Siovaughn Funches’ Saturday News and Views

(h/t DeadSpin.com)

Every now and then throughout the course of the day, someone will tweet out a picture that leaves you in a bit of shock. Today, that picture was courtesy of DeadSpin.com. DeadSpin linked a picture of Dwyane Wade’s ex-wife, Siovaughn Funches, who is apparently having a bit of a meltdown in downtown Chicago. The dramatic gesture comes on the heels of a law suit Funches filed against Wade earlier this month over proceeds from the athlete’s endorsement deals. You might recall that Wade just recently wrapped up a nearly 4-year custody battle with his wife in 2011, which finally left him with sole custody of their two young sons. Wade and Funches, once high school sweethearts, married in 2002.

In the most recent suit, Funches claims that she cannot pay her mortgage, home or auto insurance because of funds withheld from Wade’s endorsement deals with companies such as T-Mobile and Gatorade. Ahhh, lifestyles of the famous… I’ll pass.

And now on to the news and views from the day…

The media world took a collective sigh of relief following a whirlwind of quotes and press events during the SEC’s Media Day. The zoo of a 3-day scene finally came to a close with only a few Johnny Football leftovers still on the table today for the sports world to pick through. The news was relatively slow today until…

…We learned that we have to say goodbye to Kyle Wiltjer one more time, and this time officially.

—- Earlier this summer, Kyle Wiltjer left the door wide open for the possibility of a transfer. Wiltjer let it be known publicly that a transfer was going to be his likely course of action. John Calipari and Wiltjer both made statements that left a tiny glimmer of hope for a return though. That glimmer seemed to grow with each passing day, especially following his visit to Gonzaga. Between a few statements by Wiltjer’s father about his love for UK and the fact that he might prefer his son to stay and redshirt in Lexington, and the amount of time that passed after the visit to Gonzaga… the likelihood of Wiltjer returning to Kentucky seemed to greatly increase.

—- With an August 1st deadline to enroll at Gonzaga, the final decision was made today. Kyle Wiltjer will in fact be transferring to Spokane to play for Gonzaga. In case you missed it, here was the message from Kyle Wiltjer to the BBN, a fan base he clearly feels a strong connection with despite the transfer:

Dear BBN, this past month has been very emotional and challenging for me. Whether to transfer or not has been one of the toughest decisions of my life, so I would like to thank everyone for being so supportive through this process. I feel like in my basketball career I’m facing a make it or break it moment and the primary factor in this decision is transforming my body. I’m choosing to transfer to Gonzaga because i feel they have a proven plan in place to help develop players similar to me, which has seen great results. I believe with hard work I can maximize my development at Gonzaga. The last two years at UK have been a valuable experience and I’m very grateful for them. Even though I’m leaving the program, Coach Cal and I will continue our relationship and I will look to him for advice. He is more than just a coach to me. I have made many friends here and I plan to come back. My heart will always be in Lex.

Kyle Wiltjer

—- Wiltjer added a few telling quotes to Jim Meehan of Spokane:

“When I found out what they have to offer, I was really comfortable. Gonzaga’s style of play fits me well. They’ve done a great job with guys like Kelly Olynyk and others who have had a year off to work on their bodies.”

—- John Calipari took to Twitter in response to Wiltjer’s transfer as well, showing clear disappointment, but also support for Wiltjer in his decision:

I’m saddened that (Kyle Wiltjer) is leaving the program, but if he thinks it’s in his best interest to go somewhere else, I support his decision.  Here is what I sent Kyle after he told me of his final decision: “All’s good. Mrs. Cal & I are sad and disappointed but accept your decision. Thank you for helping us win a national title and working so hard for me the last two years. Go prove me right! You can play!! I will be here for you if you need me. Love you, kid.” (Kyle Wiltjer) will always be a part of the #BBN.

3 thoughts based on the quotes and messages from Wiltjer/Calipari:

1) You don’t have to read too far between the lines to tell that Coach Cal probably thinks it would have been in Wiltjer’s best interest to stay at Kentucky. If working on his body is really what Wiltjer plans to do in his year off, Kentucky still seems like the place with the best tools and resources available for him to do so. It’s also evident that Wiltjer’s presence could certainly be helpful in the 2014-2015 season, not necessarily this upcoming season.

2) Wiltjer feels a strong connection with Big Blue Nation, his teammates and his coach

Wiltjer has always seemed really close to his teammates from the moment he arrived on campus. Whether it was WBA videos, his bromance with Jarrod Polson, etc… Wiltjer had a bond with several of his Kentucky teammates. Wiltjer’s comments about Coach Cal, and Cal’s comments about Wiltjer show that the two have a definite bond. Regardless of whether or not Cal agrees with a decision his players make, he usually backs them even to a fault. Cal will clearly always, always have Wiltjer’s back. Wiltjer has made it a point to be open and honest with the fan base throughout this decision, in large part due to his respect and love of everything about being part of Kentucky basketball. I truly believe Kyle when he says that this was one of the most difficult decisions of his life.

3) Basketball-wise, Kentucky and Kyle Wiltjer were just never quite a match. I remember Wiltjer’s commitment to Kentucky coming as a bit of a surprise in the first place, seeing as he had not yet made a visit. Wiltjer was intrigued by the thought of playing with the best of the best and competing for a national championship. Calipari was intrigued by the idea of trying to fit a different type of mold of a player into his system. The two came together with the best of intentions, but it just never panned out for either side in a way that was entirely beneficial to either.

A sincere best of luck to Kyle Wiltjer in his future endeavors. I think I have the backing of most of the Big Blue Nation too when I say in Wiltjer’s case, “Once a Cat, always a Cat.”

––––––––––

–- Moving along from the Wiltjer news… The summer basketball recruitment news and tidbits continued to trickle in today with a few interesting points of interest. Kentucky’s lone 2014 commitment, Karl Towns, squared off against 2014 5-star big man Cliff Alexander last night. Alexander bested Towns on the court, but Towns was very impressed with his counter-part. In fact, Towns told Rivals’ Alex Kline that he would like to team up with Alexander at Kentucky.

“I think Cliff is a really good player and that if he were to come to Kentucky, me and him could do really great things together.”

Towns added in a different quote later that he wants the right kind of guys to join him at Kentucky. “I want people who want to win a national title at Kentucky, not go there for one-and-done.”

Hey Karl, who says you can’t do both?

–- John Calipari and his staff continue to shift their focus for the 2014 class in a number of different directions. Yet another rather unfamiliar name as of a few weeks ago was added to the list of 2014 offers. Kentucky has extended an offer to 6-6 wingman Justise Winslow. Winslow is a 5-star forward out of Houston, Texas. Winslow recently trimmed his list to 10 schools, but his coach says that things might change now that Kentucky has offered. According to his coach, Winslow is still “wide open.”

–- Ben Roberts of the Herald Leader caught up with another potential 2014 Kentucky target in point guard Josh Perkins. Perkins still awaits an offer from Kentucky, which he has said before would be a desirable place for him to play. Perkins is still not Kentucky’s prime point guard target though, as Emmanuel Mudiay is still very much in play for the Cats. Perkins’ father told Roberts that Kentucky is still in contact, but the offer still hasn’t been made.

–––––––—

–- The recruiting news isn’t strictly limited to basketball this weekend in Lexington though. The Kentucky football program is hosting a major recruiting event this weekend at Commonwealth Stadium called Friday Night Lights. A number of the biggest targets on Kentucky’s 2014 recruiting board will be in town, including 5-star Matt Elam and 4-star offensive tackle Nick Richardson. Keep an eye on Richardson, who is considered to be the most likely to commit to the Wildcats this weekend of the bunch.

…In case you missed it the first time around, KSR’s Nick Roush had a nice breakdown of the visitors and the weekend for Kentucky football.

–––––––—

—- Former Cat Darius Miller had a nice showing in his final summer league game for the New Orleans Pelicans. Miller finished with 15 points (7-12 from the field), 4 rebounds and 2 assists.

And last but not least… for your annoying “Louisville Trash Talk” of the Day, Montrezl Harrell sounded off about next year’s Kentucky team. Whatever you do, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE let Andrew Harrison and Julius Randle read this before the game this winter.

“I’ve been asked that question a few times how we’re going to match up against UK. They are another game to us,” Harrell said. “Everybody is hyping them up but people have to realize all those guys coming in are freshmen. They haven’t even played a college game yet. So all these guys they’re hyping up, yeah they’re pretty good guys and they did pretty good in high school but that doesn’t mean anything when you get on the court.”

We shall see…We shall see…

Article written by Ally Tucker

I once successfully requested "The Wobble" to be played 6 times at one wedding.

35 Comments for Siovaughn Funches’ Saturday News and Views

1. Duuuuuude
    10:47 pm July 19, 2013 Permalink

Don’t believe it. Siovaughn Funches is scraping by on $25,000 a month already. You could give her $100,000 and it would not be enough.

2. SeaCat
    10:53 pm July 19, 2013 Permalink

Kyle will be a superstar at Gonzaga,
    or else.
    That is the last hope for slow lazy white boys.

3. SLINGBLADE
    11:10 pm July 19, 2013 Permalink

I’m sorry to see Kyle go, but frees up scolarship for Exum in November

4. I Say
    11:16 pm July 19, 2013 Permalink

Harrell is right

5. ToeTaster
    11:46 pm July 19, 2013 Permalink

Harrell is right – UK recruits are freshman, but he may want to ask Chane Behanan what dem feet tasted like.

6. Bradley
    11:47 pm July 19, 2013 Permalink

Wiltjer just decided not to be a a Cat. He couldn’t cut it. Best of luck to the Zag.

7. NO MATT JONES
    11:59 pm July 19, 2013 Permalink

I’m a little confused as to what Wiltjer means by “he will come back.” Once you walk out of that door, there is no coming back. You’re a Zag, not a Cat. I hate to see you go, but you are not part of BBN when ypu’re playing for another team.

8. True Cat
    12:03 am July 20, 2013 Permalink

He decided not to be a Cat when he got lazy, mouthed off to Coach during games, and bit the hand that fed him. This is Kentucky. Wiltjer is not guaranteed to start there either. Harrell needs to shut his mouth before Randle posterizes him later this year. Dwyane Wade needs to help his children’s mother. That’s it. I’m sleepy. Out KSR.

9. Fat Chet Lemond
    12:20 am July 20, 2013 Permalink

If she had a Maserati id rear end it. Id do it all night thanks to body shape medical

10. W.W.B.B.N.D?
    12:32 am July 20, 2013 Permalink

I like Kyle, but if he was not in shape after 2 years at UK, it is his fault.

11. red headed step child
    12:35 am July 20, 2013 Permalink

Kyle, sorry you are no longer a CAT. Hate to see you go but I can’t consider you part of #BBN any longer. Thanks for your efforts in the past two years, if you left early to the NBA you’d always be a part of the family, transfer to another school your just another player on the other team. We don’t consider Rick part of the #BBN any longer and he coached a championship team.

12. Seven Eight Nine
    12:36 am July 20, 2013 Permalink

Its funny how just about every year now, some UofL player just sounds off and whines about Kentucky to the media. Seems like Pitino needs to get his teams under control. I guess this is part of that “the right way” thing he’s got going on at Louisville.

13. Cousins Fake Tooth
    12:39 am July 20, 2013 Permalink

Traitor.

14. UK
    12:44 am July 20, 2013 Permalink

I wish Kyle the best and wish he would’ve stayed but he took Chane Behanans spot in that recruiting class…..not a troll just stating a fact

15. well
    12:46 am July 20, 2013 Permalink

Ill honestly take Eric Bledsoe and Demarcus Cousin’s opinion of our players over Harrel’s. Until he gets on that NBA court his opinion means nothing.

16. Kev
    1:24 am July 20, 2013 Permalink

Hope Wiltjer learns how to move faster at Gonzaga, but I fear weaker competition won’t help him. Best of luck, but I feel a bad move in the long run versus red shirt at UK.

17. Kev
    1:26 am July 20, 2013 Permalink

…perhaps he should’ve spent less time making WBA videos…

18. Shawn
    1:28 am July 20, 2013 Permalink

Matt Elam will go to UK. We should feel lucky too. Because, If he fit In better at Notre Dame thats where he would be going. But, because of distance and getting a feel for things he will probably never have the opportunity to get acclimated to Notre Dame. Matt Elam will be Stoops first 5 star and he will be a complete “Hoss” on the D-line. The checkered pattern will never be larger than It will be on his shoulders. Look for him to shoot up In the ratings outside of the 24/7 site If he commits to UK before the last rankings adjustment. Its kind of funny that 24/7 has shot him up In the rankings but every other site has modestly advanced him as a low 4 star. He will play In the NFL one day and have a very good career. His frame can support the weight, as It does already. But, will only improve In muscle mass over the years.

19. SeaCat
    1:49 am July 20, 2013 Permalink

Just sayin,
    Wiltjer was a slacker.
    He gained no weight or strength in
    2 years at UK.
    That was entirely his fault…

20. Buckets
    4:58 am July 20, 2013 Permalink

As Cal says, “We can’t hide you here.” Hate to see Wiltjer go but it’s on him for not getting in better shape. Last year’s team was terrible and he had his chances to step up. This just looks like he’s walking away from competition.

21. more information here
    7:51 am July 20, 2013 Permalink

I believe that is among the so much significant info for me. And i’m happy studying your article. But wanna observation on few common issues, The web site taste is ideal, the articles is really excellent : D. Good process, cheers

22. ESPN
    8:07 am July 20, 2013 Permalink

We just named MKG the most disappointing player in the Vegas summer league? Where is the story? Just another player not living up to his high school, top 5 pick, hype.

23. CATandMONKEY
    8:08 am July 20, 2013 Permalink

Best of luck to Kyle. He knows there is no GUARANTEED playing time two seasons down the road.
    He will likely be a star at Gonzaga, get a lot of West Coast press and greatly improve his visibility to NBA scouts.

That particular Harrell quote isn’t really trash talk. It isn truly valid nor do I agree with it.
    That said, Harrell only has his lukewarm frosh experience on which to base his statement. Barring any serious injury, Randle is going to make most of the competition look foolish this season.

24. jerry tiptons mustache
    8:21 am July 20, 2013 Permalink

Darius Miller not only played well last night, he had had an amazing summer league. Even with the depth that the New Orleans pelicans have at the SF and SF position, Darius has played his way into a for sure roster spot. Go get em’ D!!!

25. Lay Zee Whiteboy
    8:21 am July 20, 2013 Permalink

At this crucial juncture, Wiltjer chose the path of least resistance.

26. RealCatsFan
    9:16 am July 20, 2013 Permalink

23, how’s the weather down there in the Ukraine?

27. Jeff Garlin
    9:29 am July 20, 2013 Permalink

Good read, Ally!

28. goUKats
    9:30 am July 20, 2013 Permalink

Being an avid UK Wildcat fan and an vid reader of KSR,i sincerely hope we have read the last episode of the “Kyle Wiltjer Story.”He is gone,please no more mention of him.

29. Jordan Collard
    9:49 am July 20, 2013 Permalink

It will be tough for Cal to get highly rated 4yr guys now. Either 1-and-dones or guys like Polson, no in between. Not gonna lie, this kinda worries me for the future… especially with the 2014 class looking weak.

We need to get Jones/Okafor! How the hell is Duke leading for the top 2 players??

30. deez
    10:43 am July 20, 2013 Permalink

That crazy broad needs to find a job and stop being a worthless leech on society

31. BigBoyBlue
    11:05 am July 20, 2013 Permalink

No, not once a Cat always a Cat! Situations are different but Kyle is choosing to leave. They must have video editing included in their weight lifting program. Good riddance!!!
    I hope a current player steals his girlfriend when he leaves.

32. Bobbum man
    11:51 am July 20, 2013 Permalink

22- it was posted several days ago, run along now troll

33. Players First?
    11:53 am July 20, 2013 Permalink

I thought this was our type of program? First Cow runs off Ryan Harrow and now he runs off Wiltjer. I thought he was all about the players? The real players first program just had two top four picks in the most recent draft. Cow is a snake oil salesman and recruits are starting to find this out. How long until the NCAA does too?

34. silverado
    1:50 pm July 20, 2013 Permalink

If Kyle had not signed with us, we would have lost him like we lose other good players because of the great players we now sign. It’s the way of the world. There is NO reason to smack him now. Sometimes you just don’t know if you fit into a system until you try it. He tried it and it turned out not to be a good fit for him, but he’s still a good guy, he’s loyal to the BBN, his teammates and Cal – he just felt he had to leave. Put yourself in his position. He wants to play in the league. No PT here would hurt him. Smart guy.

35. RealCatsFan
    2:05 pm July 20, 2013 Permalink

33, That is friggin’ hilarious – IU the “real players first program”! Yeah, two top 4 picks and a Sweet Sixteen to show for it. Crean’s been thinking about his players first a lot – a whole lot!