Saturday Morning Links

Fun fact, I once knew a dog who could climb a chain link fence. That, my friends, is talent.

I don’t know about you guys, but Thanksgiving weekend at home is kind of kicking my you-know-what. Hopefully you all are in the same shape I am, and are in the mood to read some casual links until the hangover goes away/the football game starts/the pain of watching two horrible football teams goes away as well. Links, come and get em.

UK won last night, a fact to which I attribute 95% of how I feel right now. You’ve read the KSR version of events, now read the CBS Sports side of the story.

-Today has been circled on my calendar since Wednesday night as the day that Ryan Harrow will *hopefully* return to the Wildcat Coal Lodge. If for some odd reason that doesn’t happen, John Clay ain’t even worried about it; he says that the Cats’ offense is doing just fine without their top point guard.

-No list is complete without a link to another list, so here are the 10 Most Memorable Games of the Calipari Era, as determined by Bleacher Report. Get ready for a nostalgic trip down memory lane, or, if you’re like me, get ready to watch the Knight/Ohio State shot over and over again until football game time.

-Speaking of football, today is the Kentucky equivalent of the Sacko Bowl from The League. Or the Walking Dead Bowl, or the Coachless Bowl… any number of pithy names are available for one of the weirdest UK-UT matchups we’ve seen in awhile. Here’s Jen Smith with how the Cats are managing to stay motivated despite the tough circumstances.

-Just to ensure that you are well-informed about college basketball teams besides Kentucky, here’s a Grantland post with four takeaways from the Legends Classic (which featured Indiana, UCLA, Georgetown, and Georgia). Obligatory “Bob Knight is discussed” warning.

-I got you a post-Thanksgiving present. It’s Kevin Durant rapping. You’re welcome.

@KristenGeilKSR. I’ll be here all morning.

Article written by Kristen Geil

32 Comments for Saturday Morning Links

1. Catfan4444
    10:13 am November 24, 2012 Permalink

Flea flicker today at Neyland…. Go Cats!!!!

2. yup
    10:14 am November 24, 2012 Permalink

Any actual news about the coaching search instead of rumors?

3. kentuckyjoe
    10:22 am November 24, 2012 Permalink

I have a feeling Willie will be in the starting lineup pretty soon. Kyle can challenge Julius for the fifth spot. Archie has the PG spot wrapped up and Ryan, nor anyone, will take it away. I’m pretty certain Cal will be interested to know how I would do it. As UK fans, telling the coach how it should be done is our birthright.

4. Bob Cobb
    10:50 am November 24, 2012 Permalink

Goodwin, Noel, and Poythress are starters. Harrow, Mays, Wiltjer, and Cauley-Stein are competing for the other 2 spots. The team’s success on offense will depend on getting high percentage looks for Noel and Poythress, (Archie will get his). That could mean that the best lineup is Harrow, Mays, Goodwin, Poythress, and Noel, giving UK three players who can really distribute.

5. bluebarnes
    10:54 am November 24, 2012 Permalink

When UK defeats UT today won’t that mean Barnhart can sell UK as a better standing program than UT with a 2 game win streak going. Just an observation from last night which is worse UK fans listening tl Larry Conley or have David Williams in the house?

6. Mike
    10:56 am November 24, 2012 Permalink

When the FB coaching comes to an end be curious to know how many prospects turned us down.

7. Hulk
    10:58 am November 24, 2012 Permalink

Its amazing how so many people continue to say or believe that harrow is better than jarrod. He’s not & has dominated harrow from the beginning. People with inside knowledge know this. I doubt harrow will come back. The pressure got to him. He knew he had to do well enough to get out this year because next year, he’s not gonna play.

8. Delk for 3
    11:01 am November 24, 2012 Permalink

7 — Yeah, I don’t think so….

9. TampaCat
    11:04 am November 24, 2012 Permalink

Gang I truly do bleed blue however, be real….. I have been for more than 30 years of horrible football. UK – 7 UT – 48.

10. Hulk
    11:07 am November 24, 2012 Permalink

@#8, you probably think Elisha justice is better than him. Like I said amazing or should I say ignorance.

11. Rae
    11:31 am November 24, 2012 Permalink

9. It won’t be that bad, I think. UT doesn’t care. Their coach is already gone. At least UK has a goal of sending Joker out nicely.

12. Bob Cobb
    11:38 am November 24, 2012 Permalink

Against good teams Polson should only see emergency minutes. Better than the garbage minutes of the other walk-ons, but if he is even a primary backup this team is in serious trouble. He can’t run the offense very well against a team with good on-ball pressure.

13. Hulk
    11:49 am November 24, 2012 Permalink

@#12, your opinion is based on what? Don’t say duke. If you do the discussion stops. They all had trouble guarding & executing. Maybe you should study uk’s offensive sets to understand better. I have. Have you been to practice? I have. He’s been going against John wall, Brandon knight, Teague. Do you think he is worried about other guards?

14. Bob Cobb
    12:17 pm November 24, 2012 Permalink

He can’t beat anyone off the dribble and has to turn his back on the defender and wait for someone to come get the ball when he is pressured. He doesn’t have to worry about guards because he shouldn’t get significant minutes.

15. hulk
    12:24 pm November 24, 2012 Permalink

he he, bob if thats what you see I hope your not coaching somewhere. like I said, you may want to educate yourself or at least go on coach cal and see what cal says. or read clay’s article this morning. thanks for the laugh.

16. kentuckyjoe
    12:43 pm November 24, 2012 Permalink

I’m with Hulk (and not Bob) on this. If it became necessary Jarrod could be the main point guard. So, we have no worries at the point guard position. First Archie, then Jarrod. And if Ryan gets in shape he’ll definitely fit in there somewhere.

17. Bob Cobb
    1:27 pm November 24, 2012 Permalink

Getting the most out of your limited ability doesn’t make you good. Polson is solid for what he is: an emergency point guard. You probably thought Hunter McClintock was a future Player of the Year. If your best attribute is scrappiness, that means you aren’t very good. People who don’t understand basketball will love you, but you aren’t very good. That’s Polson in a nutshell.

18. Hulk
    1:51 pm November 24, 2012 Permalink

Thanks Kentuckyjoe. I agree he’s a more than capable backup. People forget that he received several d1 offers. Bob, your showing your ignorance again. You don’t know the player at all. Scrappy is not his best attribute. He was the best player in ky his senior year. He is doing exactly what caliperi wants him to do when he’s in. He’s not out there to be the leading scorer. He’s out there to do the little things, run the team, etc. That’s what harrow couldn’t do (facilitate). He wanted to score too & was not a great defender. If you know so much about basketball bob, I’d love to see you play jarrod 1 on 1. He he.

19. Bob Cobb
    2:33 pm November 24, 2012 Permalink

He is for the most part doing what Cal wants him to do: not completely killing us when Cal is forced to use him. You keep using these stupid deflections like calling me ignorant, laughing, and for some reason stating the obvious fact that I couldn’t beat Polson one on one (he he). Perhaps you should try to explain why Harrow started every preseason game and the one regular season game in which he was physically able to play. I’ll give you the answer: Harrow is better and Cal knows it. Cal isn’t going to just hand Harrow the starting job again and is going to make him fight for playing time, but his primary competition is Julius Mays. Cal’s coach-speak is there to motivate individual players, not inform the fan base. That is what you fail to understand.

20. Hulk
    2:53 pm November 24, 2012 Permalink

Bobby, are you a politician? Your pounding the podium. Blanket statements don’t make you right. Actually your completely wrong. You really don’t know what your looking at or talking about & obviously never been around polson or seen him at his best. Obviously you didnt play much or coach. You’ve only seen him on tv. As far as explaining about harrow, I did earlier. Plus there are things you have to take into consideration about the recruiting strategy being used that affect decisions which I understand. If you want the best players that part of it. Oh, he’s not a walk on. He’s been on scholarship for 3 years. He was a walk on for 2 weeks before the season his freshman year. He’s a good player and super person. You should be happy for the kid. Guess what, harrows not back. It’s 3 o’clock Saturday. If he comes back, your looking at atleast 4 weeks. That January. Chemistry issues, etc. & like I said. He’s not a facilitator & won’t play next year.

21. Bob Cobb
    3:06 pm November 24, 2012 Permalink

I’m pounding the podium? Project much?

And it is “You’re”. As in “You’re a dumbass trying to do an impersonation of someone with intellect.”

I’m glad Polson is a good person who works hard. However, if I need a major medical procedure I will go to the most skilled surgeon. YOU’RE free to find the nicest most hardworking person in the world who owns a sharp instrument.

22. Hulk
    4:08 pm November 24, 2012 Permalink

He he he he. Finally resorted to cursing. Bobby your an ignorant, blowhard, tool. Have a good weekend

23. steveno
    4:26 pm November 24, 2012 Permalink

This is an interesting find on Ryan harrow- http://www.statefansnationforums.com/topic.php?id=4981.
    The correlation to what’s going on now does not seem coincidental.

24. steveno
    4:31 pm November 24, 2012 Permalink

25. steveno
    4:32 pm November 24, 2012 Permalink

Oops same one.. hold on ill try to find the other forum’s address

26. Bob Cobb
    4:35 pm November 24, 2012 Permalink

When calling someone ignorant it is imperative that you properly distinguish between “your” and “you’re”. I must be talking to one of those swooning middle schoolers Buzz was talking about last night.

When I read your comments all I can see is “git moar uh dem what boys dats wut we nede!”.

27. steveno
    4:47 pm November 24, 2012 Permalink

http://www.statefansnationforums.com/topic.php?id=8956 here is the other. a lot of it is state fans bashing him but also a lot of it talks about his mentality and personality and the issues he is dealing with. I do hope the kid is doing well and I wish him and his family best.

28. Hulk
    4:55 pm November 24, 2012 Permalink

Yeah booby auto correct is a bitch. I meant Bobby he he. Are you just trying to get the last word in?in that case, lasts, double cross, no take backs, you suck.

29. Hulk
    5:01 pm November 24, 2012 Permalink

Oh yeah booby, are you talking about the hunter McClintock who is 3″ shorter, 30 lbs lighter, and 1/2 the athlete, who plays for oral roberts? What a terrible comparison. Are you from north Carolina? Makes sense now. Your just jealous.

30. Bob Cobb
    5:02 pm November 24, 2012 Permalink

You mean your auto correct is dumb, too?

My skin is clearly too thin.

31. Bob Cobb
    5:07 pm November 24, 2012 Permalink

It wasn’t a comparison. Unless you think Polson is a player of the year candidate. Which you may.

32. Max Arnold
    10:16 pm November 24, 2012 Permalink

Harrow is upset that his woman dumped him. He is all over tweeter, check it out if you tweet, did not tweet if he is back or not. We need to give this girl a weggie!