– After a waitress mentioned that players were “comped” for their food, UK athletics can not associate itself with Joe Bologna’s for three years. This is a result of a self-reported violation in the fall of 2008.
– Today is the day of reckoning for the Memphis basketball program, who will go before the NCAA this morning. Coach Calipari will be calling in from China.
– Clay Travis, obviously completely unaware that Calipari makes an annual trip to China for several weeks, writes that he will be in The People’s Republic to dodge NCAA heat. He then runs down the ten reasons you can tell Calipari is nervous.
– Gene Frenette of The Florida Times-Union writes that “Calipari could carry cost for UK” and then challenges you to say that ten times, really quickly. Or at least he should have.
– The Arkansas Democrat Gazette has an interesting column (via the Washington Post) that says it might be time to make freshmen ineligible again. Obviously, that would never happen. But, the writer does make interesting points.
– Chris Fisher at Kentucky Ink writes an open letter to me saying that I was wrong for writing that the site said Barton had committed to UK. Fisher says he only said Barton was “definitely thinking about committing”. I didn’t have a chance to find the “open letter” from when I gave him credit for reporting a Barton commitment (which was apparently wrong), but I’m sure it’s there. Note to Chris Fisher: [email protected] probably works better. I’m not a big fan of internet nerd-fighting.
– Apparently, there is no truth to the Rajon Rondo trade rumors.
– What do you really want this Saturday Morning? How about a profile of Jeanine Edwards? You’re welcome.
– Former UK football coach Bill Curry is still getting the Georgia State football program in order and is enjoying being back at home.
– The football camp at the University of Central Missouri this year will feature Chiefs QB Brodie Croyle and former UK offensive coordinator Ron Hudson. He of “run the option with a 300-pound quarterback” fame. I had to get a Ron Hudson reference in this morning.
***UPDATE: JERRY TIPTON IS LIVE BLOGGING THE MEMPHIS NCAA INFRACTIONS HEARING. And Tipton live blogs by writing posts, not necessarily your typical live-blog format you’ve gotten used to. It’s still live and a blog though.