Saturday Morning Sausage Links

What’s for breakfast, Big Blue Nation? I’ve got some sausage links on the griddle, biscuits in the oven and gravy on the stove. A warm pot of fresh-brewed Folgers is waiting to wash it all down. You jealous? The longer I wait around here, the more likely it is I burn my meal and ruin the morning. So allow me to serve you a piping hot platter of hyperlinks so I can get back to the kitchen.

************

— Many are speculating on the impact UK President Eli Capilouto’s alcohol ban will have on attendance this evening — especially in the corner student sections of Commonwealth Stadium. According to a Kentucky Kernel poll, of the majority who voted, students plan to boycott the game entirely by staying home. A fair percentage of other students plan to go, tailgate, and drink anyway.

The Herald-Leader put together a little slideshow of facts, stats and other tidbits about the UK-USC game this evening. It’s worth a quick look to get your morning started. And to get your body prepared for the rough game ahead.

Kansas head coach Bill Self has a new contract worth $52 million through 2022. The new deal bumps Self up one spot in the highest paid coaches list in college basketball. Self was fifth last season according to USA Today, his new annual salary of $3,856,000 moves him ahead of Billy Donovan for fourth, but still behind John Calipari, Rick Pitino and Mike Krzyzewski.

— The high school football game of the week hit the field last night, Trinity versus cross-town rival St. Xavier. In front of 30,000 fans, the Shamrocks won the game 34-7.

Kentucky women’s soccer earned a 2-2 draw with No. 6-ranked Texas A&M last night.

— A lot of information about the basketball television schedule came out yesterday. If you missed it or want a recap, UK Athletics has your back. There is a lot of national coverage in there.

Article written by Stuart Hammer

B.S. Broadcast Journalism from the University of Kentucky. @StuartHammerKSR

10 Comments for Saturday Morning Sausage Links

1. lhw
    10:31 am September 29, 2012 Permalink

Will the Trinity vs St. X game have a bigger crowd than UK vs USC?

2. tdogg40330
    10:45 am September 29, 2012 Permalink

1) It shouldn’t, Joker fans or not, UK fans need to come out and get behind the team.

3. imwithtdogg
    11:02 am September 29, 2012 Permalink

People who boycott this game because they can’t act like fools, only hurt themselves.
    Maybe they should all think about checking into a rehab facility. Now the rest of
    us and our children can enjoy the game in peace. GO BIG BLUE!!!

4. idiot leaders
    11:05 am September 29, 2012 Permalink

#2 – STFU. If the people sit back and come to games no matter how bad the product, the AD will continue to screw us and keep joker. I support the kids – I WANT TO GIVE THEM A REAL COACH, that’s more than jokers like you.

And the president coming out this week (of all weeks) – just shows he knows nothing. I hope the student section is empty!

5. Rixter
    11:08 am September 29, 2012 Permalink

‘Enjoy’ the game? Do you enjoy watching a train run over a pedestrian? Hell, I’d suggest avoiding the game simply for self-preservation.

6. tdogg40330
    11:18 am September 29, 2012 Permalink

4) Keepin on thinkin that and making excuses, you are a “bandwagon” fan. I think the new coach
    thing has come to their attention already no matter how many fans come out. Piss on you !!

by the way, the students brought that onto themselves. If they wanna get drunk and start
    fights …. then thats what they get.

7. bluefan
    11:29 am September 29, 2012 Permalink

#1 sadly, yes.
    Has James Young arrived on campus?
    Go CATS!!

8. Rae
    12:00 pm September 29, 2012 Permalink

6. Punishing the many for the actions of a few is a grade school tactic. Besides, over a quarter of the students are allowed legally to drink. Personally, I find it dumb that you can be old enough to go to war but not old enough to drink your sorrows away.

Drunken fights happen everywhere. If you really want to punish for it, have the police arrest the offenders.

9. Michael
    12:51 pm September 29, 2012 Permalink

I don’t think anyone would be a “bandwagon” fan for UK football. You have to be a winning program contending for a national title every year. UK football doesn’t qualify for that no matter who the coach is. I would like to see Joker to succeed, but I don’t see that happening. Until then, I will turn on the game, watch until about half-time and find another SEC game on. I’m not a “bandwagon” fan; I’m a realist who knows our team isn’t very good and enjoy watching good football. Sometimes it’s just too painful to watch.

10. Copy&Paste
    8:43 pm September 29, 2012 Permalink

USA Today WTF is a USA Today? Forbes would argue Kansas has the 2nd highest paid college coach behind your beloved Cal.