Greg Oden’s Saturday News and Views

For a long time, I was certain that Greg Oden was the real-life Benjamin Button. Oden hasn’t looked a day under 45 since he was in high school. I thought maybe, just maybe, he was aging backwards and perhaps would become a strapping young lad by the time he was in his 8th year in the NBA. A lot was wrong with that theory, but mostly the part about him having a long, or even existent NBA career. Oden was the #1 overall pick in the 2007 NBA Draft as selected by the Portland Trailblazers. Before Oden could even play in his first NBA game, he underwent microfracture surgery of the knee and missed his entire rookie season. Since that moment, Oden has continually battled injury after injury. Oden moved into that unfortunate and select group of players who will forever be labeled as “Busts” by the teams who drafted them early and pinned the hopes of their franchise on their shoulders. The Trailblazers still haven’t completely recovered from the whiff.

Tonight, Greg Oden announced the NBA team he plans to re-join from free agency. A number of teams seemed interested in taking a big chance on the shaky health of the 7-footer. The reigning back-to-back NBA champs were the team to do it though. The Miami Heat signed Greg Oden tonight for a 2-year minimum deal with a player option for the 2nd year. The Heat are taking a gamble, but if Oden does wind up being healthy, they are getting a potentially strong big man for a discounted price. And if Oden doesn’t pan out? Well, the Heat are still the defending NBA champions and have LeBron James on the roster. Things could certainly be worse.

And now on to the news and views of the day…

—- Add another player to the list of potential targets for John Calipari and Kentucky in the class of 2014. Calipari recently began to show interest in another point guard, Tyler Ulis. Ulis is a 5’8″ point guard in the class of 2014 and is ranked as the 49th best overall player in the class. Ulis also holds offers from Michigan State, Northwestern, Purdue, DePaul, Iowa and USC. Ulis’ father told Adam Zagoria that Cal has not yet offered, but his son still plans to visit Kentucky in the near future. Calipari has already offered two 5-star point guards in the class of 2014 in Tyus Jones/Jahlil Okafor Tyus Jones and Emmanuel Mudiay. Kentucky has also expressed interest in another point guard, Josh Perkins. Perkins, like Ulis, does not yet hold an offer though he holds Kentucky in high regard.

Ulis would be a major break from the mold of Calipari’s point guards with length. Most of Cal’s best point guards have been big points guards, at least 6’2″ or taller.

—- Speaking of Tyus Jones, Gary Parrish caught up with Jahlil Okafor’s AAU coach who told him that Duke is probably the current leader for the Tyus Jones/Jahlil Okafor package deal.

—- 5-star big man Jahlil Okafor also told said in his most recent blog for USA Today that he will not be attending Big Blue Madness.

“A lot of coaches want me to come down for Midnight Madness, which makes sense. I know I’ve spoken to Kentucky about that, but I won’t be able to make Big Blue Madness. I’ll probably go at a later date.”

Kentucky’s Big Blue Madness is the same weekend as Okafor’s father’s birthday, which is why he isn’t looking to schedule any trips for that weekend. Okafor did say that he and point guard Tyus Jones are planning on taking a few visits together.

—- Switching gears to football for a moment, Kentucky is still in hot pursuit of 4-star wide receiver Braxton “Honey Nut” Berrios. Berrios recently received an offer from Miami (Fla), a school he said he grew up dreaming about playing for. Stoops and his staff recently sent off 104 letters in the mail to Berrios, who seemed impressed by the gesture.

“#BBN I think this speaks for itself. 104 handwritten letters from the coaching staff…#UK.”

Stoops Blue Blazer 2

(Mark Stoops looking sharp in a Blue Blazer at the Kick-off Luncheon)

—- ESPN’s SEC Blog does an “Opening Camp” special on each of the teams in the SEC. Today, ESPN looked at Kentucky’s status heading into fall camp. Here are a few highlights:

Key Battle: First-year coach Mark Stoops enters his first fall with the Wildcats with a three-headed quarterback battle on his hands. Though Maxwell Smith is the veteran and was the starter before injuries cut his 2012 season short, sophomore Jalen Whitlow appeared to leave spring with the edge at the position. He and classmate Patrick Towles played during Smith’s absence last fall and will continue to push for the starting spot during camp.

Of Note: The Wildcats owned one of the country’s youngest and most inexperienced teams in 2012. Kentucky played 14 true freshmen, ranking sixth nationally. A total of 27 true freshmen played, including redshirt freshmen, which ranked fourth in the country.

Predicted order of finish at Media Days: Picked to finish seventh in the SEC East at SEC Media Days.

—- Mark Stoops won’t let any of Kentucky’s potential shortcoming derail him and his staff from a laser-like focus heading into camp on Monday. As Kentucky prepares for the circus of media day and the first day of camp, Stoops and his staff are relying on what they call a “diverse, single-minded coaching staff.” In a Cats Scratches special story from UKAthletics.com, they talk about the cohesiveness of the newly assembled coaching staff.

“Coach Eliot and I have been to three, four, five stops together and he knows what I want to do defensively,” Stoops said. “So that was very important to let me do all the things that I’ve been doing in the community, get out there and be in charge of the whole program.”

—- In news we would probably all rather not spend too much time talking about, Terrence Jones pled not guilty today in court to his harassment charge. His lawyer claims that Jones may have tripped over the sleeping homeless man, whose body was partially “extended onto the sidewalk,” yelled at him to “wake up,” and then nudged him with his foot. In another statement his lawyer said that Jones is a “gentleman and doesn’t have a mean bone in his body.” Jones is due back in court on September 6th.

—- Around the Horn said it best in regards to Louisville receiving a commitment from former Auburn stud/troubled running back Michael Dyer: “Did Louisville just lock up the championship for… whatever conference it is that they are in now?”

—- Larry Vaught caught up with Anthony Davis recently at one of John Calipari’s pro camps. Davis had nothing but good things to say about Cal and the team that he was part of during the national championship run in 2012. Davis had some telling words on what it took to be a part of a team to win a championship.

“It wasn’t a one-man show. Coach Cal did a great job and all the coaches to make sure we left our egos at the door and made us play together,” said Davis. “We had great veterans on that team in Terrence (Jones) and Doron (Lamb), Darius (Miller). We all tried to do it for Darius because he wanted to win a ring before he left. That was like one of our goals, to do it for him.

It was fun. We haven’t grasped the situation yet, as far as winning a championship. Probably a couple years from now we’ll really start feeling it. But it was great.”

And last but certainly not least… Alabama fans just give us wayyyyyy too much to work with. See anything wrong with the tattoo below? Sooooo close to getting it all right.

(Via Dead Spin)

Article written by Ally Tucker

I once successfully requested "The Wobble" to be played 6 times at one wedding.

60 Comments for Greg Oden’s Saturday News and Views

1. Jerrence Tones
    10:36 pm August 2, 2013 Permalink

I think that’s the guy I stomped- I mean tripped over!

2. Spellng
    10:38 pm August 2, 2013 Permalink

Allegence…nice.

3. Coot McGillicudy
    10:40 pm August 2, 2013 Permalink

@2 Still better than THE VILLE tattoos, of which I’ve seen over 10.

4. TJ
    10:50 pm August 2, 2013 Permalink

1 You still mad about us stomping your birds when I was at UK? I had the pleasure of stomping y’all 3 times. It was sweet stomping you at Yum, but bouncing your butts out of the Final Four was sweeter.

5. red headed step child
    11:13 pm August 2, 2013 Permalink

@4, I enjoyed you stomping that a$$, the final for was actually a kick in the nuts.

Is tide spelled with two “T’s”

6. red headed step child
    11:23 pm August 2, 2013 Permalink

Four

7. GED
    11:32 pm August 2, 2013 Permalink

@2 – Allegence, Allegiance, what the heck? Public schools don’t teach spelling anyway.

8. Joshua
    11:43 pm August 2, 2013 Permalink

allegiance is not spelled correctly.

9. Chicago Chris
    11:54 pm August 2, 2013 Permalink

Found it, it is supposed to be: “I’m stupid by the grace of God”

10. theSkinny81
    12:02 am August 3, 2013 Permalink

Ha! Even ESPN realizes how ridiculous UL is.

11. Ridge Runner
    12:36 am August 3, 2013 Permalink

I think Oden would make a good black-Frankenstein. Be kinda cool.

12. Ridge Runner
    12:38 am August 3, 2013 Permalink

or better yet… what was the dudes name who played the Adams Family butler? dang it…anyway, moving on…

13. Mark
    12:44 am August 3, 2013 Permalink

“a 5’8″ point guard in the class of 2014 and is ranked as the 49th best overall player in the class”? I think this is where we say “In Cal we trust”.

ridge, butler was “Lurch” and yes I can see it.

14. Lurch
    12:44 am August 3, 2013 Permalink

“You rang”?

15. YSR2KSR
    1:01 am August 3, 2013 Permalink

im very comforted by the fact that god has a sense of humor. she showed this southern dolt what grace was when he marked his body with something foolish

16. BPsycho
    1:45 am August 3, 2013 Permalink

#14 Ha!

17. CatDaddy
    2:05 am August 3, 2013 Permalink

Allegiance is allegedly misspelled

18. SeaCat
    2:07 am August 3, 2013 Permalink

Ally! Glad u r back on track!
    Super skilled!
    Now to the news: 5’8″ point guard?
    Wow?
    This gives me pause..

19. timothy feld
    8:12 am August 3, 2013 Permalink

On his other forearm, the Alabama fan wrote: “The South will rise agan.”

20. Jesker
    8:28 am August 3, 2013 Permalink

What’s the over/under on Around The Horn guests who can name 1 starter on our football team????

21. Carlos Danger
    8:31 am August 3, 2013 Permalink

Definition of “allegence”- Alabama pride

22. sckysportsink
    8:32 am August 3, 2013 Permalink

(Something like) Will Rogers said a century ago,”It’s not a very creative person that can’t find more than one way to spell the same word,” but then, again, he had enough sense to not have it tattooed into his arm.

23. Tim
    8:40 am August 3, 2013 Permalink

Dyer to Louisville is being way overlooked by us as a rival. This guy could be up for the heisman his senior year!!!! Look at his stats and as a rival school it’s not good!!!! The guy was the number 11 player in the nation Out of high school and has proved his ability in college. Yes he has had problems in the past but I wish uk would have tried to move in on him.

24. Tim
    8:42 am August 3, 2013 Permalink

The only rb ranked ahead of him was lattimore!!!!

25. Tim
    8:44 am August 3, 2013 Permalink

And no I’m not a “troll” I’m just saying he looks like a game changer

26. Archie
    8:52 am August 3, 2013 Permalink

Terreance did not stomp on anyone, he was trying to make them eat they feet.

27. NotSatire
    8:53 am August 3, 2013 Permalink

I kin spel reel gud to…Roll!

28. hawkeye tim
    8:57 am August 3, 2013 Permalink

Tim—I agree….I don’t think anyone believes we have a chance at beating UL this year. Dyer is another weapon but he will only be there one year….then it will be our turn.

29. dWade
    9:07 am August 3, 2013 Permalink

If we give a 5’8″ PG some attention, Billy Donovan will troll what Cal is doing and land him. It’ll be Erving Walker 2.0

30. tdogg40330
    9:14 am August 3, 2013 Permalink

28) UK will ruin UL’s season for them early and I can’t wait to see it.

31. Tim
    9:24 am August 3, 2013 Permalink

28. Honestly if he was our rb it would really open the field for whatever qb we going with because he is such a threat. He could have been a major difference in a game for us throughout the year. I hope We can pull off the big upset though

32. Joe
    9:32 am August 3, 2013 Permalink

Could be, IF he’s not in jail and/or still on the team…UofL is his THIRD team, right?

Generally, I believe in Second Chances and Redemption, but third chances??? Not so much…If UofL was his second stop, well I’d say “Good on you Charlie Strong.” As he’s been tossed from two other teams, no I don’t think UK was willing to take the chance and I don’t blame them. Fran Curci’s team ought to have demonstrated the danger of criminals in your program, or Aaron Hernandez or Tim Tebow and Johnny Football and the disruptive power of off-field antics and the resultant media circus.

Basically, taking him says, “UK is desperate.” And I don’t think that is the attitude or aura Stoops wants to or needs to project. Yes, we are 2-10, yes we are cellar-dwellers, BUT to move past that, in any meaningful and sustained way, is going to require something more than flash-in-the-pans…it requires a program and some belief in that program. Taking Dyer says, UK is lacking in the confidence of its recruits and program, and is interested in a short-term gain, even at the cost to the program, in the long-term.

Tim, I’d say you are amongst either the more Christian or more Bobby Petrino school of thought…either very forgiving or simply willing to overlook glaring flaws of character, for short-term and often illusory gain. I’ll stick with forgiving.

33. Laker Cat 18
    9:33 am August 3, 2013 Permalink

Just now listening to yesterday’s show. Saturdays are boring on the show threads. LOL.

34. tatted 4 life
    9:38 am August 3, 2013 Permalink

damn you autocorrect !

35. Tim
    9:40 am August 3, 2013 Permalink

32. Dude you are insane of you think it wouldn’t be good if he wasn’t in our backfield. All if he messed up again what’s the worst that could happen? Kick him off the team?

36. Tim
    9:41 am August 3, 2013 Permalink

35. I’m typing on my cell phone at work. No I don’t pay attention to that

37. goUKats
    9:46 am August 3, 2013 Permalink

Terrance Jones will get his case moved to Florida,have a trial,be found innocent and given the key to the city.

38. Joe
    9:47 am August 3, 2013 Permalink

Until he’s arrested, or kicked off the team….look you want to measure him by his on-filed performance, fine…I just keep noticing that two other teams had his on-field performance and in the end, said, “Thanks but no thanks, take a hike.”

Again like Bobby Petrino, great for a few years and then *BOOM*…

I’ve been down this road before as a UK fan…this time, I know it’s a long-shot, to build the program to a mid-level competitor and stay there…to become UGA…a play-uh. But you don’t get there acting as IF the only way is to take on thugs and losers.

Taking on Dyer is taking on a risk we don’t need…he’s only here a year, right? We’re not going bowling this year with or without him…we’re going 4-8, at best. So WITH him we runt he risk of media circus, jail time, team thefts, and dissension in the locker room OR simply going 4-8….

I see downside, but not enough upside to justify the risk. SURE, if we were his SECOND stop, I’d feel differently.

39. bmt22033
    9:52 am August 3, 2013 Permalink

Calipari knows best but his interest in Josh Perkins and now Tyler Ulis is starting to give me an uneasy feeling about Mudiay. Yes, yes, I know John Wall and Eric Bledsoe, etc., etc., so it’s not necessary a bad sign that Cal is looking into multiple PGs but man, I hope he lands Mudiay. That kid is awesome!

40. Tim
    9:55 am August 3, 2013 Permalink

38. I’m not going to argue with you like a child. But see the outcome of u of l being in a major bowl with him possibly being a major difference in certain games. All I’m saying is uk could use him, thug or not. It would be better than winning 3 or 4 games this year. That all I’m saying dude calm down

41. Tim
    9:55 am August 3, 2013 Permalink

Or 39 sorry

42. Tim
    9:56 am August 3, 2013 Permalink

And you can’t tell me it wouldn’t be a more interesting year if he was in the backfield

43. KrazyKat
    10:02 am August 3, 2013 Permalink

Now that UL is patrol the all amerca conference ther new slogan is getting a little longer; L1C4D2

44. Al/in/Indy
    10:11 am August 3, 2013 Permalink

On a day that report that Dyer is going to Uvel AND the NSA reports of a possible terrorist threat is a coincidence…..I think not!
    By the way it was also reported that bullet proof vests in Jefferson County are in high demand and could lead to shortages around the Ghetto school residences. That is all.

45. Terry Blue
    10:15 am August 3, 2013 Permalink

You guys that are in the Twitter World need to let Braxton Berrios know the #BBN wants him and help the staff get him here

46. Wall2Cousins
    10:47 am August 3, 2013 Permalink

Oden “Brutha you look like your 40!” let me see some ID.

47. Buddha
    10:53 am August 3, 2013 Permalink

5’8″ Point Guards Don’t Win Championships.

No Offense shorty.

48. Buddha
    10:54 am August 3, 2013 Permalink

…but it’s not 1950

49. MustangCat
    11:38 am August 3, 2013 Permalink

Calm down is right. Dyer will be in and out of Louisville it’ll seem like he was just passin thru anyway. Strong likes the thug type. Birds of a feather flock to UL. He probably showed the kid the press clippings of how he had the back of those twins of his that assaulted that UL player in the locker room. Sure that won him over. Probably thought he’d found his daddy. UL is still in hot water where Hurtt is concerned, and that means Bridgyboy too! They are attached at the hip. UK may wind up with the win this year no matter what. can we say vacated.

50. Parker
    12:07 pm August 3, 2013 Permalink

I think the man with chained nipple peircings is pretty bad…

51. Jeffrey
    12:19 pm August 3, 2013 Permalink

Can’t hate on the man’s tattoo, he’s passionate about the school, and its program, no hate there.

52. Jeffrey
    12:24 pm August 3, 2013 Permalink

lol just realized allegiance is spelled wrong.

53. Cool Daddy
    12:34 pm August 3, 2013 Permalink

Terrence Jones is someone that I never want to see or hear about again. Extremely mean spirited and uncool thing to do. Doing this to someone who is so vulnerable is sociopathic behavior. I hope that MJ realizes that at some point you have to cut a UK player completely loose. If I hear that Terrence is a good guy and just made a young person mistake followed by arguing then I may be done with this site and the show.

54. Your an idiot says
    1:38 pm August 3, 2013 Permalink

30) Do you really think you chumps have a chance of beating us? Good luck with that! You will have a hard enough avenging last years loss to Western!

55. Maxbps8
    2:04 pm August 3, 2013 Permalink

“No Ragrets!”

56. Megan
    4:54 pm August 3, 2013 Permalink

Love the Oden pic. A boy and his dog. How cute.

57. bluristhurr
    9:53 pm August 3, 2013 Permalink

@53 Terrance Jones is a good guy and made a young bone headed mistake

58. Southern Class
    10:20 pm August 3, 2013 Permalink

What’s wrong with it? It’s a tattoo that has no meaning. Tattoos=trashy.

59. senior class
    12:15 am August 4, 2013 Permalink

guess the tattoo guy figured spell check would catch it…

60. Tampa Satchel
    2:44 pm August 4, 2013 Permalink

Should’ve spelled phonetically like they say it around there, “UH-leeee-junce.”