outstanding prospect! Long and very active player with a good skill package for a 6’10” kid. Face up 4 man with a nice 17 foot jumper. Handles the ball well. Only been in USA for a year and he’s much improved. Not ready to dominate yet and needs strength but could be a special player in another year.

60. UKrifle>WVUrifle
    12:25 am March 20, 2011 Permalink

Will, the NCAA just hates the SEC!!

Women got 4 teams in, and currently 2-0
    Men got 5 teams in, and currently 2 are in the sweet 16

61. barn
    12:25 am March 20, 2011 Permalink

good. you’ve been paying attention. but th’ ohigh state has to get by george first

62. barn
    12:26 am March 20, 2011 Permalink

sorry, 61 was meant for 21

63. KYStout
    12:33 am March 20, 2011 Permalink

Pearl is done at UT.

News conference scheduled for Sunday…rumor has it UT has been warned by the NCAA and Pearl is being let go to try and protect the university itself.

I kind of feel bad for Pearl somehow…he is going the way of Kelvin Sampson.

64. JeffCat
    12:42 am March 20, 2011 Permalink

60) The SEC itself shares some of the blame. Aside from Kentucky, the conference’s top teams usually flame out on the first weekend. Vandy was a joke yesterday and Tennessee would have gotten beat by the Ky. School For The Blind. At least Florida finally lived up to their preseason hype. Having said that I agree that the committee was biased. The bios of all the committee members show that they were from the Northeast and Midwest; which explains why so many lame teams from Big 10 and Big Least made it.

65. STEVE!
    12:42 am March 20, 2011 Permalink

38 – They already have a second-rate flunky coach who ensures us two easy SEC wins each year. We’ve beaten Pearl twice each of the past three years.

66. Band Of BlueCats
    12:46 am March 20, 2011 Permalink

So glad I put Butler, Wisconsin, and Richmond in my sweet 16 but Gonzaga losing to BYU hurt me. BYU is messing up that part of my bracket.

67. JeffCat
    12:47 am March 20, 2011 Permalink

65) Yeah, good point. Pearl will be missed if only for his entertainment value. At least we won’t have to look at that pukey orange coat anymore.

68. Charles Barkley
    1:36 am March 20, 2011 Permalink

It wasn’t a dream, it really happened!

69. Sheriff Buford T. Justice
    1:40 am March 20, 2011 Permalink

Harrellson is going to turn Newark into the Jorts Shore.

70. Sheriff Buford T. Justice
    1:41 am March 20, 2011 Permalink

and btw… FEAR THE DENIMLITION MAN!!!

71. BlueMike
    2:06 am March 20, 2011 Permalink

I will miss Pearl. Didn’t like him as a coach at all, but the man was entertaining. He has charisma. I loved beating him, especially with that ugly ass orange coat he wore. I thought he was good for the SEC, brought some personality to the conference. And I loved kicking his azz twice a year. Other than Cal and widows peak Donovan, there’s no big names in the SEC. Pearl deserves to be let go, not for the infraction, but for lying about it, but I’ll miss him if he’s escorted out the door. He may be low down, he may be dirty and he’s definitely a snitch, but he’s the coach of UT and I love whooping up on that azz!

If it’s true and Pearl is dismissed, who replaces him? Who does UT bring in to take the ugly orange to the next level? Where can they find someone with a penis larger than Pat’s?

72. theGREATbluewa11
    3:09 am March 20, 2011 Permalink

i bet UT tries for pelphrey and he takes his recruits there….watch

73. gokycats33
    4:18 am March 20, 2011 Permalink

HA, HA, HA!!!! Some UT fans have started a facebook page to keep pearl: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Keep-Bruce-Pearl/118947554847946 They are even doing a rally for him. Here is what someone posted: Rally for Coach Pearl… show your support…. 3PM G10 Parking Garage Roof…. Tell all your friends… tell your friends at church tomorrow to come after…. tell those who you know who don’t have facebook or twitter…

74. tdr76
    7:18 am March 20, 2011 Permalink

Great day in Tampa yesterday, way to go CATS!!!

75. NBA league pass
    7:42 am March 20, 2011 Permalink

I’m no Pearl fan (I can’t stand him in fact), but if Pearl gets fired for what he did…then Jim Tressel should be gone at OSU NO QUESTION. I’m sick of OSU getting a pass for all the crap they pull.

Wonder if UT goes after the kid from Butler to replace Pearl?

76. Bert
    7:43 am March 20, 2011 Permalink

#73, how could anyone say no to a rally on a parking garage roof? I’ll be there. I agree that Brad Stevens is too good for UT. He is bound for Duke when K leaves or maybe Indiana when Crean gets fired. I can’t see him not taking a top 7-8 job. His future is bright.
    Anyone else see the attitude that Eloy’s starting to show? He’s got enforcer written all over him for next season. There’s a mean streak in him that I like.

77. larry
    8:05 am March 20, 2011 Permalink

I think Pearl has been good for SEC basketball. I do agree that his infractions put the university in a tough position right now but lets not “throw any stones”. It is nice to have Tenn, Ga, etc being competitive outside the league…I for one hate seeing UK (Fl at times) being the flag bearer for the league every March.

78. duhville cat
    8:07 am March 20, 2011 Permalink

Yeah. And when the UT fans go to the, parking garage, rally to support Pearl…… the UT players (bb&fb) will be robbing their homes.

79. jim tressel
    8:45 am March 20, 2011 Permalink

I have had more NCAA violations than Bruce Pearl but I keep my job. But I didn’t lie to the NCAA I just didn’t tell them anything.

80. tdogg4033011
    8:49 am March 20, 2011 Permalink

duhville cat IN DA HOUSE !!!!!!!

I can’t wait till Friday ….. GO CATS !!

81. duhville cat
    9:08 am March 20, 2011 Permalink

80) Sup dogg. Go Cats!

82. Adam
    9:20 am March 20, 2011 Permalink

Lil Jimmer Fredette magic pivot foot. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mcrd5JKZ7zM

83. SexnNursinHomes
    9:24 am March 20, 2011 Permalink

78- hahaha. Wish I was an ADT salesman in knoxville these days. Be a millionaire in a month

84. High School Sweet Sixteen
    9:34 am March 20, 2011 Permalink

I don’t know if any of you followed the KHSAA Sweet Sixteen, but Calipari needs to closely look at Anthony Hickey from Christian County and the Wing kid from Rowan County. Those two teens can play! I know Hickey’s size is questionable, but he makes up for it in speed. Look at UCLA… their leading scorer is well under 6 foot.

85. Al's IndiCats
    9:37 am March 20, 2011 Permalink

Tressel won’t be fired, The president of the university already said he won’t be fired, so you can forget about that…..If the NCAA comes down on on OSU, maybe……Then maybe, they might, but Ohio’s a cash cow for the big ten, so I wouldn’t lay any wagers on it.
    Other than my Cats being my favorite Team Saturday it had to be Butler, The Big (L)east #1 seed was beaten by a team that won the Horizon league Tourny, just goes to show that the selection committee has their perverbial heads up their asses…..I love it!

86. NotTheSlickistRick
    9:40 am March 20, 2011 Permalink

83) You would just spend it on demon rum and women of questionable morals.

Sex with love is the greatest thing in life. But sex without love – that’s not so bad either.

Mae West

87. KYStout
    9:45 am March 20, 2011 Permalink

84 – I’m sure they look great against high school players from Kentucky. I bet neither one of them could even carry Hood or Polson’s jock strap and look how much those guys get to play.

88. SexnNursinHomes
    9:45 am March 20, 2011 Permalink

86-haha wise words haha

89. HartcoCat
    9:59 am March 20, 2011 Permalink

KSR… Wake up little Sleepy heads.. Us Junkies need a Fix!!

90. Late As Usual
    10:06 am March 20, 2011 Permalink

No post for u

91. HillbillyInBC
    10:08 am March 20, 2011 Permalink

82 – Nothing magical there. We call it the Duke Shuffle in honour of those who perfected it, but pretty much everybody does that (or worse) these days without a call.

92. bush man
    3:29 pm March 20, 2011 Permalink

another year for duke and nc playing in charlotte. get most of the calls and will win any close game. just another joke out of ncaa selection committee.

93. bush man
    3:30 pm March 20, 2011 Permalink

duke and nc in charlotte again. calls go their way and they will win any close game. another joke out of ncaa selection committee.